NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Penguins Approaching. It's Just a Box!

Why would anyone even want Retro Studios to work on Mass Effect?

They're good at taking existing IP's and improving upon them, plus they're really talented with tech. I quite simply think that the improvements would be much more substantial than if BW were to make the remake themselves.

ME is to me the one franchise that will make the current console generation memorable. As a matter of fact, I think the ME games are among the best if not actually THE best of the last ten years. And in Retro Studios skilled hands, they can be the absolute best once again.

They're good at taking existing IP's and improving upon them, plus they're really talented with tech. I quite simply think that the improvements would be much more substantial than if BW were to make the remake themselves.

ME is to me the one franchise that will make the current console generation memorable. As a matter of fact, I think the ME games are among the best if not actually THE best of the last ten years. And in Retro Studios skilled hands, they can be the absolute best once again.

I agree that Mass Effect is probably going to be the game which defines the current generation. I personally see it as the Star Wars of the time.

But saying that 'Retro Studios is talented with tech' isn't really a reason. They have no prior work with Unreal Engine 3 to base that on and have really only released games working with two different engines (assuming DKC Returns isn't spawned from the Prime codebase). As much as I love the Metroid Prime series, Retro Studios are no Bioware and probably never will be.

Also, we don't want to get into remaking games which are less than 5 years old. It's bad enough with the recent Halo remake.

Why would anyone even want Retro Studios to work on Mass Effect?

Couldn't agree more. What a waste of time for Retro.

At most, ME1 needs the controls remade to be remade for Wii U. The idea of graphically improving a game that, to 90% of the people play games, looks amazing already is just money down the drain.

As great as Mass Effect is, getting Retro Studios to remake/port it over to the WiiU is a massive waste of their talent. They need to be creating new games and pushing the boundaries for that genre. They don't need to be moving over already great games. Get somebody else to do that.

Even then, would people buy it? I'm not convinced. Timing is important, and if people really wanted to play Mass Effect that badly by now, they would have already.

If the Mass Effect Trilogy was ported to Wii U with minimal new features, I probably would buy it again.

If the Mass Effect Trilogy was ported to Wii U with minimal new features, I probably would buy it again.

If we're talking about all three games, with significant (positive) changes, then it's more worthwhile. A remake of just the first game, I would have to say no.

I envision an F-Zero game made by Retro studios with a futuristic overworld á la GTA (of which we got to see glimpses in the cutscenes of GX) where Captain Falcon can finally spread his bounty hunting wings for a change.

Of course, the racing will be the main feature of the game, but you also get to walk around with the Captain and do some other stuff here and there.

In any case, I'd say the F-Zero universe really has potential into becoming an awesome, vivid world with lots of characters and such.

Also, I heard that someone from Retro Studios has said something like: 'We're working on a game with a different kind of barrel roll than Donkey Kong Country'.

Has anybody heard about this?

I certainly cannot recall this, because there'd probably be articles up the ass about what Retro could do with the Star Fox franchise.

I think it would be a great move if Retro did a Star Fox game. It would be interesting to see what they could bring to the mix. The platformer element didn't work too well for RARE (although it was shoehorned into Dinosaur Planet) so a Mass Effect-alike outing would be stunning if done correctly.

Just bring back the Jim Henson-esque designs and make a Dark Crystal-type looking game and I'll die happy.

In all seriousness though, Retro are the 'IN' second party at the moment but I'm hoping we see some excellent titles from Next Level and Monster Games as well. They should be able to provide some stunning HD graphics/titles considering their Wii output was rock-solid.

Couldn't agree more. What a waste of time for Retro.

At most, ME1 needs the controls remade to be remade for Wii U. The idea of graphically improving a game that, to 90% of the people play games, looks amazing already is just money down the drain.

Go back and look at ME1.

Many of the surroundings lack detail, the combat system is poor, the Mako controls are a mess, the planet surfaces feel barren and cheap (with plenty of cloned out buildings), the framerate isn't consistent, the loot system doesen't work, textures load in and out during gameplay like crazy, none of the weapons have any uniqueness to them... These were flaws that people saw in 2007. Now they can also compare the graphics to ME3 and see that the difference is staggering.

It all sums up to a quite broken, but still fun game.

Regarding that Retro haven't used the Unreal engine... Who says the remake needs to use the same game engine?

Regarding that it's too soon for a Remake. The original Mass Effect is five years old now. When MGS: Twin Snakes came out, the original MGS was somewhere around seven years old. Give Retro the time they'll need, and ME1 will be about as old when the remake of that gets released.

New 'body is ready' interpretation inbound..

wUhSi.png

HOLY SHIT LOL! KuGsj.gif

That's just terrifying.

1.Predicting the MEGATONS of NINTENDO's E3 2012 conference

1: Eternal Darkness 2 announced for Wii U - I wouldn't say it's outrageous...

2: A new F-Zero announced for Wii U.... AND 3DS! - Following in SSB4's footsteps... (maybe co-developed by another team. Either Q-Games, Platinum or a team from Tecmo Koei)

3: Gamecube, Sega Saturn and Dreamcast games added to Wii U VC and are all running in HD - Bit of an obvious one really. Nintendo always upres their emulated games whenever possible.

4: Zelda 3DS unveiled, a hybrid 3D-2D game - Top screen shows an OoT style 3D view, while the touch screen features 2D top down sprites. Some sections of the game take place from a sidescrolling perspective ALA Zelda 2.

5: NSMB Mii is shown off and it links to NSMB2 somehow - Be it data transfer or something crazy like having 2 players play each separate game simultaneously and stuff that happens in one game affects the other!

2.Outrageous claims

1: MACH RIDER UNCHAINED!!!! Announced for 3DS, made by NST

2: Virtual Console localisation programme - Nintendo goes back and gives all of those retro JPN only games the Monster World 4 VC treatment. Full localisations for the entire 1st half Fire Emblem series, Mother 3, Marvelous, Seiken Densetsu 3 etc

3.Predicting the aftermath

1: Fire Emblem Awakening announced for US release - It'll appear as an afternote on their website, quietly tucked away in a corner

2: SSB4 Teaser Trailer shown - Just a CG trailer that hints at a few of the connectivity stuff and a few new characters/game mechanics. No actual ingame gameplay shown.

Edited by Dcubed

Go back and look at ME1.

A update to the ME3 engine/graphics, made by Bioware, would be more than enough. And it would need to happen with the other two (or the other two following shortly).

I predict Donkey Kong Country 3D :D

i would love to see a new advance wars

Edited by yesteryeargames

I predict Donkey Kong Country 3D :D

Just as long as it's more like the original trilogy and less like Returns. :D

Go back and look at ME1.

Many of the surroundings lack detail, the combat system is poor, the Mako controls are a mess, the planet surfaces feel barren and cheap (with plenty of cloned out buildings), the framerate isn't consistent, the loot system doesen't work, textures load in and out during gameplay like crazy, none of the weapons have any uniqueness to them... These were flaws that people saw in 2007. Now they can also compare the graphics to ME3 and see that the difference is staggering.

It all sums up to a quite broken, but still fun game.

Regarding that Retro haven't used the Unreal engine... Who says the remake needs to use the same game engine?

Regarding that it's too soon for a Remake. The original Mass Effect is five years old now. When MGS: Twin Snakes came out, the original MGS was somewhere around seven years old. Give Retro the time they'll need, and ME1 will be about as old when the remake of that gets released.

The original Mass Effect is far from a 'broken game'. I played it prior to the 3rd game and it was perfectly fine; just as good as I remember it. Yes, the engine has been polished so there's less loading in of textures but other than that, it still looks great from both a technical and art design stand point and still plays well (it's just the inventory management that's annoying).

It's a moot point really anyway as Microsoft published the first game so there's no chance of it turning up on the Wii U if it didn't turn up on the PS3. If Mass Effect is going to come to the Wii U, it's liable to be a package with the 2nd and 3rd games along with the interactive comic to generate your choices for the 1st game.

Absolutely no reason Retro would, or should, be given the game to work on for a remake. Bioware has enough studios to do it themselves and even if they didn't, EA could easily hand it off to one of their other studios to do (which I very much doubt they'd ever do with the Mass Effect license). So let's put this nonsense idea of Retro Studios remaking the first Mass Effect to bed as it's just ridiculous on every conceivable level.

I wouldn't want to see Retro tainted with Bioware's shit anyway. They're too good for Mass Effect (or any of Bioware/EA's IP)

I have only read the first post, and just wish to say that I want Iwata's jacket.

I wouldn't want to see Retro tainted with Bioware's shit anyway. They're too good for Mass Effect (or any of Bioware/EA's IP)

Now, now! Now you listen on here, ME is a really interesting game and the story is quite super good!

Personally speaking, though, when I play a 'GAME', I'm after 'FUN', so I'd personally prefer if ME, gameplay-wise (story's brill), was 'kind of' like Mass Effect/Halo sort of. But I do understand why certain games present the atmosphere etc the way they do, though - to make the journey/adventure in whatever story universe seem convincing etc.

But the game's a good, good game!! :D

Mass Effect is probably the best franchise of the current generation. While I am a die hard Nintendo fanboy, I think that the Wii has nothing on par with Mass Effect. And I'm not in any way basing that on graphics.

All three games have their flaws, and I think that Retro Studios will do a much better job at adapting the game for the new features of the Wii U than EA/BW ever will. Just look at how "well" BW incorporated the Kinect into ME3.

Edited by darkjak

Then they could make a new entry or spinoff instead of working with a pre-existing game...?

I haven't played ME, but the thought of telling a developer to remake a current-gen game (trilogy, in this case) in their terms doesn't sound productive in the least.

Make a game in the same genre, "in-the-style-of", maybe even make an entirely new entry in that series, but literally remake the same game? And the Twin Snakes comparison you made holds little water, the difference in power between the Cube and the PS1 is staggering, the difference between current-gen and current-gen isn't.

Then they could make a new entry or spinoff instead of working with a pre-existing game...?

I haven't played ME, but the thought of telling a developer to remake a current-gen game (trilogy, in this case) in their terms doesn't sound productive in the least.

Make a game in the same genre, "in-the-style-of", maybe even make an entirely new entry in that series, but literally remake the same game? And the Twin Snakes comparison you made holds little water, the difference in power between the Cube and the PS1 is staggering, the difference between current-gen and current-gen isn't.

I can agree that it would be interresting to see Retro do something all new.

But the Wii U is according to EA a true next gen console. Not only that: ME1 wasn't all that optimised. I'm not saying that it's ugly: when it was new it was perhaps the best looking game of the time. But now ME3 has shown what you can do with the current hardware. The difference between the original ME1 and the Wii U version could, if done by someone whom makes sure to use the new consoles power properly, be absolutely staggering.

Just look at what a bunch of modders did to ME3, just by throwing in some high res textures:

NlZrC.jpg

Say what now?

Ooops, fixed :)

I really am expecting to see some amazing stuff this year. Iwata says that Nintendo have realised that it's necessary to please gamers to make a profit. And we haven't heard a peep from Retro since they made DKC Returns. Regardless if they're making Starfox, Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect (which I do realise is completely unrealistic, although I'll maintain my oppinion that it'd be a match made in heaven) or a brand new IP, I'm sure I'll be weeping with joy when I see it.

But I'm also dead scared that Nintendo will fail again, and show us how the Tablet has a built in balance board feature for doing your yoga, or that the Vitality Sensor is hard wired into it, and completely compulsory for all games. Or they yet again will fail to show exclusive content that will please the core.

Edited by darkjak

Predicting the MEGATONS of NINTENDO's E3 2012 conference

1) The name for the Wii U changes. It becomes the Nintendo U

2) Along with titles such as Pikmin, Footage of Mario Galaxy 3 is shown.

3) A tech demo of SSB4 is shown for both the 3ds and the U. Mii's are now playable characters. Some in game characters are revealed

4) 3DS Software lineup is revealed. A new F-Zero, Pokemon, Banjo Kazooie and the new LOZ game which is a new game but follows the Engine to OOT and MM

2.Outrageous claims

1) Show ends with HD LOZ Trailer on the U which will probably come out in 2014

2) Cammie Dunnaway is re-hired and presents the conference and does a good job of it.

Edited by ssj

Predicting the MEGATONS of NINTENDO's E3 2012 conference

1) The name for the Wii U changes. It becomes the Nintendo U

Dude, step off. And that goes for all of you! Name's not changing. I'd wager my virginity with a random, one-bosomed, hot chick on it.

3) A tech demo of SSB4 is shown for both the 3ds and the U. Mii's are now playable characters.

That's a want! I also want Miis to take part is numerous games, like in F-zer0 (design and personalise your own ship and costume etc). Or even in Zelda, to make the hero more me-ified (or mii-ify Link :D ) so it feels even more like it's mii on the adventure and each Link on Wiiu's look different... perhaps you could warp over to friends' universes for some good-ol' co-op while seeing eachothers goofy heroic faces :laughing:

Other games too!! Mind you, Mii's would potentially kill and take over Nintendo :eek:

4) 3DS Software lineup is revealed. A new F-Zero, Pokemon, Banjo Kazooie and the new LOZ game which is a new game but follows the Engine to OOT and MM

Leave such engines or graphic styles for the home consoles. Dump the skatoony styles on the handhelds. Though once in a while (after we're super satisfied by a serious style) let us home console owners taste that style too. :)

2.Outrageous claims

2) Cammie Dunnaway is re-hired and presents the conference and does a good job of it.

:laughing: LMFAO :laughing: LOL :laughing: LMFBO :laughing: LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ

Say what now?

Nah I do see your point, for I adore this here game. However, that's some asian myth :laughing: Fair enough, "myths are born from truths" but Mass Effects Scifi/fantasy story is more of a metaphoric reality. Hmm gameplay-wise.... Phuckit, they're in a league of their own. :confused:

I do need to get around to playing teh Okamiden version on my cousins Ds

Edited by Beverage

MEGATONS

• Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS
  • New Mario game closer to Mario 64's gameplay then Galaxy.
  • F-zero Wii U, being made by Sega like F-zero GX
  • Huge list of third party games for the Wii U, GTA V, RE6, SFxTekken, CoD
  • Valve announce full support, bringing Dota 2, CS:GO, Left 4 dead 2 and Portal 1 & 2 plus map maker to the Wii U.
  • Zelda LTTP remake
  • Luigi's Mansion now a Wii U game

Outrageous claims

• Virtual Boy games remade in colour coming to 3DS's virtual console.
  • The Return of R.O.B
    robgyromite.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Aftermath

Going to steal one from Cube:

- Backlash from the conference will convince Nintendo to reveal the Wii U's price.

Edited by Helmsly

There be some legendary pre-E3 hype going down at neogaf, check this out:

e32vzym.gif

Genius. :laughing: