NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

Great doing, Raineeng.

Pull Day killed me. I almost fell asleep whilst eating my tea. Why do we put ourselves through this? :p

I've hurt my hand somehow! I picked up my bag (which isn't even heavy) and I felt a funny twinge in my hand. I took no notice of it anyway, it didn't hurt but I felt it. I went to my mate's house, had a chat and a bit of a laugh, so later on in the day, me and my mate's husband were play-fighting a bit, saying how he could kick my arse because he does karate (he wishes, I grabbed his leg and made him dance ;)) and it felt fine then. However, much later on, my hand started throbbing a little. At night, I couldn't put any weight on it whatsoever so I got some ice and put it on my hand.

This morning, I woke up with the same feeling and I have the gym today. I think I'll give the weights a miss and just do the cardio. Bit gutted! :(

I'm also a bit glad that you don't get any music playing in our squash place. The sound of the ball hitting the walls is extremely enjoyable...yes. I like it.

I can't imagine anything worse than music during a sport. How can you concentrate? I used to listen to music to study but I found that it was really distracting. Now if I'm studying/working and want to listen to something I'll put on classical music of some sort, sound tracks, orchestral versions of popular music and it works well.

For sport, apart from running/cycling, no music. You need to be able to think about what's going on, where you're gouing to play your next shot, where your opponent is on the court.

I was playing a lot of chess on holiday and couldn't think if someone had music on.

Sooo, anybody here jogging regularly?

I want to start, but I'm not exactly sure how long the first few runs should be.

Haven't done any running since I stopped playing football 7 (!) years ago. There has been the occasional weekend when I did some sports involving a lot of running.

Need help :p

I'm thinking about trying to run for 30 minutes at a slow pace for a few weeks and then increasing the speed.

I want to start, but I'm not exactly sure how long the first few runs should be.

Haven't done any running since I stopped playing football 7 (!) years ago. There has been the occasional weekend when I did some sports involving a lot of running.

I'm thinking about trying to run for 30 minutes at a slow pace for a few weeks and then increasing the speed.

I recommend C25K

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

14km run on Saturday, Gym workout/5-a-side on Sunday and 14km run today. Back to the gym tomorrow before the sacred REST DAY.

Didn't go swimming tonight, really annoyed at myself, I genuinely wanted to go. But due to a stomach ache I was unable to even stand up properly.

Quick question however, would going swimming every night (aka 5 days a week without a break) do more damage than good? I've spoken to a few people and they have stated I probably shouldn't go every night and give my body a rest. But given how low impact swimming is...

?

Didn't go swimming tonight, really annoyed at myself, I genuinely wanted to go. But due to a stomach ache I was unable to even stand up properly.

Quick question however, would going swimming every night (aka 5 days a week without a break) do more damage than good? I've spoken to a few people and they have stated I probably shouldn't go every night and give my body a rest. But given how low impact swimming is...

?

That would be fine. Swimming is relatively low impact, so doesn't stress the body so badly. Might be a bit sore for a while until you condition your body to it but you rest on the weekends and be ready go come the start of the week.

I've slowly come to realise that I need to do something (although part of that is seeing the NE Meet photos and realising how much I've changed in a year).

I doubt I'll be able to exercise around my house so I've been looking at a gym. The two closest to me are:

Option 1

- £20 a month.

- 30 minute walk away (or 25 minute walk + public transport).

- Has lots of ties to boxing.

- Closes at 5PM on a weekend.

- 12 month minimum.

Option 2

- £52 a month (or £25 for weekends)

- 10 minute walk away.

- Has a squash league.

- Has a swimming pool.

- Closes at 9PM on weekends.

- 6 months minimum.

I would mainly use a gym on a weekend, so the price wouldn't actually be that different (weekend also includes after 4PM on Friday), on top of this the squash league is a pretty good incentive - the ties to boxing just brings up an image I don't like.

The distance will also probably be a huge factor. The 30 minute walk to option 1 is entirely downhill, meaning the journey back would be uphill (the public transport cuts the easiest part out).

So as ridiculously expensive as option 2 sounds, I think it actually may be a great option for me. I just wanted to get some kind of second opinion or advice in general - the whole exercise thing is new to me.

I should also do something about the food I eat. One big factor is moving into my own place and buying my own food. Mainly because I stick to meals I know I like, so I need to look into healthier options (probably a bit less meat).

I've slowly come to realise that I need to do something (although part of that is seeing the NE Meet photos and realising how much I've changed in a year).

I doubt I'll be able to exercise around my house so I've been looking at a gym. The two closest to me are:

Option 1

- £20 a month.

- 30 minute walk away (or 25 minute walk + public transport).

- Has lots of ties to boxing.

- Closes at 5PM on a weekend.

- 12 month minimum.

Option 2

- £52 a month (or £25 for weekends)

- 10 minute walk away.

- Has a squash league.

- Has a swimming pool.

- Closes at 9PM on weekends.

- 6 months minimum.

I would mainly use a gym on a weekend, so the price wouldn't actually be that different (weekend also includes after 4PM on Friday), on top of this the squash league is a pretty good incentive - the ties to boxing just brings up an image I don't like.

The distance will also probably be a huge factor. The 30 minute walk to option 1 is entirely downhill, meaning the journey back would be uphill (the public transport cuts the easiest part out).

So as ridiculously expensive as option 2 sounds, I think it actually may be a great option for me. I just wanted to get some kind of second opinion or advice in general - the whole exercise thing is new to me.

I should also do something about the food I eat. One big factor is moving into my own place and buying my own food. Mainly because I stick to meals I know I like, so I need to look into healthier options (probably a bit less meat).

Go for option 2. Getting there and getting back can at times be the "hard" bit in the sense that you'll have to psyche yourself up to get out of the house in order to get to that gym.

I had the same dilemma with my squash club, whether to join one that was more expensive but only 5 minutes away, or join one that was cheap but 45 minutes away. In the end, I went for the closer one because I'd be more likely to actually get to that one.

Closing at 5 on the weekend and having to do 30 minutes each way kills that deal, imo. Go for the other one. A 10 minute walk is fine, as is that weekend rate and you'll also have access to that pool and squash league. Do eet naaaww.

I've "booked" some kind of tour with them so they can show me the facilities and discuss the best pricing option. I'm unlikely to use it, but the price also includes some other locations (it's with Village Hotels).

I've "booked" some kind of tour with them so they can show me the facilities and discuss the best pricing option. I'm unlikely to use it, but the price also includes some other locations (it's with Village Hotels).

Yeah, what they'll do is they'll take you through the gym area and show you what's what. It's something that they have to do. Lots of small talk, they'll probably ask you one or two questions, such as what you'll be looking to do (whether you're just here for a bit of light swimming, there to bulk up or slim down, or play squash or something).

One thing though, they'll probably try to be a bit pushy and get you to sign up to extra things you might necessarily need, so just have a think beforehand about what you want and what you'll get from it. If you know that all you want to do is go weekends, then don't let them push the full contract onto you (where you pay more for weekdays).

Otherwise, enjoy it and get a good feel for the place. If you enjoy it, you could end up spending a lot of time there and it'll quickly become a second home. :p

Up and ready to go gym before work! Oh yeeeeeaaaa!

Back day today!

Thanks, Flink. I think I can counter the sales pitch by saying that I can always upgrade later.

Now to sort out my eating habits.

I run twice a week. One short run and one 10k. I run 10k in around 46 minutes. I suggest you start with something around 3k, map it out, warm up first, take music and have a cold drink in the fridge waiting for your return. Don't start with a crazy pace, build up to that if you feel you're not pushing yourself.

Thanks, Flink. I think I can counter the sales pitch by saying that I can always upgrade later.

Now to sort out my eating habits.

Was going to say that. You can upgrade easily but not downgrade.

Didn't end up at the gym tonight either, still got that stomach bug linger around - grr!

But hopefully back at it tomorrow with an hour session, woohoo. I also noticed drinking a shit ton of water, my skin is loving me right now.

<3

62.5kg squats today, my legs are falling out with me. I made it better with some ice cream. :)

I've got quad dimples above my knee! My butt is growing. I've got SLIGHT definition in my hams

^^

all of the above WITHOUT any boring isolation exercises.

I do have minimal definition in my arms but I think thats cause I'm shit weak upper body and i'm overweight lol

I worked out for around 3 hours in the gym today. I feel amazing! I've burned 700 calories on the elliptical trainer for an hour and then went on to do weights and cardio. I think altogether I must have burned at least 900-1000 calories on each day (went today and yesterday). :D

On way to gym to do legs

Not feeling too enthusiastic about it, I must say!

Didn't end up at the gym tonight either, still got that stomach bug linger around - grr!

But hopefully back at it tomorrow with an hour session, woohoo. I also noticed drinking a shit ton of water, my skin is loving me right now.

<3

I drink a shit load of water too. I find in the afternoon I need to pee so much more than the mornign though even with equal water drinking!

62.5kg squats today, my legs are falling out with me. I made it better with some ice cream. :)

I've got quad dimples above my knee! My butt is growing. I've got SLIGHT definition in my hams

^^

all of the above WITHOUT any boring isolation exercises.

I do have minimal definition in my arms but I think thats cause I'm shit weak upper body and i'm overweight lol

Great effort. I found when I started doing squats I so quickly went from 60-90kg. Eat enough and keep on upping the weight each time you do them. Back to squats again tonight for me. Did a mini-set on Sunday after holiday to ease back in. Only 70kg instead of what should have been, I think, 92.5kg. Not looking forward to tennis tomorrow nigth!

On way to gym to do legs

Not feeling too enthusiastic about it, I must say!

Do eet, brah. Or8!

Great effort. I found when I started doing squats I so quickly went from 60-90kg. Eat enough and keep on upping the weight each time you do them. Back to squats again tonight for me. Did a mini-set on Sunday after holiday to ease back in. Only 70kg instead of what should have been, I think, 92.5kg. Not looking forward to tennis tomorrow nigth!

I find squats/legs the hardest to do when on a cut. When you're bulking, you have all of this energy and confidence, so it's much easier to up the weight. Legs at the moment are tough. I found the lunges yesterday just destroyed me.

On the plus side, my body is generally looking much better. I've noticed wearing clothes that they don't "hug" my gut as much as they used to. So, that's reassuring to know. They still feel good on the back and arms, so I don't think I've lost too much size. Am I winning?

I find squats/legs the hardest to do when on a cut. When you're bulking, you have all of this energy and confidence, so it's much easier to up the weight. Legs at the moment are tough. I found the lunges yesterday just destroyed me.

I think it's the same for all body parts but you feel it in legs/squats more because they're bigger muscles? I find that I feel so weak if I'm hungry at the gym.

I'm cutting at the moment too and want to increase if possible but at least maintain where I'm at right now.

I think it's the same for all body parts but you feel it in legs/squats more because they're bigger muscles? I find that I feel so weak if I'm hungry at the gym.

I'm cutting at the moment too and want to increase if possible but at least maintain where I'm at right now.

Yeah, it'll also have something to do with the movements involved and just your general strength in that area. Some people might have greater upper body strength than lower.

You might increase, although it will be tougher. Having food does make a huuuge difference. Although I guess you could tweak it by eating closer to your workouts, but then you'll suffer during the rest of the day. Even if your lifts do go slightly down, you could just change your style of workout where you increase the rep range but decrease the weights. So, rather than lifting for strength or power, you lift for reps and size. Although, you won't really gain size on a cut.