NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Wii U

I've come to expect nothing of Nintendo's online efforts, despite their bullshit of changing for Wii U. If they had have really changed that much, we'd be able to play NSMBU online. Heck, the fact that the Wii version wasn't online was ridiculous in my eyes.

But on topic, a lack of voice chat really is a shame and probably a sign of things to come. I was under the impression that this time Nintendo were doing all they could to make things easier for developers. I would like to think it's because of being a launch title though.

I've come to expect nothing of Nintendo's online efforts, despite their bullshit of changing for Wii U. If they had have really changed that much, we'd be able to play NSMBU online. Heck, the fact that the Wii version wasn't online was ridiculous in my eyes.

But on topic, a lack of voice chat really is a shame and probably a sign of things to come. I was under the impression that this time Nintendo were doing all they could to make things easier for developers. I would like to think it's because of being a launch title though.

I'd like to think so too but besides the fact that most of the Wii U launch games are cheap ass ports that we have to pay extra for and that nothing new or significant has been added for this privilege. Yes on top of that, they're pretty much all gimped in some way:

Black Op 2, no Elite mode,

All-Star Racing, no voice chat,

FIFA 13, really is FIFA 12, missing features,

Mass Effect 3, available as a Trilogy elsewhere for cheaper,

Monster Hunter 3, port of a port of a port.

I'd like to think so too but besides the fact that most of the Wii U launch games are cheap ass ports that we have to pay extra for and that nothing new or significant has been added for this privilege. Yes on top of that, they're pretty much all gimped in some way:

Black Op 2, no Elite mode,

All-Star Racing, no voice chat,

FIFA 13, really is FIFA 12, missing features,

Mass Effect 3, available as a Trilogy elsewhere for cheaper,

Monster Hunter 3, port of a port of a port.

Oh come on. I'm as pissed off as anyone about some of the news coming out. But you're being negative for the sake of being negative. To prove your point of them "being all gimped in some way" you pick out the worst cases. Wy didn't you mention the 3rd party games which aren't? Assassins creed 3 for eg. Also you don't take into account the benefits of the wii u

Black ops 2 - ability to play solely on the tablet, multiple control schemes, local multiplayer using the screen, basic but useful tablet uses

All star racing- exclusive multiplayer models, inventive tablet use, ability to play on the tablet

FIFA 13 - extensive use of the tablet, new manager mode

Mass effect 3 - all dlc and brand new weapon, ability to play on the pad, basic but very useful tablet features

Monster hunter 3 - hd version of a great game. Over twice extra content.

You're like a really bad journalist twisting every story to suit your agenda.

The wii u has a lot of crap attributes. It has a lot of ports. It has some irritating omissions. But have some balance to your arguments as you really do appear like you're just outright bashing.

@dazzybee I am balanced and fair. I call it as I see it. With the Wii launch and beyond I wasn't a fan of Ubisoft, especially their Petz games and their constant shovelware. However with the Wii U they deserve plenty of praise. ZombiU and Rayman Legends are some very rare quality 3rd party games. What's more they're exclusive, non ports and use the features of the gamepad extensively. Rayman Legends was delayed, they could've just put it out there and not cared about the quality of the final product and just released it but they're doing it right. Suffice to say, their effort is greater than Nintendos. That says a lot.

PC Black Ops 2 doesnt have Elite either so that doesnt count.

Is it running at 1080p native or is it upscaled from 720p to 1080p? Does that count?

Maybe we could actually get back on track here as this thread has suffered from a rather heavy de-railing... :blank:

I'll be buying this for the Wii U on day 1... why? Because I honestly believe that this will be the best version of the game, forget about whether it supports voice chat or not as it really doesn't matter and is an issue that Nintendo will sort out via a firmware update; when it comes to the actual game the Wii U version surely has the edge.

Forget which screen resolution it runs in because as we've seen from the videos it looks just as fun, frantic and fast-paced as the original but this time even more-so thanks to the vehicle changing dynamic, sure the Wii U version may not have a huge amount of exclusive stuff but being able to play it on the pad, independent of the TV should be enough for day 1.

Plus we all know that Sonic games are a much better fit on Nintendo consoles anyway so a Sega racing game featuring said mascot should be a no-brainer ;) the price may be slightly hiked but the box-art is that much better and if this is the price of supporting the Wii U on launch day then I'm prepared to pay it and will gladly race any of you online who will be getting it... the chat room works well enough for Mario Kart after all. :p

@dazzybee I am balanced and fair. I call it as I see it. With the Wii launch and beyond I wasn't a fan of Ubisoft, especially their Petz games and their constant shovelware. However with the Wii U they deserve plenty of praise. ZombiU and Rayman Legends are some very rare quality 3rd party games. What's more they're exclusive, non ports and use the features of the gamepad extensively. Rayman Legends was delayed, they could've just put it out there and not cared about the quality of the final product and just released it but they're doing it right. Suffice to say, their effort is greater than Nintendos. That says a lot.

I absolutely agree with you here. Ubisoft are looking to be doing a great job (though they do have the obligatory shovelware too) - Zombi U and Rayman are easily two of the most exciting games on the wii u, hope they both live up to it.

I would say that's pretty harsh on Nintendoland though. It may not be the game hardcore gamers truly desire, but for what it is it looks like a lot of effort has been put it into it, and it's got great uses of the gamepad too.

New Super Mario Bros on the other hand... I'm bored with the series, but due to the lack of creatovoty in level design, visual style and bosses. If NSMB U has all this (which it easily could) it could be one of my greatest games of the year. It's just highly unlikely!

Maybe we could actually get back on track here as this thread has suffered from a rather heavy de-railing... :blank:

I'll be buying this for the Wii U on day 1... why? Because I honestly believe that this will be the best version of the game, forget about whether it supports voice chat or not as it really doesn't matter and is an issue that Nintendo will sort out via a firmware update; when it comes to the actual game the Wii U version surely has the edge.

Forget which screen resolution it runs in because as we've seen from the videos it looks just as fun, frantic and fast-paced as the original but this time even more-so thanks to the vehicle changing dynamic, sure the Wii U version may not have a huge amount of exclusive stuff but being able to play it on the pad, independent of the TV should be enough for day 1.

Plus we all know that Sonic games are a much better fit on Nintendo consoles anyway so a Sega racing game featuring said mascot should be a no-brainer ;) the price may be slightly hiked but the box-art is that much better and if this is the price of supporting the Wii U on launch day then I'm prepared to pay it and will gladly race any of you online who will be getting it... the chat room works well enough for Mario Kart after all. :p

Great post!

I'm very tempted by this too. Especially as my brother and nephews would love it, nice stop gap before Mario Kart comes out :) I'm waiting on reviews though; the previews have been pretty damning, and though they've been promising they'll fix the issues, I'm sceptical.

Great post!

I'm very tempted by this too. Especially as my brother and nephews would love it, nice stop gap before Mario Kart comes out :) I'm waiting on reviews though; the previews have been pretty damning, and though they've been promising they'll fix the issues, I'm sceptical.

I should be covering the review for n-europe :) depending on if ShopTo manage to get me my console early I may have a review of it ready not too long after launch.

What are the issues stated in previews though as I don't seem to recall any.

Massive frame rate issues! Pretty much every hands on I've read has brought it up.

Mass effect 3 - all dlc and brand new weapon, ability to play on the pad, basic but very useful tablet features

It includes:

- From Ashes DLC (was free with the Collector's Edition, otherwise less than £7)

- Extended Cut DLC (free for all versions)

- Multiplayer DLC (free for all versions)

- Exclusive Gun

It doesn't include the Leviathan DLC or the upcoming Omega DLC. There's also no mention of the various pre-order guns and armour.

For you maybe, but it certainly does for me.

I should be covering the review for n-europe :) depending on if ShopTo manage to get me my console early I may have a review of it ready not too long after launch.

What are the issues stated in previews though as I don't seem to recall any.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Wii U gameplay - Framerate woes drift in.

http://www.gamesradar.com/sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-wii-u-gameplay-framerate-woes-drift/

On the other hand developer Sumo Digital claim these issues have been fixed.

Sonic Racing Transformed Frame Rate Issues Have Been Solved

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/09/sonic_racing_transformed_frame_rate_issues_have_been_solved

They would say that though. Seeing is believing. History has shown that Sega games with frame rate issues this close to launch rarely if ever get fixed in time. So what do you think,do you believe them?

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Wii U gameplay - Framerate woes drift in.

http://www.gamesradar.com/sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-wii-u-gameplay-framerate-woes-drift/

On the other hand developer Sumo Digital claim these issues have been fixed.

Sonic Racing Transformed Frame Rate Issues Have Been Solved

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/09/sonic_racing_transformed_frame_rate_issues_have_been_solved

They would say that though. Seeing is believing. History has shown that Sega games with frame rate issues this close to launch rarely if ever get fixed in time. So what do you think,do you believe them?

I see no reason why not to believe them, that article is from the middle of September and then you have to factor in how old that demo might be. They could of easily sorted it out by now.

For you maybe, but it certainly does for me.

I understand the importance of having the feature - as I've stated before elsewhere - but I'm not going to let the fact that it isn't there on day one stop me from buying and enjoying it on the Wii U.

Personally I own hundreds of games on the Xbox 360 - I realise that you have played many more than me - including the original Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing so yes I know I could buy the Xbox 360 version of this to enjoy being able to have voice chat plus achievements but this time I really don't feel like I'm missing out.

Chances are I'll probably be using voice chat on the Xbox 360 while playing the Wii U version anyway - I'm on my 360 every day - this is probably part of what my decision is based on as I want to get away from the Xbox sometimes and back to playing on a home Nintendo console so for me this is just another perfect excuse to do just that, so I'm willing to be a little 'forgiving' on the omission of voice chat... : peace:

... for now! :p

I'm not too fussed about frame rate issues, obviously I'd prefer it without them but growing up with many an N64 Rare title has made me almost immune.

The latest build I saw in Manchester (same as in the vid Retro_Link posted above) ran very smoothly. It was the 360 version and the devs have said that the WiiU one is now closest to their ideal.

I've heard from extremely reliable sources that the Wii U version is bar long and far the best. I understand how the graphics engine works based of having tested the previous game and I know for sure that this is going to look polished and slick as hell.

Generally speaking, a test demo is at least a month and a half to 2 months behind normal development and considering the time that the majority of devs got the Nintendo kits, the framerate issues in the demo don't really surprise me, nor do they worry me.

The people I know at SEGA and at Sumo have said that they are really happy with the Wii U version and they are extremely passionate about the game. I think people also need to keep in mind that this hasn't been developed with the biggest budget in the universe either so they can't be expecting groundbreaking material as:

1) It's a multiplatform game

2) It's a 3rd party game

3) It's first wave

Yes, it's clear Sumo are putting their all into this with the time and resources available. I've been very impressed with their enthusiasm and openness. I *am* a little concerned they may be up against it to get the WiiU version done for launch day. It'd be fine by me if it slipped a few weeks. Anyway, fingers crossed!

Regarding lack of voice chat

I've just commented on this over at Eurogamer. Bear in mind Voice chat is only supported by third party peripherals and then only on the GamePad. Given we felt only a select few players would therefore go buy said peripheral and it meant only one player being able to chat, we opted to spend the time and effort on features more players would enjoy.

We've hardly rushed it out, we've attempted to support as many WiiU specifics as we can via the 5 player splitscreen both off and online, WiiU specific game modes, Mii's with a unique vehicle and more.

You make these calls with a launch title as you don't know what kind of uptake a given feature has. Besides, lack of voice chat never hurt Mario Kart Wii eh? :P - Sumo Digital

Source: http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=188521

That response is so frustrating. Companies perpetuating their own myths. Surely this is something that can be easily patched?

Really hope Nintendo are seeing all the shit they're receiving about the farce of voice chat.

That quote isn't all bad:

5 player splitscreen both off and online

That's pretty damn impressive. Having 5 people round your house and still being able to play against more people online.

That quote isn't all bad:

That's pretty damn impressive. Having 5 people round your house and still being able to play against more people online.

Didn't even see that :) That is amazing actually. PLEASE BE GOOD!

The game is available at Sendit.com for £26.99 using voucher code TSIF at checkout

Oh, there's also a new trailer showing off the Wii U features

Edited by f00had