NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Well the Nintendo sales figures have started to trickle out and so far i've seen this.

From April-June this is what we have got for the Wii U.

Yikes

10K Europe & Australia. Damn that is beyond bad!!!

Even if the total sales doubled in the next quarter they would still be bad. I cant see how it recovers, I really cant.

Edited by liger05

wiiu-dies-in-the-swamxdu1e.gif

:(

That was a depressing scene in the film.

:(

That was a depressing scene in the film.

Indeed. I always cried as a kid. :( Still, at least he got him back in the end.

Can you blame Asda or others in ditching the console? The numbers dont lie.

Also while the 3DS is doing decent its not 'printing money'

April - June 2013 (April - June 2012)

Japan - 640,000 (920,000)

Americas - 360,000 (420,000)

Europe - 400,000 (530,000)

Total - 1,400,000 (1,860,000)

32,480,000 units LTD.

Its down YOY and while Pokemon and MH4 will mean it will have a huge holiday after that then what?

3DS sales in America for Q1 are really disappointing.

Edited by liger05

Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact the Wii just edged past the 100 million unit mark. I think that is amazing and deserves a little celebration.

Can you blame Asda or others in ditching the console? The numbers dont lie.

Also while the 3DS is doing decent its not 'printing money'

April - June 2013 (April - June 2012)

Japan - 640,000 (920,000)

Americas - 360,000 (420,000)

Europe - 400,000 (530,000)

Total - 1,400,000 (1,860,000)

32,480,000 units LTD.

Its down YOY and while Pokemon and MH4 will mean it will have a huge holiday after that then what?

3DS sales in America for Q1 are really disappointing.

No, but people's interpretations of them are erroneous.

These are consoles shipped. not consoles sold like every single place is saying. Nintendo massively overshipped the Wii U and 3DS so their shipment numbers are lower than consoles sold.

You just have to do the maths. Add US and Japan's monthly figures together and you already get above the monthly average of consoles shipped.

I'm not saying these numbers are good, I'm saying people are misinterpreting them a fair bit

No, but people's interpretations of them are erroneous.

These are consoles shipped. not consoles sold like every single place is saying. Nintendo massively overshipped the Wii U and 3DS so their shipment numbers are lower than consoles sold.

You just have to do the maths. Add US and Japan's monthly figures together and you already get above the monthly average of consoles shipped.

I'm not saying these numbers are good, I'm saying people are misinterpreting them a fair bit

But shipments are an indicator of demand. To only ship 160k wii u's for the Quarter it means they have a whole bunch of previously shipped units not sold. 10k in the whole of Europe & Australia is frankly quite unbelievable.

The forecast hasnt been changed which amazes me. No way the Wii U will be at 12 mil units sold by year end.

Youe right about the 3DS. Sales are actually up just they overshipped for the holidays. Not sure why they did that as they only had paper mario last holiday season in the west.

Edited by liger05

But shipments are an indicator of demand. To only ship 160k wii u's for the Quarter it means they have a whole bunch of previously shipped units not sold. 10k in the whole of Europe & Australia is frankly quite unbelievable.

The forecast hasnt been changed which amazes me. No way the Wii U will be at 12 mil units sold by year end.

Youe right about the 3DS. Sales are actually up just they overshipped for the holidays.

Yes, but people including Eurogamer, Kotaku etc. are erroneously reporting this as sales, when they are not. Sales are higher, the retailers just had extra stock beforehand

Let's be honest, shipped/sold it doesn't make much of a difference - the situation is abysmal and there's nothing looking to change that anytime soon.

Also, again, Wii passes the 100 million mark. Amazing work!

Let's be honest, shipped/sold it doesn't make much of a difference - the situation is abysmal and there's nothing looking to change that anytime soon.

For the Wii U yes. The 3DS is doing ok and that has to be the priority for Nintendo. The Wii U is done!!

For the Wii U yes. The 3DS is doing ok and that has to be the priority for Nintendo. The Wii U is done!!

The 3DS is fine and will no doubt do great numbers once Pokemon and MH4 are released. After those titles? Who knows as Nintendo haven't shown anything really for next year.

The Wii U isn't doing well at all but it's not done yet. If Nintendo can't pull anything off this holiday season, especially with the line up of games they have, then things will be looking pretty shaky.

The 3DS is fine and will no doubt do great numbers once Pokemon and MH4 are released. After those titles? Who knows as Nintendo haven't shown anything really for next year.

The Wii U isn't doing well at all but it's not done yet. If Nintendo can't pull anything off this holiday season, especially with the line up of games they have, then things will be looking pretty shakey.

It needs a mammoth holiday season but doesn’t have Mario kart.

I just see a difficult holiday season going up against new consoles in the PS4/Xbox one. 360/PS3 which will be cheap offering extensive libraries and games like GTA V, Fifa 14 and COD. A 3DS with Pokemon and MH4.

Even with the releases coming I just don’t see the holiday season Nintendo needs for the Wii U.

So sick of people dealing with absolutes.

Yes, the Wii U isn't selling well, but it is FAR from done.

I mean hell, Pikmin came in #1 in Japan's charts and #2 in the UK Charts...UK, a country that generally hates Nintendo.

When their actual big guns come out, it'll be a completely different matter. It's illogical to conclude that games such as the sequel to the fastest selling 3D Mario game, one which, joint with Mario Kart, saved the 3DS, will make no difference.

There are also dozens of games coming for the console this year.

Seriously, get over it. I get you may not like the Wii U, or Nintendo, but it's absolutely ridiculous to just ignore the fact that they are actually making an effort to change things, and that the quarter that has been reported today wasn't a part of that.

They might be trying to change things but change takes years, not a few quarters.

And I'm not even 100% they actually changing so much as waiting for time to pass.

Hopefully we'll get a 3ds Nintendo Direct a little later in the year which drops some bombs for 2014 releases.

*Metroid & F Zero, Metroid & F Zero, Metroid & F Zero*

"Please understand that Metroid 3Dread will launch in March 2014, and F Zero 3DX will launch in April 2014"

I'm highly anticipating the upcoming Wii U titles this year, but the 3DS has been fucking killing it, and long may it continue please Nintendo.

It needs a mammoth holiday season but doesn’t have Mario kart.

I just see a difficult holiday season going up against new consoles in the PS4/Xbox one. 360/PS3 which will be cheap offering extensive libraries and games like GTA V, Fifa 14 and COD. A 3DS with Pokemon and MH4.

Even with the releases coming I just don’t see the holiday season Nintendo needs for the Wii U.

This is the problem isnt it. They had a whole year to get the Wii U out ahead but wasted it. Now that they are starting to make an effort with advertising and a few new games they are doing it at the worst possible time with massive games coming to consoles other than their own and two new consoles which people will be more likely to see as actual next gen than the Wii U.

When their actual big guns come out, it'll be a completely different matter. It's illogical to conclude that games such as the sequel to the fastest selling 3D Mario game, one which, joint with Mario Kart, saved the 3DS, will make no difference.

It may not though. At the end of the day all any of us can do is speculate and you are no more right than those who say the system is dead.

Mario and Mario Kart may have saved the 3DS but it doesn't mean they will give the massive push the Wii U needs. Just look at NSMBU numbers. The Wii version was a beast yet the Wii U one hasn't had the impact Nintendo were banking on.

Nobody is right or wrong in this debate. As I said, all we can do is speculate.

So sick of people dealing with absolutes.

Yes, the Wii U isn't selling well, but it is FAR from done.

I mean hell, Pikmin came in #1 in Japan's charts and #2 in the UK Charts...UK, a country that generally hates Nintendo.

There are also dozens of games coming for the console this year.

Seriously, get over it. I get you may not like the Wii U, or Nintendo, but it's absolutely ridiculous to just ignore the fact that they are actually making an effort to change things, and that the quarter that has been reported today wasn't a part of that.

If you can show me a console which has historically performed so bad recover then please go ahead.

The big guns did very little for the Gamecube.

I dont doubt they are trying to turn things around but the real question is why has it been allowed to get to this stage. It was Nintendo that chose to launch a console with key games ready for months afterwards.

Has it not occured to you that just maybe the product is unappealing the masses and they have no interest in it?

It may not though. At the end of the day all any of us can do is speculate and you are no more right than those who say the system is dead.

Mario and Mario Kart may have saved the 3DS but it doesn't mean they will give the massive push the Wii U needs. Just look at NSMBU numbers. The Wii version was a beast yet the Wii U one hasn't had the impact Nintendo were banking on.

Nobody is right or wrong in this debate. As I said, all we can do is speculate.

NSMB isn't a system seller, it's one that sells with the system if you get what I mean. I mean hell, nearly 70% of Wii U owners have it.

Comparing Mario and Mario Kart is the more logical course of action since they saved the 3DS from a similar, albeit not as dire, fate.

If you can show me a console which has historically performed so bad recover then please go ahead.

The big guns did very little for the Gamecube.

I dont doubt they are trying to turn things around but the real question is why has it been allowed to get to this stage. It was Nintendo that chose to launch a console with key games ready for months afterwards.

Has it not occured to you that just maybe the product is unappealing the masses and they have no interest in it?

It depends on your definition of recover. If you think recover means it'll sell amazingly, be the top of the charts and break records, then there's no chance in hell of that ever happening.

However, it having modest sales, a decent install base and turn a profit then yes, it will rebound and you're crazy to think otherwise.

Hopefully we'll get a 3ds Nintendo Direct a little later in the year which drops some bombs for 2014 releases.

*Metroid & F Zero, Metroid & F Zero, Metroid & F Zero*

"Please understand that Metroid 3Dread will launch in March 2014, and F Zero 3DX will launch in April 2014"

I'm highly anticipating the upcoming Wii U titles this year, but the 3DS has been fucking killing it, and long may it continue please Nintendo.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd love them, they would in no way help the sales of the console. Those games are not system sellers at all

NSMB isn't a system seller, it's one that sells with the system if you get what I mean. I mean hell, nearly 70% of Wii U owners have it.

So not many then. :D

I get what you mean but the console market and handheld market are very different beasts. This is why you can't take for granted that the Wii U will get as good of a rebound as the 3DS did just because similar games are getting released.

Comparing Mario and Mario Kart is the more logical course of action since they saved the 3DS from a similar, albeit not as dire, fate.

It depends on your definition of recover. If you think recover means it'll sell amazingly, be the top of the charts and break records, then there's no chance in hell of that ever happening.

However, it having modest sales, a decent install base and turn a profit then yes, it will rebound and you're crazy to think otherwise.

Modest sales isnt the target though is it? Say the console did 20 mil LTD.

That would be an 80% drop off from the Wii. Thats an unprecedented drop in marketshare. With the Wii Iwata said the aim wasnt to just sell what the gamecube did and there is no doubt its the same with the wii u.

Modest sales isnt the target though is it? Say the console did 20 mil LTD.

That would be an 80% drop off from the Wii. Thats an unprecedented drop in marketshare. With the Wii Iwata said the aim wasnt to just sell what the gamecube did and there is no doubt its the same with the wii u.

I was thinking about that quote from Iwata too. I think its fair to say that Nintendo won't be happy with modest sales and their definition of recovery for the Wii U is not to sell worse then the Gamecube. When Iwata himself has said selling as much or slightly more then the gamecube is considered a failure.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd love them, they would in no way help the sales of the console. Those games are not system sellers at all

Ah my post probably wasn't clear enough dude, I meant get them on the 3DS next year. It may not boost any 3DS sales, but it'd sure make me happy :p

So not many then. :D

I get what you mean but the console market and handheld market are very different beasts. This is why you can't take for granted that the Wii U will get as good of a rebound as the 3DS did just because similar games are getting released.

I never said it'd get as good a rebound. I expect half of it at most, but a rebound is still a rebound

Ah my post probably wasn't clear enough dude, I meant get them on the 3DS next year. It may not boost any 3DS sales, but it'd sure make me happy :p

Nuts to that. HD F-Zero on the Wii U is where it should be :p

Incidentally, some figures have come from Dave Gibson

So far this month in Japan, Wii U software sales have quadrupled and hardware has almost doubled.

It goes to show, games sell hardware. The Wii U had no games last quarter ergo it didn't move hardware

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Incidentally, some figures have come from Dave Gibson

So far in Japan, Wii U software sales have quadrupled and hardware has almost doubled.

It goes to show, games sell hardware. The Wii U had no games last quarter ergo it didn't move hardware

It's something I have said all along. If the software is there then a console will sell. I mean people picked up a PS3 that was £400+ just for MGS4, myself included.

It's been mentioned before in this very thread, the question isn't whether or not new software will create an increase in hardware sales ( of course it will ) it's whether the sales will remain stable or drop back down to the usual levels.