NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Wii U

Starry Speedway looks like Rainbow Road meets F-Zero GX:

I wish Ristar was a playable racer rather than just the flag waver, but it still warms the cockles of my heart that he's in here at all :love:

http://uk.gamespot.com/sonic-and-all-stars-racing-transformed/reviews/sonic-and-all-stars-racing-transformed-review-6400443/

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is far from a poor man's Mario Kart. Fun track design, a solid character roster, and a bevy of multiplayer modes could have made this one of the best games of its class--but there are big problems with the Wii U version that significantly hinder it.

As of the game's launch, Boost Race events are broken to the point where they are impossible to complete. These events require you to boost as often as possible through a set number of checkpoints, but on the Wii U, these races are missing checkpoints altogether. You can skip these events and move forward by failing on the easiest difficulty multiple times and choosing "skip," but it's a frustrating complication that prevents 100 percent completion of the game. It seems a day-one game patch is responsible for this bug, since it didn't appear before the Wii U's online service was on, but the game will patch automatically if your system is online, which may leave you with a broken experience.

On most others, players spawn practically on top of each other, which is a particular problem in the Wii U's inclusive "party" modes, in which the GamePad player wins every time by default. Only one stage, Creepy Courtyard, spawns players in correctly, but even that stage won't work for the exclusive Super Monkey Ball mode, which never spawns the bananas that non-GamePad players are supposed to collect.

If it weren't for these problems, the Wii U version of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed would be as good as, if not better than, the other versions. The game can be played entirely on the GamePad screen (though the ability to do so by swiping down on the touch screen isn't even mentioned in the manual), and the fundamental mechanics of the game are sound. Normally, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is a joy to both play and look at. It's just unfortunate that this version is so broken. If it were fixed, it would be a wonderful choice for kart racing fans looking for ways to enjoy their new Wii U.

Yeah I was gonna say, surely this just sounds like something that can be fixed!

I'm gonna wait and here a few more impressions though before deciding whether to go with the Wii U or PS3 version.

I'd rather go Wii U (although technically that version of the game will cost me £300 instead of £25, as I need to buy the console :p).

Ristar, Toejam and Earl and Blaze Fielding for me! Phantom R and Vectorman would be nice too.

The results are pretty meh so far - I think the top 3 are Segata Sanshiro (stupid character from tv ads), Hatsune Miku (hideously manufactured karaoke 'diva') and Ryo Hazuki (returning character from the first game). Very Japan-centric. If Ristar and Vectorman get over 1000 votes, which looks likely, they may creep in at a later point. Would be nice if the Wii U got Bayonetta as an exclusive.

I assumed Ryo Hazuki was already in it until I read that list!

Come on the Chu Chus (Chu Chu Rocket) look great in this game! :D

(Is this a screen shot from the first game? or just a great concept)

PBWyCCmwotxaiiF-556x313-noPad.jpg

Billy Hatcher would also be great!

Wasn't he in the first game too? Why are they removing characters and not just adding more for the sequel?

Okay, that's enough, absolutely convinced by this game now and hopefully the patch comes quick! Excellent!

Ryo Hazuki please

why is he not in the game to start off with :S

It's so SEGA can charge you extra for content they removed, and then laugh maniacally.

Hmm, I'd probably vote for Alis Landale and Chu Chu (Chu Chu Mania!). Undecided on my third vote. Not that any of them would win :(

Segata Sanshiro (stupid character from tv ads)

Me and you aren't going to get along very well D:

Do you regret reading the spoiler? Is it as bad as my spoiler in the new New Super Mario Bros thread? Again, sorry about that.

Not at all. It's a new character, so click if you want to find out who it is.

Surprise Christmas gift!
Alex-Kidd-in-SASRT-002.jpg

Some more pictures via the link:

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2012/11/spoiler-christmas-unlockable-found-in-sasr-transformed/

Check a few posts up. :D

Kotaku's review is up (not Wii U specific details unfortunately) but they complained that it was too hard.

The patch has been confirmed to be working by Sega and its been sent to Nintendo. Hopefully they will get it out before the Euro launch.

If they call the game bland, then that should surely mean it's the game and not the format it's on. I have the PS3 version and adore it. Improved on the first game which I really liked, you'll love it I'm sure.

If they call the game bland, then that should surely mean it's the game and not the format it's on. I have the PS3 version and adore it. Improved on the first game which I really liked, you'll love it I'm sure.

Good to hear from someone who has the game!

I also loved the first so it's great to hear it's improved over that!

Thanks Emerald!

The patch has been confirmed to be working by Sega and its been sent to Nintendo. Hopefully they will get it out before the Euro launch.

I'd say that it's pretty likely that this is what they're shooting for. Here's hoping!

Me and you aren't going to get along very well D:

This comes down to sheer ignorance on my part! Despite treasuring the Saturn I was never aware of those Japanese ads until very recently :blush:

Check a few posts up. :D

Now check a few posts above that ;)

This comes down to sheer ignorance on my part! Despite treasuring the Saturn I was never aware of those Japanese ads until very recently :blush:

Me and you might get a long very well..