NEurope
are1981

Wii U eShop Thread

With Sony shafting PS3 owners by not allowing digital purchases to be carries over from current generation to PS4, how safe do people think WiiU digital purchases are?

Nintendo definitely need applauding for their decision to allow a transfer of Wii stuff, even if the process is a little laborious. I'm really tempted to go all-digital this generation, but I am really worried that I'll end up not being able to transfer this stuff in a few years time.

With Sony shafting PS3 owners by not allowing digital purchases to be carries over from current generation to PS4, how safe do people think WiiU digital purchases are?

Nintendo definitely need applauding for their decision to allow a transfer of Wii stuff, even if the process is a little laborious. I'm really tempted to go all-digital this generation, but I am really worried that I'll end up not being able to transfer this stuff in a few years time.

I'd trust Nintendo much moreso than MS and Sony when it comes to preserving your digital content. Both MS and Sony have cut off support for digital content once before (MS with XBLA/game DLC on the Xbox 1 and Sony with PS3-PS4) and even when they do have some form of BC, it's usually in a very limited manner that gets poorly supported (the Vita still only plays a fraction of the PS1 and PSP games on the PSN store, both of which only comprise a fraction of their consoles' total libraries to begin with!)

Nintendo on the other hand have a 100% track record when it comes to forwards compatibility and also generally place a much greater emphasis on backwards compatibility than the other two console manufacturers. The fact that all of their consoles share a common hardware lineage (Wii U is a super-set of Wii, which is a super-set of the GCN and 3DS includes/utilises the DSi hardware, which includes/utilises the GBA hardware running at double its original clock-rate) also means that their future hardware will continue to be compatible with all of those past generations so long as they have BC with the last generation.

Nintendo is going to be switching to a unified architecture next generation, where the console and the handheld both use the same underlying hardware architecture, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle BC (as you would assume that this means that their next console will feature an ARM chipset). But either way, they'll almost certainly keep support for Wii U/Wii/GCN included in there.

Edited by Dcubed

I do trust Nintendo in this regard. I don't even mind paying a couple of quid for the extra coding (eg. turning Wii Virtual Console games into Wii U ones), as it has to be done.

I really wouldn't moan about Sony or Microsoft over them having no backwards compatibility. Nintendo has done much worse by keeping GameCube compatibility within the Wii U (via the Wii hardware) but not letting us use it. Same goes for GBA games on the 3DS/DSi.

I don't particularly want to pay to have the Xbox 360/PS3 hardware, along with their long list of faults, inside the upcoming generation of consoles. At least with x86 we should be better positioned to have backwards compatibility next generation.

Plus there's a good chance that Sony will transfer digital PS1 licenses across to the PS4 just like they have between the PS3, PSP and Vita. Will they charge us like Nintendo are for upgrading out Virtual Console purchases? Who knows. Personally I'm betting they don't.

So how much do people think Nintendo will charge us for EarthBound? I'm going for £9.99.

Zen Pinball 2 sale this week :-

Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles Pack - €4.99/£3.99 (Ends May 9, €9.99/£7.99)

Marvel Pinball: Original Pack - €4.99/£3.99 (Ends May 9, €9.99/£7.99)

Marvel Pinball: Vengeance & Virtue Pack - €4.99/£3.99 (Ends May 9, €9.99/£7.99)

Fantastic Four Table - €1.49/£1.19 (Ends May 9, €2.99/£2.39)

Captain America Table - €1.49/£1.19 (Ends May 9, €2.99/£2.39)

Civil War Table - €1.49/£1.19 (Ends May 9, €2.99/£2.39)

All great, apart from Civil War - avoid that one! Will be double dipping on tables I already have on 3DS this Thursday.

All great, apart from Civil War - avoid that one! Will be double dipping on tables I already have on 3DS this Thursday.

That's a little annoying... Though I'll definitely sweep all the ones I haven't bought. Haven't played this in ages, too many games, but I'll definitely get back into it.

Desperate for those star wars tables though.

Sweet have enough left in my account for one Pack...will prolly get the Avengers one :D (not that it'll get played much any time soon as I can't yet tear myself away from MH3U....but it'll be nice to have it at the cheaper price for play down the line :))

Sweet have enough left in my account for one Pack...will prolly get the Avengers one :D (not that it'll get played much any time soon as I can't yet tear myself away from MH3U....but it'll be nice to have it at the cheaper price for play down the line :))

Get the Vengeance and Virtue pack as well if you can, then you'll have all the great Marvel tables. :grin: You don't really need the 'Original' pack, as you have half those tables on 3DS already, plus the other two ain't that good according to feedback.

Same. It doesn't look like they will arrive on or by May the 4th, as I had hoped. :sad:

What pack do you recommend Welsh?, will pick up one pack at least at that price.

@flameboy you seen any sign of this?

"Title: For a limited time, get 30% off select digital Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games from Shin'en Multimedia Group

Shin'en is happy to announce a North American sale for all previously released Nintendo eShop titles for 30% off exclusively in the Nintendo eShop. This is a limited time offer from 4/26 to 5/5 so download all of the Shin?en titles now! Visit the Nintendo eShop to download these games and more."

Pinball Arcade gets a PEGI rating

piar.png

Edited by -Dem0-

What pack do you recommend Welsh?, will pick up one pack at least at that price.

The Avengers Chronicles Pack is perfect for both beginners and experts. There's plenty of variety and two of them are pretty easy to keep the ball going on and rack up a good score.

The Vengeance and Virtue pack is a bit more tough, but again all four tables are great, but they can take some time to get used too.

The standalone Captain America and Fantastic Four are also worth buying, they include a lot of fun missions.

Good news then,

Zen Pinball 2 has been available on the Wii U for a good while now, but eager fans will have noticed the absence of the most recent high profile tables to grace rival platforms — those from the Star Wars franchise. The offering on Wii U has a good range, but it's seemed like another piece of DLC that's been left out on Nintendo's system.

Thankfully, it does look as if this is an example of a delay rather than a permanent exclusion of Wii U, with Zen Studios answering a fan on Twitter to confirm that the popular tables are being developed for the Wii U eShop, along with fixes to some other issues.

Link: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/04/zen_studios_working_on_star_wars_tables_for_zen_pinball_2_on_wii_u

How is that good news, we all knew they were coming. But why are they so stupidly, infuriatingly late? Just constant practice driving sales away from the wii u

How is that good news, we all knew they were coming. But why are they so stupidly, infuriatingly late? Just constant practice driving sales away from the wii u

Better late than never. Patience young Padawan.

Tengami Coming to the Wii U eShop

Nyamyam Statement:

"Last year we asked on Twitter whether you would like to see Tengami on the Wii U. The response was so overwhelmingly positive that we began the process of bringing Tengami on the Wii U to life. It is with great pleasure that I can finally announce Nyamyam is now an authorized Nintendo developer. On top of that Wii U dev kits arrived this morning and we are thrilled to be starting development soon.

Our sincerest gratitude goes out to everyone who encouraged us to pursue Tengami on the Wii U. It is because of your support that Tengami is coming to the Wii U. Thank you!"

Nintendolife's interview with Nyamyam's Jennifer Schneidereit and Phil Tossell:

Nintendo Life: It's obviously very early days, but what's it been like working with Nintendo so far?

Jennifer Schneidereit: It has actually been very easy to work with Nintendo. Everyone has been friendly and supportive. Initially we had a little bit of a hiccup becoming authorized developers because our offices were not secure enough, but our contacts at Nintendo offered us good advice and we were quickly able to sort the issue.

NL: Do you think Nintendo's attitude towards indies has changed since the launch of the Wii U?

JS: From what I can tell Nintendo are trying to be supportive of indies and trying to make sure that more and more independent developers get the chance to develop for the Wii U. For example, at PAX East and GDC this year I ran into Nintendo representatives at various events aimed at independent developers. You can tell they are definitely reaching out to the community.

NL: What makes Tengami such a good fit for the Wii U?

Phil Tossell: The fact that Tengami was conceived with touch in mind makes it perfect fit for the Wii U GamePad. We think there are some unique features the Wii U has that we can take advantage of to make the game even better.

NL: Obviously the iPad version remains your priority for now, but when can we expect to see the Wii U version of Tengami?

JS: At the moment it is all hands on deck to finish Tengami on iOS. We hope to bring Tengami to Wii U in early 2014.

NL: Given your backgrounds as Rare developers, does this feel like a sort of homecoming for you, being back on Nintendo hardware?

PT: Definitely. I have fond and nostalgic memories of the years I spent working on Nintendo consoles at Rare. I never imagined I would have the opportunity to work with Nintendo again so soon after starting Nyamyam. It's very exciting.

NL: Do you have any ideas for future projects, which could perhaps leverage the capabilities of the Wii U hardware?

JS: I am very intrigued by the possibilities for new types of multiplayer games the Wii U could deliver. It is something I would like to think about in more depth after we have finished Tengami.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/04/exclusive_tengami_confirmed_for_wii_u_release

Trailer

Looks lovely. Will be keeping an eye on this for sure.

Better late than never. Patience young Padawan.

Just frustrates me they're available on other consoles but not wii u. I must have patience because I could have downlaoded them, cross play included for PS3 and Vita... Hopefully not too far away though!

Meh week for Wii U...

Nintendo eShop (Wii U)

Solomon's Key (TECMO KOEI, NES VC) - €4.99/£3.49

To save his world from demons, Dana the Wizard goes on a dangerous quest to find Solomon's Key and seal the monsters away. An audacious mix of action game and puzzler, Solomon's Key was one of the toughest challenges on the NES, but also one of its most endearing adventures. Combine logic and reflexes to unravel the mysteries of each room. Bright minds are needed to unlock its secrets, and only a few have been deemed worthy of seeing all the different endings. Will you be clever enough?

This is the US version of the game.

Xevious (Namco Bandai, NES VC) - €4.99/£3.49

Take control of your Solvalou fighter and strike deep behind enemy lines to destroy the Xevious forces! Use missiles against airborne enemies and bombs against ground-based targets, and watch out for the colossal floating fortress. Xevious is considered one of the forefathers of the vertical-scrolling shooter genre. Featuring unique enemies, a variety of environments and many hidden gameplay features, it's an all-time classic that still gets the pulse racing!

This is the US version of the game.

Special offers

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (Tecmo Koei) - €49.99/£39.99 (Originally €59.99/£49.99, Permanent)

Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules) - €5.99/£5.39 (Ends May 16, normally €11.99/£10.79)

Wii Shop Channel

World Heroes 2 Jet (D4 Enterprise, NeoGeo VC) - 900 Points

World Heroes 2 Jet, initially released in 1994, is the 3rd in the prolific fighting game series. Choose from 16 historical or well-known heroes, villains and fighters and battle your way to the top to become the world's greatest warrior! There are two types of modes in this version, "Tournament of Titans Mode", where you fight three bouts in one day, and if you are successful you move on to the next day, and "World Heroes Training Mode", where you can fight with any opponent. Furthermore, the addition of dash and back step, which were not in the previous version, as well as a countering system that ushers in a more speedy way of fighting, makes World Heroes 2 Jet even more enjoyable to play. There are also four competition types to choose from, allowing for even more in-depth battles.

At least there the US versions I guess :blank: Nice to see that the NeoGeo Wii VC games are still coming though (hopefully there's still a chance for us to get Twinkle Star Sprites and Money Idol Exchanger! :))

Isn't Xevious one of the 3D classics on the 3DS.... I'm not buying anything I have on the 3DS already until they proper link the accounts and allow you to have them on teh Wii U at discounted prices (pay to get Wii U features I guess)... if and when (better happen Nintendo) they do this it had better include the 3D Classics AND the free Ambassador games

Solomon's Key is one of my favourite games on the NES, it's fantastic. Xevious too is great, if f-ing difficult

Yeah have Xevious 3d rematser on the 3DS. Never played Solomons Key, I'll whack that on my wish list.

Looks like 2 a week it is then. I guess, although it's not great. 2 virtual classic games every single week isn't disastrous. Just wish there were some more SNES games

Also is Nano Assault an eShop game? I thought it was a retail release?

Have to say I think Cloudberry Kingdom looks pretty terrible.

It's like it's trying to be the likes of Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV etc... except there's nothing nice about it visually, and it just looks like it could just be really really frustrating, instead of challenging.

Nano Assault on 3DS (that's the one you're thinking of) was a retail release in the US and Japan, but got a worldwide enhanced eShop re-release with extra content & better graphics in the form of Nano Assault EX. Nano Assault Neo is a Wii U eShop only sequel to the 3DS game.

Oh and I agree with you about Cloudberry Kingdom. Don't like the look of it at all.

Edited by Dcubed

Nano Assault Neo should be about £5. I'm not one to normally complain about pricing but the amount of content in that game is really poor for the price it's being sold at. 1 or 2 hours play time and that's it.

Nano Assault Neo should be about £5. I'm not one to normally complain about pricing but the amount of content in that game is really poor for the price it's being sold at. 1 or 2 hours play time and that's it.

It's the type of game that you play over and over again for high scores though. Nobody complains about Super Mario Bros, Sonic 1, Contra or R-Type for being short, because they're designed to be short, sweet and replayable...