NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

I really don't want to wear those ghey gloves people do when lifting but the grip is a bit of a problem when deadlifting at heavier weights.

Think i'll soldier on :heh:

That was exactly my opinion. That is until I developed blisters on the palms of my hand.

I then got the gloves.

“If you’re going to wear gloves, make sure they match your purse.”

- Mark Ribbetoe

That said, I have considered it sometimes. I just find that my grip gets worse from wearing gloves and it doesn't help the hard skin below my fingers, i.e. like this:

tumblr_m6om24XnQW1qkcwsm.jpg

So I go bare handed.

(That's not my hand, just a google picture.)

I've never tried gloves. Do they actually help much at all? Won't it hinder your grip strength in the long run, unless you plan on using gloves forever?

I'm going to get back into skipping tomorrow. I'll do it in the morning after I've dropped Ine off at work, as it's cooler then and the outside of the house will be in the shade. Tomorrow will also be Pull Day and potentially will be doing squash in the evening. Tiredings o'clock.

I only use gloves because the grips on my weights were made by the same people who make sand paper and cheese graters.

God, I hate going to the toilet after leg day. Hardest task of the day.

Stairs?

First time in this thread, I saw it mentioned in the Good Stuff thread.... You people make me feel like I'm hardly doing anything.

Gym's have people so they scare me from going. I've just been running on my sister's treadmill instead. Today was quite the day I've typically just been running 1 mile (1.6km) (5mph(8kph), 12 minutes) and stopping. Today I ran 2 miles (3.2km) for a full 24 minutes.

Was kinda proud of myself with no one to tell.

I just find the gloves help protect your skin.

Yeah, it will leave you with smoother skin, I imagine. Basically, guitar and gym will ruin your hands. :p

Stairs?

First time in this thread, I saw it mentioned in the Good Stuff thread.... You people make me feel like I'm hardly doing anything.

Gym's have people so they scare me from going. I've just been running on my sister's treadmill instead. Today was quite the day I've typically just been running 1 mile (1.6km) (5mph(8kph), 12 minutes) and stopping. Today I ran 2 miles (3.2km) for a full 24 minutes.

Was kinda proud of myself with no one to tell.

Stairs are awful. Worse considering that I live on a ground floor flat. Every step down there is ow, ow, ow. There's a lot of them, too.

Anyway, welcome to this thread. That's good going with the running.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Lost a stone within a month. Basically, moving a lot more and eating less unhealthy foods. I'm happy.

Yeah, it will leave you with smoother skin, I imagine. Basically, guitar and gym will ruin your hands. :p

Stairs are awful. Worse considering that I live on a ground floor flat. Every step down there is ow, ow, ow. There's a lot of them, too.

Anyway, welcome to this thread. That's good going with the running.

Yeaaah I rent a 2 story place. I overdid it with leg lunges/free squats one night. Holy crap going upstairs to bed was awful, and downstairs the next morning...and to the toilet, you get the idea. Awful.

Dunno when it is, but a local zoo holds a annual 5K, might do that with my Sister and Brother in law, they did it last year actually. Realistically I want to lose about 40 pounds. Google tells me, 2.8 stone. Stone is strange.

Gloves all the way. I get a much better grip on weights using them.

Started Insanity last week. Damn.

Yeaaah I rent a 2 story place. I overdid it with leg lunges/free squats one night. Holy crap going upstairs to bed was awful, and downstairs the next morning...and to the toilet, you get the idea. Awful.

Dunno when it is, but a local zoo holds a annual 5K, might do that with my Sister and Brother in law, they did it last year actually. Realistically I want to lose about 40 pounds. Google tells me, 2.8 stone. Stone is strange.

14 pounds in a stone.

16 ounces in a pound. Everything imperial is strange.

That's right, I'm a Stormcloak.

14 pounds in a stone.

16 ounces in a pound. Everything imperial is strange.

I will never argue that fact. I will however argue that what is stranger are the countries mixing Metric and Imperial.

Also

Hahahah, well played.

Callouses ain't that bad if you look after em. I personally find that gloves detract from the grip... makes the bar ever so slightly wider with the extra padding. If anything straps would help more, but you're definitely better training your grip with farmers walks, and deadlift holds. And chalk is excellent. :)

On another note - post leg day sucks for females! I wanna stand up n pee :(

I forgot to say that I prefer weight machines over the free weights but that's mostly down to the fact I feel a bit embarrassed and intimidated and annoyed all at the same time. Embarrassed and intimidated because of the dudes that hang there, they just proper talk to one another in groups and look over and sometimes I think they talk about people in the gym but annoyed because they're always frickin' there! It's annoying!

I use the multi-gym which has several weights on it and it's bloody amazing! I want one for my house but they cost ridiculous amounts of money!

I forgot to say that I prefer weight machines over the free weights but that's mostly down to the fact I feel a bit embarrassed and intimidated and annoyed all at the same time. Embarrassed and intimidated because of the dudes that hang there, they just proper talk to one another in groups and look over and sometimes I think they talk about people in the gym but annoyed because they're always frickin' there! It's annoying!

I use the multi-gym which has several weights on it and it's bloody amazing! I want one for my house but they cost ridiculous amounts of money!

If you want things for the house, get yourself a bench and some free weights. The multi-gyms are decent, but you'll "out-grow it" at some point, unless you pay big, big amounts of money for a monumentally expensive one. Plus, surely you'll be limited by what you can do just by using that?

Or, get rich, and buy the multigym, the bench and the weights. :geek:

I had my Pull Day today instead of yesterday as I had squash and was too fucking tired for it. By the final game, I was dead on my feet. Pull Day today destroyed me. Dat heat! It's too warm for this.

I actually can't remember the last time I used a weight machine..

Some of the machines force your joints in ways they may not want to go.. if perhaps you have an underlying weakness or joint problem. I can't use the leg extension machine purely because it doesn't let my knees track naturally and feels horrible. Long term usage with a lot of weight is asking for trouble.. Good form with freeweights can be taught.

I actually can't remember the last time I used a weight machine..

Some of the machines force your joints in ways they may not want to go.. if perhaps you have an underlying weakness or joint problem. I can't use the leg extension machine purely because it doesn't let my knees track naturally and feels horrible. Long term usage with a lot of weight is asking for trouble.. Good form with freeweights can be taught.

Yeah, some of the machines put unnecessary stress on the joints. I think the shoulder press machine (it probably has a name, whatever it's called) is quite bad for this, and you're also limited by the range of motion. Not sure if machine pec flys are too clever either.

I ended up skipping earlier and did some bicep training a few hours afterwards. Squash tomorrow, possibly leg day, but we'll see how that goes. My body is dead.

Back in the gym last night. First weights session in 2 or 3 weeks as I've been doing lots of sport. Put together a programme that involves 3 weight sessions a week. Keeping track of everything I lift.

Didn't take weight or body fat last night but somehow over the past 2 months my measurements (chest, waist, bicep, upper and lower leg) have all stayed roughly the same. My waist has actually gone down by 2cm or something - sports have. Been paying off!

Reckon my body fat is around 16-17% but will measure it properly tomorrow. 9 days until Spain so there's not much chance of a big improvement before that but will hold me in good stead for when I'm home.

Yeah, some of the machines put unnecessary stress on the joints. I think the shoulder press machine (it probably has a name, whatever it's called) is quite bad for this, and you're also limited by the range of motion. Not sure if machine pec flys are too clever either.

I ended up skipping earlier and did some bicep training a few hours afterwards. Squash tomorrow, possibly leg day, but we'll see how that goes. My body is dead.

Dem biceps! :P

Mine are still ever so slowlllllyyyy growing. : peace:

Went for a run after work. Was a good run but I think the weather helped with that.

Cant wait to hit the weights again. Hopefully I can keep up the running at the same time. I dunno whether to do that and then decide whether I need to cut or bulk.

At present you can tell I lift but ive got a gut so I dont know what to focus on.

Finally won a squash game again! I played brilliantly today, destroyed Jim! This doesn't happen often so I am really chuffed! =)

Weight loss is going shit by the way, but I am going to restart properly on Monday I think, back to the salads for lunch etc. now that my tooth/gums have healed better. Gotta shift the weight!

Dem biceps! :P

Mine are still ever so slowlllllyyyy growing. : peace:

Keep eet up and they will come.

Looool, a very good woman friend of mine hung out with me today and was moaning about the size of her legs. I told her they were fine, but gave her tips on how to tone up. "I don't want to do weights because I don't want to get big."

Yes, you'll get accidentally big. Had to tell her that you'll only get big by lifting big and eating big. A moment of enlightenment.

Went for a run after work. Was a good run but I think the weather helped with that.

Cant wait to hit the weights again. Hopefully I can keep up the running at the same time. I dunno whether to do that and then decide whether I need to cut or bulk.

At present you can tell I lift but ive got a gut so I dont know what to focus on.

When in doubt, cut. I'm in the mindset that I'd like to enjoy the fruits of my labour. It would be nice to look at myself and not think, "shit son, you fat." So, I'm cutting. At least then you can clean bulk afterwards. I'd keep up the weights but look at the diet and continue with the running.

I got ruined at squash tonight. Won the first game but then Ine came right into it and killed me. Her shot placement was very good, probably the best I've seen it and she was quicker than usual. Friday will be victory day.

Tomorrow is leg day. Pray for me.

Doesn't really matter if your bulking or cutting regard to weights. The only difference would be the reps and how heavy you lift. You should always some form of resistance training. It's just a matter of striking the balance. I like to do a couple of weight sessions a week, a couple of runs and I play 5-a-sides one a week too.

Doesn't really matter if your bulking or cutting regard to weights. The only difference would be the reps and how heavy you lift. You should always some form of resistance training. It's just a matter of striking the balance. I like to do a couple of weight sessions a week, a couple of runs and I play 5-a-sides one a week too.

It does matter though in terms of his weight, which I imagine is the thing that he is addressing. He's not going to lose the belly on a bulk.