Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

NiGHTS HD

Hero-of-Time

The game was announced yesterday ( surprise no topic has been made ) for PC, PSN and XBLA. It will arrive before the end of the year.

If this is what is the result of Sega restructuring, then count me in. Skies of Arcadia will do nicely as their next project.

If this is what is the result of Sega restructuring, then count me in. Skies of Arcadia will do nicely as their next project.

Yes... But I'd also like the rumours of the Shenmue 1&2 HD remakes to be true too.

Digital release via PSN & XBLA... fits perfectly.

Probably a port of the PS2 version, so it'll be missing a few bits (including 2 player!) and feature a few minor mechanic changes as detailed here: http://www.scoreattack.net/gameoverviewps2.php

The wierdest thing is having the draw in line and horizons alot farther reaching. Its a bit disconcerting to actually be able to see the chips and ribbons from so far off lol

The original Saturn is very faithful from what I've seen (only played SV so far)

No 2 player Xmas Nights ripped to pieces (no original, no presents, no karoke, no music mood adjuster) PS2 pad feels 'different' (need to play test it more though) Xmas nights intro ('The city is covered in lights...' intro) is in Japanese - fun to hear though! Gillwing paraloop technique seems tighter (I've actually not done it yet - got a 19 link max, his head doesnt seem to take hit from the paraloop any more) Gulpos fish seem harder to grab onto No Link attack, Time Attack or Sonic into Dreams... No blue-out above Twin Seeds Tower. Links are harder overall

Also I bet you guys any money that they'll rip out Christmas Nights and sell it as DLC (just like the Sonic Adventure DX content)

Most people probably wont care about these minor little bits, but because I already own NiGHTS and Xmas NiGHTS on Saturn, I'll pass on this one. Gimme a VC release of the original Saturn version on the Wii U VC and then we'll be talking!

Edited by Dcubed

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Woot, or something:

On the PlayStation Network, NiGHTS and Sonic Adventure 2 will be available on October 2 for $9.99 USD, and available October 5 for 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE Arcade for the Xbox 360.

As an added bonus for NiGHTS into dreams…, players who buy the title will receive free access to the dreams from the original 1996 holiday-themed expansion, Christmas NiGHTS - previously only available through a Saturn holiday bundle or from special game and magazine promotions.

http://blogs.sega.com/2012/09/17/nights-into-dreams%E2%80%A6-and-sonic-adventure-2-available-in-october/

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so supposedly SEGA have fucked up the port...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=42811297#post42811297

Well, looks like I cannot give up my Saturn after all.

The controls are horrible. Movement seems to be 8-way no matter if you use analog control or not. This really kills the game for me. It does not control this way on Saturn.

Am I the only one having problems with this? I guess the PS2 version plays the same... too bad even the included Saturn version has this problem, even if it seems less obvious there. I guess this is the lag in movement control someone was mentioning earlier. But to me it definitely feels like the controls being toned down to 8-way.

This makes me sad.

Just got the game. Love it to death on my Saturn and briefly played the ps2 version. The controls definetly feel different. I'm able to do a hell of a lot more dance moves after getting the yellow/ble ring thing. I have a much harder time going through the yellow rings. It seems to move slower too.

Also with the "Saturn version", I recall it looking just like the real Saturn game (no texture filtering, geometry popping, etc.) on the ps2 to the point I thought it was just emulated. In this one, I was disappointed to see that it actually looks nothing the original Saturn game. Besides the geometry being similar to the Saturn one, everything else is different.

I do really love the look of the new one though.

The music also sounds different. Sounds more dulled, but maybe that's just in my head. I know the Saturn sound chip worked differently because it synthesized the music on the fly if I recall so maybe that's why this sounds different.

Alright, so after digging around for half the day I found my Saturn controller and took some time doing a side by side comparison. As I suspected some of the complaints about the controls are a bit hyperbolic, but I also have to correct myself and concur that there's a tangible difference between how each version controls. In the HD remaster NiGHTS moves a little slower when flying straight (not as conspicuous during loops for some reason) and tends to sort of "snap" into certain angles at slower speeds. The digital control thing makes it sound like 8 way control, but it's closer to maybe 16-32? At any rate, it's not that apparent when you're barreling forward, but some sensitivity is lost when you're building to full speed.

The included "Saturn version" (which isn't really that close to the actual Saturn version) performs a bit better in terms of flying speed, and seems a bit easier to connect difficult combos. Overall though, I confess neither one controls as buttery smooth as the original. It's a a slight bummer considering how long fans have waited for something like this, but at least the ports are fairly decent and I don't consider any of the alterations to be deal breakers. In fact, I'd highly recommend the remake to anyone curious who doesn't have a Saturn or just wants to play with cleaner IQ on their LCD. That said, if you're a Saturn owner, don't jettison your original copy just yet. In spite of its artifact ridden FMV and warpy textures it's still the best controlling version of NiGHTS out there.

Also supposedly the "Saturn" mode doesn't accurately replicate the original Saturn game either (and that's on top of the original PS2 port's inaccuracies to begin with)

A damn shame, especially considering that JSR HD was apparently a really good port job.

Will wait for a VC release of the original SS version :(

Edited by Dcubed

*Is currently downloading on the PS3* :blank:

Not really what I wanted to hear I must admit but I've learned to take comments like this with a healthy dose of salt until I actually play the game for myself.

I mean, yes the port of JSR was very good but the controls felt a little different on that so I'm kind of expecting the same for any game ported from one of Sega's past consoles but I don't think I'll have any trouble playing NiGHTS at all.

The Wii U may get a port of the original at some point but until then this is surely the cheapeast and most accessible way to experience the classic and for that reason I'll likely end up owning it on both PS3 and Xbox 360... a bit overkill perhaps but the PS3 version is more in the hope that there may come an update that will allow you to play it on the Vita... maybe that's just a pipe dream though but either way I'm all for supporting this fantastic game in the hope that we get a worthier sequel than Journey of Dreams. ;)

I don't understand the game. What am I supposed to be doing? I float around and catch some balls and then comes this dragon and after a while I get a "Night Over" screen. And that's it. Lol. I don't think I've ever been as clueless as to what it is I'm supposed to be doing in a game. :D

In the main stages your goal is to collect 20 of those blue spheres and then fly into the round machine which gets you one of the four coloured spheres that you then take to the start point, do this four times within the time limit to beat the stage...

... however the stage isn't completely beaten until you take out the boss, in your case the first stages boss is Gilwing the dragon; you can take him out either by paralooping in front of him or by flying right up and pushing him back, so long as you beat the boss within the time limit you beat the stage.

Have fun! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'd never played the original so I have to say I'm slightly disappointed by it. Especially as I love the Wii version, I actually have no idea why people consider that to be shit when compared to this.

The controls feel pretty clunky and the game itself is just so zoomed in. The pop-up seems horrible and the graphics in general are so messy with awful textures that it's hard to tell what's going on.

I know it's a Saturn game and I'd have expected it to look this way in the Saturn version, but with the remake I was expecting more effort on SEGA's part like with Daytona USA.

*hides in cave*

I'd never played the original so I have to say I'm slightly disappointed by it. Especially as I love the Wii version, I actually have no idea why people consider that to be shit when compared to this.

The controls feel pretty clunky and the game itself is just so zoomed in. The pop-up seems horrible and the graphics in general are so messy with awful textures that it's hard to tell what's going on.

I know it's a Saturn game and I'd have expected it to look this way in the Saturn version, but with the remake I was expecting more effort on SEGA's part like with Daytona USA.

*hides in cave*

The controls were ruined in this version. You're supposed to have a full 360 degrees level of control, but it's only 8 way in the PSN/XBLA version.

That being said, I would agree with you about the game being too zoomed in and not giving you a wide enough FOV. I've always felt that was an issue, even with the Saturn original.

Once you memorise the layout though, you can fly through the levels like a pro though! :D

I must be the only person who has no issues with the controls then, well on the 360 version at least, the PS3 version isn't as great due to the controller but I mean I managed to paraloop all of Gilwing's tail in one go which requires a little bit of precision so that suggests to me that there's nothing wrong with the controls. ;)

The Gilwing paraloop is ridiculously easy in this version though...

It definitely plays very differently to the Saturn version, I played loads of the XBLA version before launch and never found it too bad, the PS3 version on the other hand I'm having a really hard time with. It would have been nice if they could have got the full 360 direction controls back in.

That said, it really does look amazing, from a visual point of view I think they did a great job.

• 1 month later...

They fixed the controls! Maybe... I haven't updated yet :P Will have another pop at it soon!

This is from SEGA's Facebook:

"We've released a patch for NiGHTS into dreams... on PSN and XBLA. First, we’ve adjusted the controls to allow analog input in 24 directions, which will give you greater control. Second, we’ve changed the drill-dash speed so it aligns with the Saturn version of the game. The patch is available now!"