NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

The 360 was something like £200 for the version with no hard drive, and £280 for the premium model. So not too different in pricing to the Wii U at launch, and as it launched a year ahead of everyone, I think it is quite fair to compare the two systems. In fact, Wikipedia has just told me that Microsoft didn't reach their sales target they had set for the first 90 days of 2.75m-3m. So a poor start isn't necessarily the death of a console, but it's hard to deny that the lack of faith from retailers and lack of advertising are damaging the Wii U's chances of success.

One thing not mentioned is the global economic situation compared with back then. Plus there sre so many 'tech' things iPads etc. to eat into the market.

It will be really interesting to see how the XBOne / PS4 sell?

One thing not mentioned is the global economic situation compared with back then. Plus there sre so many 'tech' things iPads etc. to eat into the market.

I think they will do ok. This generation has gone on for too long, people want new consoles.

The 360 was something like £200 for the version with no hard drive, and £280 for the premium model. So not too different in pricing to the Wii U at launch, and as it launched a year ahead of everyone, I think it is quite fair to compare the two systems. In fact, Wikipedia has just told me that Microsoft didn't reach their sales target they had set for the first 90 days of 2.75m-3m. So a poor start isn't necessarily the death of a console, but it's hard to deny that the lack of faith from retailers and lack of advertising are damaging the Wii U's chances of success.

As Phube quite rightly mentions though; the actual economy is another important factor to consider. There's the obvious argument of inflation, but then also the recession and people generally spending less and the economy doing less well. Add to that that the 360 was frickin miles ahead any tech of the time really, and the Wii U...well, spec wise technically is comparably inferior...you'd think even direct price for price comparison is unwarranted.

In b4 gamepad spec blah blah - ok yeah but that's a choice they made to split the tech spec across the console and the pad...it's a lower average than 360. It sacrifices some to accommodate the two.

they wont be selling anything near the horrific numbers that Wii U is selling thats for sure.

they wont be selling anything near the horrific numbers that Wii U is selling thats for sure.

The Wii U had a decent launch. It's the after launch that is the issue.

You can bet that the PS4 and Xbox One launch months won't be as good as the Wii U's, especially if they're the same month. Combined they'll likely beat it. Separately, not going to happen.

The Wii U had a decent launch. It's the after launch that is the issue.

You can bet that the PS4 and Xbox One launch months won't be as good as the Wii U's, especially if they're the same month. Combined they'll likely beat it. Separately, not going to happen.

I would be amazed if both of them don't sell more than the Wii u did in the UK at launch. The Wii U did like 40k in its first weekend. Both new consoles should beat that easily.

I would be amazed if both of them don't sell more than the Wii u did in the UK at launch. The Wii U did like 40k in its first weekend. Both new consoles should beat that easily.

I too wouldn't be surprised. The UK has never embraced Nintendo afterall

I too wouldn't be surprised. The UK has never embraced Nintendo afterall

An overpriced 3DS still managed to do over 100k in its first weekend.

Pikmin 3 drops to 15th ( although its 5th in the individual charts ) and The Last of Us battles back to 2nd.

1. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)

2. The Last of Us (Sony)

3. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo)

4. FIFA 13 (EA)

5. The Smurfs 2 (Ubisoft)

6. Far Cry 3 (Ubisoft)

7. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Warner Bros)

8. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision)

9. Tomb Raider (Square Enix)

10. Assassin’s Creed III (Ubisoft)

11. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Bros (Nintendo)

12. LEGO The Lord of the Rings (Warner Bros)

13. Max Payne 3 (Take-Two)

14. Grand Theft Auto IV (Rockstar)

15. Pikmin 3 (Nintendo)

16. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (EA)

17. Battlefield 3 (EA)

18. Grand Theft Auto Episodes: Liberty City (Rockstar)

19. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Legendary Edition (Bethesda)

20. The Sims 3: Island Paradise (EA)

I'm seriously impressed with the legs The Last of Us has got. Who says new IP's don't sell? :D

Edited by Hero-of-Time

GTA 4 at 14th there and 9th on the individual formats for 360 is rather impressive. The new one is going to do insane numbers.

GTA 4 at 14th there and 9th on the individual formats for 360 is rather impressive. The new one is going to do insane numbers.

Indeed. Its legs are just insane! GTA is still as strong a brand as ever.

Pikmin 3 did alright to stick around at No5, but I'm disappointed to see that it had no noticable effect on Wii U hardware sales :cry:

Well it was going to be obvious that Pikmin would drop when the install base is the size of this forum.

Problem is, the majority of the games in the chart are multiformat and so count multiple SKUs on several consoles at once

In the Individual Formats, it's #5 and that's what matters

Indeed. Its legs are just insane! GTA is still as strong a brand as ever.

Pikmin 3 did alright to stick around at No5, but I'm disappointed to see that it had no noticable effect on Wii U hardware sales :cry:

Hardware's still the wrong price imo. Not to mention I think Pikmin ALREADY sold the Wii U's it was going to, fans were just waiting for it.

Now for something a little different.

Sony rejects investor's proposed sale of entertainment business

Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai says the company will not spin off a portion of its entertainment business, responding to investor Daniel Loeb of Third Point LLC's proposed plan to boost performance at the Japanese electronics giant.

In his four-page letter to Loeb, Hirai wrote "after careful review, the Sony Board of Directors has unanimously concluded that continuing to own 100% of our entertainment business is the best path forward and is integral to Sony's strategy."

"Sony Pictures and Sony Music are critical elements of our strategy and fundamental drivers of Sony's growth for the future," Hirai wrote, later adding, "I am personally involved in the oversight of these businesses and firmly committed to assuring their growth, to improving their profitability, and to aggressively leveraging their collaboration with our electronics and service businesses."

On the electronics front, Hirai said Sony is committed to revitalizing the division, saying, "While the industry environment for our electronics business remains challenging, we have made significant progress over the past year, and we are confident that we are on the right path." Hirai touts the well-received Xperia line of smartphones and Sony's Cybershot RX1 camera, explaining that the turnaround of Sony's television business is "progressing as planned."

"We are also encouraged by the positive feedback from the announcement of the PlayStation 4, which is highly integrated with our leading networks and mobile businesses," Hirai wrote. "We are investing in Mobile, Imaging and Game, and these business units are inextricably linked to our One Sony strategy."

[...]

Sega/Sammy posts some good numbers.

There is good news to report for the parent company of Sega, Sega Sammy Holdings. Overnight, the mothership reported quarterly earnings, and they showed an overall net income, or bottom line profit of some ¥12.9 billion yen for the quarter that ended on June 30th, or $131.7 million. That is a more than 400 percent profit jump versus the first quarter of FY2013. The profit was earned on total sales of ¥90.7 billion, or $922.3 million. That is also an increase year over year.

In Consumer Business, the division Sega is a part of, the news was also fairly positive. The division turned a quarterly profit of ¥39 million–a little less than $400,000–but that’s better than the loss incurred in Q1 2013. The profit was on sales of $191.1 million, a jump of more than 25 percent.

No wonder they are ready to splash the cash for Atlus.

Square-Enix posts "Extraordinary Loss" due to restructuring. The notice from the company praises Mobile and Social sales, and also states that some losses were due to no big games released in past 3 months.

Well it was going to be obvious that Pikmin would drop when the install base is the size of this forum.

I'm personally offended.

I'm personally offended.

N-Europe is a growing site, there's still time. People will come.

Anyway, I feel personally proud that I'm responsible for helping Wii U sales. I hear they're into double figures now.

The Wii U may well be screwed. But Nintendo are still the greatest games company there will ever be. They've made the greatest games ever and shaped the industry. If they go out it will be the saddest thing to happen to gaming.

The world will simply be dominated by two consoles were the order of the day is FPSs and conventional sports games. What a sad state of affairs.

Couldn't be further from the truth for the last part.

Wii U still being sold at a loss.

Those holding out hope for a Wii U price cut to combat system launches from Microsoft and Sony may want to brace for disappointment. A Nintendo representative confirmed for GamesIndustry International today that the company's hardware is still being sold at a loss.

Earlier this week, Nintendo's annual report cited Wii U hardware sales as a major factor in the company's 36.4 billion yen ($387 million) operating loss. In the same document, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata promised investors the company will "strive to regain 'Nintendo-like' profits" in the current fiscal year.

Selling hardware at a loss is a decidedly un-Nintendo-like practice. Iwata made headlines last October when he first revealed the company would be losing money on each Wii U sold. However, the following month Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime downplayed the significance of the profit shortfall, saying "as soon as we get the consumer to buy one piece of software, then that entire transaction becomes profit positive."

The Wii U launched in November with a white $250 basic set as well as a black $300 deluxe bundle. However the basic set has largely been dropped, with retailers like Best Buy, Walmart, and Target only stocking the more expensive version of the hardware in their online storefronts. Nintendo disputed reports in June that the basic set was being recalled.

I still think a price drop will happen around the PS4/One launch, despite what they say.

Wii U still being sold at a loss.

I still think a price drop will happen around the PS4/One launch, despite what they say.

Yeah, but it won't be as large as people are wanting. It won't be a $150 price drop. it'll be $50, $75 at most

I didn't want to post that news for fear of getting an earful. But it does show Nintendo is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Reduce the price and face the wrath of the shareholders and a major loss on the balance sheet.

Or

Keep the price as is and continued low sales.

I didn't want to post that news for fear of getting an earful. But it does show Nintendo is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Reduce the price and face the wrath of the shareholders and a major loss on the balance sheet.

Or

Keep the price as is and continued low sales.

There is a solution. Ditch the basic pack and drop the Gamepad. Make that an optional extra, sell the console with the pro controller and make every game playable with that. This would cut costs and allow a significant price drop.

As it stands a £50 - £75 price drop will do little. Retailers have already tried this and the results have seen very little gain.