NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Penguins Approaching. It's Just a Box!

Am I really the only one bored into a coma by the idea of Retro doing a remake of anything?

Am I really the only one bored into a coma by the idea of Retro doing a remake of anything?

I get where you're coming from, although it's 50/50 with me.

I want just as much to be given new experiences and franchises as I want to see old franchises in a new setting etc...

Still, when it comes to Retro, I'd really like to see them create their own IP.

Not a '10-year-planned' IP, but something fresh.

Yes! Yes, you are! You'd better not watch E3 then, unless of course you like comas, that is.

Definitely not just you. I love the Metroid Prime series and I've enjoyed the little I've played of Donkey Kong Country Returns but surely their talent should be spent on new games!

I am totally with you on this one. It's a complete waste of time and talent. There is only one game that I think justifies a remake and that is Metroid II. Everything else is such a low priority. We need new IPs, new games. I was looking at videos of Odama the other day and kicking myself that I never played it. If that type of game were released on the Wii brand new tomorrow, I would eat it up. We need "the next Pikmin."

If anyone is going the Majora's Mask remake it'll be Grezzo, they seem to be the go to guys for Zelda remakes at the moment.

I have no problem with remakes per se, as you've probably realised already.

But I just don't know what would be the point with a MM remake. Unlike let's say ME1, the game isn't really broken in any way. There would be the obvious improved graphics. But then what? Motion controls? Still not enough. Voice acting?

I could see MM getting a 3DS remake like Ocarina of Time. But that's it.

As I've previously stated though:

Nintendo GT

What better way to say "Let's get those core gamers" than a sweet GT-killer?

They better have Koenigseggs

downloadwt7.jpg

So, guys, could it be safe to assume that the Vitality Sensor idea has been scrapped? Were Nintendo just demonstrating to the public the wavelength that they like their ideas to be on? Or could it be apart of some Wiiu Fit game (or other health based) games? There's no way that that thing could be an actual controller, right? Or is there?

I think it will happen at some point, but I think it will be a much more sensible wrist strap based device.

Hopefully they took the hint and scrapped it.

Iwatas recent claim seems to indicate that they really have put an effort into presenting some really good games, rather than gimmicky fitness peripherals and plastic shells.

I don't want to see a plastic shelled labeled as a Zapper, with no stock and the trigger in the wrong place. If they announce a Wii U wheel, it better be something like:

xlarge_37a2189c9b97649e2d7e5d0c49b6b987.jpg

If they're going to announce a music game, I hope it'll be more like Donkey Konga than Wii Music. As a matter of fact, I hope that Nintendo don't announce a sequel or derivative to any game which had the word "Wii" in it (except Mario Kart Wii).

No, clobber all us doubters into submission with an iron fist full of true, quality games.

Whilst I very much hope Grezzo produces a remake of Majora's Mask for the 3DS in the same superb style they did OOT, I suspect the best route for Zelda on home consoles from now on may be the "high-quality emulation/HD-boosted" route. Sorry to bring it up again. :heh: Just to clarify, what I mean is that the best version of Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask may well be the N64 versions as they were, but with these adjustments:

* Improved resolution (1080p)

* Improved framerate (60fps)

* Better textures

* 16:9 Widescreen (but it has to be extra at the sides, not cropped)

* Rumble (which the 3DS doesn't have)

* Traditional controller (again, the 3DS doesn't feel quite as good in the hands and the N64/GameCube pad)

In other words, things that would require a certain amount of attention, but no polygonal adjustment or extra dungeons.

Just think of how more complex (i.e. requiring many different items) puzzles could be by simply having all the items at your disposal on the controller screen.

Also, if they did do a Majora's Mask, it would be great if they could remove the cut-scene for putting on the main masks - tapping a button on the controller and transforming into a Scrub/Goron/Zora in mid-movement would be amazing.

Edited by Cube

I quite liked the cutscene, although fair enough after seeing it a couple of hundred times maybe it did get old.

If they're going to remake a Zelda on a home console, it will most likely be Wind Waker. Most of the HD assets are already in place and it will look even more stunning in HD. Porting Majora's Mask to HD will involve far more work, and anyway they've set a precedent with the 3DS, so that's where it will most likely go, assuming it ever gets made.

I quite liked the cutscene, although fair enough after seeing it a couple of hundred times maybe it did get old.

If they're going to remake a Zelda on a home console, it will most likely be Wind Waker. Most of the HD assets are already in place and it will look even more stunning in HD. Porting Majora's Mask to HD will involve far more work, and anyway they've set a precedent with the 3DS, so that's where it will most likely go, assuming it ever gets made.

I think WW is far too recent for a full on remake. The graphics are fine as is and whilst the increased resolution would be nice, it's fortunate enough that the game still gets by on it's looks with tech from 2001. Plus, isn't it their intention to have GC games for download anyway on the new e-shop?

Zelda doesn't need any remakes purely for the fact that the series hasn't really moved on very far in it's 25 year history.

Miyamoto has constantly hinted, as of late, about wanting to do a remake of A Link to the Past... though some would argue OoT was well on it's way there already and that TP was the second attempt. Now whether that is just on the 3DS or a full home console version, I don't know. And whilst I would snap his hand off for it, it is the best Zelda after all, I don't think it's the right direction for the series to be going in.

Motion control has added very little to the series, I personally find it's a step back, and given the now tablet controller, the controls will much more traditional - I suspect the touch screen will be used purely for item selection and as a map for annotating like in the DS games. And CDi games aside, it's not like any of them were fundamentally broken or really held back by the technology. For better or worse, the Zelda games that Nintendo have released have been the games they wanted to release from the beginning of the project.

There has to be a reason to justify a remake and a chopped dungeon or two in WW isn't enough in my book.

Zelda is the series where Nintendo can let their imaginations go wild in relation to the tools Link uses. They will then build the game around these ideas as usual.

With the controller I can't wait to see what they do with it. Items like the Eye of Truth/bow/catapult may work as expected if featured, but it will be the surprising items which will be of interest and possibly define the entire title.

A top-down perspective may enable a lot of Nintendo's DS ideas to translate into a home console outing so it will be interesting to see which direction they take. Would investors want another 'WW' situation where the backlash was massive and the 'hardcore' truly kicked off? Maybe not if this console is all about U (the core gamer).

Zelda on WiiU should be something very special indeed.

Here's a thought:

The WiiUpad is a mask and you have to bring it close up to your face in order to put on the mask and transform.

Arguably, no game really needs a remake unless it ran badly in the first place. Even in those circumstances, "enhanced emulation" can be more effective. Ocarina of Time on the N64, for instance, is only dated by its low resolution and juddery framerate, but I remember vividly both those things were noticeable in 1998. Then, just as now, you soon get used to them and see the great game beneath.

With the Wii U, we will have the hardware to run a perfectly cleaned-up version (1080p and 60fps) of OOT or MM, whereas if they did a full remake with more detailed graphics, they may not be able to achieve that. In this regard, a very sophisticated emulator (by this I mean the Wii U's Virtual Console, which will hopefully fit the bill) may be the best option.

On the other hand, I'm contradicting myself because a true remake can be a thing of joy. OOT 3D springs to mind, finally with character models that look like the artwork! Or the superb Metroid: Zero Mission, which infuses the NES original with all the charm of SNES-type bells & whistles. Remakes, then, are a rare treat but will always be selected very carefully.

Isn't Zero Mission a remake in plot only? The original had no Chozo or Stealth subplots, the maps are completely remade, the boss fights are completely different, there are upgrades that would be completely unthinkable in the first game...

Zero Mission is great, but don't compare it to OoT 3D. The latter is a (heavily) upgraded rerelease, the former is a remake in the most literal sense of the word.

Either way, why are we talking remakes? I'd rather see them show the capabilities of the U tablet with new stuff before they announce another New Play Control line-up.

With the Link to the Past remake thing, does anyone know if Miyamoto means N64 3D or 3DS 3D?

With the Link to the Past remake thing, does anyone know if Miyamoto means N64 3D or 3DS 3D?

I suspect that it'll see a 3D Classics remake at some point. Considering that it made the SNES' Parallax Scrolling such an integral part of the game's design, with its multilayered dungeons and environments, it's one of THE most obvious choices for a 3D Classics release out of Nintendo's entire 2D catalogue.

That being said, it would still be a huge scale remake (the game would have to be remade from scratch, using 2D graphics as textures on 3D polygons after all!) and there's no way that they'd release it at the same kind of price point as past 3DC releases. If it happens, I'd expect it to be around £12-15 on the eShop.

Edited by Dcubed

Zero Mission is great, but don't compare it to OoT 3D. The latter is a (heavily) upgraded rerelease, the former is a remake in the most literal sense of the word.

Either way, why are we talking remakes? I'd rather see them show the capabilities of the U tablet with new stuff before they announce another New Play Control line-up.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D has been (heavily) upgraded? I don't think that was you say is false, but I imagined that the only adjustments were the addition of glassesless 3D and perhaps blur effects to smooth out the visuals (and maybe other teeny things regarding gameplay [weapon selections etc]). Since I don't have a 3DS and I'm still doubtful that I ever will have one, may you please enlighten me on the pimpage that has been done to OoT on the 3DS?

@Wiimake-dUdes, although I appreciate your speculative imaginations on the topic, which indeed is relative to E3, there's another thread for such discussion. It'd be even more appreciated if you guys could discuss more new possible projects that may or may not see the light of day. : peace:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D has been (heavily) upgraded? I don't think that was you say is false, but I imagined that the only adjustments were the addition of glassesless 3D and perhaps blur effects to smooth out the visuals (and maybe other teeny things regarding gameplay [weapon selections etc]). Since I don't have a 3DS and I'm still doubtful that I ever will have one, may you please enlighten me on the pimpage that has been done to OoT on the 3DS?

I know about as much as you do.

An updated rerelease is something like Resident Evil 4 on the PS2 or Chrono Trigger on the DS, where it's the same game with a few extras and/or minor gameplay changes.

OoT 3D is essentially the same thing, but since the upgrade included such a big graphics rehaul, I said it was "heavy" (I'd also call the Wii version of RE4 and the NPC games "heavily upgraded", as changing the entire control setup is very substantial, too).

Of course, I won't be splitting hairs here, calling it that or a remake is the same thing, I was just describing what kind of remake it was. All of this in contrast to Zero Mission, which is essentially an entirely new game made from scratch.

Just added all your predictions to the original post, and man did get a few visits from lumberjacks during that time to cut down my wood.

Someone predicted an Ice Climber game as something silly, but I think that that could be a kick-ass co-op game. Developed by Good-Feel perhaps, with a graphical twists and whatnot.

The hype has enveloped me and now I can't help but be majorly dissapointed if one of the following doesn't show up:

- New Okami

- New F-Zero

- New Star Fox

- New Mario & Luigi on WiiU

- New Advance Wars on WiiU

- New Metroid

- Smash Bros. teasers

- 5 new IPs

- Zelda surprises

Edit:

AND GIVE ME MORE OF THIS GUY!

Ghost.Trick.Sissel.3c97e2aaa71a3cd897a5ca4adbbe7a3e.jpg

@Wiimake-dUdes, although I appreciate your speculative imaginations on the topic, which indeed is relative to E3, there's another thread for such discussion. It'd be even more appreciated if you guys could discuss more new possible projects that may or may not see the light of day. : peace:

Blur effects? The graphics were massively improved. New models, new textures, new lighting effects, a lot more detail.

Just added all your predictions to the original post, and man did get a few visits from lumberjacks during that time to cut down my wood.

Someone predicted an Ice Climber game as something silly, but I think that that could be a kick-ass co-op game. Developed by Good-Feel perhaps, with a graphical twists and whatnot.

The hype has enveloped me and now I can't help but be majorly dissapointed if one of the following doesn't show up:

- New Okami

- New F-Zero

- New Star Fox

- New Mario & Luigi on WiiU

- New Advance Wars on WiiU

- New Metroid

- Smash Bros. teasers

- 5 new IPs

- Zelda surprises

Edit:

AND GIVE ME MORE OF THIS GUY!

Ghost.Trick.Sissel.3c97e2aaa71a3cd897a5ca4adbbe7a3e.jpg

WOAAHHHHH!!!!! A whopping five new I.PEESH? Lol somebody's pushing it.

Is pressing an hand-sized button on his buttocks a requirement for that special move?... To divert his farting force to his right hand?

Blur effects? The graphics were massively improved. New models, new textures, new lighting effects, a lot more detail.

Yeah I totally forgot about that, my mistake. I even remember hearing talks about certain original atmospheric elements being erased to keep these new visual effects to look fresh and polished. Still, I don't personally think that one, two, little modifications such as a-not-too-extreme graphic overhaul and/or a different control method, or even an added level or whatever is a dramatic revision. But like Jonnas said, it's just personal point of views so point taken. :bowdown: