NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Wii U

Uh-oh...

ONM have put some reviews up - I say reviews it's more initial thoughts but they have given a score next to the games.

This didn't do so well... 62%

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/43897/best-wii-u-games/

Not sure why so low compared to IGN - they didn't mention any technical issues which is what I first thought may be the case compared to the PS360, but they just go on to say it's bland.

Hmm :hmm:

It sounded like the Gametrailers guys weren't overly impressed with it either in the latest Invisible Walls, but it would seem strange to have scores all over the place for this, given it's a pretty straighforward genre to review!

I've been really looking forward to this, but there is a nagging feeling it could be bland. The same could be said about Mario Kart 7 though and I love that.

I've been really looking forward to this, but there is a nagging feeling it could be bland. The same could be said about Mario Kart 7 though and I love that.

Loved MK7, too. But, never liked the feel of SEGA racing, the karts are too loose. Haven't played that much though.

I think it's just ONM, they don't like it and think the original is better. I hope it isn't because it's a technical mess

If I'm honest, there is something a little off for me in some of the content and design choices in this. It doesn't seem to have a very strong identity. Danica Patrick for god's sake! :nono: Watched the intro the other day and thought it was really badly done and soulless. They seem to have lost the Sega charm and character the original had.

I'm just hoping it's a solid, fun racer and the WiiU version is as smooth as Sumo have repeatedly claimed.

I can't imagine it being a mess, I think people need to just wait for more reviews. I tend to like review aggregator sites simply because you get a range of the different reviews for a game. I always like to see the average score and then read the best and worst reviews for that game.

I like Gamerankings better than Metacritic because I find the Metacritic 'community' utterly retarded and the user ratings less than useless.

I agree waiting for reviews is the key. But it is worrying that ONM would rate so low compared to the likes of IGN etc and they've been playing the Wii U version...

I just hope that it's not technically flawed like we first feared. Otherwise it probably does warrant lower scores like ONM's...

Time will tell. *Prays it's good* ha.

But surely ONM would mention the technical problems if they existed, moreso if the didn't like the game?

To make this all a little more hilarious, ONM has had to remove the microreview and score because they broke the embargo!

Stay classy ONM.

Okay. The wii u version is absolutely comparable to the other versions, it's Urey down to differences of opinion. Phew. Pre order stays!

Okay. The wii u version is absolutely comparable to the other versions, it's Urey down to differences of opinion. Phew. Pre order stays!

How do you know this Dazzy?!!

I hope you're right!! :yay:

so when does the Wii U embargo end?

will the reviews drop tomorrow?

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/15/sonic-and-all-stars-racing-transformed-review

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-16-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-review

Both good reviews. They aren't for the Wii U version if that's what you meant though.

Gonna preorder this now, already got the 3DS version preordered.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/15/sonic-and-all-stars-racing-transformed-review

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-16-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-review

Both good reviews. They aren't for the Wii U version if that's what you meant though.

Gonna preorder this now, already got the 3DS version preordered.

Yeah I have both version pre-ordered also. Just wanna see a Wii U review soon.

Nothing against you guys, but why pre-order both?

why not?

I am hoping the handheld version will be great also.

Not sure if this has been posted here or not...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

That's a surprisingly good choice for a music track, and the Skies of Arcadia course looks great. I'm sold on this game.

Here's the 'limited edition' Outrun Bay track, in case anyone isn't sure whether to buy the game at launch to guarantee this track, or to wait and pick the game up later and possibly not get it unless it's DLC at a later date.

Basically, you won't be missing much!

Another review:

360 version but still.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/18/sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-review/

Some snippets:

World Tour is the main campaign in Career mode, and you’ll mine at least 8 hours to 10 hours out of its five interconnected maps (not counting the bonus tour that unlocks after the credits). You travel along a linear track, playing races and other challenges as you go, until you reach a branching path and can choose which course you want to attempt next. It’s a simple but more interesting way to present a long series of races.

The announcer is a little overbearing on the menu screens, but during races, he’s helpful. He tells you what power-ups you receive so you don’t have to take your eyes from the road — giving you an extra second of time that you can always use. This happens in multiplayer as well, but it’s not confusing when you hear the announcer gab about another player.

You can hold two items at once during a race as long as you switch one into your reserve first, and swapping between these changes the order in which you release them. In addition, little symbols appear next to a driver’s name, indicating what item he’s currently holding. This is key to knowing when to drive defensively or to close the distance.

What’s also most surprising is that Racing Transformed features no story whatsoever, and it’s better off without it. This is about gameplay, not forcing a half-meaningful plot on a band of characters. Instead, the focus is on the experience.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed delivers huge value at a generous price: $40. If all you want is racing, you might be disappointed when you learn everything that awaits you, but it’s easy to appreciate the wealth of multiplayer options, the smart gameplay and design, and how well it all comes together. If you’re tired of Mario Kart after Mario Kart, Racing Transformed is a fresh approach.

Score: 83/100

Well it appears that we still have no mention of a Wii U version. But nice to see some praise for the game on other platforms :D

Well it looks like they fixed the framerate problems at least :)

Seems like it may be worth a pickup. The Wii U exclusive modes and features sound great too :D

Been reading some user views on this from the American peoples. :heh:

Seems to be going down very well.

Lots of people saying this is the game that shows the graphical power of the Wii U off most from the launch titles.

Snippits:

It looks awesome, while NSMBU looks blah blah.

The scenery water and skies really do show the Wii Us power off, and its only a launch title.

How about that gorgeous glowing water in the Samba De Amigo track? Man that's eye candy

The graphics definitely look gorgeous for this game. Having a lot of fun with it too.

Seems really positive - with zero mention of frame rate / slow down issues.

Therefore, this is being pre-ordered.

At first I was on the fence, worrying the Wii U would suffer from some technical glitches / poor porting, but it seems not.

I also am taking ONM's review with a pinch of salt. They're the only ones who seem to not like the game - and I honestly believe its bias regardless of what they say.

This game looks like it wipes the floor with Mario Kart's efforts in the last couple of years. And I've played and loved all the latest MK's! But I loved the first Sega Racing so cannot wait for this now!