NEurope
Dyson

3DS XL

A new, upsized version of the 3DS.

original.jpg

*facepalm*...though I do like the colour schemes they're going with.

Thoughts?

Unexpected but its so much bigger than I thought it would be. I'm going to have to get it I've wanted bigger screens since the 3DS launched.

6u6BJ.png

No second stick is a mistake but I can deal with that aslong as theres an add on so I can play Snake Eater and RE with dual sticks.

Just re-posting some of the other info I had in the other thread.

- The screen is 4.88 inches. It gives 90% extra view area. The lower screen is now 4.18 inch. It also has 90% extra view area.

- 3DS LL will have slightly longer battery life, a 4 gigabyte memory card but it won't include a charger. You can use the same charger from your 3DS. Cradle and plug sold separately, if you like.

- 3DS LL will hit Japan 7/28

- new sketching game for 3DS shown, much like Art Academy. 3800 yen. Exchange art via StreetPass.

IMO, it looks nice, looks comfortable. But it really should have a 2nd stick. I'm guessing that we might see a CPP LL?

Its out August 19th in the states, same day as Mario and its $200

Thank heavens it looks like they've realised the second circle pad was a stupid idea nobody really wanted.

Thank heavens it looks like they've realised the second circle pad was a stupid idea nobody really wanted.

This.

Yeah, I'm definitely getting one of these. Now to decide on a colour...

Ugly Box, and I'm not just talking about the image quality.

box.jpg

NA Box

r1.png

Edited by -Dem0-

Speak for yourself.

I'll just leave this here. :D

Yeah, so the next time you hear someone say "I'm waiting for the inevitable redesign" which I know I've heard and read thousands of times, you can direct them to this.

"I really feel like I'm satisfied with the 3DS hardware as it is. I feel like it's the best for this generation. What we're thinking about right now is probably going to be for a future generation of handheld."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/06/miyamoto_talks_down_idea_of_3ds_redesign

I like the look of the redesign. It looks nice and smooth and brings it in line with the Wii U design.

in line with the Wii U design...hey that rhymes!

Nintendo 3DS XL: Length 156mm x Width 93mm x Height 22mm (closed) Weight: 336g.

Nintendo 3DS: Length 134mm x Width 74mm x Height 21mm (closed) Weight: 235g.

Nintendo DSi XL Length 161mm x Width 91mm x Height 21mm (closed) Weight: 314g.

Resolution unchanged despite the large increase in screen size.

I'm surprised the 3D even works as such a resolution at that size.

I honestly can't wait to see what the Circle Pad Pro LL will look like.

- 3DS LL will have slightly longer battery life, a 4 gigabyte memory card but it won't include a charger. You can use the same charger from your 3DS. Cradle and plug sold separately, if you like.

It seems that in the US they are getting the AC adaptor with it. Looks to be a US only thing at the moment. Seems really weird not giving people a charger with the handheld.

Great, more hardware.

How about some games that will be out very soon, Nintendo?

Out of nowhere! :o

At first I really thought the announcement was that NSMB2 was out today. When I then saw the 3DS XL, my jaw literally hit the floor!!

Anyway, I'm loving the look of this. Good idea to get it out there relatively early in the 3DS life cycle too. icon14.gif I never got the DSi XL, mainly because it launched too late and after so many other revisions. :hmm:

Looks like this is back to the nice matte style plastic of the DSi too, no more finger print magnet. :hehe:

Red XL for me please! :grin:

Bought. DSi XL was screens were great. Need a LL CCP though :(

Feel sorry for the people who waited for a redesign at E3 and then bought one after nothing was shown :laughing:

won't include a charger

Wait, what?

No 2nd Circle Pad or extra shoulder buttons!?

tumblr_m1gm41itKz1qzd79s.jpg

FUCK YEAH!!! I AM NOSTRADAMUS! Non believers can suck it! :D

Not having an AC adapter included for Europe is a monumentally stupid decision however that I hope comes back to bite NOE in the arse. Fucking cheapskates, all the other regions have AC adaptors!

Also, I'm not a big fan of the design of the top lid's inside. Looks cheap (especially the 3D slider), but the improved battery life is very welcome and hopefully it comes with a better D-pad than on the original model. The new Start/Select/Home buttons look soooooo much better than the old ones though! :D

Ugly Box, and I'm not just talking about the image quality.

box.jpg

NA Box

r1.png

Agreed. NOA are handling it much better than NOE all around.

in line with the Wii U design...hey that rhymes!

Resolution unchanged despite the large increase in screen size.

Well that's obvious. There's no way they can just change the resolution and keep compatibility. The games are designed to a set specification. This is a console, not a PC/mobile phone.

Edited by Dcubed

I want to hear about some impressions first, but is anyone thinking about buying the XL?

What is up with Nintendos brain?! No second stick, no fucking charger!! Surely this is a mistake?! Doesn't make ANY SENSE!!! (the charger bit, not the second stick)

What is up with Nintendos brain?! No second stick, no fucking charger!! Surely this is a mistake?! Doesn't make ANY SENSE!!! (the charger bit, not the second stick)

I've said this a thousand times. You can't have the 2nd circle pad because there's no way to incorporate the additional 2 shoulder buttons on a handheld device.

Now we need a Circle Pad Pro XL...

Not having the AC adapter though is fucking moronic. Fuck them for expecting everyone who buys one to already own a DSi/DSiXL/3DS!

I know they can't change the resolution, like DSi|DSi XL, I was just stating. btw you think the 3D 'Sweet spot' has been improved? as in there will be a bit more leeway when viewing 3D content compared to the 3DS.

EDIT: I think only NA get's an AC adapter packaged with 3DS XL.

I want to hear about some impressions first, but is anyone thinking about buying the XL?
I'm 99.9% getting one, yeah. :hehe:

I use the 3DS a lot (and will blatantly use it a lot more in the future), so want to be playing on the best possible version of the system.

I don't see it as a big deal. Soooo many people will already have a compatible charger (like Satoru Shibata pointed out) and if not, they will be available at retail anyway.

Hey, if it keeps the cost of the 3DSXL down a bit, then it's all good in my opinion.

Really happy about this announcement. I'd been looking to pick up a DSi XL anyway.

The extra battery life is a bonus too!

I'm 99.9% getting one, yeah. :hehe:

I use the 3DS a lot (and will blatantly use it a lot more in the future), so want to be playing on the best possible version of the system.

I don't see it as a big deal. Soooo many people will already have a compatible charger (like Satoru Shibata pointed out) and if not, they will be available at retail anyway.

Hey, if it keeps the cost of the 3DSXL down a bit, then it's all good in my opinion.

How can you defend the system? So Nintendo are relying on everyone already having a 3DS, and then not wanting to sell it once they have this version?! It's digusting. It's artificially keeping the cost down and they will piss A LOT of people off when they go to take their new console home and...oh... can't play it, need to buy a separate charger!

I've said this a thousand times. You can't have the 2nd circle pad because there's no way to incorporate the additional 2 shoulder buttons on a handheld device.

I would think it would be pretty easy.

Hmmm interesting redesign...I've been holding off getting a 3DS until I'm in Canada and now this is unveiled. I've always felt that a bigger screen would be beneficial for games like say Zelda OoT where you want to be immersed.

Do regular DS chargers work with 3DS if so the lack of charger is not an issue but when they are still trying to grow the market for 3DS with potentially new owners it does seem like an off mood.

I'd have to hold it and see how it feels before deciding. Also it looks perhaps that tiny bit too big to be carrying around all the time...I dunno I've never acutally seen a DSxl to hold etc...