NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (March 22nd)

Played a good session on the 3DS last night, and played through a number of the weapons. The sword and shield is responsive, so I liked that, couldn't quite get to grips with the hammer, but that is inexperience. My absolute favourite was the bow. Was rocking that and after 5 minutes felt like I was aiming like a pro. If I buy the full game, on Wii U only, I will start off with the bow. Can see how this is slower to take down an enemy though.

Played a good session on the 3DS last night, and played through a number of the weapons. The sword and shield is responsive, so I liked that, couldn't quite get to grips with the hammer, but that is inexperience. My absolute favourite was the bow. Was rocking that and after 5 minutes felt like I was aiming like a pro. If I buy the full game, on Wii U only, I will start off with the bow. Can see how this is slower to take down an enemy though.
The hammer is one of the weapon types that took me ages to get to grips with on Tri, It's great when it finally clicks though. :) Successfully landing a perfectly timed/placed bash on a monsters noggin is super satisfying! Especially if that hit makes the monster dizzy, or causes a part to break off. :D

I've only had a brief go with the Bow on the demo, but it didn't go well. :heh:

The Bowgun was also the last weapon that I "got" on Tri though, so I'm expecting a similar learning process with the Bow.

The projectile weapon types are definitely better suited to multiplayer I reckon. Being able to inflict status effects on a monster from a distance, or even heal fellow hunters is seriously cool. :awesome:

The easiest weapon (twin swords) is the one that works well for me, mainly because it kind of controls like Phantasy Star Online 2 with the dash for a dodge. I'm probably going to take a stab at the ranged weapon next, because that's always been where my strength lies but I'm yet to see how it controls.

How about you? I'm kind of curious about the slower weapons, because it's good practice for dodge timing.

I'm currently just trying out whatever. Having started to get to grips with the underwater controls, I definitely think the second analog stick on the 3DS would work wonders. Can't be doing with all that fiddly d-pad adjustment. The L-targeting helps, but it doesn't provide as much freedom of movement as I'd like.

I quite like the massive sword with the block ability, as well as the switch-axe. I'll probably just try with sword and shield at the moment to get the hang of things - maybe even take the Wii version for a spin to get a better feel for the actual game. The time limit in the demo doesn't really allow for much strategy for a new player, it's just a case of getting in there and smashing away/dodging when possible.

Just wanna get the "hang" of it so I can enjoy playing. It's an extremely rewarding concept.

Switchaxe>>Sword N' Shield>>Hammer>>Great Sword>Longsword>>Lance>>>>Bowgun.

At least that's my order of preference in the original Tri. That being said, I love using the Dual Swords and the Hunting horn in MHFU, so I'm really looking forward to trying them out in MH3U! :D

Switchaxe>>Sword N' Shield>>Hammer>>Great Sword>Longsword>>Lance>>>>Bowgun.

At least that's my order of preference in the original Tri. That being said, I love using the Dual Swords and the Hunting horn in MHFU, so I'm really looking forward to trying them out in MH3U! :D

Why so low on the LS? I love that weapon, it's such a beast! Plus, you get to trip everyone up with it. :yay:

Just tried the Wii U Demo and loved it :D

Tried the switch axe first of course :D

Not tried anything else yet just gave it the one go.

Not suprisingly the controls were teh same as the 3DS so that is handy for if/when I get both.

Little disappointed the Wiimote isn't an option though. Does anyone know if it is on teh Japanese full version?

I like the use of teh touch screen though I hope there are some changes in teh full version.

Like the option to get map to display on the Gamepad and take it off the TV HUD.

Would also be nice for when using the touch screen for using Items if the item screen doesn't close once you use an item. Sometimes you need to use multiple items would be nice to be able to just touch them on teh Gamepad instead of having to cycle through them on the TV or having to reopen the Item screen on the Gamepad after using an item

(again does anyone know if it might be like this in the full version from the Japanese game?)

A bit upset too that you can't access the equipment screen in game too. I wanted to see what armour each hunter was wearing.

Anyone know what helmet the Switch Axe hunter is using? Must be a new one (duh), rest of the armour seems to be Helios as is the SA

Also what is with giving 2 water type monsters in the demo and having most of the weapons be Ice or Water element too :p

Still haven't tried the Plessy.... was about to but then kids started gettin in teh way. Will give it a go later after dinner.

Also what is with giving 2 water type monsters in the demo and having most of the weapons be Ice or Water element too :p
Ice and water monsters you mean. :geek:

But yeah, I guess Capcom didn't want to make newcomers comfortable at all.

Otherwise they'd surely have gone with a fire element SnS and a monster like Great Jaggi. :hehe:

Played this on the Wii last night. There's no real easy way to say this, but the 3DS version feels extremely confined in comparison.

Can't wait till this is released, and if it's addictive like Tri, then it'll probably will be in my U for months to come! Looking forward to doing quests with you lot as well.

^Me too, I've gone and done it. Now I have too many games to play in March and beyond, and that's not even counting Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS.

A bit of a beginners question but does it have voice chat in this game? If so would I have to get some kind of headset and where can I get one fairly cheap?

This just in from the Monster Hunter Twitter and FB page:

We are pleased to announce that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate will receive a software update that will allow cross region online multiplayer between European and US players.

This update will also let you play the game on the Wii U GamePad without the need for a TV screen.

We're also happy to announce that we will frequently release free downloadable quests from launch.

Yes, yes, and yes!

Way to kill off interest in the 3DS version, Capcom. :P

It's all good stuff though.

Downloadable quests mean playable offline then and not just new online quest?

Does this mean the Wii U isn't doomed anymore? Or is it still 33% doomed because the Japanese can't play with Europeans and Americans???

Does this mean the Wii U isn't doomed anymore? Or is it still 33% doomed because the Japanese can't play with Europeans and Americans???

Still doomed because they aren't giving you money to play

Where BS=number of online players / (horseshit*dogshit)

N=BS°64√Wii = Nope, still doomed!

Yes, yes, and yes!

That is AWESOME!! :yay:

Yes, yes, and yes!

This game keeps on giving and it hasn't even been released yet! :yay:

Just need to allow pictures to be posted on Miiverse and it will be perfect.

Only WiiMote support left to be added. If they can add off-tv, then they should be able to tack on WiiMote controls with that same off-tv interface.

Holy cow! I was typing this exact post word for word :o

Now THIS is how you support a game! :D

Now if they'd just add native online play support for the 3DS version...

Are there rumours that you can't post pictures?!

Btw, are you guys buying the disc or download version (Wii U)? I wonder how big the DL is...

Are there rumours that you can't post pictures?!
No rumours, it's (unfortunately) a fact.

Take a look at the Japanese Miiverse community for the game.

Btw, are you guys buying the disc or download version (Wii U)? I wonder how big the DL is...
Disc version for me.

I won't be downloading any retail games from the eShop (Wii U or 3DS) unless Nintendo sort the pricing out. :nono: