Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

THQ files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Clearlake enters w/ purchase agreement

Dcubed

Well, guess the silver lining is as Cube said; the devs are technically a free agent? So could make something similar elsewhere? Personally I liked 2 more than 3, but I'll likely get 4 if/when it comes out too.

Another question: If no one has picked up Vigil/Darksiders, what happens to production of Darksiders II, say? Like for Wii U? Cos I wanna get it when I get my Wii U, but surely now no one's publishing??

Edited by Rummy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, guess the silver lining is as Cube said; the devs are technically a free agent? So could make something similar elsewhere? Personally I liked 2 more than 3, but I'll likely get 4 if/when it comes out too.

That was Metro. Koch fully own Volition.

Rumors kicking about that Platinum are interested in Vigil studios. Apparently a tweet from Atsushi Inaba said something about he couldn't believe Darksiders / Vigil didn't get sold, and wanting to buy them on the cheap.

Also don't know if this was posted -

Relic Entertainment

Makers of Company of Heroes

Winning bidder: Sega, $26.6 million.

Backup: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million.

THQ Montreal

Makers of 1666 and Underdog, titles under development.

Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $2.5 million. No runner-up.

Evolve

(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)

Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.

Backup: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

Volition, Inc.

Maker of Saints Row

Winning bidder: Koch Media, $22,312,925.

Backup: Ubisoft, $5.4 million.

Homefront

Released 2011; due for a sequel.

Winning bidder: Crytek. $544,218.

Metro

Series; due for the sequel Metro: Last Light.

Winning Bidder: Koch Media, $5,877,551

Backup: Ubisoft: $5.175 million.

South Park

License; South Park: The Stick of Truth is due for release March 5.

Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $3,265,306

TBH, I thought given the close proximity to Retro Studios, Nintendo would have stepped in and bought out Vigil Games (the two have shared developers and resources from time to time if I remember correctly). Not necessarily picking up the Darksiders license but picking up the studio at the very least, especially with so many rumours going around prior to THQ filing for bankruptcy that Nintendo was looking into doing just that.

Shame really as I loved the first Darksiders (haven't gotten round to playing the second yet) but it does sound like a bit of a mess over at Vigil just going off of some of the comments coming from those who work there.

But like others, happy that Activision didn't manage to get their hands on any of the licenses or studios.

I've always wondered where the money a customer pays for a game from a developer's studio that has dissapeared goes to.

And, HOLY SHIT!

Do we now have have the Company of Heroes franchise and the Total War franchise under one roof!!?!?

We might be looking at some sort of awesome pacific war RTS of epic proportions!

The problem with Vigil is that, on top of buying the company, you would have to entirely fund their next game. If all this happened just before Darksiders 2 was released, there probably would have been some interest.

I don't think Darksiders 2 was a massive commercial hit, so I don't think anyone wanted to risk funding the company for at least a year.

• 2 months later...

Good news...

Crytek Plans to Bid on Darksiders Rights

“Put 7 years of heart and soul into that franchise, and I think it belongs at home with its creators."

Crytek plans to bid on the rights to the Darksiders franchise. In a post on Twitter, Crytek USA CEO David Adams wrote that Crytek is “going to bid on Darksiders IP.” He noted that the team “put 7 years of heart and soul into that franchise, and I think it belongs at home with its creators.”

Back in January, 35 Vigil employees joined Crytek USA, and Crytek confirmed at the time that the studio was “more like a new start for [the team at Vigil]." At the time, Crytek said it wasn’t pursuing the Darksiders IP, but it appears that things have changed.

Vigil co-founder Ryan Stefanelli clarified to Destructoid that "when the Darksiders IP goes up for auction, Crytek will be bidding for it. Not much more to say since the rest is left up to courts and legal shenanigans, but we're all excited at the prospect."

THQ said in February that it expects to sell off its remaining assets before the end of May. For now, nothing has been finalized for the Darksiders IP, but this could be a glimmer of hope for fans.

So it sounds like Crytek is after the franchise, as well as absorbing Vigil's staff (instead of buying the entire company). Considering the co-founder is "excited" it suggests that him and Crytek have been talking, and that he'd join Crytek if they buy the franchise.

Given what someone said about the development of II, why would they even look to make a III if the team had issues with each other?

I'm still confused as to where money from sales of II are going to at the moment as well; if THQ are technically bankrupt? On that note, will it then mean that further sales of it should then go to Crytek, if they attain the IP?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!