NEurope
Dyson

3DS XL

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/18/why-we-didnt-get-a-white-3ds-xl

Why We Didn't Get a White 3DS XL

But don't give up hope - we might still get one yet.

While North America received Red/Black and Blue/Black models, the UK also received a Silver/Black iteration. Japan not only had that color configuration, but a gorgeous all-white model as well. One that neither North America nor Europe received. I've always been a bit puzzled as to why most of the world had been overlooked when it came to the silver and white models. So I did the only natural thing - I asked Nintendo of America president and COO Reggie Fils-Aime for a reason, at least as far as his North American market was concerned. His answer was simple and made perfect sense - yet gave me a bit of hope for the future.

"We have launched silver- and white-colored GBAs, DSes, DSis, and in our [North American] market they don't sell very well," Fils-Aime admitted. "So instead of approaching this lighter-colored product as a mass [product], we're going to look at the opportunity on a much more limited basis. You might see a limited-time offer with a white or silver 3DS XL, or we might colorize it slightly differently. But in terms of an ongoing SKU, the consumer has responded in our marketplace and said that, for a handheld gaming device from Nintendo, that kind of white or silver doesn't sell nearly as well as blue or red or even pink."

It's interesting to not only note that Nintendo is still considering limited runs with lighter toned 3DS XL models, but that it's specifically light-toned portables that don't seem to sell well. Considering Nintendo of America kept Wii to just one color scheme - white - for years, that rule certainly didn't seem to apply to home consoles.

I'd have thought the likes of White & Black would have been the most popular.

I know a LOT of people (myself included) who wanted an all-white XL. IMO, it's the best out of all the colours that were released.

You say man hands, but the slide pad doesn't seem any further away from the buttons than before - plus, you can see the contours as it curves in more than the original and slopes away where your palm would be. I've not tried the original CPP but that looks like it might be more comfortable to me.

That colour thing certainly comes as a surprise as I too would have thought to have been a firm favourite.

Yeah, but the 3DS XL is bigger than the 3DS. So an XL + CPP will be bigger than a 3DS + CPP.

I'm happy though, its the best way to play both MGS & RE:R, imo.

Thankfully I've already played through RE:Revelations, so might be able to get away without getting one of these in the future (no other games on the horizon are suppotring it); fed up of all these accessories.

Actually I think Capcom had the CPP attached on the 3DS XL for their MH4 Demo booths, not sure if it actually used it though.

Here's a separate pic I found from GAF:

J3KTJ.jpg

EDIT: Kotaku 3DS XL CPP Impressions:

Nintendo has once again made an add-on second Circle Pad for the 3DS. And, you know what, it's not half bad. Actually, it seems like the Circle Pad Pro for the XL could be pretty good.

The smartest thing about the larger Circle Pad Pro is its design. It's not nearly as bulky as the original Circle Pad Pro, gradually jutting out for the second Circle Pad. This shaved design even has a ergonomic slope for you to rest your palm. It's a smart design on Nintendo's part, and it feels nice in the hand—comfortable, but not too big.

"Not too big"—that's funny. The 3DS XL is big; that's the point. It's big, which is something gamers who dislike the original 3DS's size will probably appreciate.

Like the regular Circle Pad Pro, the backside of the new add-on shows exposed screws. The plastic is still hard and feels cheap—Nintendo continues to ignore soft touch plastics. While the shaved design of the new Circle Pad Pro shows Nintendo is thinking about how to make this peripheral more comfortable to use, it's a shame that Nintendo hasn't figured out how to improve things like basic presentation.

Also, like the original Circle Pad Pro, this XL version is light. This is a huge asset for the new add-on, as I don't imagine players will feel tired using it.

The button layout for the larger Circle Pad Pro is similar to its earlier, smaller incarnation. The shoulder buttons, however, feel slightly smaller. I honestly do not know if this is merely psychological or if they are indeed smaller.

The most interesting thing about this new, larger Circle Pad Pro is that it feels compact, yet still usable. And more importantly, while Nintendo says the 3DS XL isn't big enough for a second analog stick, the new Circle Pad Pro's smart design gives hope that one day it could be.

Edited by -Dem0-
Automerged Doublepost

I will be geting this Circle Pad Pro XL so I can start playing Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D again

So I'm thinking of importing me a white 3DS XL. Any drawbacks from that? I bought a DSi in the US and I couldn't purchase stuff from the DSi Shop. Is this going to be an issue again?

And will it also not list Norway as a region since it'll be a japanese console (The white is only released in Japan, right?).

So I'm thinking of importing me a white 3DS XL. Any drawbacks from that? I bought a DSi in the US and I couldn't purchase stuff from the DSi Shop. Is this going to be an issue again?

And will it also not list Norway as a region since it'll be a japanese console (The white is only released in Japan, right?).

The 3DS is region locked. You'd have to buy all your 3DS games from Japan too.