NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2013 (Nov 04 - Nov 10)

01./00. [PS3] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2013.11.07} (¥7.665) - 121.699 / NEW

02./01. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) - 115.630 / 2.847.101 (-29%)

03./04. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 40.205 / 2.912.310 (-14%)

04./00. [PSV] Akiba's Trip 2 <ADV> (Acquire) {2013.11.07} (¥6.594) - 33.476 / NEW

05./02. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.10.24} (¥3.980) - 30.875 / 167.584 (-42%)

06./08. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2013.10.10} (¥7.770) - 28.413 / 559.679 (-13%)

07./05. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.10.24} (¥2.980) - 24.675 / 98.856 (-35%)

08./00. [PS3] Akiba's Trip 2 <ADV> (Acquire) {2013.11.07} (¥7.329) - 20.230 / NEW

09./00. [3DS] Metal Max 4: Moonlight Diva # <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2013.11.07} (¥6.980) - 17.867 / NEW

10./00. [3DS] Bandai Namco Games Presents J Legend Retsuden <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.07} (¥4.980) - 17.675 / NEW

11./06. [WIU] Wii Party U <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥4.935) - 15.969 / 53.341 (-57%)

12./00. [PS3] Onechanbara Z: Kagura with NoNoNo! <ACT> (D3 Publisher) {2013.11.07} (¥7.140) - 15.686 / NEW

13./03. [3DS] Little Battlers eXperience: Wars <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.10.31} (¥4.980) - 12.333 / 62.551 (-75%)

14./12. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.10.17} (¥4.980) - 12.186 / 87.323 (-10%)

15./00. [PS3] Rocksmith 2014 Edition # <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2013.11.07} (¥6.980) - 11.599 / NEW

16./00. [PSV] Exstetra <RPG> (FuRyu) {2013.11.07} (¥6.279) - 11.376 / NEW

17./00. [360] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2013.11.07} (¥7.665) - 10.547 / NEW

18./00. [PS3] NBA 2K14 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2013.11.07} (¥6.090) - 10.390 / NEW

19./07. [PSV] Gundam Breaker # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.10.31} (¥6.980) - 8.897 / 42.672 (-74%)

20./13. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.10.24} (¥3.980) - 7.976 / 45.173 (-38%)

Top 20

PS3 - 7

3DS - 6

PSV - 4

360 - 1

PSP - 1

WIU - 1

HARDWARE

Code:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD | Last YTD | LTD |

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| 3DS # | 81.817 | 88.376 | 187.077 | 3.877.931 | 3.807.375 | 13.657.811 |

| PSV | 21.764 | 27.618 | 4.021 | 873.460 | 589.727 | 2.004.285 |

| WIU | 17.737 | 38.802 | | 526.761 | | 1.154.048 |

| PS3 | 11.867 | 11.148 | 18.043 | 708.886 | 961.870 | 9.568.970 |

| PSP # | 4.010 | 3.680 | 12.076 | 396.161 | 694.154 | 20.025.172 |

| WII | 579 | 477 | 2.921 | 65.129 | 426.624 | 12.703.965 |

| 360 | 346 | 328 | 2.908 | 22.039 | 66.363 | 1.635.873 |

| ALL | 138.120 | 170.429 | 228.657 | 6.470.367 | 6.663.229 | 60.750.124 |

| 3DSLL | 53.190 | 58.627 | 134.652 | 2.614.515 | 1.018.636 | 4.704.886 |

| 3DS | 28.627 | 29.749 | 52.425 | 1.263.416 | 2.788.739 | 8.952.925 |

| PSP | 4.010 | 3.680 | 12.076 | 396.161 | 694.154 | 19.849.185 |

Damn Wii U took a hard drop. Slipping back to under 20k 1 week after the new bundles isnt good.

Aren't the Wii Sports and Wii Fit sequels coming out soon? They'll surely boost sales hugely given the success of their predecessors. Mario will obviously help too if it gets a decent advertising budget.

Aren't the Wii Sports and Wii Fit sequels coming out soon? They'll surely boost sales hugely given the success of their predecessors. Mario will obviously help too if it gets a decent advertising budget.

Not necessarily. Those casual titles were sold to an audience which in a way has moved on.

Wii Party hasn’t really done anything for the console considering sales have dropped dramatically only after 1 week.

Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Party etc are old news now and games that people if they really wanted to play can just dust off the wii without purchasing a new console.

I hope Mario does well and really boosts the consoles sales for a sustained period and not just 1 week as if it doesn’t then I don’t see what else there is to turn to? The worrying thing is pre-order sales of Mario in Japan seem to be extremely low.

Seriously, Mario is their only hope now, in Japan at least.

Over here the Wii U is seriously done. I thought after the drought, and when we started getting regular releases (after Pikmin 3 released) the Wii U would be back on track but that didn't happen.

Then Nintendo had some sure-fire sales in big games (that even they said would be big) such as Wii Party U and Mario & Sonic yet look at them. Dire. What's even worse is that Wii Party U is like, what, a fiver when you consider the packed in Wii Remote Plus, so there's no excuse.

Those COD sales are also a complete joke. It didn't sell anywhere near the 360 and PS3 versions on Wii, but as has already been mentioned, it regularly sold around 1 million. To be outsold by a console that hasn't even been released is really the last straw for any kind of third-party support, especially from a series that big.

And what about Sonic Lost World? Didn't that sell literally a few thousand in Japan? Hopefully it does better in America else there won't be much point releasing that third Sonic game. And given the reception Wii Party U and Mario & Sonic received, compared to their amazing sales on Wii, I don't have much hope for Sports and Fit. Especially Fit.

It's Nintendo's fault for their utterly shit advertising though. What do they expect? A lot of these titles are actually decent but if no one knows about them whats the point in even releasing them? A lot of people have no idea Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD even exist.

Heck, I only knew about the release date for Wii Sports Club a day before it came out and I regularly keep up to date with this kind of thing. Unless you have your nose in Nintendo news sites every day or regularly check the eShop there's absolutely no exposure to these titles.

I honestly did not expect sales to drop so soon

I did.

With a price cut and tantalising bundles, you need to follow it up with software. Yes, Mario is next week and that'd do it, but for the weeks that follow, it's empty.

If I recall correctly, Vita had this. The 3DS drop after that price cut was pretty drastic too. It essentially halved, just like this.

No big surprise at all, but 17k is still 8 times the 2k from before, so relatively it's...maybe a glittery turd rather than just a turd?

Away from the doom and gloom I think it's pretty cool to see a game like BF4 top of the Japan charts.

I did.

With a price cut and tantalising bundles, you need to follow it up with software. Yes, Mario is next week and that'd do it, but for the weeks that follow, it's empty.

If I recall correctly, Vita had this. The 3DS drop after that price cut was pretty drastic too. It essentially halved, just like this.

I guess you're right but I'm still surprised. Sure after Mario there isn't a great deal of games but I assumed Mario & Sonic 2014 and Taiko no Tatsujin being around the corner would help shift units a little.

Plus for first time Wii U owners, there is a little library of games to pick up that would fill up until the next big release.

I guess you're right but I'm still surprised. Sure after Mario there isn't a great deal of games but I assumed Mario & Sonic 2014 and Taiko no Tatsujin being around the corner would help shift units a little.

Plus for first time Wii U owners, there is a little library of games to pick up that would fill up until the next big release.

Console sales aren't about heavy hitters, though they do help, it's about momentum and that's what the Wii U lacks.

Home consoles don't do well in Japan in general. This is a fact so the Wii U was never going to do well. Its sales have been middling to poor, except in times of major releases. This is not sustainable. What they need to somehow do is build momentum with it. It's what happened with the 3DS.

Price cut in August with a Pokémon game. Shot up to 200k in one week, dropped to 100k and then continued to drop to a baseline of around 40,000. The games weren't there yet, but there was a promise of it. The games were known and they were just weeks away. The Wii U's baseline should be just over half that, considering it's a home console

November came. BAM, Mario.

December came. BAM, Monster Hunter

December continued. BAM, Mario Kart.

The situation was similar in the west with it being October Pokémon, November Mario and December Mario Kart.

What the Wii U really needed was DKC or Mario Kart this winter for a similar one-two of strong games as well as a strong marketing. They're trying with the marketing now. They will never get the hardcore crowd...there was never any chance of that, even if the Wii U was more powerful than the PS4 it wouldn't have been possible. They're now trying to win back the family crowd. Will it work? I don't know, it's possible.

Console sales aren't about heavy hitters, though they do help, it's about momentum and that's what the Wii U lacks.

Couldn't agree more and this is where the 3rd party problem comes in. You need solid 3rd party games to help fill in the gaps and without these you are left with gaming droughts until Nintendos next game is released and this is what's happening with the Wii U.

In regards to releasing a console more powerful than the PS4, you are probably right, it wouldn't help. It's not all about the power though. The problem is that while Nintendo were catching the expanded market Microsoft and Sony were roping in people to get connected to their online systems. People have now made friends, got trophies and achievements and it's going to take something special to get gamers to switch from a setup that they have invested time and money into.

The One is a great example of the pulling power that has been created. There are many gamers, who despite not really liking the direction Microsoft have been heading in, are still picking up the console due to their friends buying one. They want to be part of the community that they have been part of for the past 7-8 years.

I think that a big problem for Nintendo is that if the Wii U fails to reach Gamecube levels of sales then that trend of the Nintendo fanbase diminishing will be continuing. The Wii was lightning in a bottle and the sales figures show this to be the case but Nintendo can't recapture that market and the current Nintendo fanbase continues to shrink, then is it even worth Nintendo continuing in the console market when they could focus just on the handheld one?

The console market is becoming more and more a western thing. Sony seen this happen and started to expand their own studios ( granted a few got closed down as well ) to the western world and reached out to western developers.

Nintendo have made some good efforts in regards to getting indies on board and using the likes of Monster Games and Next Level Games to create a few titles here and there. I would like to see more of this happening, give proven developers like this some IPs that are a little more obscure and let them have at it.

To be honest, despite its online flaws, I still enjoy my Wii U but at the same time I can see why it's tanking and why people are just not interested in it.

Home consoles don't do well in Japan in general. This is a fact so the Wii U was never going to do well. Its sales have been middling to poor, except in times of major releases. This is not sustainable. What they need to somehow do is build momentum with it. It's what happened with the 3DS.

Price cut in August with a Pokémon game. Shot up to 200k in one week, dropped to 100k and then continued to drop to a baseline of around 40,000. The games weren't there yet, but there was a promise of it. The games were known and they were just weeks away. The Wii U's baseline should be just over half that, considering it's a home console

November came. BAM, Mario.

December came. BAM, Monster Hunter

December continued. BAM, Mario Kart.

The situation was similar in the west with it being October Pokémon, November Mario and December Mario Kart.

What the Wii U really needed was DKC or Mario Kart this winter for a similar one-two of strong games as well as a strong marketing. They're trying with the marketing now. They will never get the hardcore crowd...there was never any chance of that, even if the Wii U was more powerful than the PS4 it wouldn't have been possible. They're now trying to win back the family crowd. Will it work? I don't know, it's possible.

Your exactly right about the momentum and it’s not really about heavy hitters but more about a constant stream of games. The Gamecube had all the heavy hitters and while they generally sold well the hardware sales were never really effected.

I feel what really hurt the Wii U in Japan was after launch from January onwards Nintendo gave Wii u owners virtually nothing. I mean they had it worse than us in the West which is quite remarkable considering we had it bad. I think Nintendo expected Japanese third parties to be on board to fill the gaps but as we have seen they are not and what ended up happening was people over there were really starved of games to play. Now I know all new consoles go through some kind of drought but I think the Wii U one in Japan was worse than usual.

The question is did this have an effect where Wii u owners either traded in the console or just packed it away and now have no desire to purchase software for the console other than maybe those key staple titles which Nintendo release.

You mention the 3DS and it’s a good point that the promise was their which made a huge difference. Even in the 3DS’s worst days prior to the price drop you still knew the games were coming and the situation is very different as the 3DS was always likely to turn around simply because it was only matter of time before a constant stream of games were on the way from Nintendo and third parties.

In regards to releasing a console more powerful than the PS4, you are probably right, it wouldn't help. It's not all about the power though. The problem is that while Nintendo were catching the expanded market Microsoft and Sony were roping in people to get connected to their online systems. People have now made friends, got trophies and achievements and it's going to take something special to get gamers to switch from a setup that they have invested time and money into.

That is very true and to me is an example of where Nintendo ignored what their competitors were doing. While Sony and MS were creating an ecosystem and a real sense of connectivity between people Nintendo didn’t really take notice.

When the Wii U was announced I really hoped basically Nintendo had looked at what PSN and Xbox live was like and strived to create something similar. Now I know they have done their own thing with miiverse but it’s not the same.

Basic things like achievements, party chat, standard account system are missing. I know they want to be different but these are things which people have come to expect.

We then have games which are not online or like wii u sports have online but are not intuitive at all.

Edited by liger05

That is very true and to me is an example of where Nintendo ignored what their competitors were doing. While Sony and MS were creating an ecosystem and a real sense of connectivity between people Nintendo didn’t really take notice.

When the Wii U was announced I really hoped basically Nintendo had looked at what PSN and Xbox live was like and strived to create something similar. Now I know they have done their own thing with miiverse but it’s not the same.

Basic things like achievements, party chat, standard account system are missing. I know they want to be different but these are things which people have come to expect.

We then have games which are not online or like wii u sports have online but are not intuitive at all.

Online games can really help during the droughts as well. I mean a bunch of us on here played the hell out of CoD and Monster Hunter but if you didn't like either of these then you were left wanting.

The problem is that Nintendo seem to have very little interest in online gaming but when the console race is becoming more and more a western thing, where online gaming is big deal, Nintendo are starting to look more and more out of date when it comes to their setup and attitude towards online gaming.

The problem is, we see it from more of a consumer standpoint, obviously.

When we look at it from a business standpoint, Nintendo are actually doing the best. Microsoft incurred massive losses to which they haven't recovered. The Xbox division is still billions in the red despite the success of Xbox 360 and Xbox Live. Sony also had a serious amount of loss too. Both companies consider that division a hole. There are many Microsoft insiders and analysts that want them to drop the Xbox division once and for all and it wouldn't surprise me if people in Sony didn't want the same thing.

Sure, Nintendo had two years of loss in their entire history, but they're now turning it around despite the Wii U selling horribly.

There's continually "Nintendo is doomed" threads and statements around the Internet, and I don't get it. The Wii U? Sure, that will never actually sell really well now and it may well be doomed, but the company itself? No, far far far off. Sony and Microsoft are actually in a far worse position with their gaming divisions.

Nintendo will never be doomed as long as they have a handheld division. Whether it's worth them continuing in the home console market is a different story.

The problem is, we see it from more of a consumer standpoint, obviously.

When we look at it from a business standpoint, Nintendo are actually doing the best. Microsoft incurred massive losses to which they haven't recovered. The Xbox division is still billions in the red despite the success of Xbox 360 and Xbox Live. Sony also had a serious amount of loss too. Both companies consider that division a hole. There are many Microsoft insiders and analysts that want them to drop the Xbox division once and for all and it wouldn't surprise me if people in Sony didn't want the same thing.

Sure, Nintendo had two years of loss in their entire history, but they're now turning it around despite the Wii U selling horribly.

There's continually "Nintendo is doomed" threads and statements around the Internet, and I don't get it. The Wii U? Sure, that will never actually sell really well now and it may well be doomed, but the company itself? No, far far far off. Sony and Microsoft are actually in a far worse position with their gaming divisions.

Do you have a source for that as the only thing I have seen which shows they are in the red is speculation.

I thought playstation was one sony's profitable business's. Granted they lost an absolute fortune with the PS3 which basically depleted all the money made from PS1/PS2 but I don’t think Sony consider the PlayStation division as a hole. It’s very much a division which has shown in the past that it can be extremely profitable.

The ‘Nintendo is doomed’ has been going for many a year and it will never stop.

For me if they want to remain in the home console business there needs to be a real change with the way they operate. There is only so long a company can ignore market trends and stakeholder’s desires before it comes to an end.

Not quite the same situation but Blackberry was a company which decided it would continue to do its own thing even though the market showed that consumers wanted something else which its competitors were offering. The constant refusal to adapt resulted in what we see today and now it’s too late as no matter what they do as the brand has been damaged hugely.

Do you have a source for that as the only thing I have seen which shows they are in the red is speculation.

I thought playstation was one sony's profitable business's. Granted they lost an absolute fortune with the PS3 which basically depleted all the money made from PS1/PS2 but I don’t think Sony consider the PlayStation division as a hole. It’s very much a division which has shown in the past that it can be extremely profitable.

The ‘Nintendo is doomed’ has been going for many a year and it will never stop.

For me if they want to remain in the home console business there needs to be a real change with the way they operate. There is only so long a company can ignore market trends and stakeholder’s desires before it comes to an end.

Not quite the same situation but Blackberry was a company which decided it would continue to do its own thing even though the market showed that consumers wanted something else which its competitors were offering. The constant refusal to adapt resulted in what we see today and now it’s too late as no matter what they do as the brand has been damaged hugely.

Unless they earned $30bn in the last two years from Xbox, they're still well into the red. It's simple mathematics.

You're also wanting Nintendo to move with market trends...you're wanting them to become a "me too" company when they never have been. Shareholders just want a quick buck and want Nintendo to go iOS. Neither is a good idea and I don't see why anyone who claims to like Nintendo would want such a thing.

You're also wanting Nintendo to move with market trends...you're wanting them to become a "me too" company when they never have been. Shareholders just want a quick buck and want Nintendo to go iOS. Neither is a good idea and I don't see why anyone who claims to like Nintendo would want such a thing.

There is nothing wrong with being a "me too" company when it comes to certain things. Using online gaming as an example, if Nintendo don't start adopting certain online functions then they are going to become less and less relevant in the home console market. Which would you rather have, Nintendo taking certain ideas from the other 2 companies online setup or fade into irrelevance?

Unless they earned $30bn in the last two years from Xbox, they're still well into the red. It's simple mathematics.

But MS were always going to lose money when they launched with the xbox. There was no other way to break into the market without them taking a hit. What’s important is whether the Xbox is now a profitable division and is making money. I haven’t seen anything which says that isn’t the case.

I never mentioned shareholders. I said stakeholders which would be shareholders, consumers, developers, publishers etc. It’s not about Nintendo becoming a “me too” company it’s about them still being a successful company and one which remains in the home console business. If they carry on as they are I don’t see how that will be possible.

But MS were always going to lose money when they launched with the xbox. There was no other way to break into the market without them taking a hit. What’s important is whether the Xbox is now a profitable division and is making money. I haven’t seen anything which says that isn’t the case.

It was reported last week that apparently they are losing 2 billion a year with the Xbox division.

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-earns-2-billion-per-year-from-android-patent-royalties-2013-11

Yeah I saw that but like I said that is speculation from one analyst. Not concrete enough.

Yeah, a lot of places didn't even bother reporting it. Still, where there's smoke...

Yeah, a lot of places didn't even bother reporting it. Still, where there's smoke...

Personally I thought from losses of $2.5bn a year way more would be attributed to Windows phones/tablets considering how much of a flop they have been.

Yeah I saw that but like I said that is speculation from one analyst. Not concrete enough.

Then check their financials. An analyst wouldn't say something like that with no information actually pointing to it.

Edited by Serebii