NEurope
bryanee

New Super Mario Bros 2

I dunno, most of the complaints are things that can be true of any sequel in any franchise and a lot of it is just bashing Nintendo for the sake of Nintendo

Though I'm obviously going off what I've read, I agree with some such as;

-Graphics not being as improved as you'd expect.

-No online component. JUGE coin collecting focus but no online leaderboards? Weak. I don't want to just mario with random folks on the street, I want to mario with my friends!

-Similarly, multiplayer being local limited but even worse, being forced to catch up to the leader. Why? Each player has their own system and own screens! Why not USE that?

It just seems a wholly poor effort from Nintendo when I think about it more.

-No online component. JUGE coin collecting focus but no online leaderboards? Weak. I don't want to just mario with random folks on the street, I want to mario with my friends!

Rummy, you've invented a new verb! ;)

It will cost you £39.99 to download this from the eShop.... Stupid price. I'm going to have to look around for a better price on download codes. But this needs to be in 4 weeks so I can at least get double stars.

It will cost you £39.99 to download this from the eShop.... Stupid price. I'm going to have to look around for a better price on download codes. But this needs to be in 4 weeks so I can at least get double stars.

It's the RRP, we all knew it would be sold for that price and that any discounts on either the physical version or the digital version are entirely up to 3rd party retailers. It's funny seeing people getting riled up about this stuff which we all knew about months ago :laughing:

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, but of course most people online are riddled with ADD and have the memory spans of goldfishes so go figure ::shrug:

TBH though, it is NOE/NOA's fault really. They've done a poor job of explaining how the discount system works to those who don't follow Nintendo Direct/Iwata Asks (and I still see no sign of the download cards in stores either... get it together NOE!!!)

Edited by Dcubed

Well what can I say, people love having a good moan in this country, and it's kinda rubbed off on me.

The very first thing we learned about the prices of retail games on the eShop was that they'd be put up at RRP and that buying at actual retailers would be far cheaper.

And of course, people are still surprised and freaking out...

The very first thing we learned about the prices of retail games on the eShop was that they'd be put up at RRP and that buying at actual retailers would be far cheaper.

And of course, people are still surprised and freaking out...

Just because the information was already put out there, doesn't make the idea any less stupid.

Rummy, you've invented a new verb! ;)

Shhh, Reggie'll hear you!

No surprise on DD price, you'll probs always be better off getting it online!

Just because the information was already put out there, doesn't make the idea any less stupid.

It's not stupid, it's so they don't piss off their retail partners. If they do, then the retailers will cut back on Nintendo displays etc. and that'd irreparably damage Nintendo

Actually it's a pretty clever idea that, in theory, should make the DD versions of games much cheaper to buy than they'd otherwise be; and all without pissing off retailers.

The issue at hand of course comes down to NOE/NOA actually getting these cards into stores (which thus far, all signs point to them failing miserably in this respect)

The issue at hand of course comes down to NOE/NOA actually getting these cards into stores (which thus far, all signs point to them failing miserably in this respect)

You do have to think that there aren't any DD games out yet though. So it would make sense that there's currently none in stores. As far as online retailers go, maybe they're going with "if you can get online to buy it you can go on the eShop and get it direct".

Forgive my ignorance but isn't the whole point of DD is that it's cheaper than retail? I mean you don't get a box or a cart or the ability to trade it in, so why would you get the DD version? The company doesn't have to pay to have the thing in somewhere like Game but if you are trying to keep retailers happy then why bother at all? Seems a bit daft to me.

This isn't just Nintendo, just look at some of the prices on GoD and PSN. You get the odd time where the DD is cheaper than the actual retail game ( Ratchet and Clank trilogy ) but most the time it's the RRP.

You do have to think that there aren't any DD games out yet though. So it would make sense that there's currently none in stores. As far as online retailers go, maybe they're going with "if you can get online to buy it you can go on the eShop and get it direct".

The download cards are supposed to be available on the day of release. Right now, there are no Point of Sale materials for the eShop version in retail stores at all, and no online retailer is listing the DD cards for purchase.

Contrast that with Japan, where you were able to actually buy the cards several days before the actual release of the game (you could redeem it, but the game wasn't available to download until 00:00 on the day of release)

Fucking failures they are :mad:

Forgive my ignorance but isn't the whole point of DD is that it's cheaper than retail? I mean you don't get a box or a cart or the ability to trade it in, so why would you get the DD version? The company doesn't have to pay to have the thing in somewhere like Game but if you are trying to keep retailers happy then why bother at all? Seems a bit daft to me.

This isn't just Nintendo, just look at some of the prices on GoD and PSN. You get the odd time where the DD is cheaper than the actual retail game ( Ratchet and Clank trilogy ) but most the time it's the RRP.

The whole idea behind this initiative is that retailers are given download cards/codes along with boxed copies that they can set for any price they want. Since the cards are cheaper for them to stock, retailers would offer the DD cards at a lower price than the RRP as well as the boxed copies. That way, retailers aren't cut out of DD sales, consumers get the DD version for a cheaper price and Nintendo maintain good relations with the retailers; everybody wins!

Edited by Dcubed

Ah I didn't realise they were available pre-release in Japan. That's not a good sign. They're the only way I'm going to be buying digital versions of games, assuming they tracked the general physical price.

It's not stupid, it's so they don't piss off their retail partners. If they do, then the retailers will cut back on Nintendo displays etc. and that'd irreparably damage Nintendo

Good point, but I just don't see the point in actually making an endeavour into digital distribution if there's no benefit to the consumer after all the reduced overheads.

I'm calling it out too early to be honest as I'm mainly basing it on Japan's behaviour regarding these digital copies, where it turned out to be cheaper in the long run to buy the physical copy.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 TV ad.

NSMB2moustache.jpg

636527094.jpg?key=12401754&Expires=1344958978&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=UswvGg2f6JIldlIIqKaN0Eq~XNAnW0vqvtBzkDnHmOjQ67TvbbfuJiv62XmtpXJYuDk27bTiN6r~YT3bJhyl0Mea1qcY-H1~UmfwZzf5ixNsMU1gUHbiuovVMlTb~cKmoQrF6kT1yl9wpEdxlWTySp39p-DKqQAoMS8SDyHQnNU_

Edited by -Dem0-

Amazon have it for pre-order at £29.99, which seems to be cheaper than the DD version. I'll stick to hard-copies until DD's are cheaper.

Shopto have begun processing my order. I may get it tomorrow.....

Shipped mine, but I heard that they aren't actually shipping until tomorrow

Haven't had an e-mail, but I haven't really had one of those for a while. Had a text though and the photo is up on their site

I have received 'the text' from ShopTo which in my experience means it's on it's way so could have it by tomorrow and if not then pretty much guaranteed for Thursday.

Ohhh yeah! :grin:

And they said they weren't shipping until tomorrow :P

If so, then they're filthy liars since it says shipped and dispatched :p