NEurope

That's what this...

14277760_120926163000.jpg

... is for ;)

Having the Gamepad sitting on my coffee table in-between me and my TV, within easy reach (for using the touch screen), while I use the Wiimote & Chuck for the TV action is boss :awesome:

Yeah, I don't mean actually holding the GamePad is the problem (I'm not Mr. Burns :heh:), I mean it doesn't really seem to be used for anything useful. :hmm:

Every time I've had to switch my attention to the GamePad so far, it's been for something that could easily have been transmitted via the TV and controlled with the Wii Remote. ::shrug:

It just seems to break up the flow of the gameplay for no real reason. :blank:

Am I the only person using the GamePad exclusively?
Probably. :D

What happened, you lose your Wii Remote?

No, I didn't want to "break the flow of the gameplay" :heh:

No, I didn't want to "break the flow of the gameplay" :heh:
Annoying isn't it? :laughing:

Sure as hell wouldn't sacrifice better control for that though. :shakehead

Funny thing here is that you're both wrong here, because it actually comes in very handy when you get multiple characters in the more convoluted stages, without really breaking the flow of the gameplay.

You can use the touch screen to send one of the three characters off on their own with their own Pikmin squad to go somewhere else while you control a different character. Gamepad comes in super handy then as you can see the exact position of each character at any given time (and what the Pikmin are doing), without needing to pause the game to check the map!

It's obviously not integral to playing the game, but it does greatly enhance the experience :)

Funny thing here is that you're both wrong here, because it actually comes in very handy when you get multiple characters in the more convoluted stages, without really breaking the flow of the gameplay.

You can use the touch screen to send one of the three characters off on their own with their own Pikmin squad to go somewhere else while you control a different character. Gamepad comes in super handy then as you can see the exact position of each character at any given time (and what the Pikmin are doing), without needing to pause the game to check the map!

It's obviously not integral to playing the game, but it does greatly enhance the experience :)

See I'm hoping situations like that aren't very frequent, as I'm absolutely terrible at multitasking! :hehe:

I much prefer to control a single captain and Pikmin squad at a time (yeah yeah, doing it wrong, I know :heh:) rather than getting in an epic mess with loads of Pikmin dying off screen somewhere. :laughing:

Anyway, perhaps I'll get used to the GamePad aspects the more I play...

The day/night cycle is kicking my arse. I don't have enough time to explore :(

Am I the only person using the GamePad exclusively?

I think so. I tried it for a while, having not tried the Wii ports and being used to the GameCube controls and all, but I found it to be really clunky. The Wii controls actually saved some of my Pikmin when I nearly left them behind as they would have been too far away to call back with GamePad controls.

The day/night cycle is kicking my arse. I don't have enough time to explore :(

As I said to you on Miiverse, take your time and don't try to do everything at once.

What I tend to do is start from the base and slowly work my way outwards. First I try to get rid of any barriers in the way and build what needs to be built. If there are any enemies around I will then take them out, so i'm ready for the next day. After that I finally go after the goods.

I'm not sure if it's like the other Pikmin games but if it is then enemies will respawn if you leave and come back to that area of the planet. It's why it's best to do what you can on one area before then moving on to the next.

I'm loving it so far. I think i've only put in 7 days worth of time but it's been a joy to play. I still haven't found the Captain yet though...

I loved the little touch of having Olimer's notes scattered around. :D

Ahhhhh do not want to go work today!!

I have loads of flexi time built up so very tempted to take Monday off.

As I said to you on Miiverse, take your time and don't try to do everything at once.

What I tend to do is start from the base and slowly work my way outwards. First I try to get rid of any barriers in the way and build what needs to be built. If there are any enemies around I will then take them out, so i'm ready for the next day. After that I finally go after the goods.

I'm not sure if it's like the other Pikmin games but if it is then enemies will respawn if you leave and come back to that area of the planet. It's why it's best to do what you can on one area before then moving on to the next.

I'm loving it so far. I think i've only put in 7 days worth of time but it's been a joy to play. I still haven't found the Captain yet though...

I loved the little touch of having .....notes scattered around. :D

Problem is, there's a finite amount of fruit and so only a finite amount of days so I feel rushed :/

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Problem is, there's a finite amount of fruit and so only a finite amount of days so I feel rushed :/

You have plenty of time to explore, there is fruit all over the place. Remember you can finish the game getting all the collectibles, which means there must be enough fruit to do that and potter around the areas.

I loved the little touch of having Olimer's notes scattered around. :D
Yeah, nice touch that. :)

There's a lot to love in this game, so many little details and some great humour too.

I'm loving how Brittany is obsessed with food. :laughing:

Yeah, nice touch that. :)

There's a lot to love in this game, so many little details and some great humour too.

I'm loving how Brittany is obsessed with food. :laughing:

Agreed.

I love the little optional conversations you can have while on the ship. Some of them are hilarious. :D

You have plenty of time to explore, there is fruit all over the place. Remember you can finish the game getting all the collectibles, which means there must be enough fruit to do that and potter around the areas.

Still feel the pressure. If the days were like twice the length, I'd feel better

Well mine arrived yesterday along with NSLU. I started playing last night and here are my impressions:

+ The game looks great, all the crying and moaning about the ground textures was for nothing, the game looks AMAZING. I actually feel relaxed playing it and just enjoy exploring because it looks so good

+ The game is clearly a Nintendo game. If you like the Nintendo charm, this has tonnes of it!

+ It is easy to change between the control styles, you don't have to go into the menu or anything, just pick up the controller you want and press a button and that's what you're playing with. It allows a swift and easy change whenever you want it.

+ Wii remote controls are brilliant and are far the best way to play the game. The speed and precision of aiming are excellent.

+ I like the way you can redo the previous day so if you do make an error you can go back and correct it.

+ Off screen play is in there and is great

- I love exploring and dislike the day/night cycle as I want to just spend hours pottering around and seeing everything.

- The gamepad (other than off screen play and a map) doesn't add that much to the game. In fact, it plays second fiddle to the excellent Wii remote controls which suit the game much more than dual stick controls. In fact the return to dual sticks feels like a step backward after the excellent controls in the New Play Control Pikmin games.

Overall, I really like the game and had to stop myself playing it last night as otherwise I would have gone too far into it and I don't want to end up going through it in a day!

I forgot to ask this earlier. Is it possible to swarm the Pikmin like in the original games? On the Cube you would use the C Stick and on the Wii you would press down on the d-pad. I tried pressing various buttons but couldn't get it to work, unless its a move you unlock when you reach the Captain or something?

I forgot to ask this earlier. Is it possible to swarm the Pikmin like in the original games? On the Cube you would use the C Stick and on the Wii you would press down on the d-pad. I tried pressing various buttons but couldn't get it to work, unless its a move you unlock when you reach the Captain or something?

Well

I found a recorder which gave my Pikmin the ability to dodge when I press up, so it stands to reason there are other things like that

Had an email through from Flubit today to say this has been dispatched! Apparently not due til Tuesday but hoping it gets here before so I can check it out on Sunday.

Any word on yours @Fierce_LiNk?

I've heard nothing, brah. :'(

I finished the game with about 25 days worth of fruit spare, and I only got 3/4s of the total fruit available. Calm down bro.

Bah I was going to trade in my physical 3DS copy of Monster Hunter for this today (got MH as a download on my 3DS now :D)...but I left it at home, booo! Pikmin for me tomorrow I think. Also @Ashley I fully intend to use the gamepad as my control method too, shock horror I prefered the GameCube controls to the Wii remote remakes...