NEurope
bryanee

New Super Mario Bros 2

Thrilled the Reznor is back from SMW, great retro boss.

That new trailer recently posted looked great as well, and I was a huge skeptic of the game. The first two levels especially, finally something new looking and not rehashed!

NSMB2 is looking good! since my brother is also going to get it, where set to have some serious co-op laughs.

also that all-white 3DS XL... those Japs man, those Japs.

The new footage that actually has some hint of originality is definitely making the game more attractive

Has anyone seen what the map/level select screen looks like? I'm expecting the exact same thing as the first NSMB but you never know....

Looks better and better the more i see,

That white Xl tho :( dam you japan yet again

Buy a 3DS XL from Europe and a 3DS LL from Japan.

Open both up. Move the hardware from the European one into the Japanese case and the Japanese one into the European case.

Seal them back up.

Sell the EU one on eBay and laugh at the people

Job done :p

The new footage that actually has some hint of originality is definitely making the game more attractive

Has anyone seen what the map/level select screen looks like? I'm expecting the exact same thing as the first NSMB but you never know....

Yeah, the official Japanese site has an interactive bit of the World 1 map

img_map.jpg

Is that what you did @Serebii? in the past, for a JP 3DS or a DSi/XL etc.

Edited by -Dem0-

Pretty hyped for this now, especially as I haven't played a 5* 3DS retail game since Rhythm Thief - Mario Tennis Open and Theatrhythm were disappointing, and I cancelled pre-orders for Heroes of Ruin and Kingdom Hearts after reading some reviews.

Love the choir singing the NSMB theme in that advert. It better be in the game!

Predictable, boring, safe, rehashed map. But at least it seems to have a nice rough paper texture effect

I just saw this picture:

worldwide_coin_total_nsmb2.jpg

Suggests that you might be able to change the controls.

I just saw this picture:

worldwide_coin_total_nsmb2.jpg

Suggests that you might be able to change the controls.

YES! :yay:

Thank the Lord.

That was my one and only issue with SM3dL.

:bouncy:

Same here. It almost stopped me from fully completing the game! :o

Glad to know it wasn't just me that had the issue though. :hug: And that Nintendo have included the option for old-school controls in NSMB2. :)

I am looking forward to this game dont get me wrong but isnt anyone concerned that the game is going to be just too easy?

Little bit more detail about the download cards...

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31129

Prices at Seven-Eleven are 4,480 yen (4,800 yen is the full retail price) for New Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3,580 yen (3,800 yen is the full retail price) for Oni Training. There are no prices listed for the other outlets. Although the download cards can be purchased early at some retailers, they will not be usable until July 28 at 9 a.m...

The cards also reveal the download sizes for both games. New Super Mario Bros. 2 will take up 2,950 blocks (370 MB) and Oni Training will take up 1,600 blocks (200 MB). Each card will also have an expiration date of 150 days after the day of purchase.

So 7-11 are offering a 7% discount on the DD version. I wonder if we'll see bigger discounts offered elsewhere?

Hmm, 9am? The recent eShop offerings have been up at 7am...wonder why they've changed it

Hope all future games from Nintendo are like this. Don't want to have to deal with shipping times for getting Pokémon games anymore

I've read that US buyers a being given twice as many Club Nintendo Coins (or something, which I'm guessing is there version of Star Points) as an incentive for buying the digital download version. 100 instead of 50.

Any news on whether it'll be the same here?

Nothing so far, but Nintendo have done this for both JP & NA, I think we may also get some incentives to download this from the eShop and yeah the 'Coin' system is the equivalent to our 'Stars' system over here.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid like the sweet, sweet voices keep telling me, but is it a coincidence that Wario Land 2 is getting a release on VC now? Both games have a heavy emphasis on coin-collecting. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, though.

Still, it's a nice warm-up for the money-grabbing antics that'l follow. Pretty, pretty coins...

The NSMB2 Iwata Asks http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/nsmb2/0/0 is out now and there's more than a few bombshells in this one! :o

Turns out that it's not being developed soelly by EAD, but in fact it's actually developed by people from all over Nintendo, as part of a new initiative called the Mario Cram School (where staff from all over Nintendo departments are taught about 2D Mario level design)

Iwata: When you say the team that researches course development, you're talking about what is called the Mario Cram School.

Amano: Yeah. The Software Development Department of the Entertainment Analysis & Development Division (EAD) has always made the classic side-scrolling Super Mario games, but this time, there was an opportunity where (Takashi) Tezuka-san gathered people not only from EAD, but also from the Software Planning & Development Department, and from other departments to explain how to make Super Mario stages. I was also involved with it as one of the students.

Iwata: Why did the Mario Cram School begin?

Amano: I heard Tezuka-san believes that the course design plays a key role in determining the fundamental elements of 2D Mario games, so he opened the cram school in hopes to spread that knowledge across others within the company. Alongside Tezuka-san, (Toshihiko) Nakago-san was also deeply involved with this project.

In addition, the Super Mario 3D Land team helped out with development (particularly with the S3D effect and the use of Bokeh Depth of Field - yes it works in real time and can be adjusted with the 3D slider; the backgrounds aren't just pre-rendered as blurry!)

The DLC (which they make a point to note that they haven't started on any DLC courses yet), will be developed as part of the Mario Cram School (meaning that we could theoretically get levels made by staff from Retro Studios, Intelligent Systems, HAL or even Monolith Soft!)

Development also started in a different way than from most Nintendo games. Instead of the core mechanics being made first, they came up with a bunch of levels and then built the rest of the game (and the coin mechanics around them - the coin focus only came into it during mid-development)

Other points of interest...

The giant Boo from the trailer is called Boohemoth...

Details on those special super fast stages as seen in the trailer...

Amano That's right. The staff had a strong desire this time to think of tough things that people might even get angry about. And we've changed some things with regard to the setup to make a fresh impression. For example, this time you can play special stages called Dash Mario.

Iwata Dash Mario?

Amano: You go into a cannon and get fired out. Then Mario's dashing from the start and you press the A Button at the right times.

Ishikawa: He's dashing from the start and can't stop.

Amano It's best to actually try this out, too.

Iwata All right… (plays a little) Oh, I like this! (laughs)

Amano You cleared it without any mistakes?!

Ishikawa On the first time…

Iwata This is quite an adrenaline rush! (laughs) It's like the carts in Donkey Kong Country!

Multiplayer details (and how it differs from NSMB Wii's multi)...

Were those special stages for two-player co-op?

Tezuka No. With the previous game, New Super Mario Bros.12 for the Nintendo DS system, they were special stages, but with the Wii game, you could play all the stages of the main game, and we wanted to do the same thing on the Nintendo 3DS as on the Wii. We decided that if we couldn't do that, then we would abandon it.

Iwata That would have an effect on all the main stages made up to that point.

Amano and Ishikawa (nodding emphatically) Right.

Iwata I can see why you said, "I don't want to do it!" (laughs) What hurdles did you have to cross in achieving two-person gameplay?

Amano In the Wii game, both Mario and Luigi were together on the same screen, and the screen scrolls sideways as if keeping up with the leader.

Iwata That's right.

Amano But for the main stages of this game for the Nintendo 3DS, you don't just go to the right. There are a lot of convoluted stages.

Iwata So you can't simply have the screen scroll to the right.

Amano Right. And compared to the Wii version, the area that the screen can show is much smaller.

Iwata For Wii, we pulled back the camera to show a broader range on the screen.

Amano Yes. We broadened the screen so everyone could easily play, but we couldn't do that with the Nintendo 3DS.

Iwata Under those tough circumstances, what made a breakthrough?

Amano We have the game decide whether Mario or Luigi is the current leader, and the camera follows the leader.

Iwata That way the camera can keep up even on meandering stages.

Amano Yes. If the trailing player is too slow, he disappears from the screen and goes into a bubble.

Ishikawa Competing to be leader is fun.

Amano For example, Mario could ground pound Luigi to become the leader, or he could get into a pipe leading to the next area sooner to become the leader.

Iwata So you can compete to become leader, get in your opponent's way, or be mischievous with each other. On the other hand, you can enjoy purely cooperative play, such as a good player becoming leader and helping out someone who isn't so good.

Amano Right. And someone who isn't that great may look at someone who is better and make discoveries, like, "Oh, so that's how you do it!"

Iwata It can be useful to study by watching a skilled person play.

Amano And this time, an impossible amount of coins appear, so if a single player can't get certain coins, two players playing cooperatively can get them all.

Ishikawa What's more, we made it so that when two people play, you can get twice the number of coins, so I think people will want to play with a partner.

Iwata Two players can strike it rich! (laughs)

A name change mid-development from New Super Mario Bros Gold to New Super Mario Bros 2!

The revelation that the paid DLC was something they wanted to do as a result of the failure of the eReader and the extra levels for Super Mario Advance 4!

And many more goodies amongst the ever funny...

Everybody: (laughs)
Edited by Dcubed

Interesting snippets! Making me more hopeful for the game and new content. They should have kept the name imo though, I hate how Nintendo market sometimes.

Interesting snippets! Making me more hopeful for the game and new content. They should have kept the name imo though, I hate how Nintendo market sometimes.

Yeah, me too. In many respects, it's like NSMB2 is a Nintendo made fan game and a continuation of Super Mario Advance 4! (while NSMBU is a straight sequel to NSMBWii)

We should be seeing some really different level designs in this one. Even if they're not as refined as NSMBU's levels (since that's being made by the seasoned pros), I think that this game might actually have a more interesting make up, precisely because its levels are being made by both first timers and people who worked on the Super Mario Land/Wario Land series! (much like how Wii Play Motion had an interesting array of experiences, because it was made by a gaggle of lots of different developers)

It'll also mean that this game will be more modular in its design approach, in comparison to NSMBU - which will be more of a "complete" experience. That's probably why they've chosen to highlight DLC with NSMB2, rather than NSMBU - since the way the game is being made, the separation of coin rush mode and the approach taken with the Mario Cram School should make NSMB2 much better suited to DLC than NSMBU.