NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens

In the part where Rey touches the lightsaber and has visions, she hear's some voices. Luke's "Noooo" was pretty clear, but there were also bits from Frank Oz, Ewan McGregor and Alec Guinness.

They initially recorded Obi-Wan's line with James Arnold Taylor (who was Obi-Wan in The Clone Wars), but then managed to get Ewan McGregor in to re-do the line. Then they cut part of one of Alec Guinness' lines in ANH so it said "Rey" and used Ewan McGregor's recording for the rest of the line.

http://time.com/4156306/ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-force-awakens/

Saw the cabinets theory on Gaf about Rey

some people think she is a Kenobi!

For which to work (after pointing out the 34 years from his death) means he had a secret family not mentioned in the trilogy (where he was described as a hermit) who had Rey and abandoned her for what ever reason

Some people really want her to not be a Skywalker

Saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it.

There was something about it though that I can't quite put my finger on... the pacing or something... Not that it was too slow, maybe that it was too fast, it never really put on the brakes. It was over at what felt like the second act.

I really loved the old-school visuals though, all the sets and practical effects were excellent.

There was something about it though that I can't quite put my finger on... the pacing or something... Not that it was too slow, maybe that it was too fast, it never really put on the brakes. It was over at what felt like the second act.

There was 20 minutes that was cut.

It was mainly from the second act, which explains the pacing. Most of it revolved around a resistance soldier that Leia sends to Hosnian Prime to get help from the New Republic. This soldier is visible for a second just before the planet gets blown up.

I think this would have helped a lot with the pacing, as well as actually explaining the importance of the planet that was blown up.

There was 20 minutes that was cut.

It was mainly from the second act, which explains the pacing. Most of it revolved around a resistance soldier that Leia sends to Hosnian Prime to get help from the New Republic. This soldier is visible for a second just before the planet gets blown up.

I think this would have helped a lot with the pacing, as well as actually explaining the importance of the planet that was blown up.

Damn, that sounds good! Any chance of a Peter Jackson extended edition on release?

Just seen... Fudging loved it! Seriously, it's my favourite Star Wars film now!

Can't wait to see it again.

you're just in the Leicester top of the league happy zone. You could watch Sharknado right now and think it's brilliant.

Seriously though, I did enjoy it but didn't like how some major events were just left unexplained, I know it's a trilogy, but each film should stand alone plus it's bloody annoying that we have to wait a year and a half to find things out, it's not like on tv when you get the answer the following week.

you're just in the Leicester top of the league happy zone. You could watch Sharknado right now and think it's brilliant.

Seriously though, I did enjoy it but didn't like how some major events were just left unexplained, I know it's a trilogy, but each film should stand alone plus it's bloody annoying that we have to wait a year and a half to find things out, it's not like on tv when you get the answer the following week.

This sounds like bitterness coming from a Chelsea fan...

I found the lack of syllables disturbing!

Finn

Ren

Rey

Poe

Han

Ben

Hux

Snoke

Luke

A New Hope worked so well partly because it didn't explain everything to the audience. It was chock-full of references that were left unexplored but that only added to the mystique, to the feeling that the Star Wars universe existed beyond the two hours of the film. Abrams has said he followed Lucas in this respect.

Thought the new one played it safe, which was somewhat expected, but what was there was executed brilliantly. New actors fitted like a glove, action had physicality, and the series' magic made me feel ten years younger.

I was beaming from ear-to-ear throughout the first watch. All I hope for the next instalment is that it's not an Empire copy and takes the characters (old and new) and does something completely new.

Funnily enough I did miss some of the prequel politics.

Hopefully we'll find out more about the New Republic, or what's left of it, and how the First Order came about - which I'm sure we will when we go more into Snoke.

@somme

The books expand on this a lot. Basically the senate and the remnants of the empire made a truce. Lived in peace under Chancellor Mothma; then out of the ashes of the empire the first order rose as a small extremist group; Leah warned the senate about them, but they didn't listen so she created the resistance to stop them. So in actuality in the grand scheme of things, the events of the films are on the edges of the galaxy not all over the galaxy (yet). The planet with all the people on the starkiller blew up was the planet where the senate resided, so they're all dead now!

@somme

The books expand on this a lot. Basically the senate and the remnants of the empire made a truce. Lived in peace under Chancellor Mothma; then out of the ashes of the empire the first order rose as a small extremist group; Leah warned the senate about them, but they didn't listen so she created the resistance to stop them. So in actuality in the grand scheme of things, the events of the films are on the edges of the galaxy not all over the galaxy (yet). The planet with all the people on the starkiller blew up was the planet where the senate resided, so they're all dead now!

Is this info from the now defunct expanded universe books? Or some new ones to tie in with the new trilogy?

Either way, thanks for the info!

Is this info from the now defunct expanded universe books? Or some new ones to tie in with the new trilogy?

Either way, thanks for the info!

New stuff. It's from the novelisation of the film and the visual dictionary. So all official.

New stuff. It's from the novelisation of the film and the visual dictionary. So all official.

Cheers. I know what I'm buying myself for Christmas! :D: peace:

Watched this last night after marathoning the original trilogy last week (and loling at the truely dreadful remastered effects & monsters, which I'd not seen before)

First hour or so was truely a joy, completely perfect. Lost it's way a little for me toward the end but overall basically a triumph.

Fantastic set designs and character designs. Until rewatching the originals I'd forgotten how batshit crazy they were in terms of mad aliens propping up every scene. Some great tracking shots - loved the one through Lupita's bar - felt very alive and star wars-ey. Also respect for keeping in those awful wipe transitions from the original and them not being too horribly intrusive!

Also great sound design - particularly on the force-battle thing with Rey and Ren. And I loved Ren's voice! Suitably menacing whilst keeping Driver's intonations intact- unlike Bane or Batman etc. Lightsabers sounded / looked pleasing too.

Boyega and Ridley killed it. Was grinning like a mad man through the opening scenes. Shame Oscar Isaacs ended up having such a bit part role after a great start. Disappointed Gwendoline Christie had such a non-role. As others have said, Adam Driver was a really great disjointed villan. Gave Ford and Fisher a lot more to do to boot.

Also didn't particularly care about any of the massive coincidences. Hasn't Star Wars always been full of those? Isn't it all explained by some general nonsense about the force?

Didn't like: Ultimately (perhaps having only just rewatched the originals) it did veer from paying homage to full on pastiche, almost as if it was a shot for shot remake at times. The attack on the super-death star thing seemed way too familiar. In fact none of the latter x-wing scenes interested me at all, I guess because of the lack of characters I cared about in the battles? Felt as if the script went a bit too far in the other direction trying to get avoid the ponderous politics of the prequels, leaving it all a bit bare.

Snorke has to be the lamest name in the film but the character interested me. Loved the bit where Gleeson and Driver were lined up in front of him like two bickering teenagers. Again, there's the question of whether Snorke can emerge from the shadow of just being a Sidious rehash.

I guess ultimately I loved it, but it seemed curiously poor at setting up future films. I'm not sure how far the Kylo-Ren battle can continue without wider implications or a more interesting / wider cast of villans. Nonetheless I'm ovcs gonna watch VIII!

Saw this last night, really enjoyed it (huge Star Wars fan) and certainly infinitely better than the godawful prequels, but it still had some major issues. The entire third act of the film was a total mess. I also hated the 'space' battles. Too much shaky cam, there was no weight to any of the ships. The original trilogy was so clean and precise in that regard. I also didn't like how the Falcon was suddenly this indestructible toy that could survive anything. But overall, fantastic. JJ more or less nailed the look and feel.

Only just got round to seeing it, loved it. A few criticisms but listing them will add nothing new to the thread. I do have a question though about the ending.

Why was Luke's hand like that? Obviously I know why he lost it. Dur. But in ESB, he got a new hand with skin and all. Or have I forgotten something that happened in RotJ?

What looks more badass? A ship that can smash into the surface of a planet without consequence or hyperspace indoors? Just OTT and silly. The stuff you'd find in the prequels, or Star Trek (2009/13)

What looks more badass? A ship that can smash into the surface of a planet without consequence or hyperspace indoors? Just OTT and silly. The stuff you'd find in the prequels, or Star Trek (2009/13)

I was referring to Dog-amoto's post.

I agree with what you're saying though, small things like TIE Fighters and X-Wings, easy to shoot. Giant thing like the Millenium Falcon? Can't hit it for shit.

The bay doors were open it's not like it went into hyperspace inside a space station or anything.

And it crashed into snow and sand. Not rock. (From what I can remember)

It's an old ship but must have been very well built and maintained well too, it just looks like "garbage". It's taken many a beating over the years, these aren't that that bad.

And besides, these moments are meant to make you cringe in a "that doesn't look like it did the ship any good," kind of way.

Only just got round to seeing it, loved it. A few criticisms but listing them will add nothing new to the thread. I do have a question though about the ending.

Why was Luke's hand like that? Obviously I know why he lost it. Dur. But in ESB, he got a new hand with skin and all. Or have I forgotten something that happened in RotJ?

I suppose if he's been living on that planet for 8 years or whatever, he's been living pretty primitively. Maybe all the fake skin got torn off and he couldn't replace it.

I suppose if he's been living on that planet for 8 years or whatever, he's been living pretty primitively. Maybe all the fake skin got torn off and he couldn't replace it.

In Rey's vision (and in the trailer) as he puts his hand on R2 he is also lacking skin. There'll be a reason.

The bay doors were open it's not like it went into hyperspace inside a space station or anything.

And it crashed into snow and sand. Not rock. (From what I can remember)

Fair enough I missed the bay doors being open, but crashing onto ice isn't any better than crashing into rock

Fair enough I missed the bay doors being open, but crashing onto ice isn't any better than crashing into rock

I'm pretty sure it was slowed down by a load of trees and then slow, before gliding onto ice.

Still, ship can take a beating. They don't build them like that anymore.