NEurope
Dyson

3DS XL

The Circle Pad Pro has two extra shoulder buttons, so without them you would still need an attachment.

I did not know this. Are all four used in games?

"It doesn't affect me so it's not my problem"? Great mentality!
It doesn't affect anyone!

Nobody needs to buy a 3DSXL. The current 3DS will still be available, complete with AC adaptor. :hmm:

It bothers me and I don't even want the console. It bothers me because it's a poor, cheap and selfish decision which worries me about the direction Nintendo is moving in.

Will the Wii U need AV cables buying separately? Will the next Zelda require yet another console add-on?

Fair enough, but I think you might be getting slightly carried away there. :heh:

Nintendo would never release the Wii U without AV cables. They'll probably just include the standard composite cable, but that's nothing new anyway, the higher quality ones have always been an optional extra.

I always get carried away. That's my thing.

It just reminds me of when they stopped shipping USB cables with cheap inkjets. Most people picked one up off the shelves, drove back home then find they'd bought a big useless chunk of plastic that couldn't print anything.

In fact even if they just included a USB cable, which costs just a few pence to produce, at least 99% of people could charge the device through a computer or a phone adapter.

This WILL come with a charger, im sure of it now. Nintendo won't be that idiotic.

Initial shipments into Europe will be here now, so this is really unlikely.

Annoyingly I bought a new 3DS case yest ready which fits the device in perfectly... Now what do I do? Keep the 3DS? Really wished Nintendo sorted the account feature out before this was released so we could make run two devices with all the content ton, maybe even with transferable game saves!

The 3DS XL simply looks too big to be portable - at least not without a gadgebag. I am still torn about it - I'd love a larger screen 3DS but without a bump in resolution I fear things could look a little shoddy.

It just reminds me of when they stopped shipping USB cables with cheap inkjets.

Great point you've made, if its cheap you should expect some cut backs. 3DS XL is not cheap and therefore should come with - at the very least - a charger. Its a Watchdog article waiting to happen.

It doesn't affect anyone!

Nobody needs to buy a 3DSXL. The current 3DS will still be available, complete with AC adaptor. :hmm:

That's a terrible argument, dude.

This is a bigger version of the 3DS. It's an alternative, giving the consumer some choice about whether to buy the original, or a much larger model. Not shipping it with a charger is such a terrible decision. For example, I don't currently own a 3DS, but I may pick one up in the future. Knowing Nintendo, there will be a redesign or alternative model at some point. In this case, the XL version is one of these alternative models. So, if I were to pick one up, I can't just buy it, take it home and use it, because I'm missing an essential part of the product. Without a charger, I get a few hours of game time and that's it. It's a shit decision.

There is no sense in not including it. Why don't they just ship the 3DSXL/whatever its called without a stylus? If people already have a 3DS, then they are fine! Answer: They wouldn't. Or, rather, they shouldn't.

At the very least they should include a USB charger.

Also, cheap inkjets (around £30) are now wireless.

Why does NA get chargers and no one else? that's what I'd like to know.

Why does NA get chargers and no one else? that's what I'd like to know.

I just think it's cheaper in US on taxes. Europe on Japan are high on tax and low on people with loads'a money.

It's crap they ain't including chargers, but they expect those who have a 3DS already to keep the chargers to use for the XL, which is a bad move because when trading 3DS's in, they kinda want the charger to go with it.

A serious flaw by Nintendo here i believe.

So, if I were to pick one up, I can't just buy it, take it home and use it, because I'm missing an essential part of the product. Without a charger, I get a few hours of game time and that's it. It's a shit decision.
No, but you could buy it and the AC adapter, which you're fully aware that you also need to purchase in order to charge the XL system, take it home and use it.

Look at it this way, (using the current online pricing) the XL is going to cost £180, the AC adapter costs £8 and the AC adapter+Cradle is £20.

Now let's just say Nintendo did include that stuff in the box, that would make it £190 (they'd round it up :heh:) - £200.

What difference does it make for you to have to buy the AC adapter separately, is it really that much of a hassle/problem? You'd almost certainly have to pay extra regardless of it being bundled with the system anyway. :hmm:

An AC adapter costs nowhere near £8.

Although I'm sure GAME and some other places will throw in their own branded charger.

No, but you could buy it and the AC adapter, which you're fully aware that you also need to purchase in order to charge the XL system, take it home and use it.

Look at it this way, (using the current online pricing) the XL is going to cost £180, the AC adapter costs £8 and the AC adapter+Cradle is £20.

Now let's just say Nintendo did include that stuff in the box, that would make it £190 (they'd round it up :heh:) - £200.

What difference does it make for you to have to buy the AC adapter separately, is it really that much of a hassle/problem? You'd almost certainly have to pay extra regardless of it being bundled with the system anyway. :hmm:

This is exactly the problem with it. You should be able to buy the product (in this case, the 3DSLL) and not need anything else in order to use it. The product is useless by itself because after a few hours the battery will die.

It's no good saying "you can just buy the adapter separately." You shouldn't need to do this. Everything you need to be able to use the product should come with it. I don't care how cheap the adapters are separately, its the principle that matters in this case.

Also, how the fuck are Nintendo going to market this? Are they going to say in their advertisements that the adapter is sold separately? Are they going to have it labelled on the box in bold letters? If they should know anything by now, it's that the public need things explained to them directly. Remember the whole fiasco over the 3DS being just a new model of DS and not a successor? In this case, it's another blunder. Just market the damn charger with it, because it doesn't make any sense not to include it.

Would you buy a brand new car at a slightly cheaper price and be told that the car doesn't come with a battery already installed? No, you wouldn't. You should have everything that you already need included with it. Same principle with this. Undefendable, in my opinion.

Also, how the fuck are Nintendo going to market this? Are they going to say in their advertisements that the adapter is sold separately? Are they going to have it labelled on the box in bold letters?
There's a luminous yellow rectangle on the box of the 3DS XL to warn consumers about the charger situation. So anyone that gets "a nasty surprise" needs to get their vision sorted before playing video games. :heh:
8tqQ0.jpg

I didn't realise they mentioned it in the press conference. Nntendo have been making retarded decision after retarded decision, this is just absolutely insane! It has no logic and will piss off so many people. Yeah people can just buy a charger, but we're not talking about us in here who knows these things, we're talking about the general public who won't know.

I can't believe Nintendo would release a product with not everything in it to actually play the thing. So unbelievably stupid!

I reckon red shell works for nintendos product department and this was his idea. That's why he's getting so defensive about it ;)

It's no good saying "you can just buy the adapter separately." You shouldn't need to do this. Everything you need to be able to use the product should come with it. I don't care how cheap the adapters are separately, its the principle that matters in this case.

Even though a lot of people may have a DSi, DSiXL or 3DS charger lying around, it still is a stupid move by Nintendo.

I reckon red shell works for nintendos product department and this was his idea. That's why he's getting so defensive about it ;)
Thanks for the chuckle. :laughing:

Just been looking at the reveal on Nintendo Direct again, it looks like there's no illuminated 3D light on the top screen any more. Can't be sure from that vid though, but I'd be very pleased if that is the case. Was never a fan of that constant green light next to the screen, especially when playing 3DS in low light conditions. :hehe:

And this potential problem bothers you because?... ::shrug:

Just a bit of a hippy to be honest. It doesn't bother me, but it pisses me off when companies pull this shit. I know Nintendo is taking a lot of tips from Apple but sheesh, they haven't tried taking away chargers yet.

Whilst I agree it is retarded, I can just about see the reasoning behind it. I've got countless 'nintendo' chargers built up in various locations now, and if this is largely likely to be upgrade it kinda makes sense to not supply the charger if it'll knock £5-10 off the price(it reduces packing/size as well); wasn't the 3DS charger used for the DSi XL too? It might have even been the same for the other systems, I only know from experience it fits the XL. Given the market saturation of DS's, it could be the case that a lot of people buying this system WILL already have a charger. Though, as said, yeah it's still retarded; and probably thinking more of their own profit margins than the consumers' pockets.

My guess on the lack of a charger (which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of for a handheld device) is that in stores like GameStop or Game or HMV, etc, they will likely sell the 3DS XL bundled with their own branded chargers or some 3rd party charger. They'll likely put up posters given the "full price" and a minor "discounted" price with a charger and staff will (or should be) made to ask anyone buying an XL if they require a charger or not.

Maybe everyone should just flood Ninty Europes Twitter with complaints about no charger, they might take notice.

It's the same as the dsi, XL and 3DS; not dslite unfortunately.

Is £179.99 really the price for this thing then?! Hmm. Really want one, but at that price... I'm sure Game will do a good offer trading in your dol 3DS, but then how do we transfer our stuff over to it without an account system...?

So uh, assumedly this wont fit into the pre-existing Circle Pad Pro, so will require another one to be made.

HOW FUCKING BIG WILL THAT BE?

This system, with the circle pad pro, will probably be literally un-portable. Like, the size of carrying a psone around in your pocket.

It's seriously annoying. They knew there was a huge audience of people who wanted to buy a redesign. A redesign with obvious improvements that were essential. Not necessarily one that's massive though.

So what do we get? A redesign with improvements (fixes DS resolution issue? No more shitty two-tone. Bigger) but ignores the MASSIVE GLARING PROBLEM people demanded, 2nd control stick. And now if there is a circle pad pro xl, the system will be massive, heavy and unwieldy. Good job Nintendo, A++!

but then how do we transfer our stuff over to it without an account system...?

You can't. You're going to have to buy it. Then transfer everything over to the XL, then you can decide what to do with your 3DS. Unless of course a store allows you to transfer everything right when you purchase it :laughing: (not feasible)

I've been thinking about this since yesterday.

And now if there is a circle pad pro xl, the system will be massive, heavy and unwieldy. Good job Nintendo, A++!

CPP for a 3DS XL sounds insane. I think we may eventually see another re-design one that includes a 2nd slide pad. 3DS XL Pro

Is it really cheaper for Nintendo to additionally produce CPP and potential CPP XL's than just redesign the system?

And there's nothing stopping them adding 4 shoulder buttons to the 3DS and 3DS XL... just don't make it flat on the back and instead sculpted like the Wii U Game Pad.

... The 3DS XL is already too big to be carried around in pockets, so they might aswell just reshape it.