Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2012

Retro_Link

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Constructors goes to Red Bull. Glad Hamilton had a great race to stop Vettel winning, with Alonso's distant 3rd the Drivers championship will go to Brazil, but looking how far behind Alonso ended up the rain needs to come to give him any hope of getting a win to give him his best shot. Of course a DNF will most likely be needed for Vettel.

That was an awesome race, grand prix racing at it's finest. Great battle between Kimi & Button, good scraps up and down the field. Lewis was on biblical form to produce a titanic battle with Vettel. If only Mclaren hadn't tripped up over themselves so often this year, who knows what might have been.

Yeah a good race from Austin today!

Loved Kimi's overtake on Hulkenburg into the Esses! *and the appluase from DC* and his scrap with Jenson.

Stupid hard Perelli tyres!

So the question heading into Brazil... Will the 2012 WDC be decided on an alternator?!

Wasn't a fan of Ferrari's tactics on the grid today tbh. Only Ferrari would do that. Red Bull could have done the same and stuck Alonso back on the dirty side but they didn't. And I don't think that's a great way to go about winning a championship.

Still... it's fantastic that it's another recent year of the title going down to the last race of the season!

Kimi's overtake was the highlight, I applauded that one too. I enjoyed Schumi putting up a game fight in spite of the Merc's shortcomings too. Just showed what he achieved in qualifying. I couldn't believe my ears when Massa came straight out over why they had changed his gearbox, team tactics are one thing but that's bordering on the farcical. At least Massa seems to be enjoying good race pace these days.

NNOOOOOOOO Kamui lost his seat with Sauber :(

Sauber have promoted Mexican reserve driver Esteban Gutierrez for 2013.

The 21-year-old replaces countryman Sergio Perez, who is leaving the team to join McLaren next year. Gutierrez will partner German Nico Hulkenberg.

The Swiss team have also signed highly rated Dutchman Robin Frijns who won the Renault 3.5 feeder series this year.

Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn described Gutierrez as a "great talent and now he's ready to take the leap".

He owes his place at least partly to the team's Mexican sponsor, the communications giant Telmex.

"Generally, to take a decision on a driver is a strategic decision," Kaltenborn told BBC Sport.

"You have to look at the whole picture which for us definitely includes the quality of the driver; we did the same with Sergio for example.

"We had many options at that time as well and we went for Sergio because we were first of all convinced he was a very talented driver.

"And then of course if you are a private team with the surroundings you are working in, the more money you have, the more money you can put in development and hopefully it ends up in the right performance.

"You have to look at many aspects and we are open about that."

Frijns, who is only two days younger than Gutierrez, does not have rich backers and has won his place as reserve driver on merit after impressing the team at the Abu Dhabi young driver test earlier this month.

"Monitoring Robin's racing career makes it easy to spot his potential," Kaltenborn said.

"This was the reason we gave him the chance to drive the Sauber C31-Ferrari at the young driver days in Abu Dhabi. He managed this very well.

"We will now carefully guide him to Formula 1. This is a long way, but Robin has got the skills to do that successfully."

Frijns said he was "very happy" to "get the chance to learn how Formula 1 works in an extremely professional environment".

He added: "I am already very much looking forward to getting the 2013 season started and working together with the team."

Sauber's decision leaves Japanese driver Kamui Kobayashi, who has raced for the team since 2009, looking for a drive next year. His chances of finding one appear slim.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20463420

His chances of a drive next year looking slim :( Rubbish.

NNOOOOOOOO Kamui lost his seat with Sauber :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20463420

His chances of a drive next year looking slim :( Rubbish.

Incredibly, it looks as though both him and Kova are out of the sport :( Gutted for Kamui, a truly fast driver who I feel has been handicapped slightly by these new rules...defo one of the best overtakers.

What a great weekend this is set to be! Alonso vs Vettel...who do people want/think will take it, taking into account how the weather is set to be panning out?

My money is out Alonso as always! Forza Ferrari!

Heikki & Kamui are two of my favourite drivers, I'm gutted by the news today. Along with Schumi I think that's 3 of my top 5 leaving after this weekend.

Anyway, I've realised everyone’s missing the real Championship Battle this weekend:

If Lewis can finish at least 2nd and Kimi finishes no higher than 9th, Kimi will place 4th in the championship and therefore won’t have to attend the FIA end of season gala and won’t have to spend another weekend standing around people he dislikes instead of racing snowmobiles and drinking alcoholic soda floats.

Heikki & Kamui are two of my favourite drivers, I'm gutted by the news today. Along with Schumi I think that's 3 of my top 5 leaving after this weekend.

Anyway, I've realised everyone’s missing the real Championship Battle this weekend:

If Lewis can finish at least 2nd and Kimi finishes no higher than 9th, Kimi will place 4th in the championship and therefore won’t have to attend the FIA end of season gala and won’t have to spend another weekend standing around people he dislikes instead of racing snowmobiles and drinking alcoholic soda floats.

Indeed, Kimi has said if he can't win the WDC he'd rather finish 4th so he doesn't have to go to the Gala! ;)

Also

I don't know much about Gutierrez tbh (other than a dodgy Practice session in India), but I'm not convinced. I can't look past the decision being anything more than Mexican sponsorship. So a real shame for Kamui.

And also Heikki deserves to stay in F1. Pic has been pretty decent this season from what you can try and judge from him in a Marussia, but again I'm pretty sure Pic brings money from Total doesn't he, so that was probably part of the decision no matter what else they say. Don't know why Heikki can't partner him, I wonder what other pay driver they must be looking at then?

Really looking forward to the race today. It could go either way but I really hope Alonso finally manages to do it again. It starts at 1am here so it's going to be a late night - totally worth it.

Vettel really is in prime position, he doesn't have to do too much to take the title now. Is there still rain expected? If so then it puts Alonso in with a great chance to pull something out of the bag.

Really looking forward to the race today. It could go either way but I really hope Alonso finally manages to do it again. It starts at 1am here so it's going to be a late night - totally worth it.

Vettel really is in prime position' date=' he doesn't have to do too much to take the title now. Is there still rain expected? If so then it puts Alonso in with a great chance to pull something out of the bag.[/quote']Yep I think it's still predicted, though maybe not as heavily as before.

Alonso's already up to 7th on the grid with a penalty for Maldonado, and Massa's not gonna stand in his way, so I can see him being P5 behind HAM/BUT/WEB/VET after the first lap. Although who know's what sort of a start Webber will make! And then we'll just have to see how it plays out from there!

If Vettel doesn't finish the race due to an alternator problem, or being taken out by Massa at Turn 1 :p, Alonso still needs to take one of the podium positions from HAM/BUT/WEB, but yeah if Webber has a poor start/race like he quite often does, who knows!

Yep I think it's still predicted, though maybe not as heavily as before.

Alonso's already up to 7th on the grid with a penalty for Maldonado, and Massa's not gonna stand in his way, so I can see him being P5 behind HAM/BUT/WEB/VET after the first lap. Although who know's what sort of a start Webber will make! And then we'll just have to see how it plays out from there!

If Vettel doesn't finish the race due to an alternator problem, or being taken out by Massa at Turn 1 :p, Alonso still needs to take one of the podium positions from HAM/BUT/WEB, but yeah if Webber has a poor start/race like he quite often does, who knows!

At the bolded bit... genuinely wonder if Ferrari would go that far to get Alonso the championship. Not a full blown massive crash but have Massa squeeze him and nick one of the tires with the front wing/whatever. I genuinely hope not.

Really looking forward to the race though. Interlagos is a brilliant circuit and a fitting place to hold the culmination of the championship. Be a shame when they get round to redeveloping the place as they were talking about moving the pits on to the back straight leading up to turn 4 which isn't nearly exciting as the current rundown to the first corner.

This is it.

As a massive Ferrari fan, I'm nervous as hell. Alonso is running max downforce so if it's dry he's going to struggle to make passes on the maccas and maybe even Seb. The weather will play as key part and they are expecting showers here and there but nothing as heavy as it was this morning.

The start will be massively important and hopefully Massa can get ahead of Seb and/or webber to hold him up.

Also, I just know I'm going to well up a little once Schumacher finishes. He was a big idol of mine growing up and the sport just won't be the same with him not behind the wheel. He said the car is completely set up for the wet so I'm hoping for some Michael Schumacher magic in his last race.

Bring it on. I'm so glad interlagos is finale and not Abu Dhabi (ala 2010).

Bernie replacing Jake...... I'm assuming and hoping that was a BBC comedy "gotcha!!" type joke....

I'd of thought Lee McKenzie would be be the replacement.

Onto the race though... What an incredible and emotional 3 hours. Massa played the role of team mate exceptionally. Vettel off in first lap was just surreal. Alonso climbing to 2nd... I was just expecting something to happen to Vettel while he was 6th, but he just took it home.

Really amazing season, and gutted it's over, a sad day not just because the seasons over, but losing some great racers next season, the lack of Jake next season.

2013 has some work cut out to top this season!

Fucking amazing race.

I was sure it was Vettel who was involved in the collision and was delighted when the camera showed it was indeed him. Set the whole race up perfectly.

As much as i wanted Alonso to win the title, it was immense how quick Vettel got back into the points.

It's pretty annoying how scared other drivers seem to be when it comes to defending against the potential world champion, though. They put up basically no fight. It's pretty inevitable that he will pass them eventually, but racing is what they do, and they should fight for every single position.

It was sad to see Hamilton's Mclaren career end how it did, was desperate for him to get a win in his last race.

Well, that was pretty much Lewis' year in a nutshell. Fantastic driving, mussed pitstops, iffy strategy followed by being booted out on the back of somebody else's foolhardiness. A thriller of a race to be sure but I'm going to be in pain for a while after tonight.

9UgCw.jpg

3127dj5.png

Raikkonen: "It was a busy race and we didn't have the pace we wanted all the time. There was certainly a lot going on. I went off at the last corner on lap fifty-two as I couldn't see well with my visor being dirty and fogged up. Where I went off you can get back on the track by going through the support race pit lane, but you have to go through a gate. I know this as I did the same thing in 2001 and the gate was open that year. Somebody closed it this time. Next year I'll make sure it's open again."

:D Love you Kimi! What a comeback season it's been!

Despite him not having a proper Finnish name :p

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104630

Williams confirms Valtteri Bottas and Pastor Maldonado for 2013

Valtteri Bottas will race alongside Pastor Maldonado at the Williams team during the 2013 Formula 1 season, the British squad confirmed on Wednesday.

The Finn was widely expected to land the racing drive after acting as Williams's third driver during the 2012 season, replacing Bruno Senna in opening practice for 15 of the 20 grands prix.

The 23-year-old from Nastola won the GP3 championship in 2011 and spent this year testing for Williams. He told AUTOSPORT earlier this week that he "needed" to go back to racing next year.

Bottas, who was signed by Williams in 2010, admitted on Wednesday that racing in Formula 1 will be a dream come true for him.

"It has always been my life-long dream to compete in the Formula 1 world championship," he said.

"To do so with one of the most legendary teams in the sport is incredibly special. I've really enjoyed my three years with Williams so far and feel very at home here so my goal was always to stay for 2013 and progress to a race seat."

Team boss Frank Williams said he was extremely excited about his line-up for the 2013 season.

"In Pastor and Valtteri we have two of the most exciting talents in motor racing and I'm especially excited about what 2013 can bring for Williams," he said.

"Pastor has always demonstrated remarkable pace and this year has seen him mature as a racing driver.

"Valtteri is quite simply one of the most talented young racing drivers I have come across and we expects great things from him in the future."

Williams also thanked Senna for his work at the team during the 2012 season. The Brazilian's future in F1 remains uncertain, with very few racing seats available.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to thank our departing driver Bruno Senna for his hard work over the past year and wish him the best of luck going forward," Williams said.

Think everyone saw it coming. Looking forward to seeing him racing, I think he'll do a really good job for Williams in 2013.

So how many seats do we have left to fill?...

1x Lotus

1x Force India

1x Caterham

2x Marussia

2x HRT - If they make it onto the grid.

And to fill them we have...

Grosjean

Senna

Kobayashi

Kovalainen

Glock

De La Rosa

Karthikeyan

Alguersuari

Bianchi

Sutil

Barrichello

There have been rumours of Kovalainen talking to Lotus, and of Barrichello looking for a return drive.

Edited by Retro_Link

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!