NEurope
bryanee

New Super Mario Bros 2

I still want to get this through the eShop, but I'd like a little something extra, like double stars for example.

I still want to get this through the eShop, but I'd like a little something extra, like double stars for example.

I'd get it on the eShop, if it was cheaper than getting it on online retail, which it isn't...will get it earlier too

I thought I was going to end up getting this fairly near to release, I'm slowly thinking I probably won't actually. More likely setting my price marker for this at £15, second hand or new.

With multiple players in mind, perhaps the biggest new feature of NSMB2 is its co-op mode, which lets another player – as long as they have their own copy of the game – join in as everybody’s third-favourite Mario brother, Luigi.

:laughing:

Personally I love him, but I found that to be so simple yet brilliant.

Edited by Rummy

Gametrailers Review - 8.0

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/p2293u/new-super-mario-bros--2-review

Similar to other reviews they basically say... 'It's Mario, but it's getting old'.

It is dissapointing that they don't design an actual 2-Player mode, that requires players to assist one another for gameplay/bosses/puzzles.

Let's hope they take a similar view to the other game series that are coming this year with very incremental updates otherwise it's just a "let's bash Nintendo" thing

It's not bashing it when they give it an 8.

You only have to look at Rayman Origins and Legends to see what Nintendo could be doing with their platforming games, in terms of co-op gameplay for multiplayer. So there's no way they should be scoring anywhere near those games, as Nintendo is just constantly churning out the same old gameplay and levels time after time.

Nintendo is just constantly churning out the same old gameplay and levels time after time.

And graphics... o_O

It is a total shame that Nintendo both get recognition (in terms of sales) and criticism for the New Super Mario Bros games, whilst they simultaneously create fantastic games such as Super Mario Galaxy and 3DLand.

If things were the other way around, where Galaxy and 3DLand were the ones driving the sales, then I'm sure we'd all be acting differently. The difference is that is it not. We'll just have to deal with that, I imagine. It seems ok to have games like Galaxy which gather the critical acclaim, and NSMB which will capture the "everyday" crowd and bring in the moolah.

I fully enjoy the 2D Mario games though, and apparently they have been clever with the level designs for this one, plus the DLC ones are said to be even more clever

It's just, with a genre such a 2D Platformer, there's only so much they can do.

My complaint wasn't that they're bashing Nintendo, it's just the general internet thing of "Bah, Nintendo is just phoning it in" while then praising Activision, 343 etc. who release the exact same Malibu Stacey as before, just with a new hat

I fully enjoy the 2D Mario games though, and apparently they have been clever with the level designs for this one, plus the DLC ones are said to be even more clever

It's just, with a genre such a 2D Platformer, there's only so much they can do.

My complaint wasn't that they're bashing Nintendo, it's just the general internet thing of "Bah, Nintendo is just phoning it in" while then praising Activision, 343 etc. who release the exact same Malibu Stacey as before, just with a new hat

I disagree. I'm playing Rayman Origins right now and that shows how inventive a 2D platformer can be. What about Epic Yarn?

What would make the New Super Mario Bros games better? Easy. Rework the world map. Really go crazy with it. Give us multiple routes, Lylat Wars style, where you discover new areas on your third or fourth playthrough. Give us access to new and exciting items that you can buy along the way. What about more variation in the type of environments we encounter. Snow, Land, Fire, Underwater, Desert. Everytime, it's the same. It's a bit lame where you get given a map of a snow world and you see "as, these levels have snow now. The last ones have water." It just needs to be a lot more interesting than that. The levels need to be less defined by the environments. You can allow for more creativity that way.

Super Mario Bros. 3 has much better map designs than these games. Much less linear. Generally, they are just more interesting to look at.

I disagree. I'm playing Rayman Origins right now and that shows how inventive a 2D platformer can be. What about Epic Yarn?

What would make the New Super Mario Bros games better? Easy. Rework the world map. Really go crazy with it. Give us multiple routes, Lylat Wars style, where you discover new areas on your third or fourth playthrough. Give us access to new and exciting items that you can buy along the way. What about more variation in the type of environments we encounter. Snow, Land, Fire, Underwater, Desert. Everytime, it's the same. It's a bit lame where you get given a map of a snow world and you see "as, these levels have snow now. The last ones have water." It just needs to be a lot more interesting than that. The levels need to be less defined by the environments. You can allow for more creativity that way.

Super Mario Bros. 3 has much better map designs than these games. Much less linear. Generally, they are just more interesting to look at.

Well, that I agree with. However, New Super Mario Bros U seems to deal with that

I recently played through a lot of Rayman Origins and wouldn't say it's that imaginative or unique. Pretty, yes. Inventive, no

Kind of reminds me of a pic I found like a week ago...

1343719482468.jpg

I disagree. I'm playing Rayman Origins right now and that shows how inventive a 2D platformer can be.

When was the last time someone said that about a Rayman title? Rayman 2: The Great Escape? it took them a long time to bring out a fantastic title in Origins.

I think people obviously enjoy the NSMB series, but it just doesn't feel 'New' to them. NSMB DS was fantastic. NSMBWii improved on it through the local co-op multiplayer, but now with NSMB2 you get practically the same soundtrack & the same visuals and a last minute addition of multiplayer that could've been improved, so far (from what I've read) the best part of the game is the addition of Coin Rush mode & coin hunting in general.

I think it will be a good chance for Nintendo to go a different route for a 2D Mario after NSMBU. I think having NSMBU as a launch title for the WiiU will give Nintendo some more time in experimenting with some other ideas for the next Mario title for the WiiU.

Well, that I agree with. However, New Super Mario Bros U seems to deal with that

I recently played through a lot of Rayman Origins and wouldn't say it's that imaginative or unique. Pretty, yes. Inventive, no

U looks the better of the two games. But still, I don't think it's enough.

As for Origins, really? Not inventive or imaginative? For a start, it looks beautiful. There's a great sense of humour about the game. I've still got a way to go with it (I think) but every level seems to bring a smile to my face. It feels different to the other platformers on the Wii, which I think has really been blessed this generation.

When was the last time someone said that about a Rayman title? Rayman 2: The Great Escape? it took them a long time to bring out a fantastic title in Origins.

I think people obviously enjoy the NSMB series, but it just doesn't feel 'New' to them. NSMB DS was fantastic. NSMBWii improved on it through the local co-op multiplayer, but now with NSMB2 you get practically the same soundtrack & the same visuals and a last minute addition of multiplayer that could've been improved, so far (from what I've read) the best part of the game is the addition of Coin Rush mode & coin hunting in general.

I think it will be a good chance for Nintendo to go a different route for a 2D Mario after NSMBU. I think having NSMBU as a launch title for the WiiU will give Nintendo some more time in experimenting with some other ideas for the next Mario title for the WiiU.

Totally agree about the Rayman part. It shocked me a little, as I didn't think the guy had it in him anymore. ;)

I can understand that NSMB is a bit of a money spinner now. Nintendo obviously knows that. I would just love it if we got something a bit different. More unique. Where Nintendo really push the boundaries of platforming.

Kind of reminds me of a pic I found like a week ago...

1343719482468.jpg

Fantastic image. I don't agree with this argument that Nintendo rehashed the same game over and over. It may be true with Mario Kart and NSMB, but there are so many titles which contradict that. Kirby's Epic Yarn. Metroid: Other M. Skyward Sword. Super Mario Galaxy. ExciteTruck. There's the likes of Batallion Wars, Endless Ocean, Disaster, too.

That is a brilliant image. :D

People have got a point about NSMB though. I'm not going to judge it before I've played it, but I did think the graphics would be a little bit better than that.

New Super Mario Bros is the one series Nintendo does seem to put minimum effort into. It's hard not to think they've said "The 3DS isn't selling. Quick, knock up a New Super Mario Bros game!" and "We need something to make the Wii U sell immediately. Make an NSMB!" ;) BUT it's a fine balancing act. As I've said before, Nintendo would be crazy not to make one for each machine. Also, it is a very well-honed type of game and doesn't need much change. I enjoyed New Super Mario Bros on the DS much more than Rayman Origins, as good as the latter looked.

So, it's a difficult one to call. We'll just have to play it and see how good it really is.

Just a new graphical style would help to refresh New Super Mario Bros.

The visuals for Wario Land Shake Dimension were lovely. That could have been the style all Mario games adopted for Wii/3DS.

And then something different again for Wii U. At least it would show Nintendo making an effort!

A little unfair considering they're using years a part version of Nintendo gamesand same generation versions of sonys.

For Nintendo why not sure nsmb DS, wii, 2 and wii u?

Metroid prime 1, 2 and 3?m

All the different versions of animal crossing?

The thing in this that's indefensible and only explainable in terms of sheer laziness is the reusing the soundtrack practically note-for-note from the Wii version. The only "new" tracks appear to be a remix of the main theme with added "wah wah" and the end credits. Can't they afford to pay one of their massive team of composers to write at least 5 new (2 minute) pieces??!

A little unfair considering they're using years a part version of Nintendo gamesand same generation versions of sonys.

For Nintendo why not sure nsmb DS, wii, 2 and wii u?

Metroid prime 1, 2 and 3?m

All the different versions of animal crossing?

Very true.

Although it is genuinely difficult to think of franchises on the other consoles that have dared to be different between installments in the series, in the same way the likes of Zelda have. In fact I'm not sure I can think of any!

Mario, metroid :)
lol no, by Other Console franchises I meant PS/Xbox, not other franchises on the console.

Yeah I know, was just semi kidding confirming your iital point that Nintendo are great innovators :)

To be honest, I think it's very hard to reinvent game series. Final fantasy does a reasonable joh of changing things up. But people love a game and don't want it to change too much. Saying that, although they may not be reinvented, they usually have substantial changes - halo (even though I hate it), uncharted, batman, assassins creed etc. way more than new super mario bros and animal crossing and maybe even mario Kart have undertaken

The thing in this that's indefensible and only explainable in terms of sheer laziness is the reusing the soundtrack practically note-for-note from the Wii version. The only "new" tracks appear to be a remix of the main theme with added "wah wah" and the end credits. Can't they afford to pay one of their massive team of composers to write at least 5 new (2 minute) pieces??!

Technically they aren't exactly the same. They have remixed all the tracks very slightly (mostly just extra "WAH WAH", but it is there), though I do share your sentiment.

I suppose it fits in with what kind of game this is, a (Nintendo made) fan sequel, while NSMBU is a direct sequel to NSMBWii (which is getting all the new music)