NEurope
ReZourceman

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

This is the most glorious piece of entertainment news in the history of reality. I am whelmed.

Sufficiently whelmed?

Huh, what a coincidence. I started watching that show not too long ago (halfway through Season 1). Good to see it renewed.

It's a pretty good series. I didn't really like the (admittedly bold) leap that was made in Season 2 though, and it's probably what killed it.

From what I've read, it's that toy sales were too low to cover the high production costs. Considering how rare high-budget western animated shows tend to be, I'm willing to believe it's a boring reason like that.

Well low interest leads to low toy sales.

Ironically if that's really the kind of thing that killed it, it's probably why they made the change, so they could sell a whole new Season 2 line.

C7nIOXDV4AAD8Ve.jpg

Trailer on Saturday. There's already a teaser floating around for it.

Edit: Here.

Edited by Daft

There's no denying that this is the coolest looking Batman ever put to the silver screen (it's just a shame about the stories thus far)

Joss Whedon To Wrap Up ‘Justice League’ Movie After Snyder Family Tragedy

Zack Snyder and his producer-wife Deborah Snyder have stepped aside from Warner Bros’ Justice League tentpole to deal with a family tragedy, and The Avengers writer-director Joss Whedon has stepped in to wrap up some reshoots and postproduction, a source close to the movie has confirmed to Deadline.

Whedon and Snyder had been collaborating for the past month after the death by suicide of the Snyders’ daughter Autumn. Whedon was already in the studio family, having just inked to direct a Batgirl movie also in Warners’ DC Universe, and the transition is said to be a smooth one as the Snyders felt the toll and wanted to focus on family.

There is no plan at this point to change the November 17 release date. Principal photography wrapped in October.

“In my mind, I thought it was a cathartic thing to go back to work, to just bury myself and see if that was the way through it,” said an emotional Snyder in an interview Monday in his office on the Warner Bros. lot, with Deborah sitting by his side. “The demands of this job are pretty intense. It is all-consuming. And in the last two months, I’ve come to the realization … I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me. They are all having a hard time. I’m having a hard time.”

Sad news and a strange turn of events.

Edited by Daft

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Shazam! will be the next DCEU film in the running, with principal photography set to begin in early 2018, with a release date of 2019 seeming likely. This news comes with Justice League still in post-production and Aquaman in principal photography (the former is due for release November 17th 2017, the latter December 21st 2018), and goes against recent reports that Warner Bros. were awaiting the response of Justice League before commencing with any plans beyond 2018.

It's been known for years now that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson will be portraying the titular character's arch nemesis Black Adam, but the roles of Shazam and Billy Batson have yet to be cast; with principal photography roughly six months away, don't be surprised if we seen both roles officially cast at San Diego Comic Con this weekend.

Rumours of Ben Affleck's unhappiness over at Warner Bros. regarding matters unknown at this time, with the actor rumoured to want out of the Batman role, have been ongoing for around nine months now, and it seems like they've come to a head now [from The Hollywood Reporter]

Ben Affleck is heading to Comic-Con this weekend to promote Warner Bros.’ upcoming Justice League movie, set for a Nov. 17 release. But how many more times is he likely to put on the Batsuit? Probably not many, if ever again.

Yes, Warners’ film studio chief Toby Emmerich tells The Hollywood Reporter, "Ben is our Batman. We love him as Batman. We want to keep him in the cowl as long as we can." And Matt Reeves, who will direct the studio’s still-undated (and unwritten) The Batman, has said that he means to keep Affleck in the role. But a source with knowledge of the situation says that the studio is working on plans to usher out Affleck’s Batman — gracefully, addressing the change in some shape or form in one of the upcoming DC films.

Exactly when and how that might happen has yet to be determined, but it would be wise to bet against Affleck starring in The Batman. He has already stepped away from directing the film and Reeves is dropping the script that Affleck wrote with D.C. Entertainment’s Geoff Johns.

Reeves also has acknowledged that he has a Batman trilogy rolling around in his head, and given his success making two-thirds of a trilogy out of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and War for the Planet of the Apes, it seems fair to anticipate that Warners will want him to realize his vision.

Affleck has also recently dropped out of Netflix project Triple Frontier, so I hope he can work it out as that guy is one heck of a talented dude, both on- and off-screen.

As for the future of the DCEU, this could mean anything, from some Flashpoint-esque ending to Justice League to the Nightwing film being made and ending with him stepping up to the plate as Batman. 

I hope he'll do the Batman film at the very least.. THe DCU has many problems, but I don't think Ben Affleck is one of them, I like him as Batman.

6 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I hope he'll do the Batman film at the very least.. THe DCU has many problems, but I don't think Ben Affleck is one of them, I like him as Batman.

100% agree, he's my favourite live-action version of Bruce Wayne and the most brutal Batman in film to date (though I disagree with just how brutal he was...); rumours lead me to believe that these problems are much more to do with a matter of confidence - having family issues for the last few years as well as his first critically polarising film in Live By Night more than anything else.

24 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

100% agree, he's my favourite live-action version of Bruce Wayne and the most brutal Batman in film to date (though I disagree with just how brutal he was...); rumours lead me to believe that these problems are much more to do with a matter of confidence - having family issues for the last few years as well as his first critically polarising film in Live By Night more than anything else.

I skipped Live by night because I didn't hear good things about it. I usually ignore these, but I didn't this time. Perhaps a shame, as I watch almost anything with Elle Fanning. Anyway, I did love Argo.

New poster for Justice League

3263467-9777921653-

They've just confirmed a slew of new films with logos during their SDCC panel (which I shall post when they become available): SHAZAM, SUICIDE SQUAD 2, THE BATMAN, JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK, FLASHPOINT, WONDER WOMAN 2, GREEN LANTERN CORPS, and BATGIRL.

By far and away, I think it goes without saying, FLASHPOINT is by far the biggest and most important for this cinematic universe's future (and that of the role of Batman).

Let me be clear, Batman is the greatest f--king part in the world. I am thrilled to do it.

Considering the order in which the films were unveiled, it seems like he'll be around for THE BATMAN before potentially being replaced after the events of FLASHPOINT.

Comic-Con sneak peek of Justice League

Edited by Julius Caesar

That poster looks like a group of comic con attendees. I honestly thought it was a spoof at first.

• Like 1

Thought that trailer seemed better than the last. Two things though, I still think movie Flash seems terrible and the Superman talk in that felt like they were talking about a different Superman. Cavill's Superman just wasn't bright/inspiring enough to deserve that kind of talk. You need someone like Reeves Superman for that.

17 minutes ago, bob said:

That poster looks like a group of comic con attendees. I honestly thought it was a spoof at first.

It reminds me a lot of this...

_86352291_bohemianrhapsody.jpg

10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Thought that trailer seemed better than the last. Two things though, I still think movie Flash seems terrible and the Superman talk in that felt like they were talking about a different Superman. Cavill's Superman just wasn't bright/inspiring enough to deserve that kind of talk. You need someone like Reeves Superman for that.

I agree that that trailer was a lot better than the first, especially in terms of the tone being married to the score, there was a good synergy throughout. Shame they had to spell out that Supes is returning, though...everyone already knows that after how BvS ended, so I didn't really get the need for that. I'm still undecided on Flash - and I didn't watch the TV series - and I'm not too sure how to respond to your Superman talk; on one hand, I would argue that we only saw him in action at his most challenging and darkest of times, but then again, it shouldn't be on the audience to imagine him being this beacon that they refer to. Whatever happened to "show don't tell"?

Also, loved the nods to the Green Lantern Corps and The Penguin, I feel like the DCEU is now starting to naturally push these things in.

The text stream I was reading earlier during the panel said that Ezra Miller arrived in a costume, but not something that the journalist recognised (he reckoned it was anime). I then thought about how similar Miller looks to Ryosuke Yamada in-costume as Edward Elric of Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood), who he will portray in the live-action film later this year, and well...