NEurope
are1981

Wii U eShop Thread

Oh hey. Couple of Qs about the Wii U VC...

Is there an option to disable the Restore Points feature like on 3DS?

Can you use multiple controllers while the game is played off TV? (for playing multiplayer using multiple controllers on the Gamepad screen alone)

Is the game displayed on both screens simultaneously?

I compared Balloon Fight on the 3DS with the Wii U gamepad and the difference is practically night and day. It looks pixel-sharp and pops with vivid colours on the 3DS and runs at true speed, whereas on the gamepad it looks like a muddy, slow shadow of itself.

Some people may not be bothered by it, but as soon as you play the 60Hz original you think "wow so THIS is how the game is supposed to be". I remember the first time I played Sonic the Hedgehog at proper speed. Once done it's tough going back!

Hopefully an option will be added in an update. I'm going to badger NoE :)

I compared Balloon Fight on the 3DS with the Wii U gamepad and the difference is practically night and day. It looks pixel-sharp and pops with vivid colours on the 3DS and runs at true speed, whereas on the gamepad it looks like a muddy, slow shadow of itself.

Some people may not be bothered by it, but as soon as you play the 60Hz original you think "wow so THIS is how the game is supposed to be". I remember the first time I played Sonic the Hedgehog at proper speed. Once done it's tough going back!

Hopefully an option will be added in an update. I'm going to badger NoE :)

Yup. It's particularly bad with NES and Mega Drive games since their sound chips were directly tied to the screen refresh rate (meaning that the EU versions of games had slowed down music ON TOP OF the slower gameplay and massive borders :( )

I dumped PAL completely back in 2006 and replaced my entire retro game collection with NTSC versions. There is no way in hell that I'm going back!

Oh hey. Couple of Qs about the Wii U VC...

Is there an option to disable the Restore Points feature like on 3DS?

Doesn't look like it, no.

There's an option to do that on 3DS? :blank:

Can you use multiple controllers while the game is played off TV? (for playing multiplayer using multiple controllers on the Gamepad screen alone)
Yes.

The controls for player 1 remain active on the GamePad too.

Is the game displayed on both screens simultaneously?
Yes.

But you can disable the GamePad screen by clicking the R analog while closing the VC menu.

Cheers!

BTW, you disable the Restore Points feature on 3DS by pressing Start/Select, R and X simultaneously (making it exactly like the Wii VC - where you get Suspend Saves when you quit and that's it)

Pressing it again reactivates the Restore Points feature :)

I don't like to cheat :p

I'm a bit annoyed that they expect us to pay over 1/3 of the price for games we've already bought. I understand that they've had to create a new emulator to run the games but I think that they're asking too much and will look a bit silly if Microsoft have a free solution to play previously purchased XBLA games on their next console (though I don't think that's a dead cert if they're moving from a PowerPC based solution to x86).

Also not impressed by using the 50hz versions of the games. Though, apart from the technical reasoning, I wonder if they purposely used them so that people would be playing games how they would remember them. Even if it's not the way they were meant to be played.

Neither will stop me from rebuying Super Metroid again though :(

Edit:

And I'm annoyed at them seeming to do $1 == €1 == £1.

Edited by V. Amoleo

The whole 50hz thing is an example of Nintendo again being in their own bubble thinking that 50hz or 60hz doesn’t matter to people.

It doesn’t matter if the majority of people don’t really mind as it should simply be about providing the best experience for everyone. Games not running at 60hz shouldn’t even be debated and it should have been standard procedure with the Wii VC and should be with the Wii U VC.

If the games have no option for 60hz then I’m out. No way I’m paying for inferior games to what those in NTSC regions get.

Wait, there are Restore Points on the Wii U VC? Thought it was just suspend point.

Taken from a post on neogaf

I got a reply from Nitendo's CS:

Gentile cliente,

desideriamo comunicarle che il motivo è dovuto al fatto che si vuole renderlo il più possibile uguale all'originale.

Cordiali saluti,

Luciano

Servizio Clienti Nintendo

Which Basically translates to:

''Dear costumer,

the reason [for Wii U's Balloon Fight running at 50Hz] is that we wanted the experience to be as close to the original as possible.''

That's one weak excuse!!!

saw this on Neogaf about the 50hz thing:

DZko9XC.jpg

Hopefully someone at NoE will pick up on it for future releases.

Taken from a post on neogaf

That's one weak excuse!!!

Same reason they gave for the Wii VC games running at 50hz

What is there now a wii u virtual console!!? Have i missed something? What games are on it? Where do i access it??

saw this on Neogaf about the 50hz thing:

DZko9XC.jpg

Hopefully someone at NoE will pick up on it for future releases.

You would think they would. If they ignore it then it shows they really dont care but I wouldnt be shocked if nothing was changed as the Wii VC was 50hz and nintendo had no problem with that.

What is there now a wii u virtual console!!? Have i missed something? What games are on it? Where do i access it??

Just on the eShop, only Balloon Fight is available so far, they are releasing a promotion releasing a new game every month for 30p until the full launch of the Virtual Console which is due around "Spring" if I remember right.

Edit: Just noticed Balloon Fight is listed under the Nintendo 3DS section with the purchase button greyed out (because I bought it, obviously), so does this mean that once the unify the accounts purchases they are planning to have them be playable on both?

Edited by Ike

Edit: Just noticed Balloon Fight is listed under the Nintendo 3DS section with the purchase button greyed out (because I bought it, obviously), so does this mean that once the unify the accounts purchases they are planning to have them be playable on both?

Might just be because Balloon Fight is already on the 3DS eShop.... that is to say it was one of the free Ambassador games early owners got when they reduced the price.

Though would be nice if they did unify stuff up (at last)

What's wrong with an OPTION?? ::shrug: So if you're the type of person who gets all misty-eyed about transistor radios, rationing, Spam and internet dial-up tones you can have your 50Hz gimp-o-vision, but if you want the real ORIGINAL then that's there too.

The only way NoE will get up to speed on this is if we let them know we won't be buying/'upgrading'.

The thing that boggles the mind is that there must be no-one (significant) among their ranks who actually cares about quality. :cry:

What's wrong with an OPTION?? ::shrug: So if you're the type of person who gets all misty-eyed about transistor radios, rationing, Spam and internet dial-up tones you can have your 50Hz gimp-o-vision, but if you want the real ORIGINAL then that's there too.

The only way NoE will get up to speed on this is if we let them know we won't be buying/'upgrading'.

The thing that boggles the mind is that there must be no-one (significant) among their ranks who actually cares about quality. :cry:

This whole thing will likely be ignored by Nintendo. It sux

After saying I wouldnt buy any eshop content until there was a proper account system I went and bough The Cave, Nano Assault and Mighty Switch Force lol.

Damn Nano Assault was such a small file, fucking wizards at Shin'en.

Zen Pinball 2 coming to the Wii U eShop along with an Arkham City retail download... that's it for the Wii U this week.

Zen Pinball 2 coming to the Wii U eShop along with an Arkham City retail download... that's it for the Wii U this week.

Got zen pinball on 3ds but will most likely get this just to have something new to play.

Zen Pinball 2 DLC (Zen Studios) Upcoming (01/31)

Zen Classic Pack featuring Tesla, El Dorado, V12 and Shaman (€9.99 | £7.99)

Marvel Pinball featuring Spider-Man, Wolverine, Blade and Iron Man (€9.99 | £7.99)

Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles featuring Marvel’s The Avengers, Infinity Gauntlet, World War Hulk, and Fear Itself (€9.99 | £7.99)

Marvel Pinball: Vengeance and Virtue featuring X-Men, Thor, Ghost Rider and Moon Knight (€9.99 | £7.99)

Excalibur (€2.99 | £2.39)

Earth Defense (€2.99 | £2.39)

Sorcerer's Lair (€2.99 | £2.39)

Paranormal (€2.99 | £2.39)

Mars (€2.99 | £2.39)

Epic Quest (€2.99 | £2.39)

Plants vs. Zombies (€2.99 | £2.39)

Fantastic Four (€2.99 | £2.39)

Captain America (€2.99 | £2.39)

Edit. £7.99 for four tables. Too expensive!! Should be £5.99 for the block.

Edited by liger05

Until Zen Pinball comes with new tables I won't be playing this on Wii U.

These tables are old and have been played loads on my 3DS.

Also free apps with micro-payments sucks..

I think free apps with micro payments CAN work, this being one of them. I don't understand the problem. I can't wait for this. Also, there are loads of tables here which aren't on the 3DS.

I'll get it in and get loads of tables I reckon, love these games!

I just think this is one of those games that really suit off-screen play, in fact I'm really looking forward to playing this on the GamePad alone. Should be great.

Would love to download these, but would rather have them on my 3DS. Will wait a while to see if the 3DS DLC will appear soon...