NEurope
Daft

The 'Other' Wii U Thread

Don't dress up like a silly cat.

I know you were just trying to rhyme, but dressing Mario as a Raccoon and as a Bee worked pretty well for their own games. Don't go dissin' the Cat suit just yet, yo.

We got more than enough linear Mario in Galaxy and Galaxy 2.

We needed a return to the Super Mario 64 style.

I was really hoping that was what they had in store for the Wii U's 3D Mario game. Something with the gameplay of Mario 64: Dropping you in a 3D world to explore and run about in.

SSD is a flash memory, it isn't the same though. For the very same reason Nintendo tell you on their website not to use memory sticks or memory cards plugged into a USB reader, because their life is very finite after a certain number of read/write cycles.

Unless I'm mistaken, SSDs and all flash memory(including that in the wii u itself too) will be subject to the limitations of finite read/write cycles; it's just a basic limitation of the tech; no?

We got more than enough linear Mario in Galaxy and Galaxy 2.

We needed a return to the Super Mario 64 style.

This. This always.

Can't deny though, those 'secret' levels in sunshine were quite a nice mixup though - red coin challenges on some of them were mad!

Unless I'm mistaken, SSDs and all flash memory(including that in the wii u itself too) will be subject to the limitations of finite read/write cycles; it's just a basic limitation of the tech; non?

In the same respect a regular HDD is too, yes. Think 100 years usage is one figure I remember reading for SSDs.

Edited by madeinbeats

I think the problem of Super Mario 3D World is that Mario and Zelda are the flagship franchises of Nintendo, i.e. they're supposed to a) be the very best the console has to offer and to b) showcase the full power of the current console. However, this one is doing neither as it looks like a Wii-game turned into an HD-remake. Thus it's kind of automatically bad press for the console, because it doesn't look next-gen at all. I mean why would a consumer pay 350€ for something like that, when even PS3 and 360 games look better?

Also, I think Nintendo's timing is really crappy on this. The console sales are suffering already, plus the Wii U market is saturated with cartoony platformers, so there is really no reason why they should make another game like that at this point. The main selling point of a Nintendo console are the Nintendo games, so now more than ever they should have to be able to demonstrate to the consumers that their product is worth buying. I mean I already own the console, yet my reaction was that "I bought this console for that?" Not good Nintendo, not good.

In the same respect a regular HDD is too, yes. Think 100 years usage is one figure I remember reading for SSDs.

But my point was I thought it's all the same tech? Hence I mentioned the limitation of the tech. Why do SSDs have any better life than the more portable flash devices? As for HDDs, I'm sure you'll find plenty people who've not managed to get 100 years usage out of them, and probably around 0 people who have. The latter definitely applies to SSDs too.

I think the problem of Super Mario 3D World is that Mario and Zelda are the flagship franchises of Nintendo, i.e. they're supposed to a) be the very best the console has to offer and to b) showcase the full power of the current console. However, this one is doing neither as it looks like a Wii-game turned into an HD-remake. Thus it's kind of automatically bad press for the console, because it doesn't look next-gen at all. I mean why would a consumer pay 350€ for something like that, when even PS3 and 360 games look better?

Also, I think Nintendo's timing is really crappy on this. The console sales are suffering already, plus the Wii U market is saturated with cartoony platformers, so there is really no reason why they should make another game like that at this point. The main selling point of a Nintendo console are the Nintendo games, so now more than ever they should have to be able to demonstrate to the consumers that their product is worth buying. I mean I already own the console, yet my reaction was that "I bought this console for that?" Not good Nintendo, not good.

I agree so much with this. Especially talking about a display of power - I still feel SM64 was a better display of power than this. It doesn't feel like it's breaking much ground, bar the limited-to-local-only multiplayer; which is still way behind the mark. It feels like they're just not trying to me :(

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

That article did raise interesting questions about where the second screen should sit. I actually love Ubisoft's take on it for The Division, for a local un-even kind of co-op. It engages different levels of gamer at basically two separate entry levels.

Consoles assume houses have a TV as standard so why not assume the same of tablets/smartphones. I think this kind of flexibility is really promising for the next gen.

I like the idea of being able to interact with some game elements while I'm sitting on the bus.

Edited by Cube

Guys, all of us Mods have had a good chat about the way the Wii U Console Discussion is going on this forum, and as you've probably seen @Hero\-of\-Time's post, we've come to a decision on how to handle it moving forward.

In order to stop the same argumentative behaviour simply migrating to this thread, in fairness we have decided to lock this thread too for the time being.

Of course, feel free to create individual threads for any Wii U related news that comes about for discussion, but they too will be closed should any members use them as a replacement for locked threads.

Cheers guys!

Given that a new Wii U General Thread has been created, I'm re-opening this. Although, the Wii U General Thread should now be a less hostile ground, so hopefully there won't really be a need for this one.

I have to agree with you on several points. For god knows what reason, Nintendo have made the distinct decision to over-saturate the Wii U with two genres: 2D platformers and minigame compilations. I mean, instead of launching the Wii U with a proper sequel to Mario 64, they gave us New Mario Bros, which is hardly the game that will make the core buy a new console. Then they announced Yarn Yoshi, promoted the hell out of Rayman and they put Retro Studios on work with Donkey Kong Returns Returns Returns.

They launched the Wii U with Nintendoland, then they filled out the empty "launch window" with ONE more game: Game & Wario. And they promoted Rabidsland.

However, we need to look at this with balance. If Mario 3D World is the main 3D Mario game for the system, then Nintendo deserve a thorough ass-whooping. If it's a game quickly thrown together to please us while they develop the REAL 3D Mario, then I'd say Nintendo are making ammends for their past sins.

I can agree that Nintendo need to start developing a wider variety of games. They need to show off better graphics and more "core" games. As I've said before: without core support, the casuals won't join in.

All the way to high school students who are thinking of getting into game development and want to know more about it.

I wouldn't really count those as "developers" just yet.

'Over 1000' indie devs have shown interest in Wii U

I don't think the phrase 'talk is cheap' has ever been more apt.

The web page just has a form to fill in. A fair few are probably journalists looking to keep updated, others may be hobbyists, a lot of studios/indies probably signed up to stay on track of things etc.

It's one hell of a PR spin.

I don't fear failure, says Iwata - Nintendo president says the firm must take risks

Speaking at the B Dash Camp startup conference in Osaka, Iwata insisted that Nintendo is a company that attempts to innovate rather than adhere to the status quo.

I think he's using 'innovation' as an excuse for Nintendo's stubbornness to modernise as well a veil for half-baked ideas that ultimately end up a novelty. They can't hide behind that crap anymore.

There's no excuse to not go third party - it isn't a long term fix? Please, the future will is software independent of hardware.

There's no excuse to not go third party - it isn't a long term fix?

Traditionally speaking, 1st-Parties-turned-3rd-Parties almost always end up doing badly, and not just financially (I recall previous discussions where we looked at Sega's lack of willingness to take risks when they were so eager to do so back in the Dreamcast days).

Just because people believe the future is a unified platform, it doesn't mean it will be, and certainly not in the near future.

The only reason I think it could potentially work for Nintendo is if they bowed out now they would still be in a good state financially so development of games should not be affected compared to the others who were more forced into the switch.