NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens

I ordered it from Tesco and it came on Saturday, with a free book too!

Already watched it and half of the special features!

Amazon is a great website but I never use them for preorders.

I was considering purchasing it today but I realised how dull the film was. I was actually surprised that they didn't have a midnight launch or that I wasn't harassed by several customers at 6am. In fact someone told me we had sold three copies by 9am.

Apart from it being boring I've held off on investing as I'm just going to wait until the box set comes out. Because you know there will be a new one with each new release, which you'll no doubt be proud of when you look at it on your shelf until the next one comes out a year later:

Episode VII

Episode VII and Rogue One

Episode VIII

Episode VIII and Episode VII

Episode VIII and Episode VII and Rogue One

Having Episode VII and VIII together and then IX separately?! SIGN MY ANUS UP.

And so on, it's like what they did with the Hunger Games. Whoever bought the set that had the first film, second film and the first part of the third film needed their head examining.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

I was considering purchasing it today but I realised how dull the film was. I was actually surprised that they didn't have a midnight launch or that I wasn't harassed by several customers at 6am. In fact someone told me we had sold three copies by 9am.

Apart from it being boring I've held off on investing as I'm just going to wait until the box set comes out. Because you know there will be a new one with each new release, which you'll no doubt be proud of when you look at it on your shelf until the next one comes out a year later:

Episode VII

Episode VII and Rogue One

Episode VIII

Episode VIII and Episode VII

Episode VIII and Episode VII and Rogue One

Having Episode VII and VIII together and then IX separately?! SIGN MY ANUS UP.

And so on, it's like what they did with the Hunger Games. Whoever bought the set that had the first film, second film and the first part of the third film needed their head examining.

Might happen separately with the Star Wars Story films and the Saga films with dual release, I'll probably invest in either a special case or trilogy box set once all is said and done.

But I highly doubt they're going to cross the saga films over with the Star Wars Story films for box sets.

I'll buy it first thing after work when it's released here on Friday. Enjoyed it a lot in the cinema.

Edited by Tales

I'll probably wait for a box set....or ask for it for Christmas. Probably the latter - it's hard finding stuff for family to get me these days.

Still got goosebumps while watching it on Blu-ray even though I saw it twice at the cinema.

On third viewing, just as good as the first time. I appeciated the music and sound effects a lot more, some of the music seemed to get drowned out at the cinema. Rey's theme is fantastic.

Saving the special features for tomorrow and then probably end up watching it again.

Still got goosebumps while watching it on Blu-ray even though I saw it twice at the cinema.

On third viewing, just as good as the first time. I appeciated the music and sound effects a lot more, some of the music seemed to get drowned out at the cinema. Rey's theme is fantastic.

Saving the special features for tomorrow and then probably end up watching it again.

Agreed, a fantastically put together film worthy of many repeat viewings. Many came out originally saying that John Williams had really missed the mark with the score of this film, which has since been falsified by them themselves, and whether or not that's down to the noisy nature of the cinema or the film being that intriguing that you blank out the music, I'm not sure. But the best scores, I think, are the ones which you don't really take in, or even acknowledge - I think that's how you know when it's been put together really well.

Now, quick personal story. I'm 17 now, and I've been watching Star Wars since I was very little. We all have similar stories about how great the franchise is, but I'd just like to share this.

I grew up with the prequels, and yes, as a younger member of the fans I LOVED the films, well, minus AOTC which I didn't see until much later due to an ensemble of reasons. Revenge of the Sith? My bread and butter. These films really pushed a Shakespearean look on literature into my life, and it's really influenced a lot of my writing and speech, as well as the way I act.

But anyhow, I saw the original trilogy, and while being intrigued...meh. I was too young to take them for what they were, and they were the original VHS copies. And yes, I had a film missing this time too - Empire, gosh darn!

So, leading up to The Force Awakens, this was the most hyped I'd ever been for a film, and I even got up at 3am in the morning to watch the final trailer for English-speaking regions, when the trailer was dropping on Monday Night Football over in America. I got really choked up.

Now, I saw this film five times in cinemas alone, and I had never before seen a movie more than once in the cinema (since then, I've added BvS to that list, for a massive list of reasons, but namely Batman and the score. Yeah, let's stay away from that altogether..), so this was a MASSIVE deal for me, and is testament as to how much I loved the film.

In my 16 years 358 days leading up to my opening night viewing (an approximation), I'd never before cried at a movie. Ever. Hachi's Tale? Nope. Titanic? Nope. The Blind Side? Nope. Etc. Etc. Heck, before I was into Star Wars and before I could even speak I watched Toy Story at least twice every day (this rubbed off on my little brother who had the same pre-toddler experience with another Pixar work, Cars, ironically a film we saw the month of his birth), and then Toy Story 2 too? But I didn't shed a tear at Toy Story 3, primed as I was, though that trilogy will always hold a special place in my heart.

I cried five times on my first viewing of The Force Awakens. Lucasfilm logo shined off, no Fox fanfare, 'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...'. The piece KICKED in and damn, I was crying my eyes out, I was euphoric.

Then, later, when Leia met up with Han I cried again, perhaps due to a reflection of my personal life and how it was unfolding and unraveling in a sense.

After that? The scene with Kylo and Han. Yeah, it got me. Real hard.

Then, later still, when Leia hugged Rey - didn't work for everyone, but it did for me. They were the two loneliest people there, I mean, come on!

And then, finally, up the Jedi Steps...damn that music, spine-tingling. I sat there for two or three minutes with a grin from ear to ear, and as soon as we see Luke's back, I'm crying again, so happily. And then the music kicks in again.

BOOM

So yeah, I massively digressed. Sorry about that. But that's something I've rarely shared, it shattered all expectations for me that opening night, and it was the first time I EVER walked out of a screening and wanted to talk right back in to see it all again.

My ranking of Star Wars films goes:

7) Attack of the Clones

6) The Phantom Menace

5) Revenge of the Sith

But, may I add, a very, very small gap between 5 and 4...

4) Return of the Jedi

A massive gap between 4 and my joint 2nd...

2 - A New Hope (and I LOVE this film more and more every time I see it, it constantly switches with my number 2...)

2 - The Force Awakens

1) The Empire Strikes Back

I felt like a child again when watching The Force Awakens for the first time at the cinema and seeing the always welcome, "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."opening words. I was pretty smiling from ear to ear throughout. I think I saw it four times at the cinema which is the most I've seen a film at the cinema for a long, long time.

Personally I don't see an issue with Rey beating Kylo so "easily". He was injured and she seems naturally gifted, whereas he's probably not.

I'm almost certain she'll have issues in the next film with regards to her skills. It may not have only been a natural talent that got her through, but also beginner's luck, stress and multiple other factors.

Or she could just be that good.