Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

You are a Wii U owner, right? :p

Oh yes, that I am. :p

In fairness, I trusted Nintendo after the Wii and expected the games to come, third parties to be on board, the online to be top notch. I'm an exception, the majority of people out there aren't hardcore Nintendo fans.

indeed, that's why the upgrade is more worthwhile. The difference between FIFA and COD on Wii & Wii U is vast, whereas on PS4 and XB1 it's neglible.

The difference between Battlefield 4 on the 360 to One is huge as well actually. It looked like a brand new game when I got my One.

Here’s Japans top software and hardware charts for this week.

01./03. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) – 70.021 / 890.525 <80-100%> (+12%)

02./00. [3DS] Mario Golf: World Tour (Nintendo) {2014.05.01} (¥4.937) – 58.743 / NEW <20-40%>

03./01. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.24} (¥6.664) – 26.852 / 163.588 <80-100%> (-80%)

04./02. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (Square Enix) {2014.04.24} (¥6.264) – 24.796 / 100.663 <60-80%> (-67%)

05./04. [3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour (Nintendo) {2014.03.20} (¥4.800) – 24.596 / 352.188 <80-100%> (+45%)

06./08. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800) – 11.080 / 601.005 <80-100%> (+44%)

07./12. [3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters – Tokimeki Up! (Nintendo) {2014.04.17} (¥4.936) – 8.289 / 26.532 <60-80%> (+45%)

08./06. [WIU] Famicom Remix 1+2 (Nintendo) {2014.04.24} (¥3.086) – 8.173 / 19.193 <40-60%> (-26%)

09./00. [PS4] Child of Light (Ubisoft) {2014.05.01} (¥2.138) – 7.857 / NEW <60-80%>

10./00. [PS3] Child of Light (Ubisoft) {2014.05.01} (¥2.138) – 7.857 / NEW <60-80%>

11./07. [PS3] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-Hen (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.10} (¥8.715) – 6.966 / 195.212 <80-100%> (-26%)

12./21. [WIU] Wii Party U (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥4.935) – 6.671 / 723.887 <80-100%> (+56%)

13./00. [3DS] Touch Detective: Ozawa Rina Rising 3 – Nameko wa Banana no Yume o Miru ka? (Success) {2014.05.01} (¥5.184) – 6.656 / NEW <20-40%>

14./13. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2013.12.12} (¥4.400) – 6.552 / 1.388.324 <80-100%> (+24%)

15./16. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) – 6.393 / 4.356.343 <80-100%> (+28%)

16./22. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) – 6.392 / 1.145.785 <80-100%> (+55%)

17./15. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Konami) {2014.03.20} (¥2.980) – 5.570 / 233.191 <80-100%> (+9%)

18./19. [3DS] Fossil Fighters: Infinite Gear (Nintendo) {2014.02.27} (¥4.800) – 5.395 / 156.432 <80-100%> (+22%)

19./24. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) – 5.377 / 3.453.366 <80-100%> (+32%)

20./23. [WIU] Just Dance Wii U (Nintendo) {2014.04.03} (¥6.156) – 4.988 / 44.083 <60-80%> (+21%)

• 3DS: 42.647
  • Vita: 25.606
  • PS4: 11.692
  • PS3: 9.917
  • Wii U: 8.217
  • PSP: 1.906
  • Xbox 360: 146
  • Wii: 126

Edited by Wii

Nintendo Fiscal meeting in progress.

3DS is at 43 million, Iwata supposedly doesn't specify whether that's shipped or sold.

Pokemon units world wide at over 12 million, isn't that the worse sales figure for a new generation title so far?

Bayonetta 2 is specified as a Summer 2014 release in Japan.

Legend of Zelda and SMT X Fire Emblem stated as TBD, but X is still coming out this year.

Quite a few titles missing from upcoming third party releases, even though they've been confirmed by publishers, so Nintendo must be picking and choosing though some people are finding it course for speculation.

NFC FIGURES INCOMING. Will also be compatible with 3DS through supplementary device, REVISION TIME ANY ONE?

Wii U software update to reduce start up time by 20 seconds. One user on GAF contemplates the wonders of the system starting up 5 seconds before he decides to boot it.

Still developing the quality of life third pillar, expects profits this FY (2015), slight growth in FY2016, launch of QOL platform in FY2017 (From what I understand)

34l.jpg

NFP links to software (the Japanese word used specifies plural for software)

Just as a note, this is mainly coming from David Gibson's twitter feed.

Q&A is in session, will post interesting answers to the questions

Iwata - we are preparing for next generation hardware as always doing, when release? Difficult to declare..

Iwata- not hopeless or at a loss in coming up with something new but unless existing users satisfied we cannot release next hardware

Sounds like a difficult situation. Which users is he talking about? Are they not considering potential next-gen costumers who have no interest in the Wii U? Very weird answers here.

Iwata - for QOL don't think too narrow on Nintendo, we can make things fun, health services... We know how to get people hooked

I'm actually getting really intrigued about this quality of life platform. I loved using the Pocket Pikachu pedometer and, later on, the HG&SS Pokewalker as an excuse to walk just a little bit more when I'm out to get in game goodies. I'm really curious as to what they'll come up with.

Here's the NFP reader device for the 3DS

BnFDplWCcAE6iNi.jpg

Doesn't look very user friendly. It seems to be implied that this will communicate with the 3DS by IR rather than wireless. I don't get why they're bothering to make this a thing for 3DS, Skylanders didn't do too good on the platform either. Feel like I may need to retract my earlier statement about a revision coming in based on this NFP idea, seems like it's going to be a pain either way.

Edited by Debug Mode

The difference between Battlefield 4 on the 360 to One is huge as well actually. It looked like a brand new game when I got my One.

The difference is not that great. Sure it definitely does look better, but a brand new game? Not in the slightest!

Still come perhaps E3 we may start seeing bigger differences in games.

Literally the worst games you could compare between generations.

WHY!

They are two games I have played on both systems, so have first hand experience in comparing the difference, plus a quick glance at the sale figures show they are two of the biggest franchises on the market.

So give a better example of games that are on all three systems that can be compared from last gen to this gen.

Doesn't really matter that the upgrade is more noticeable if the upgrade is still a generation behind.

Also...Wii FIFA to to Wii U FIFA? Wii FIFA to PS4 FIFA would be much more noticeable, silly. :p

we are talking about the upgrade between Wii-Wii U, PS3-PS4, 360-XB1, what point would comparing Wii Fifa to PS4 Fifa achieve SILLY!

WHY!

They are two games I have played on both systems, so have first hand experience in comparing the difference, plus a quick glance at the sale figures show they are two of the biggest franchises on the market.

So give a better example of games that are on all three systems that can be compared from last gen to this gen.

Seriously, you ask why? You're asking why a game franchise where it seems 90% of the effort goes into changing player strips and names? Ok, I'm kidding here, but since when have these games ever been about showing off graphics?

we are talking about the upgrade between Wii-Wii U, PS3-PS4, 360-XB1, what point would comparing Wii Fifa to PS4 Fifa achieve SILLY!

Come on, Christ. It's not hard to piece together what I'm saying here.

You are praising the Wii to Wii U transition as being more of an improvement than PS3 to PS4 (which is all kinds of wrong, but let's roll with this for now). You then compare Wii FIFA to Wii U FIFA. "Wow, what a difference. What a reason to upgrade". So what I'm saying is... why not compare Wii FIFA to PS4/X1 FIFA? "Wow, what a fucking rad upgrade".

Point is, if you really were just a Wii gamer, a jump to a Wii U is still far less than if you jumped to the PS4/X1, for your FIFA gaming needs. So the higher spec consoles win out in wowing people.

Wii U's upgrade will never impress as much as it is a generation behind. It doesn't matter what flawed analogies you use to try and shine a favourable light on the Wii U's performance. People do not see it that way and are not supporting it accordingly.

The difference is not that great. Sure it definitely does look better, but a brand new game? Not in the slightest!

Cross generational gaming. Gimped to the lowest common denominator with usually minor improvements on the higher spec consoles.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

WHY!

Because you're not looking at each generation on the merits of their own bespoke games, you're looking at them from not just cross-platform but cross-generation which means that a lot of compromises have to be made to make the game work across the lowest common denominator.

It's pretty goddamn obvious why. :indeed:

I assure you, there is a HUGE difference coming from my original 360 without HDMI to the Xbox One with HDMI.

Seriously, you ask why? You're asking why a game franchise where it seems 90% of the effort goes into changing player strips and names? Ok, I'm kidding here, but since when have these games ever been about showing off graphics?

Come on, Christ. It's not hard to piece together what I'm saying here.

You are praising the Wii to Wii U transition as being more of an improvement than PS3 to PS4 (which is all kinds of wrong, but let's roll with this for now). You then compare Wii FIFA to Wii U FIFA. "Wow, what a difference. What a reason to upgrade". So what I'm saying is... why not compare Wii FIFA to PS4/X1 FIFA? "Wow, what a fucking rad upgrade".

Point is, if you really were just a Wii gamer, a jump to a Wii U is still far less than if you jumped to the PS4/X1, for your FIFA gaming needs. So the higher spec consoles win out in wowing people.

Wii U's upgrade will never impress as much as it is a generation behind. It doesn't matter what flawed analogies you use to try and shine a favourable light on the Wii U's performance. People do not see it that way and are not supporting it accordingly.

Cross generational gaming. Gimped to the lowest common denominator with usually minor improvements on the higher spec consoles.

Wii U has sold circa 6 million units, I would hazard a guess that at least 98% of them upgraded from a Wii. Maybe that % percentage would not be as high for PS4 & XB1 as they are such similar consoles with mostly the same games, but the point remains that mostly people are brand loyal and upgrade. So comparing Wii Fifa to PS4 Fifa serves no purpose whatsoever in this discussion.

One word answer, is the Fifa upgrade bigger from Wii-WiiU or PS3-PS4?

I assure you, there is a HUGE difference coming from my original 360 without HDMI to the Xbox One with HDMI.

You hadn't been using HDMI with the 360? No way man. Then I can appreciate the difference will be more noticeable for you.

...Cross generational gaming. Gimped to the lowest common denominator with usually minor improvements on the higher spec consoles.

Obviously. It's why I said we'll likely see the difference being more noticeable with games shown at E3.

Iwata- not hopeless or at a loss in coming up with something new but unless existing users satisfied we cannot release next hardware

Sounds like a difficult situation. Which users is he talking about? Are they not considering potential next-gen costumers who have no interest in the Wii U? Very weird answers here.

To my previous point - who do you think these 'potential next-gen' consumers are? It IS the Wii U core that they need to work towards, as they're still showing some faith in Nintendo. I don't know how they'll attract a different market successfully and still succeed. It could be a BIGGER market, but it'll with any sense include the people that their products have already appealed to - though hopefully in a progressive sense and not a 'oh they liked this lets do more of the same with little evolution'.

Because you're not looking at each generation on the merits of their own bespoke games, you're looking at them from not just cross-platform but cross-generation which means that a lot of compromises have to be made to make the game work across the lowest common denominator.

It's pretty goddamn obvious why. :indeed:

So what you are saying is the reason FIFA, COD, AC, etc are similar on PS3 and PS4 is because they have to make sure the game runs on both systems. So in effect and to quote a review "PS4 Ghosts is PS3 Ghosts with shadows"

Wii U has sold circa 6 million units, I would hazard a guess that at least 98% of them upgraded from a Wii. Maybe that % percentage would not be as high for PS4 & XB1 as they are such similar consoles with mostly the same games, but the point remains that mostly people are brand loyal and upgrade. So comparing Wii Fifa to PS4 Fifa serves no purpose whatsoever in this discussion.

One word answer, is the Fifa upgrade bigger from Wii-WiiU or PS3-PS4?

Bolded bit is improper justification. Yes, I don't doubt most people with Wii U's will be previous Wii owners - not just Wii owners but they probably have owned other Nintendo consoles too. Basically, most of the people with Wii U's are going to be the loyal fanbase able to overlook its faults in a bid to get hold of new Nintendo software. Most of the casuals aren't on board with it like the Wii; only those with serious dedication to Nintendo consoles are biting.

PS4 owners will no doubt have more people buying it who didn't have the PS3 as it appeals to a larger audience, hence it selling not just selling to previous PS3 owners.

Anyway, back to your point. Which is what, exactly? You see a bigger jump from Wii to Wii U than PS3 to PS4. BFD. Nobody justifies things this way in the real world - people won't appreciate the Wii U's performance as much as the PS4/X1's because it is a generation behind, regardless of how much of a jump the Wii U is from the Wii. It is a pretty pointless statement. You also can't counter the fact that the Wii to PS4 jump is bigger - I'd say that even former casual Wii FIFA fans will be pretty tempted to jump to one of the other consoles. And hey, sales reflect that theory, at least.

So what you are saying is the reason FIFA, COD, AC, etc are similar on PS3 and PS4 is because they have to make sure the game runs on both systems. So in effect and to quote a review "PS4 Ghosts is PS3 Ghosts with shadows"

Yes. You didn't realise this? Multiformat games released across generations are gimped.

In about a year or so when 360/PS3 support starts to be dropped across the board, then do your comparisons. Or just look at next gen only software.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

You hadn't been using HDMI with the 360? No way man. Then I can appreciate the difference will be more noticeable for you.

Yeah my 360 was the original model and didn't have HDMI, quite possibly was a bigger difference using that but I can't imagine it would have been that much of a difference.

Exactly. Comparing something like Infamous 2 to Infamous SS would be much more apt; similar games built to the strength of each system.

Yup, the assets in both games are identical. They are currently making games for one system with the PS4/XBO version basically being the 'high settings' version. Don't you remember the huge difference between CoD3 and CoD4: Modern Warfare? CoD3 was a port of a game using old assets, and then the Modern Warfare came out and it blew everyone away.

To my previous point - who do you think these 'potential next-gen' consumers are? It IS the Wii U core that they need to work towards, as they're still showing some faith in Nintendo. I don't know how they'll attract a different market successfully and still succeed. It could be a BIGGER market, but it'll with any sense include the people that their products have already appealed to - though hopefully in a progressive sense and not a 'oh they liked this lets do more of the same with little evolution'.

I admit, market retention is definitely something Nintendo needs to focus on her as it's clearly a mistake they made with the Wii and the DS. There was no hook for customers to stick around.

But here's the issue, they need a bigger market at least to sustain the common business sense of growth. And another problem with satisfaction is, how do they measure that for the current fanbase? And how can they tell whether or not some Nintendo faithfuls who have not picked up the Wii U are ever going to be satisfied?

A customer is a stakeholder. If they buy into things, they want support. They want it to work. They want their minimum specification to be met. And as much as Nintendo consoles are usually my first choice, I still don't have much confidence in the Wii U, as I typically want one console to ride the generation with and then pick up a second platform at the end when everything is cheap to get a taste of other exclusives. So the Wii U will never be viable to me until the very end.

It's a very tricky thing. I understand Iwata to an extent that releasing a new console when the existing market isn't satisfied is a risk, but it's also risky not releasing hardware when it could very well be that they read the market wrong with the Wii U and people are just waiting out to see what's next.

Wii U and 3DS sales compared to previous Nintendo platforms

nintendo_graphs_console_final.png

nintendo_graphs_console_games_final.png

nintendo_graphs_portable_final_02.png

nintendo_graphs_portable_games_final.png

Game Informer has put together a few graphs comparing Wii U and 3DS sales to Nintendo’s previous platforms. You can find them in the gallery above, and more information at the source link below.

Source

http://nintendoeverything.com/images-wii-u-and-3ds-sales-compared-to-previous-nintendo-platforms/

Edited by Wii

Wii Party U was the top selling home console game in Japan during the last fiscal year.

Best selling title overall was Pokémon X & Y.

Incidentally, New Super Mario Bros. U was the third best selling console title in that fiscal year, and Super Mario 3D World was the fourth.

Edited by Serebii