NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

The sequel to the fastest selling 3D Mario game isn't enough?

Not really. Its just had a nice bump but for 2 weeks there is nothing.

Mario and Taiko no Tatsujin hit on 21/11 and then December is bare.

Not really. Its just had a nice bump but for 2 weeks there is nothing.

Mario and Taiko no Tatsujin hit on 21/11 and then December is bare.

Because every console before the Wii U has had new exclusive games every single week?

Because every console before the Wii U has had new exclusive games every single week?

Why do you always try and justify whatever Nintendo do with the actions of others. The Wii U is the hole and the only chance it has of getting out is by getting a steady steam of solid games out on a regular basis.

If I remember correctly you seemed to think the 1 a month of Nintendo published games which we had over the summer/autumn period would be sufficient and surprise surprise it wasn't.

The sequel to the fastest selling 3D Mario game isn't enough?

See the launch where people said the same thing about NSMBU being enough.

Edited by liger05

Yeah, the lack of DK has really hurt. No doubt Mario will do numbers, but it seems as though Nintendo are putting A LOT of faith into this one title. I'm glad Taiko is coming out too, it always does good numbers, I see it as the Japanese equivalent to Just Dance (yeah, there were 2 JP Just Dance games but I don't think they had the same effect as over here).

I just wish Wii U was region-free, I loved the Wii Taiko games :(

I think Taiko is really being underestimated here... All of the Wii games ended up hitting around the 500k mark and it's exactly the kind of audience expanding game that the Wii U needs right now (also it's VERY family friendly, so it makes for a nice two-punch combo with SM3DW).

Nintendo should really be thanking Namco big time (and with WSClub & SSB4!). Going into the Xmas season, it's gonna be at least as important as SM3DW when it comes to selling systems!

They really could've done with one more big game in December though, still feels a bit bare... (though it's possible that a strong enough marketing campaign that highlights their catalogue of existing titles like Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit U and Wii Party U, Wind Waker HD, NSMBU/NSLU, Game & Wario and Monster Hunter 3 U might be enough to spur interest).

Edited by Dcubed

Yeah, they should definitely advertise some of the big games that have come out this year, I fear titles like Wind Waker and Pikmin may get forgotten in the long run otherwise.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-11-uk-chart-cod-ghosts-top-more-copies-sold-on-ps4-than-wii-u

62 per cent of sales were recorded on Xbox 360, 34 per cent on PlayStation 3 and 3 per cent on PS4, even though the copies won't be playable for another three weeks.

Wii U and physical PC sales counted for less than a single per cent of the game's total.

Not surprised. Wii U has a small installbase, sure. However, the major issue is the fact that nowhere, not even GAME, bothered to stock it. If they did, it'd likely have been higher.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-11-uk-chart-cod-ghosts-top-more-copies-sold-on-ps4-than-wii-u

Not surprised. Wii U has a small installbase, sure. However, the major issue is the fact that nowhere, not even GAME, bothered to stock it. If they did, it'd likely have been higher.

Latest UK Software Charts

TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE - INDIVIDUAL FORMATS (UNITS), WEEK ENDING 9 November 2013

LW

TW Title Format Label Publisher

- 1 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS XB360 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

- 2 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS PS3 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

2 3 BATTLEFIELD 4 XB360 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

1 4 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG XB360 UBISOFT UBISOFT

6 5 FIFA 14 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

- 6 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS PS4 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

3 7 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG PS3 UBISOFT UBISOFT

5 8 BATTLEFIELD 4 PS3 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

7 9 GRAND THEFT AUTO V XB360 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2

15 10 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

4 11 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2014 PC SEGA SEGA

10 12 GRAND THEFT AUTO V PS3 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2

12 13 FIFA 14 PS3 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

9 14 WWE 2K14 XB360 2K SPORTS TAKE 2

8 15 BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS XB360 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

- 16 PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE AZRAN LEGACY 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

18 17 JUST DANCE 2014 WII UBISOFT UBISOFT

- 18 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS PC ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

11 19 BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS PS3 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

17 20 POKEMON X 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

16 21 POKEMON Y 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

13 22 WWE 2K14 PS3 2K SPORTS TAKE 2

19 23 SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE XB360 SKYLANDERS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

20 24 SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE WII SKYLANDERS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

22 25 TOMB RAIDER XB360 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

21 26 ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

26 27 HALO 4 XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

14 28 BATTLEFIELD 4 PC EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

29 29 DISNEY INFINITY XB360 DISNEY INFINITY DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS

30 30 SAINTS ROW IV XB360 DEEP SILVER KOCH MEDIA

27 31 BEYOND TWO SOULS PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

23 32 F1 2013 XB360 CODEMASTERS CODEMASTERS

37 33 THE LAST OF US PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

32 34 DISNEY INFINITY WII DISNEY INFINITY DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS

- 35 UNCHARTED 3: DRAKE'S DECEPTION GOTY PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

25 36 SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE PS3 SKYLANDERS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

31 37 F1 2013 PS3 CODEMASTERS CODEMASTERS

34 38 LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES XB360 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

- 39 NEW SUPER LUIGI U WII U NINTENDO NINTENDO

- 40 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U WII U NINTENDO NINTENDO

The PS4 isnt even on the shelves and it sold more than the wii u version.

I dont think anymore needs to be said.

Retailers stock what they think will sell. pre-orders and historical figures tell them the kind of levels of stock they need to get in. If there was a demand for the wii u version they would of stocked it.

Latest UK Software Charts

The PS4 isnt even on the shelves and it sold more than the wii u version.

I dont think anymore needs to be said.

Retailers stock what they think will sell. pre-orders and historical figures tell them the kind of levels of stock they need to get in. If there was a demand for the wii u version they would of stocked it.

Yes, but there have been numerous instances of people who have gone in for the Wii U version, found out it's not being stocked (sometimes with the staff not knowing it even exists) and then switching.

Yes, there is a matter of demand, but it's ridiculous to complain about it not selling, or that "nothing more needs to be said" if it's not being stocked.

Yes, but there have been numerous instances of people who have gone in for the Wii U version, found out it's not being stocked (sometimes with the staff not knowing it even exists) and then switching.

Yes, there is a matter of demand, but it's ridiculous to complain about it not selling if it's not being stocked.

I understand that but I think those numbers would be small. I cant imgaine there are thousands of wii u owners all wanting to buy the wii u version and finding it not in stock.

Just noticed no Mario & Sonic olympics in the charts. Again another Wii_ title that bombed hard.

Edited by liger05

I understand that but I think those numbers would be small. I cant imgaine there are thousands of wii u owners all wanting to buy the wii u version and finding it not in stock.

Just noticed no Mario & Sonic olympics in the charts. Again another Wii_ title that bombed hard.

I went to GAME to get my copy and they only had 2 for sale and nobody had preordered them, hence the stupidly low amount of copies they got in. As you said, there was close to no demand for it, otherwise they would have ordered some in.

Shame about Mario and Sonic as i'm quite enjoying it but at the same time I can admit that the games have been done to death now and need to take a break. It may be fun but it's still the same old stuff.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Mario 3D can do anything here in the UK. Personally, I think the Wii U is done here in Blighty, unless some secret miracle game can get the expanded audience back on board.

Yes, there is a matter of demand, but it's ridiculous to complain about it not selling, or that "nothing more needs to be said" if it's not being stocked.

How numerous? Can you back these up with hard facts and numbers?

I went to GAME to get my copy and they only had 2 for sale and nobody had preordered them, hence the stupidly low amount of copies they got in. As you said, there was close to no demand for it, otherwise they would have ordered some in.

Shame about Mario and Sonic as i'm quite enjoying it but at the same time I can admit that the games have been done to death now and need to take a break. It may be fun but it's still the same old stuff.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Mario 3D can do anything here in the UK. Personally, I think the Wii U is done here in Blighty, unless some secret miracle game can get the expanded audience back on board.

I think Nintendo need to accept that those wii blockbusters do not mean the wii u requires the same games. They to me are falling into a trap looking at how the wii titles perfomed and thinking they are what is going to attract people to the wii u but its not the case.

Whats the deal with Mario and sonic requiring wiimotes and you not being able to use the gamepad for some events. I think thats crazy. Everygame that is released on the wii u should let you use the gamepad and the gamepad only if you want. Its crazy to expect people to have to use a controller for an older system.

I think here and Europe in general the Wii u is done. Even in France and Germany where Nintendo is strong the console has struggled big time.

With Mario 3D I am concerned about its performance in Japan. If that title does not sell well in Japan then I where else is there to go.

Did you try online at all? Or was it a case of wanting it at the time in your hands etc? I wonder if you could be right about the Wii U here - though more for brick and mortar stores. Online will cater to the small demand that currently exists. If something magical can happen at Xmas then things might change, but right now I can see it going down the pan. I don't know if 3DWorld is enough to do much, though.

Edited by Rummy

I think we can kiss goodbye to future COD games. No way Activision are going to put up with sales that embarrassing.

Did you try online at all? Or was it a case of wanting it at the time in your hands etc? I wonder if you could be right about the Wii U here - though more for brick and mortar stores. Online will cater to the small demand that currently exists. If something magical can happen at Xmas then things might change, but right now I can see it going down the pan. I don't know if 3DWorld is enough to do much, though.

Yeah, I wanted early doors on release day as I had a holiday for it. If I got it online I wouldn't have got it till the afternoon due to my postie liking a lie in. :D

I think we can kiss goodbye to future COD games. No way Activision are going to put up with sales that embarrassing.

I would be surprised if the next version was released but sales may be a lot better in the US?

I dunno. I mean the other CoDs were still released on the Wii. I think it depends on how many staff it takes to create a Wii U version and how much it costs. As long as there are PS3/360 versions then I think it will continue to be on the Wii U. Activision may want it on as many different platforms as possible given the drop off of sales between Black Ops 2 and Ghosts.

Activision are all about profit maximising and H-o-T hit it on the head, they never stopped with Wii versions of COD titles even late into the consoles life where third parties saw fuck all revenue from the console.

There'll be a Wii U version of the next CoD, but if it's still dire at that point then maybe it'll be the last.

The Wii versions of COD sold well with many versions selling over a million copies. The Wii U versions are selling only a fraction of that.

I don't know about that... I mean it was stocked online at Amazon and other sites, so its hard to believe that there where a ton of people looking to buy it and because it wasn't in GAME just gave up on the purchase.

I don't know about that... I mean it was stocked online at Amazon and other sites, so its hard to believe that there where a ton of people looking to buy it and because it wasn't in GAME just gave up on the purchase.

Its not the case. If a ton of people wanted it shops like Game would of stocked it.

I dont know why people need to try and make excuses for the poor sales performances of various games.

I think the the most worrying thing isnt that the PS4 version sold more than the Wii U version but the fact that the wii u version sold less than 1% of the total sales.

Last year people blamed the fact the game wasnt released on the same day as the others but no such problem this year and it still sold awfully bad. Considering the Wii U isnt exactly blessed with a great library of games dont really sell to well. Have people just packed the system away.

I think its fair to say there was no conspirancy from the likes of EA and others who havent supported the console. The game sales are enough to justify those decisions.

How numerous? Can you back these up with hard facts and numbers?

718 of his captured friends told him ;)