NEurope
bryanee

New Super Mario Bros 2

Technically they aren't exactly the same. They have remixed all the tracks very slightly (mostly just extra "WAH WAH", but it is there), though I do share your sentiment.

I suppose it fits in with what kind of game this is, a (Nintendo made) fan sequel, while NSMBU is a direct sequel to NSMBWii (which is getting all the new music)

Makes it feel like Nintendo don't really care though. Mario's their star, you'd think they could afford some effort. If they don't care enough, they can't expect all the fans to either.

Makes it feel like Nintendo don't really care though. Mario's their star, you'd think they could afford some effort. If they don't care enough, they can't expect all the fans to either.

obviously they are saving all the music for their next 3D platforming WiiU game :heh:

*Goes back and listens to both Galaxy soundtracks*

Not totally thread related, but just throwing it out there as I saw it a couple days back and found it intriguing - what if eh?

tumblr_m7iyskNfNz1rw70wfo1_500.png

Has Koji Kondo retired? Bar a couple of tracks on the Mario Galaxies I don't remember seeing his name on any recent big Ninty titles.

Koji Kondo Composed for Skyward Sword. He seems to mainly act as a 'sound supervisor' and a 'sound adviser' these days. (Such as in Mario Tennis(Which is composed like all Camelot games by Motoi Sakaruba) and Ocarina of time 3D).

On a whole he has seemed to have taken a step back and is hardly involved in composition anymore. He mainly does work on Mario titles and spin off (He's contributed to all the Smash games) and Zelda titles. However he has composed on all Zelda titles other than Phantom Hourglass since LTTP.

So not retired yet, just not as prominent as he once was.

Koji Kondo Composed for Skyward Sword. He seems to mainly act as a 'sound supervisor' and a 'sound adviser' these days. (Such as in Mario Tennis(Which is composed like all Camelot games by Motoi Sakaruba) and Ocarina of time 3D).

On a whole he has seemed to have taken a step back and is hardly involved in composition anymore. He mainly does work on Mario titles and spin off (He's contributed to all the Smash games) and Zelda titles. However he has composed on all Zelda titles other than Phantom Hourglass since LTTP.

So not retired yet, just not as prominent as he once was.

Yep, pretty much spot on. He only really composes 1-5 tracks for a game these days (toiling for several months on each!) while Nintendo's other musicians compose most of the music.

The last tune he composed was the story intro for Skyward Sword (he only did the one track for that game)

Edited by Dcubed

Back on topic...

Who is actually 100% definitely getting this game on launch? I know I am because of the simple fact that even if it doesn't reinvent the platforming genre we all know it's still going to be 'classc' Mario in some form or another which still counts for a lot, especially in this day and age where we have more choice than ever...

Many platformers come and go but Mario is timeless. :D

So sign me the fuck up! : peace:

Back on topic...

Who is actually 100% definitely getting this game on launch? I know I am because of the simple fact that even if it doesn't reinvent the platforming genre we all know it's still going to be 'classc' Mario in some form or another which still counts for a lot, especially in this day and age where we have more choice than ever...

Count me in. I've had mine preordered for weeks and just like you said, it may not do anything new but it's Mario and an average Mario game is still better than most games.

I'd really like to get it on launch but I can't really justify spending the money on it when I need it for other things. Having said that, we all know that the price isn't going to come down any time soon (if ever :indeed:) so that may tempt me into going for it anyway as I know I'm going to love it, whatever the critics say :hehe:

Maybe I'll have a look through the collection and see if I can get some funds by moving on a few games that are past their sell by date..

Back on topic...

Course I'm getting it! While it looks the same on the surface, the reintroduction of the Raccoon Leaf (hello vertical platforming design!), the shift in staff members, the focus on coin collecting, the Coin Rush mode (and its upcoming DLC) and the philosophy behind the game (official fan hack) should make for a NSMB game that's actually quite different from the rest.

I loved Mario Advance 4's extra e-card levels and was always so disappointed that its life got cut short. This is essentially a revival of that concept and I'm actually looking quite forward to seeing how different the level designs turn out (especially the DLC stuff, which is truly World e reborn!)

Edited by Dcubed

I've never been excited about this game but, as I said to the chaps on Letterbox, I asked myself two questions:

1) When this is out, will I wish I was playing it?

2) Will it be cheaper to pre-order?

The answer to both was "yes", so I ordered it. To me, it's not a "system seller" (although presumably it will be to a lot of other people) but as I have a 3DS, I want to play it.

Who is actually 100% definitely getting this game on launch?

I don't know. I had a pre order down for this a long time ago, but as soon as we heard it would also be released on the eShop, I cancelled the order. IMO, this game perfectly suits a digital purchase. I can play it whenever, wherever, for as little or as long as I want without the cartridge.

The only unknown right now is the price, it needs to be similar to the standard retail price at the very least. However I do want the game at launch, so purchase through retail is still a possibility.

I still have a stigma aganst full games as digital downloads so I'll be getting the cartridge. Not like I go out with my 3DS often

Back on topic...

Won't it disappoint knowing they could have done more though? All the criticisms levelled at the game that I've seen are really quite fair, and really, I can't see any excuse for them! It's annoying. It makes me not want to support their half-arsed efforts in an attempt to move towards better products!

Won't it disappoint knowing they could have done more though? All the criticisms levelled at the game that I've seen are really quite fair, and really, I can't see any excuse for them! It's annoying. It makes me not want to support their half-arsed efforts in an attempt to move towards better products!

I dunno, most of the complaints are things that can be true of any sequel in any franchise and a lot of it is just bashing Nintendo for the sake of Nintendo

I'm looking forward to playing the DLC stages, they might just be creative and challenging enough to push the game to be better than the first one.

I like the whole coin focus since coins haven't really been that important recently.

NoE announced the double stars bonus for buying the digital version. Still no word on price?

Yeah still haven't heard anything on the price. Even NSMB2's eShop icon doesn't show a price. btw you going to get it through the eShop?

"That’s not all the bonus action on offer, though. You’ll also receive double Stars for purchasing Freakyforms Deluxe Your Creations, Alive! and New Art Academy: Learn New Painting Techniques and Share Your Art* , also launching in Nintendo eShop on August 17th. But hurry – double Stars are only available for four weeks!"

Yeah still haven't heard anything on the price. Even NSMB2's eShop icon doesn't show a price. btw you going to get it through the eShop?

The price on the eShop is the same as the RRP at retail, BUUUUUUUTTTTT download cards in retail/online stores are free to be set at whatever price the retailer chooses (just like with physical games) and they'll offer them for a cheaper price than the boxed copy since it's cheaper for them. So you'll get a discount over the physical version that way.

Ordering from Amazon, easy. Couldn't care less if it's a few pennies more expensive

Uuhhh, what's the RRP. Shopto says £40, is that correct? If so then I'll probably just buy the retail version for £10 cheaper. Did want to support the digital version but Nintendo are making it hard. Unless download codes start appearing soon.

The NSMB2 print ad is God Tier.

5FwMU.jpg

That's the 90s and my childhood perfectly encapsulated into an A4 sheet, right there folks. PLAY IT LOUD!!! :D

Edit: One final trailer from NOE before release :)

Edited by Dcubed

Although I'm not interested in the game, their advertising has gotten a lot better!

..So it's safe to assume that Nintendo have adopted the Activision way of producing video games, which is more budget on marketing than development? =P

Although I'm not interested in the game, their advertising has gotten a lot better!

..So it's safe to assume that Nintendo have adopted the Activision way of producing video games, which is more budget on marketing than development? =P

That has kind of always been the case though... You think SMB3 cost nearly as much to make as those epic ads it got? (including a full Hollywood movie that was produced soely for the purpose of advertising SMB3!)

Even Zelda Skyward Sword (Nintendo's most expensive-to-produce game of all time) probably had a larger marketing budget than it's actual development (of which I'm sure the Zelda Concerts were also included as part of the marcomms budget)

Let's just hope that the TV ads are just as awesome :D

Edited by Dcubed

That ad is terrific! and that trailer was just as excellent, it just wants to make you whip out your 3DS and for hours on end.

I saw a NSMB2 advert on TV yesterday, I don't remember it though. However the NA TV ad is better!