N-Europe

Castlevania: Mirror of Fate

Fused King

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the US is getting a different box to us...

screenshot_294750_thumb_wide620.jpg

Personally, I think theirs looks better. The colours contrast nicely and it's very bold in comparison to the the European one. Ours does have a nice picture but I think it's a bit too muted for boxart.

Dave Cox also recently confirmed the game has gone Gold - something which makes the 2 month wait even more annoying.

Looks like the US is getting a different box to us...

screenshot_294750_thumb_wide620.jpg

Personally, I think theirs looks better. The colours contrast nicely and it's very bold in comparison to the the European one. Ours does have a nice picture but I think it's a bit too muted for boxart.

Dave Cox also recently confirmed the game has gone Gold - something which makes the 2 month wait even more annoying.

Agreed on both counts. It's so annoying that there's a huge drought of retail games up until March and everybody is just sitting on their titles to release them all in March/April!

• 4 weeks later...

Castlevania kicks off March:

22 January, 2013 – Nintendo and Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH have today confirmed that they have entered into a new distribution agreement for the forthcoming game Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate, scheduled for release exclusively on Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL across Europe on 8th March 2013. Under the terms of the agreement Nintendo will be responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of the game throughout European territories and Australia, with Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH remaining as publisher.

In Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate, you take on the roles of multiple characters from the Belmont family across different eras, each of whom has unique abilities and skills. Featuring a deep strategic combat system and a huge array of combos, you will explore immensely detailed levels and encounter enormous boss fights. The action takes place within a unique, atmospheric setting that features high resolution 3D polygon graphics, and side-scrolling areas that segue seamlessly into full 3D battles.

The game takes place 25 years after the events of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and reveals the story of Gabriel Belmont’s descendants, Simon and Trevor Belmont, as they battle their own destiny only to discover their true, shocking fate. Trevor Belmont, a knight of the Brotherhood of Light, sets out to avenge the death of his mother by his father, who has returned from years of exile to take up residence in a mysterious castle. Gabriel Belmont, who is now the powerful vampire Dracula, has declared war upon the Brotherhood and the scene is set for a cataclysmic showdown between father and son.

Of the partnership, Laurent Fischer, Managing Director, Marketing, PR & Distributor Markets at Nintendo of Europe, says, “There is a rich history of Castlevania games launching on Nintendo consoles dating back to the original Castlevania game which launched on the NES in the 80s. We are really proud to be partnering with Konami once again to bring the latest instalment in the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow franchise to Nintendo 3DS.”

Shinji Hirano, the European President of Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH, adds, “Nintendo 3DS is the perfect platform to release the latest instalment in the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow franchise. Because of the console’s unique 3D capabilities and graphical power this will be the best looking portable Castlevania experience ever and will give fans of the series thrilling action on the go.”

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate will be available across Europe on 8th March 2013, exclusively on Nintendo 3DS.

Edited by Ike
Formatting.

• 3 weeks later...
I tried to start Castlevania: Lord's of Shadow on my brother's PS3 last week and it kinda killed whatever interest I had in this game :hmm: I hope it turns out good, but I'm not expecting anything amazing..

I've not played LoS myself though I would like too - wish they'd knock up a PC version since LoS2 is going that way this time.

So whilst my faith in the game is fairly blind, I'm sure it will be rewarded as from what I saw and read, the first LoS seemed to be going in the good direction for a 3D CV. Not full on Classicvania or Metroidvania either, hopefully this will straddle the line quite well as did Iga's PoR. It will be nice for a mix up if anything and it will either prove to be good or make a typical Metroidvania title from Konami Japan all the more appealing.

I tried to start Castlevania: Lord's of Shadow on my brother's PS3 last week and it kinda killed whatever interest I had in this game :hmm: I hope it turns out good, but I'm not expecting anything amazing..

I loved LoS. Game was epic, especially the soundtrack.

Are there ANY new games that you actually like? Seriously, most of your posts are negative when it comes to the newer games. Not having a go, just saying...:hug:

Methinks you should stick to the SNES. :D

Are there ANY new games that you actually like? Seriously, most of your posts are negative when it comes to the newer games. Not having a go, just saying...:hug:

Trust me.. I know more than anyone how negative my posts have been regarding a lot of games lately because I've been feeling that way for a while now and I haven't seen much on the horizon to get me particularly excited about the future :hmm:

I've had some good fun with Nintendo Land recently but there's very little else on Wii U so far that I feel an urge to play. I hope E3 2013 will be the show to grab my attention but the last couple have been so poor that I fear the 'golden age' of gaming is well and truly over.. and that makes me a little sad!

Having said that, it's not that I'm growing out of games or anything as I still get a real buzz from playing something amazing, past or present, but a lot of what comes out these days doesn't strike a chord with me.

It particularly frustrates me when something like FIFA 12 comes out and everyone, including reviewers, rave about how great it is. Then, a year later, FIFA 13 gets released and the reviews go on and on about what was wrong in FIFA 12 and how the new game is amazing, making FIFA 12 feel poor to go back to. In actual fact, it was always poor because the criticisms with the game now were about things that were always there :nono:

Sorry for ragging on FIFA again.. I find it an easy target. There are plenty of other games that are made out to be something that they're simply not :indeed:

Ah well, at least I had a loads of fun improving my scores on Pilotwings 64 this morning :grin:

It particularly frustrates me when something like FIFA 12 comes out and everyone, including reviewers, rave about how great it is. Then, a year later, FIFA 13 gets released and the reviews go on and on about what was wrong in FIFA 12 and how the new game is amazing, making FIFA 12 feel poor to go back to. In actual fact, it was always poor because the criticisms with the game now were about things that were always there :nono:

I'm still playing FIFA 11 when I get the chance. IMO the most enjoyable FIFA game I've played in a long time.

Anyway. The Demo for Castlevania will be availalble to download on the 28th of February for NA & EU.

Nobody played the demo yet. Just downloading it now.

Yeah, had a go earlier. Looks great, pretty deep 3D (a rarity these days), music is so-so by series' standards, jumping/platforming seems disappointingly floaty and not at all sure about the combat. I think I'll have to see a good few glowing write-ups before I buy it. Not bad by any means, just not sure it's my kinda 'vania.

Downloaded the demo earlier, thought it was amazing, its great how many different attack combos are available on the demo, extremely deep 3D as Lens mentioned. Never played a 'Vania game before but ill probably pick this up instead of Monster hunter because i played that demo and it confused me to no end, so many menu screens and items and powerups and weapons and oh my days :hmm:

I was waiting with great anticipation for this demo and it didn't let me down. Having seen the recent spate fo videos online, I wasn't too sure of how it was looking visually as they came across quite pixelated and the textures looked rough. On the 3DS screen though, it's like an entirely different game. The models used for, well everything, are surprisingly detailed given how far back the camera sits naturally as are the textures and it's not until you see the camera zoom in, which it likes to do, that you realise just how good it is. Coupled with the excellent 2D backdrops in the outside sections, you really have one gorgeous looking game that continues to impress throughout the demo. If I were to start nitpicking, dynamic shadows that react to light sources would have been nice but it would take its toll on a framerate that already sits at the lower end of acceptable. Still, all in all, I think it's probably the most visually impressive 3DS game I've seen and edges out games like RE:R and MH3U (though that slick 60fps on MH is very pleasing) in terms of techincal and design aspects.

Gameplay wise, again, very good. I can see why people might feel it's a little floaty but I consider that a necessary evil to allow for a greater degree of aerial combat - Samus in SM is super floaty too for that exact reason but I think they went a little too far with her. A slightly more annoying aspect is that jumping is a fixed height and tapping or holding the jump button makes no difference but I soon got over it.

EDIT: Seems I was wrong about the jumping thing, you do have various jump heights but the timing is incredibly strict, and even the smallest jump sees you reach head height. I certainly don't feel like it's something I could consistently rely on.

I've played through the demo 5 times now and it continues to impress me from the moment you see Trevor standing on the bridge outisde the castle wall (that nod to the classic Castlevania openings of old) with the beautiful intro music right on through to the encounter with the boss that marks its end. The exploration was light but that's more duie to being the confines of a short demo but in term of the set up, it felt like exploring one of the paintings in Portrait of Ruin and that's exactly what I was hoping for.

I can safely say that any lingering doubts have been well and truly vanquished.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Played the demo as well, and, as I expected, I had to play it with a different mindset.

With all the great memories of the DS-Castlevanias and 2 of the 3 GBA Castlevanias (haven't played Circle of the Moon) instilled in me, I had to take a deep breath and start the game with an open mind.

It is, indeed, absolutely beautiful and conveys a different kind of Castlevania which I like.

One remark though: Where was the music? Is it normal to not include that in a demo? or only limited?

If they're taking the route of a more atmospheric type of music, it would definitely remind me of the contrast we had going from the Metroid Prime series to Other M.

Those DS tunes were a big part of what made the game for me in the DS Castlevanias, but I guess, if this is to be more of an atmospheric game, then they'd do well to use music to enhance that and not have out of place compositions just for the heck of it.

I'm also quite impressed by the fighting system. Again, a different mindset was needed, but once I wrapped my head around it, it's really quite bad-ass.

Now I can't wait to play the 1st Lords of Shadow game with a friend on his PS3 after we finally finished Xenoblade after almost 2 years (Level 71, 110 hours, still going strong :laughing:)

Edited by Fused King

I was waiting with great anticipation for this demo and it didn't let me down. Having seen the recent spate fo videos online, I wasn't too sure of how it was looking visually as they came across quite pixelated and the textures looked rough. On the 3DS screen though, it's like an entirely different game. The models used for, well everything, are surprisingly detailed given how far back the camera sits naturally as are the textures and it's not until you see the camera zoom in, which it likes to do, that you realise just how good it is. Coupled with the excellent 2D backdrops in the outside sections, you really have one gorgeous looking game that continues to impress throughout the demo. If I were to start nitpicking, dynamic shadows that react to light sources would have been nice but it would take its toll on a framerate that already sits at the lower end of acceptable. Still, all in all, I think it's probably the most visually impressive 3DS game I've seen and edges out games like RE:R and MH3U (though that slick 60fps on MH is very pleasing) in terms of techincal and design aspects.

Gameplay wise, again, very good. I can see why people might feel it's a little floaty but I consider that a necessary evil to allow for a greater degree of aerial combat - Samus in SM is super floaty too for that exact reason but I think they went a little too far with her. A slightly more annoying aspect is that jumping is a fixed height and tapping or holding the jump button makes no difference but I soon got over it.

I've played through the demo 5 times now and it continues to impress me from the moment you see Trevor standing on the bridge outisde the castle wall (that nod to the classic Castlevania openings of old) with the beautiful intro music right on through to the encounter with the boss that marks its end. The exploration was light but that's more duie to being the confines of a short demo but in term of the set up, it felt like exploring one of the paintings in Portrait of Ruin and that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Completely agree.

I loved the 3 Castlevania's on the DS (never did finish OoE though, will have to go back to one day), and was afraid that this would be just a side scrolling brawler. Yes, there is a hefty amount of combat (which is intuitive and complex), but it still retains the same platform-esque feeling. So, this, unfortunately for my wallet, is another must buy. The demo really sells it well, even if it is too short.

I absolutely adored the demo, definitely going to buy it. The 3d is so good. Like everyone says it looks stunning and the mix of adventuring and combat is great. Hope it has a decent length to it.

The producer David Cox came out in the last ND and said that there will be 20 hours of gameplay in this game. Nice, and going by the demo it looks as if it will have a lot of replay value, too.

Agreed, I actually really enjoyed the demo. The combat works well in 2D space and doesn't seem to really bog the pace of the game down too much like I had feared.

My only concern remaining is the level design. I hope that the full game is much less linear and that it can keep introducing new ideas and concepts throughout to keep the game fresh.

With them bigging up the game length being 20 hours plus, I get that nagging feeling that it's gonna run out of steam halfway through (I hope I'm wrong!)