NEurope
Dyson

3DS XL

I know they can't change the resolution, like DSi|DSi XL, I was just stating. btw you think the 3D 'Sweet spot' has been improved? as in there will be a bit more leeway when viewing 3D content compared to the 3DS.

EDIT: I think only NA get's an AC adapter packaged with 3DS XL.

S3D tech hasn't moved on very much since the 3DS first came out.

The biggest new thing is that screens can now have more sweet spots than before, so I reckon that'll be the main change. The sweet spots will probably still be small, but you'll probably be able to see the 3D effect at more angles than before (The current 3DS only has 3 sweet spots. Maybe double for this one?)

I would think it would be pretty easy.

Not without having prongs/curvature at the end like a controller. Those Classic Controller (original model) bumpers don't work very well, nor are they really cross compatible with the Pro style ones (since it's basically impossible to press all 4 buttons at once while you're playing - meaning that you wouldn't be able to play games that are designed around using all 4 of them, like MGS3D)

Even the Vita doesn't have 4 shoulder buttons and that thing is huge! There's a good reason why they've not included them.

Edited by Dcubed

Hmm. I've just realised that Europe isn't getting any single colour models. That's disappointing.

Wanted a red one, but not sure after seeing pics. White does look nice though.

Thing is, I liked to switch between DSi and Dsi XL, bit harder on 3ds due to Friend Codes, Downloadable Content, Play Logs, Streetpass etc. Might have to try one first.

Will likely still buy one :P

How can you defend the system? So Nintendo are relying on everyone already having a 3DS, and then not wanting to sell it once they have this version?! It's digusting. It's artificially keeping the cost down and they will piss A LOT of people off when they go to take their new console home and...oh... can't play it, need to buy a separate charger!
Defend the system? Defend it from what? :heh:

All I'm saying is that I like 3DS games, so I want to experience them in the best possible way.

This is an optional redesign, not a replacement for the current 3DS system. If people don't like it/want it, they wont get it. Simples.

WOAH! Someone on GAF made a great point! There's a secret awesome feature of the 3DSXL.

You know how you can make GB/GBC/GBA/DS games display at 1-1 resolution by holding down Start/Select?

6uipO.png

(Sharp pixels, but really small GB Micro size)

Well, with the XL, the screen size and DPI will match the original DS model now! (With no nasty blurry upscaling!)

qbCVk.png

(Awesome large chunky pixels!)

Nice :D Never thought they'd manage to solve the problem (in a roundabout way!)

Does this work out about the same size as the DSi XL? I really hope the sorted out the bottom screen scratching the top screen problem!!

If it makes DS games look better it might be worth an upgrade...

Does this work out about the same size as the DSi XL? I really hope the sorted out the bottom screen scratching the top screen problem!!

Screen scratching was fixed in the current model as far as I'm aware.

Edited by Ike

The bottom screen is the same size as the DSiXL's (the top being a widescreen version of the DSiXL's screen)

So far I think Japan are getting the single colour 3DS LL units. I would really like a purple one, if not then an all White/Black 3DS XL.

Defend the system? Defend it from what? :heh:

All I'm saying is that I like 3DS games, so I want to experience them in the best possible way.

This is an optional redesign, not a replacement for the current 3DS system. If people don't like it/want it, they wont get it. Simples.

But what kind of attitude is that - don't like it don't buy it?! Awful for a company trying to sell a product to the mass market. Do Nintendo only plan to sell this to people who already have a 3DS and want to keep that 3DS?!

I would be gobsmacked if this released in Europe without a charger.

I mean, I'll definitely be getting it too (wish it was yellow though), but it's just yet another ridiculous decision by Nintendo.

But what kind of attitude is that - don't like it don't buy it?! Awful for a company trying to sell a product to the mass market. Do Nintendo only plan to sell this to people who already have a 3DS and want to keep that 3DS?!

I mean, I'll definitely be getting it too (wish it was yellow though), but it's just yet another ridiculous decision by Nintendo.

I totally get where you're coming from, and yes, it is silly for them to sell it without the charger. But Nintendo make so many "interesting" decisions, that I'm beyond caring about it now. :heh:

I just see this as an opportunity to play 3DS in an even better way. Don't really care about the charger situation at all, seeing as I already have 2 of them. [/selfish] :laughing:

SPRS_001_WWimgeK_D2c_R_ad.jpg

Like the Select|Home|Start buttons better this way. Like Dcubed said, I'm hoping that the Dpad has been improved over the 3DS's DisgustingPad!

Also no more telescopic stylus.

I like how round it is, it reminds me of the original DS lol

Shame there's no second analogue stick or else I would be tempted to buy this.

Hopefully retailers will do the smart thing and bundle chargers with the console by themselves...

Would be an obvious way to 1up the competition, especially given how many cheap 3rd party and 2nd hand chargers there are out there...

Edited by Dcubed

Yeah, me too. Isn't it by law mandatory to include chargers for electronic hardware these days, according to some EU legislation? I really don't think you guys (who want to buy one) need to worry.

Speak for yourself.

I'll just leave this here. :D

I like the look of the redesign. It looks nice and smooth and brings it in line with the Wii U design.

Ohhh, it's like that is it... handbags at 50 paces. Lol, yeah, it's not a redesign though, is it. It was always a given they'd release an XL at some point.

SPRS_001_WWimgeK_D2c_R_ad.jpg

Like the Select|Home|Start buttons better this way. Like Dcubed said, I'm hoping that the Dpad has been improved over the 3DS's DisgustingPad!

Also no more telescopic stylus.

Look at it, there's ROOM for the second stick!! Can't wait to hear Nintendos rationale for this!

From an aesthetic point of view, I actually hate the new design.. I think it looks terrible :eek:

I'm glad they didn't add any extra buttons or functionality! I'll stick to my original 3DS, thanks :heh:

Look at it, there's ROOM for the second stick!! Can't wait to hear Nintendos rationale for this!

No room for 4 shoulder buttons = no way to implement 2nd circle pad from CPPro (would break game compatibility)

End of.

No room for 4 shoulder buttons = no way to implement 2nd circle pad from CPPro (would break game compatibility)

End of.

Yeah there is, just make it thicker!

And why would it ruin game compatibility?!

True, if you were to implement the extra shoulder buttons & a 2nd stick, you've practically got the Upad...but in 3D with 2 screens of course, it won't be very portable at all.

It's not like the 3DS XL is designed to be lugged around in your pocket so portability shouldn't matter that much. They could have ZL and ZR buttons like on the Wii's Classic Controllers if they didn't want to make the system thicker or just have 2 thin shoulder buttons like on the original PS1 :D

Ohhh, it's like that is it... handbags at 50 paces. Lol, yeah, it's not a redesign though, is it. It was always a given they'd release an XL at some point.

Sorry, mate, I couldn't resist. The only reason I remembered your post was because a similar thing happened with the DSLite. Iwata claimed no changes would be made to the DS then BAM a few days later it was revealed. :D

Friends? :hug:

I like how round it is, it reminds me of the original DS lol

Shame there's no second analogue stick or else I would be tempted to buy this.

I don't get that complaint. If there was a second circle pad, it'd never be used because developers wouldn't know if the consumer has it

Just noticed that the top screen is no longer just black. The black 3D screen was just to emphasize the 3D 'effect' even more. Now that it's gone, one can only think they've made improvements to the 3D display.