Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Lego City: Undercover

Retro_Link

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I read about this, the more I keep thinking it's just LEGO Batman 2 but with some gimmicks tacked on, which was meh.

I was really excited for this game but my interest has fizzled out over the months. Maybe when it's cheaper perhaps but I won't be pre-ordering any special edition with a lil Chase McCain LEGO figure.

SO good reviews...but what really got me was that the game has the voices of Adam Buxton and Peter Serafinowicz. I had no idea, hmmmm I'll wait for the inevitable re-release on another console.

It's published worldwide by Nintendo. Not gonna happen.

I know you've already bashed it despite not having read it or even played the game but here is the Edge review.

I have to laugh at people calling them anti-Nintendo though because... well... it really shows where the true bias lies and if you still need a hint, it's not with Edge.

There also seems to be some confusion between the idea of low tech graphics and intentially primitive design. No one has slated the game for the latter as such and there seems to be a feeling that they should have followed through with that concept a bit stronger instead of intentionally limiting it to just people and vehicles - the word itself though seems to combine basic objects/models with a true to life asthetic and it does it no favours when the world itself doesn't have the natural vibrancy as given by previous source materials.

I do refuse to believe that it was ever a design choice to go with poor textures, close range pop up of collectable items, a questionable framerate and low resolution shadow maps. I can only assume they got rid of the awful screen tearing that was evident in almost all the trailers as I've not seen anyone cite that issue in the few reviews I've read.

I think it's plain to see now that the Edge review stands out like a sore thumb and isn't worth a toss. Reviewer must have just got dumped or something.

Edited by madeinbeats
Automerged Doublepost

It's published worldwide by Nintendo. Not gonna happen.

I think it's plain to see now that the Edge review stands out like a sore thumb and isn't worth a toss. Reviewer must have just got dumped or something.

Meh I don't think publisher deals like that are worth anything in this day and age...why not sign over some timed exclusive rights with one of the worlds biggest publishers to get your game out there and share the cost/risk and then use the money to publish later on other formats. Plenty of examples of that practice happening.

Edge's review doesn't stand out completely like a sore thumb, take a look at metacritic and Joystiq's review is only 60.

Meh I don't think publisher deals like that are worth anything in this day and age...why not sign over some timed exclusive rights with one of the worlds biggest publishers to get your game out there and share the cost/risk and then use the money to publish later on other formats. Plenty of examples of that practice happening.

Edge's review doesn't stand out completely like a sore thumb, take a look at metacritic and Joystiq's review is only 60.

You're calling this the first ever Nintendo published game that will go multiplat then? Sure, shit happens, but let's be sensible.

Metacritic isn't the best metric, for the very reason that those two reviews that go against the grain of the vast majority of reviews, can unfairly have a knock on effect and paint a false picture.

Still, it's at 79% so far - for metaceitic that is bloody good and, as I myself anyway predicted, looks like it will level out at an 8'ish/10 game... I'm not sure when an 8/10 became a 'bad' game.

Anyway, it's your call if you want to give any credibility to 2 out of 50 reviews which go off on tangent and wait for it to come to Xbox, just don't hold your breath is all I'd say.

Edited by madeinbeats

It's a shame that reviews have to be scored at the end with numeric values. It's pretty hard to measure what the difference between a 70 out of 100 compared to an 80. I noticed in GT's review that they stopped breaking down their score into gameplay, presentation etc and now just give the single number. GT's review was quite positive but highlights the same issues that were mentioned in the Edge review. Viewing both I get the impression it's a light hearted Sleeping Dogs than GTA.

Edge's review itself doesn't convey a 5/10 though so it might just be Edge trying to grab clicks. Or (less likely), Edge trying to dictate whether or not a developer deserves a bonus based on the Metacritic score.

You're calling this the first ever Nintendo published game that will go multiplat then? Sure, shit happens, but let's be sensible.

Metacritic isn't the best metric, for the very reason that those two reviews that go against the grain of the vast majority of reviews, can unfairly have a knock on effect and paint a false picture.

Still, it's at 79% so far - for metaceitic that is bloody good and, as I myself anyway predicted, looks like it will level out at an 8'ish/10 game... I'm not sure when an 8/10 became a 'bad' game.

Anyway, it's your call if you want to give any credibility to 2 out of 50 reviews which go off on tangent and wait for it to come to Xbox, just don't hold your breath is all I'd say.

What about Perfect Dark and Banjo? They released on Xbox so to say a Nintendo have only ever published exclusives is wrong :P Anyway I still think this will make it out on other platforms at some point and this is nothing more than a timed exclusive. In this day and age third party exclusives very rarely exist unless a lot of money changes hands and really did Nintendo pump that much money for a Lego game.

I think Metacritic does a fine job at what it intends to show a rounded review score of a game. By that notion this game is a 79% which yes as you say isn't a bad game but it's certainly by no means a system seller. I'd also argue that there 6 reviews against the grain as they are the ones below it's Metascore.

nobody in particular just in general. People tend to look a the score and not read the actual reviews. I like the special Edge issues where they dont print the score.

Yes, feels like ages since they last did one. If people actually read the Edge review as well I think they do a pretty good job of justifying their lowly opinion of the game.

What about Perfect Dark and Banjo? They released on Xbox so to say a Nintendo have only ever published exclusives is wrong :P Anyway I still think this will make it out on other platforms at some point and this is nothing more than a timed exclusive. In this day and age third party exclusives very rarely exist unless a lot of money changes hands and really did Nintendo pump that much money for a Lego game.

I think Metacritic does a fine job at what it intends to show a rounded review score of a game. By that notion this game is a 79% which yes as you say isn't a bad game but it's certainly by no means a system seller. I'd also argue that there 6 reviews against the grain as they are the ones below it's Metascore.

Haha, very good on Rareware. I guess Nintendo had Goldeneye legally locked down though.

It's 80 now ;-) 80% is a stand-out game.

So it's 28 positive reviews Vs 6 mixed and 0 negative... I think that's what you call a landslide old boy ;)

This with MH is going to sell systems... we'll have to wait and see how many.

Haha, very good on Rareware. I guess Nintendo had Goldeneye legally locked down though.

It's 80 now ;-) 80% is a stand-out game.

So it's 28 positive reviews Vs 6 mixed and 0 negative... I think that's what you call a landslide old boy ;)

This with MH is going to sell systems... we'll have to wait and see how many.

I think MH will sell systems in Japan potentially...they are crazy about it and sure plenty will double on 3DS and Wii U...not sure about over here. Sure the Wii one was pretty big but are there enough people who loved that and don't already own a Wii U and will now be tempted? As for Lego City: Undercover I'd love to be wrong but I don't see it being that big, I'm sure it will make top 10 charts purely because Wii U owners are starved of decent games. Also for people who play just Nintendo consoles there has been a distinct lack (notice lack not saying there aren't any) of third person open world city-em up's for quite a few generations now!

Aside from all this "arguing" my biggest issue with the game is it's lost multiplayer and that's what has always drawn me to play the Lego games with the missus.

The Miiverse posts from America are flooding in now. Such torture!!

Flame, you need to get away from that and realise TT and Nintendo broke away from the 'norm' with Undercover. It is was it is, and it isn't what it .. ain't.

Edited by madeinbeats

I think more people need to read actual reviews and not just look at the score @ the bottom of the page.

I'm always tempted to just finish my reviews with something along the lines of "the more bored I am by a game, the more alliteration I use. Figure it out yourself". It would be...different.

Was speaking to Mr-Paul as well and he came up with the idea that we score a game by how bad it is (i.e. 10 would awful), see if it made people think.