NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens

I'd love to see a Darth Maul movie. Yes it's played out in the comics and TV shows, but bring it to the big screen.

I'm rewatching this at the moment because the blu ray is "out" and I'm definitely enjoying it still, but watching it again has really confirmed for me how much they wasted Chewbacca. They make him seem like a bit of a wuss and then when he returns from the mission he just ignores Leia and gets on with staring blankly into the distance while the rebels celebrate, and Leia is comforted by Rey - a total stranger - rather than the Wookie who knew Han best. It's sickening.

Also, Greg fucking Grunberg is even worse the second time around.

EDIT: Also, why does Rey go alone to see Luke? Surely Leia would want to tag along. I know she's a General and all, but you'd think Ackbar would have enough experience to be able to look after things for a while, I guess Leia doesn't trust him.

Refrained from using spoiler tags, assume that's okay??

Edited by killthenet

I'm rewatching this at the moment because the blu ray is "out" and I'm definitely enjoying it still, but watching it again has really confirmed for me how much they wasted Chewbacca. They make him seem like a bit of a wuss and then when he returns from the mission he just ignores Leia and gets on with staring blankly into the distance while the rebels celebrate, and Leia is comforted by Rey - a total stranger - rather than the Wookie who knew Han best. It's sickening.

Grunberg's in it for like 30secs.

J.J. Abrams admitted his mistake with Leia and Chewy...

When asked about why Leia didn't hug Chewbacca after Han Solo's death -- opting to embrace Rey, a complete stranger, instead -- Abrams said he understood why some fans felt like the princess-turned-Resistance leader had dissed Han's Wookiee partner at one of his saddest moments.

"That was probably one of the mistakes I made in that," Abrams told /Film. "My thinking at the time was that Chewbacca, despite the pain he was feeling, was focused on trying to save Finn and getting him taken care of. So I tried to have Chewbacca go off with him and focus on Rey, and then have Rey find Leia and Leia find Rey. The idea being that both of them being strong with the Force and never having met, would know about each other — that Leia would have been told about her beyond what we saw onscreen and Rey of course would have learned about Leia. And that reunion would be a meeting and a reunion all in one, and a sort of commiseration of their mutual loss."

Abrams went on to blame his blocking of the scene for why it appeared to some fans as if Leia had brushed off Chewbacca.

then when he returns from the mission he just ignores Leia and gets on with staring blankly into the distance while the rebels celebrate, and Leia is comforted by Rey - a total stranger - rather than the Wookie who knew Han best. It's sickening.

JJ Abrams mentioned that he messed up filming that part. Chewbacca was supposed to be rushing off with Finn to get him medical attention, not lurking in the background.

JJ Abrams mentioned that he messed up filming that part. Chewbacca was supposed to be rushing off with Finn to get him medical attention, not lurking in the background.

This was an issue for me - IF you are assuming that Chewie owes Han a Life Debt as he does in the EU, then there is almost no way that he would have left with Rey at the end of the movie, as he would be focused on protecting Leia.

Grunberg's in it for like 30secs.

Yes, but those 30 seconds feel like forever because he's Greg Grunberg and his face doesn't fit.

This was an issue for me - IF you are assuming that Chewie owes Han a Life Debt as he does in the EU, then there is almost no way that he would have left with Rey at the end of the movie, as he would be focused on protecting Leia.

Yeah, as someone who loves the films but never read up on anything else - I always just assumed they were great friends, not that there was a life debt in place.

And also, Leia was never that nice to Chewbacca in the films. Not saying they couldn't have formed a bond in the interim of course.

Yeah, as someone who loves the films but never read up on anything else - I always just assumed they were great friends, not that there was a life debt in place.

And also, Leia was never that nice to Chewbacca in the films. Not saying they couldn't have formed a bond in the interim of course.

Just because she didn't give him a medal on Yavin it does not mean they didn't have a good relationship!

Chewie constantly teases Han about Leia in the OT, and even hugs Leia in TFA, there's certainly a bond. But tell me, if your former husband just died, would the first person you really want to see be his best friend?

Absolutely not. Some of the content of the scene was cut (read TFA novel, it adds A LOT of nice small details), and I think it was more of a fruitless effort to show that Rey felt even more alone than Leia when they returned.

Just because she didn't give him a medal on Yavin it does not mean they didn't have a good relationship!

I never said that at all.

I never said that at all.

Leia was never that nice to Chewie in the films.

Also, that was a joke.

Wish this wasn't an April Fools :/

I don't think Star Wars will ever delve into Netflix/TV until there's a unique story to be told. No way would a live action show be able to afford the visual and costume effects required, let alone the actors/actresses.

It could if they did 10-episode seasons a lá Game of Thrones and the like.

It could if they did 10-episode seasons a lá Game of Thrones and the like.

No chance.

Firstly, each episode of season six of GOT, on average, will cost $10 million to produce.

They could do a Netflix series which is a completely unique story, but otherwise, you're talking a LOT more than $10 million per episode. Call that $100 million to produce the ten episode season, minimum, and then possibly an equal amount just to market it (it's Star Wars - you know they love marketing).

That's $200 million+ for a show they'll probably make less money from per head than they do when compared to ticket prices at the cinema.

The Force Awakens cost $200 million to produce, and I'd much rather they make another movie (aka continue with what they're already doing) then get some crumby ten parter without the heart of Star Wars. Any story they wish to tell could also be done via animated media - look at how well Rebels and The Clone Wars do, commercially and critically.

Well they already are making more movies, no one suggested they'd rather have a TV series. And saying a TV show wouldn't have the "heart" of Star Wars is preposterous as you've no proof either way what it would be like.

And although I don't have a breakdown of exactly what that $200 million was spent on (and nor can I be bothered to look for one) it's safe to assume they'd manage to save quite a bit of money by reusing sets, paying actors less (I would assume it'd be a brand new cast that wouldn't get paid as much by far - with original actors showing up for cameos/guest appearances) and they'd have to be pickier/clever with the locations they picked. Game of Thrones is a good example of filming in exotic locations on a budget.

EDIT: Also, why does Rey go alone to see Luke? Surely Leia would want to tag along. I know she's a General and all, but you'd think Ackbar would have enough experience to be able to look after things for a while, I guess Leia doesn't trust him.

Refrained from using spoiler tags, assume that's okay??

Greg Grunberg does annoy me second time round for sure.

Also the only reason I can think Leia stays in place is because the Republic has now been destroyed and she may be better positioned for the diplomacy side of that stuff. The first time round I wasn't completely sure what planets they had destroyed and the relationship to the Resistance but it's obvious second time round.

As for the Rey & Leia thing yes they certainly missed an opportunity for Chewbacca to take that role of hugging her and evoking memories of Empires Strikes Back. Despite all this and JJ saying it was a regret I'm still not convinced Rey is a total stranger...I'm not sure she is a Skywalker per say but there is something going on and there are more things about Rey and some pre-production stuff that hints at her true nature.

Rey going to see Luke on her own makes absolutely perfect sense... I don't understand the issue. She's clearly going for a reason, to be trained, or who knows. Also, we don't know what happened in the past, maybe Leia blames luke for Kylo?

Leia not hugging chewie is one of those things which is annoying every time you see it - how did the writers, the director, and uf of the actors not say "hang on!!!".... hope Lucas does a Special Edition and CGs a hug between them......

Amazon, the unbearable company they are, shipped today, rather than sent it FOR today.... Luckily I'm busy all week, but I want to look at the box...

Rey going to see Luke on her own makes absolutely perfect sense... I don't understand the issue. She's clearly going for a reason, to be trained, or who knows. Also, we don't know what happened in the past, maybe Leia blames luke for Kylo?

Leia not hugging chewie is one of those things which is annoying every time you see it - how did the writers, the director, and uf of the actors not say "hang on!!!".... hope Lucas does a Special Edition and CGs a hug between them......

Amazon, the unbearable company they are, shipped today, rather than sent it FOR today.... Luckily I'm busy all week, but I want to look at the box...

Well, I'm not sure if Leia blames Luke for Kylo exactly.

She's the one who sent him away, at the behest of Han, and that caused the rift amongst the family to grow.

Also, the case is nothing special. And that certain person who appears at the end? They're on the back! (?!)

Well, I'm not sure if Leia blames Luke for Kylo exactly.

She's the one who sent him away, at the behest of Han, and that caused the rift amongst the family to grow.

Also, the case is nothing special. And that certain person who appears at the end? They're on the back! (?!)

My point was that we actually don't know what happened, she may have sent Kylo away, but maybe she blames luke for what happened. We don't know. Her not being there creates questions as to why. Which is always good in films; getting audiences to think and discuss.

I was sort of joking about looking at the box :) But hilarious they spoiler it... I guess they presume everyone who cares has already seen it now!

My point was that we actually don't know what happened, she may have sent Kylo away, but maybe she blames luke for what happened. We don't know. Her not being there creates questions as to why. Which is always good in films; getting audiences to think and discuss.

I was sort of joking about looking at the box :) But hilarious they spoiler it... I guess they presume everyone who cares has already seen it now!

The novelisation is considered canon, as long as the content does not take away or go against that of the film.

It mentions Poe's survival after the crash, Snoke talking a bit more about his origins, and about how Leia sent Kylo away without Han knowing (possibly when he was back on Kashyyyk with Chewie). I mean, he would have been pretty young then too, considering he was born within a year of the Battle of Endor.

And haha, I've got to admit though, the box is very underwhelming!

I don't understand a lot of people's problems with TFA myself though, from Rey beating Kylo to...nope, that's the main one.