NEurope
Dyson

3DS XL

The super glossy surface on the 3DS screens was one of my biggest gripes with the system. :shakehead

It's impossible to play dark games on the 3DS in natural light because of that.

Like what?!

Well as a long time iPhone customer i can offer these points

*Flash support - just cos jobs doesn't like it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be on the iphone as a huge amount of the internet uses it still

*When the iphone came out you had a tiny choice of ring tones and message tones, something every other damn phone on the market could customize extensively, it was years before apple caught up despite calls from users sick of hearing the tri tone and everyone in the office having to check their phone

*DRM on itunes... took a long time for you to be able to use what you bought

There the ones that have consistently annoyed me, 2/3 have been solved but really shouldn't have existed from day 1 especially in the case of ringtones

not stopping me getting an iPhone 5 though

Well as a long time iPhone customer i can offer these points

*Flash support - just cos jobs doesn't like it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be on the iphone as a huge amount of the internet uses it still

*When the iphone came out you had a tiny choice of ring tones and message tones, something every other damn phone on the market could customize extensively, it was years before apple caught up despite calls from users sick of hearing the tri tone and everyone in the office having to check their phone

*DRM on itunes... took a long time for you to be able to use what you bought

There the ones that have consistently annoyed me, 2/3 have been solved but really shouldn't have existed from day 1 especially in the case of ringtones

not stopping me getting an iPhone 5 though

But how is that them saying the problems don't exist? They're not problems any more. And mobile flash has been abandoned completely. I'm glad it doesn't support it because it's a fucking mess. I HATE flash, updating it every other week, slowing everything down... it's crap and is being fazed out for a reason!

Anyone fluent in frnech?!

http://www.p-nintendo.com/articles/reportages/exclu-pn-a-teste-la-3ds-xl-232121

I'm going to love then new screens. The 3DS screens are way too small, especially as I have a vita!

But how is that them saying the problems don't exist? They're not problems any more. And mobile flash has been abandoned completely. I'm glad it doesn't support it because it's a fucking mess. I HATE flash, updating it every other week, slowing everything down... it's crap and is being fazed out for a reason!

Exactly i'm not saying they are problems, they were problems, since cube didn't offer any i was offering the ones i've had - had being the operative word

I think that they buried their head in the sand for a few years on the ringtone issue, you have no idea how annoying that was in an office of around 40 people when a phone goes off and 90% of people stop and get out a phone.

Generally apple are better than some companies, if a little arrogant with pricing :blank:

tried reading the french article....i'm worse at french than i thought because i understood about 30 words

Edited by Agent Gibbs

The French article's very positive. They say it feels more comfortable to hold, the buttons and the slide pad feel better, and the 3D looks 'more natural' and 'softer'. Also, in 2D, the viewing angle's wider, the console's lighter than you'd expect, and the overall finish of the pastic looks and feels less cheap than the original 3DS. Overall, it 'buries' the original. The only downside is the sound quality, which they say doesn't sound as good as the original, although this could have been because they were in a noisy room, and it was difficult for them to tell.

4fe9e7c82fc0c0.jpg

4fe9e7c5a75bc2.jpg

That does look rather lovely! Especially the matt black with only a glossy border.

Dammit why isn't Europe getting Black!

What colours are we getting? Silver, Red and Blue?

I can't wait to see a 3DS XL for real. Judging by online images of the system, the screens now have a matte finish too. icon14.gif

It's difficult to tell for sure, but if that is the case then I'm seriously happy about it. :)

The super glossy surface on the 3DS screens was one of my biggest gripes with the system. :shakehead

Yeah, the normal 3DS' screen is so shiny that it doubles as a mirror!

If I can see the game and not my ugly face while playing, I'll be happy :D

4fe9e7c5a75bc2.jpg

WROAH! Soohohooo sexxy! Gimme!

What colours are we getting? Silver, Red and Blue?

They are all black on the inside of the console. The outside of the top screen has either a Silver, Red or Blue colour.

Silver/Black

Red/Black

Blue/Black

I still don't know what colour to get. Seriously though, I want a SINGLE colour throughout like the all-white console in Japan.

Btw that looks so nice, I want it even more now!

Edited by -Dem0-

Hmm in that case I'd prefer to wait for an all black or all white version (not white/black) as well... though don't see that happening soon.

None of the current colour options appeal to me. If only it were region free.

That actually looks pretty nice despite being maaassive.

There's just one thing I do not get (and this applies to both designs of the 3DS). There's space below the A,B,X,Y buttons. No, I'm not going to say a second analog belongs there, that'd be very uncomfortable. Why don't they just move the start and select buttons there? I really don't like their current placement, it feels odd whenever I need to use them.

The Vita has it's analogue sticks low down and I don't think that gets many complaints of being uncomfortable, but then I haven't read into it.

If you moved Start and Select would you also move the home button there too? Because it would look strange as either one long button, or just a single button in the middle.

The Vita has it's analogue sticks low down and I don't think that gets many complaints of being uncomfortable, but then I haven't read into it.

If you moved Start and Select would you also move the home button there too? Because it would look strange as either one long button, or just a single button in the middle.

It's just an opinion with the analog's to be honest. My hand size doesn't go very well with analogs being placed at the bottom of the unit. I played with my PSP quite a lot and I found the analog placement to be incredibly uncomfortable. Granted, the Vita isn't nearly as bad from what I've played, but it's still a little complaint of mine.

I did think the same as you regarding how strange it would look moving the start and select but keeping the home button as well, but I noticed something. With the current 3DS lay out, you'd have to move the power button some where else if they were going to move the start and select button in its place.

But consider the function of both the power button and the home button. You could easily have it as the same button in the 3DS's case. Whilst you're running software, holding the power button down closes the software, giving you a screen that will return you to the home menu or turn of the system. It just seems very odd to me, you could have it as the same button by just removing that screen.

Edit: Not sure if I was entirely clear with that. Here's what I mean

Currently:

Press home: game stays in play but home screen appears

Press power: game closes, options to go to home screen or turn off (holding it for longer does that any way)

With just one button in the middle:

Press: Acts as home button, game is in play, home screen appears.

Hold it down 5 seconds: Turns system off, can be adjusted in system settings if you want the screen that appears with the current power button press.

Edited by Debug Mode

Those screens...

They do look bigger than the actual console itself though :laughing:

Edit: Apparently games look just as good on the XL as the normal mode, unlike DSi XL. 3D is better too supposedly.

Edited by Ike

MK7, KI:U, REVELATIONS, SM3DL, STAR FOX, OOT being played on those screens...

No mention of the 3D sweet-spot though. There's a video in the link BTW.

Source: http://3dstribe.com/news/3ds-xl-screens-viewing-angles/

3DS XL screens sport drastically improved viewing angles

Posted in News on June 26, 2012 7:57 pm by James M

We’re puzzled as to why Nintendo have yet to mention this (perhaps it’s due to the 3D effect having slim viewing angles, and thus Nintendo being afraid of this being a bit of a pointless feature in the eyes of some), but it seems the 3DS XL screens have far wider viewing angles than the regular 3DS (see above!)

The folk at Puissance Nintendo were lucky enough to go hands on with the system, and in their recorded video of the session they had with it, you can clearly see that the colours of both screen barely shift as the cameraman moves around the 3DS XL (as well as the system looking mighty thin!).

And here are the viewing angles you'd see on a regular 3DS. Note the colour shift, particularly prominent on the upper screen (this is showing 3DS Music).

This is quite a welcome change from regular 3DS models, where colours tend to easily shift when the screens are no longer viewed head on.

Perhaps we’re seeing a return of the IPS-like panels in the DSi XL, which had perfect viewing angles. It’d certainly make sense, as we remember that DSi XL was also designed as a sharing console – Nintendo wanted viewers to be able to get in on a player’s DS gaming action.

Those big screens and wide viewing angles allowed for this, and they could allow for the same thing when a 3DS player either has the 3D slider down or is playing DS/Virtual console titles, which, as previously reported, would look fabulous on those larger screens.

The icing on the cake would be for Nintendo to adopt that new (currently in development) screen technology that allows an off centre viewer to see a 2D image whilst the centre viewer still sees a 3D one.

A huge thank you goes to Puissance Nintendo for going hands-on with the 3DS XL to let us know this exciting news.

Edited by madeinbeats

if they do a nice set of colours or a cool limited edition (aka Zelda one for me in Gold) then i'm buying one, the Lack of a CPP puts me off for now, because even though Resident Evil is fine without, MGS3D isn't its just awful without the cpp

MGS3D isn't its just awful without the cpp

Very true. In fact I prefer the controls of the 3DS version (with the cpp of course) over the home console HD collection controls.

From Kotaku (I can't link as I don't have enough posts)

In the recent issue of Japanese game magazine Famitsu, Nintendo revealed that, yes, the 3DS XL will also be getting its own Circle Pad Pro.

I'm seriously considering buying one now! Why do you always do this to me Nintendo? Announce something when I can't afford it! Grr!

Not a big surprise but nice to have confirmation.

I wonder if it'll end up being as big as the Wii U Pad when you add on the CPPXL? :laughing:

Feel better now that's confirmed. Was worried they wouldn't bother. Can't imagine playing RE: Revelations without it.

Feel better now that's confirmed. Was worried they wouldn't bother. Can't imagine playing RE: Revelations without it.

Funny, I much prefer RE: Revelations without it!

MGS3D and KHDDD (after playing the demo) on the other hand...

Funny, I much prefer RE: Revelations without it!

MGS3D and KHDDD (after playing the demo) on the other hand...

without it Resident Evil feels more like the PS0ne games controls and i too like it.

Its a good example of a game that works well with or without the cPP