NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

I think Sony's focus on the independent developer right from the outset has been a huge indicator they want to go back to the PS2 golden days. It's still looking like the PS2 is marginally ahead in sales than the DS, maintaining its best sold game hardware status, and I think Sony themselves are the ones who want to beat that the most after how fucking rough the PS3 was looking out of the gate.

It's funny, we compare the Wii U to the Dreamcast, but isn't it incredibly similar to the PS3? Too expensive for people to consider out of the gate (clearly it wasn't worth that amount otherwise people would have bought it), only titles the core would be interested in etc. The Dreamcast ended a companies place in the hardware industry, I doubt the Wii U will do that considering the immense reserves Nintendo has accumulated over the Wii years.

I think @ best the Wii U will hit Gamecube numbers. Ninty have the cash reserves to suffer Wii u Failure no doubt. the financial side is important but lets not forget market share.

By the time we see Nintendo's new console they will have lost a huge amount of market share from what they had with the Wii.

Getting it back will not be easy.

It's really looking like a dire situation for Nintendo, the launch before PS4 and Xbox One was there best shot to get a good consumer base for the Wii U, but they've fucked it up completely.

I think Sony's focus on the independent developer right from the outset has been a huge indicator they want to go back to the PS2 golden days. It's still looking like the PS2 is marginally ahead in sales than the DS, maintaining its best sold game hardware status, and I think Sony themselves are the ones who want to beat that the most after how fucking rough the PS3 was looking out of the gate.

It's funny, we compare the Wii U to the Dreamcast, but isn't it incredibly similar to the PS3? Too expensive for people to consider out of the gate (clearly it wasn't worth that amount otherwise people would have bought it), only titles the core would be interested in etc. The Dreamcast ended a companies place in the hardware industry, I doubt the Wii U will do that considering the immense reserves Nintendo has accumulated over the Wii years.

Well even a very expensive PS3 didn't sell so bad and more important the ps3 never lost third party support. The titles were still coming. Sony had to take a huge financial hit to turn it around but didn't lose mindshare which is important. The wii u is selling like crap and Nintendo have no mindshare at all.

Even if the dropped the price again I don't think it would make a difference.

People saying it's all about market share...that's a load of hooey. It is important in the generation? Yes. Is it an indicator of future success? No.

Look at

PS2 -> PS3

PSP -> PSV

Xbox -> Xbox 360

GCN -> Wii

All drastic changes to the marketshare.

Nintendo messed up the Wii U...that's not a question but a statement. They forgot that there are idiots around who can't tell the simplest thing. They also tried to do something new, which while amazing, is hard to explain to players without them getting their hands on it, unlike the Wiimote.

Nintendo just have to ride it out, making their great games (which review higher than PS4 titles I might add) which people love them for, and turn a small profit for this generation. Is it the ideal solution? No...but it's the necessity. They could go for a slight rebrand like the PS3 did, that may help matters...

Just have faith. If Nintendo make great games still, why does it matter :)

Nintendo just have to ride it out, making their great games (which review higher than PS4 titles I might add) which people love them for, and turn a small profit for this generation. Is it the ideal solution? No...but it's the necessity. They could go for a slight rebrand like the PS3 did, that may help matters...

Why is that even a factor? It just comes across as a fanboy comment.

People saying it's all about market share...that's a load of hooey. It is important in the generation? Yes. Is it an indicator of future success? No.

Look at

PS2 -> PS3

PSP -> PSV

Xbox -> Xbox 360

GCN -> Wii

All drastic changes to the marketshare.

Nintendo messed up the Wii U...that's not a question but a statement. They forgot that there are idiots around who can't tell the simplest thing. They also tried to do something new, which while amazing, is hard to explain to players without them getting their hands on it, unlike the Wiimote.

Just have faith. If Nintendo make great games still, why does it matter :)

If only it was so simple. The CEO has told investors the wii u will sell 9m wii u by end of financial year. Telling them games are scoring higher than PS4 games isn't going to cut it when Nintendo get nowhere near that forecast.

Why is that even a factor? It just comes across as a fanboy comment.

Of course it is :P Just putting things a little into perspective.

If only it was so simple. The CEO has told investors the wii u will sell 9m wii u by end of financial year. Telling them games are scoring higher than PS4 games isn't going to cut it when Nintendo get nowhere near that forecast.

It wouldn't be the first time for any of the gaming companies to miss targets

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Of course it is :P Just putting things a little into perspective.

It wouldn't be the first time for any of the gaming companies to miss targets

Which is irrelevant as this is about Nintendo. Iwata keeps missing his forecasts and claiming Sony have missed one isn't a valid defence.

The fanboy comment or the score factor?

Both, of course :p You're right though, I probably shouldn't have included it. I apologise.

why do we need to argue all the time in this forum.

The Wii U has sold poorly, it does not make it a bad console. If you own one as I assume everybody on this forum does, then enjoy it. It does not matter if it sells 20 million units or 120 million units, you can only play with a dozen people online at any given time.

This generation is no different to the last few, Nintendo has relied on innovation and in-house AAA titles, their rivals have relied on powerhouse hardware and major 3rd party exclusives. Apart form the Wii, Nintendo usually sells less hardware than their competitiors, but makes up for this with very strong software sales, If the Wii had not gone all Thriller on us we would probably not even be blinking an eye at the current sales.

So, can we keep this forum talking about the Wii U and stop all the my dad's better than your dad nonsense?

Or you could just let people talk about what they want to. This is a thread for general sales/charts discussion so of course the conversation isnt just going to be on how much people are enjoying the Wii U. Some people are interested in the gaming industry as a whole and enjoy talking about stuff like this, theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The Wii U has sold poorly, it does not make it a bad console. If you own one as I assume everybody on this forum does, then enjoy it. It does not matter if it sells 20 million units or 120 million units, you can only play with a dozen people online at any given time.

I wouldn't call it arguing as such, more like a difference of opinion.

I wouldn't say it's a bad console, more like it's a one that lacks certain things I would like. I play on the other consoles as well so when it comes to the Wii U it pains me when simple features like messaging and party chat aren't there to be used.

I do enjoy my Wii U, i've probably put more time into the console than many others on here, but at the same time i'm not a blind fanboy who will sing it's praises, or Nintendos for that matter, as the ball was well are truly dropped with the whole thing.

The sales of the thing do matter though. If it continues to sell poorly then the whole idea of whether Nintendo can or will actually continue to push a console has to be asked. I love console gaming more than handheld gaming and would rather Nintendo stick around in the console space, rather than focusing on the handheld market. The same goes for any of the big 3. I like all 3 of them being in the console market as it keeps everyone on their toes. :D

2014 looks far more promising though. Nintendo just need to make sure to space their games out well, seeing as just about all the major 3rd party support has jumped ship. Donkey Kong in Feb and then Mario Kart in March/April time will do nicely.

This generation is no different to the last few, Nintendo has relied on innovation and in-house AAA titles, their rivals have relied on powerhouse hardware and major 3rd party exclusives. Apart form the Wii, Nintendo usually sells less hardware than their competitiors, but makes up for this with very strong software sales, If the Wii had not gone all Thriller on us we would probably not even be blinking an eye at the current sales.

So, can we keep this forum talking about the Wii U and stop all the my dad's better than your dad nonsense?

Difference of opinion makes this thread what it is. Its a good thing.

Or you could just let people talk about what they want to. This is a thread for general sales/charts discussion so of course the conversation isnt just going to be on how much people are enjoying the Wii U. Some people are interested in the gaming industry as a whole and enjoy talking about stuff like this, theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I thought this was the Wii U thread, did not realise it was the sales thread... MY BAD.

I thought this was the Wii U thread, did not realise it was the sales thread... MY BAD.

It happens to the best of us. :p

And for the sake of closing that argument, your dad probably is better than mine :p

Was gonna say, discussion in here is generally quite apt and healthy for the topic at hand!

Pal UK Week 46, 2013 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (01) 360 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

02 (02) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

03 (NE) 360 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

04 (05) 360 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

05 (NE) PS3 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

06 (04) 360 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)

07 (03) 360 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

08 (10) 360 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)

09 (09) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)

10 (NE) XBO CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

11 (13) PS3 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

12 (07) PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)

13 (12) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)

14 (16) 3DS PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE AZRAN LEGACY (NINTENDO)

15 (08) PS3 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

16 (17) WII JUST DANCE 2014 (UBISOFT)

17 (11) PC FOOTBALL MANAGER 2014 (SEGA)

18 (21) 3DS POKÉMON Y (NINTENDO)

19 (20) 3DS POKÉMON X (NINTENDO)

20 (14) 360 WWE 2K14 (TAKE 2)

21 (NE) 3DS LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

22 (23) 360 SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

23 (15) 360 BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

24 (26) 3DS ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF (NINTENDO)

25 (24) WII SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

26 (25) 360 TOMB RAIDER (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

27 (__) 3DS PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE MIRACLE MASK (NINTENDO)

28 (NE) PS3 RATCHET & CLANK NEXUS (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

29 (27) 360 HALO 4 (MICROSOFT)

30 (29) 360 DISNEY INFINITY (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)

31 (19) PS3 BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

32 (NE) WIU LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

33 (22) PS3 WWE 2K14 (TAKE 2)

34 (06) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

35 (39) WIU NEW SUPER LUIGI U (NINTENDO)

36 (30) 360 SAINTS ROW IV (KOCH MEDIA)

37 (40) WIU NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U (NINTENDO)

38 (36) PS3 SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

39 (34) WII DISNEY INFINITY (DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS)

40 (31) PS3 BEYOND TWO SOULS (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

So, I think I may be a little late to the party here, but is the UK the wild exception to Sony's European dominance?

Looking at the online retailers, that's probably going to change next generation, but man there's a lot of 360 titles in the top 10.

What a douchebag! Arrogant much?

:laughing: Ahhh, it's always brilliant when people don't realise it's a parody account.

But seriously, it'd still be fucking hilarious if it was from the real Kaz.

So, I think I may be a little late to the party here, but is the UK the wild exception to Sony's European dominance?

Looking at the online retailers, that's probably going to change next generation, but man there's a lot of 360 titles in the top 10.

Yes the 360 has been very strong in the UK this generation. Multi plat titles seem to favour the 360 by quite a big margin. They really managed to use live effectively and make multi player synomous with Xbox.

Prior to the PS3 execs at Sony were saying some real stupid arrogant stuff. Really took there eye of the ball and didnt take the competition serious. They have learnt a lot from then.