NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2012

800pxf1logosvg.png

f1champions.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/16528921.stm

Ferrari's Fernando Alonso is excited by F1 golden era

With the return of Kimi Raikkonen, there will be six world champions racing in 2012, more than ever before.

"It is great and it puts the level of the championship higher than ever," said double-champion Alonso.

"We will enjoy the championship, the spectators will enjoy it. We can have some good races with good emotion."

Drivers and Teams

Red Bull - Sebastian Vettel/Mark Webber

McLaren - Jenson Button/Lewis Hamilton

Ferrari - Fernando Alonso/Felipe Massa

Mercedes - Nico Rosberg/Michael Schumacher

Lotus - Kimi Raikkonen/Romain Grosjean

Force India - Paul di Resta/Nico Hulkenberg

Sauber - Kamui Kobayashi/Sergio Perez

Toro Rosso - Daniel Ricciardo/Jean-Eric Vergne

Williams - Pastor Maldonado/Bruno Senna

Caterham - Heikki Kovalainen/Jarno Trulli

HRT - Pedro de la Rosa/Narain Karthikeyan

Marussia - Timo Glock/Charles Pic

2012 Race Calender Green = LIVE BBC Races

Australia - 18th March

Malaysia - 25th March

China - 15th April

Bahrain - 22nd April

Spain - 13th May

Monaco - 27th May

Canada - 10th June

Europe/Valencia - 24th June

Britain- 8th July

Germany - 22nd July

Hungary - 29th July

Belgium - 2nd September

Italy - 9th September

Singapore - 23rd September

Japan - 7th October

Korea - 14th October

India - 28th October

Abu Dhabi - 4th November

USA - 18th November

Brazil - 25th November

2012 Car Launches

Jan 26th - Caterham

Feb 1st - McLaren

Feb 3rd - Ferrari, Force India

Feb 5th - Lotus

Feb 6th - Red Bull, Sauber

Feb 7th - Toro Rosso

Feb 21st - Mercedes, Marussia

BBC/SKY aside, I'm REALLY looking forward to this year!! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Nice choice of image there Retro. Six world champs on the grid next year is gonna be epic! :D

Also, here are the car launch dates so far confirmed -

McLaren, 1 February, Woking

Ferrari, 3 February, Maranello

Force India, 3 February, Silverstone

Sauber, 6 February, Jerez

Red Bull, 6 February, Online

Can't wait just to see what they've cooked up for this year.

Thanks for those launch dates @gaggle64! Didn't realise some were launching earlier than the first test. Lotus are launching on the 6th too I believe.

Yeah the new cars are always really exciting to see!! :D

Anyone thinking of going to any races or anything this year?

I know @Goron3 has said he's going to Silverstone.

I'm thinking of looking into Hungary this year. Pretty cheap tickets, good view of the track and a great city!

Nice work! Love the F1 thread :)

Definitely looking forward to this season, hoping Alonso can have a better year and it would be nice to see Lewis on form. I hope some of the teams at the back can start to make their way up the grid too, nice to see some progress over a few years.

If they have the US Grand Prix then I will definitely go to it. I'd like to go to more, if I happen to be in roughly the right area at the right time I will try to get to another. If my money is looking good later in the year I'll try to go to the Japanese race.

Agree with @will&\#39; with regards to back runner team's making strides through the grid. Would like to see Caterham climb higher, and would like to see Sauber progress again this season, they did fantastic to finish ahead of Toro Rosso, would like to see them contest a higher constructors finish, pipping force India is a definite possibility.

Can't wait to see the cars :)

I'm torn really, whilst I look forward to the championship battle, I have no driver to support now. However looks like he won't hang his helmet up for good, if Barrichello does go to another motor sport series I will try and follow him on that.

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2012/1/12937.html

Any grid would be lucky to have him
Edited by Emerald Emblem

lol, The FIA are such a joke!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97127

FIA bans reactive ride height system for 2012

Formula 1 teams have been told that the reactive suspension system pioneered by Lotus has been banned for the 2012 season.

Sources have confirmed that a note was sent from the FIA to all teams on Friday evening indicating that the governing body was no longer satisfied the concept - which regulates ride height under braking - was still legal.

It is not clear why the FIA has decided now that the reactive systems should be outlawed, after AUTOSPORT revealed last week that it had given the green light to the Lotus idea as long ago as last January.

Rival teams are likely, however, to have made an effort to prove to the FIA that the Lotus system was in contravention of the regulations.

Politics, politics, politics! That's all it's been about the past few seasons, it's become very tiresome.

That darn kid's at it again.

Also, the new Caterham will be revealed in F1 Magazine on January 26th. Lotus will launch online on February 5th and Torro Rosso confirmed it will be running it's new model at the first test on the 7th. Marussia & Mercedes will run theirs at the 2nd test, with the Merc to be revealed on the 21st of February. Not long to go!

Here's the Test calender too if you want it.

7 Feb Circuito Permanente de Jerez

8 Feb Circuito Permanente de Jerez

9 Feb Circuito Permanente de Jerez

10 Feb Circuito Permanente de Jerez

21 Feb Circuit de Catalunya

22 Feb Circuit de Catalunya

23 Feb Circuit de Catalunya

24 Feb Circuit de Catalunya

1 Mar Circuit de Catalunya

2 Mar Circuit de Catalunya

3 Mar Circuit de Catalunya

4 Mar Circuit de Catalunya

1 May Mugello Circuit

2 May Mugello Circuit

3 May Mugello Circuit

Edited by gaggle64

Cheers @gaggle64, I've added the Car Launch dates to the opening post.

So no word from Williams on a car launch yet.

I think it's incredibly lame that HRT are once again struggling to get ready for the new season and have said again that they'll be ready to run for the first race.

Kimi's getting back in an F1 car tomorrow! :yay:

Two days of Practice in an old 2010 Renault running on some test tyres or something.

Lotus Renault GP:

"Kimi will be completing a few hours of driving each day (in Valencia), and we will be providing both video and pictures! Stay tuned!"

Completely ignored this thread as revision has taken priority but good lord, this season is going to be incredible! New race in the states will help spice things up alongside 6 world champions driving across 5 different teams..sensational. Massa will be fighting for his seat, Alonso will be pushing as hard as ever and you've got an amazing interteam battle at Mclaren. Add that to Schumacher back on form and a quick Rosberg and you've got many drivers capable of podiums. Also, so hyped for Kimi to be back :D

I'm going to Silverstone this year, bare hyped. Trying to go to Hungary as well but it's not certain. Either way, an N-Europe meet is defo needed. I'm tempted by testing in Mugello, anyone know if it's free to gain access to the place or how expensive it is?

Even I'll admit the 'Return of a Legend' is a bit much... but here's a video Lotus put together from today... The helmet looks lovely!

I'm struggling to find interest this year knowing half the races aren't live on crap man's tv. Bloody Sky ruin everything.

I think I'd be super pissed were I in the UK. As it is I'll do the same as I did this year, watch the iPlayer coverage when I wake up in the morning and then have the forum on while I potter about.

Just thank the lord you don't have to watch any of it on Speed TV, not only do you have to pay, it's utter utter crap.

I'm struggling to find interest this year knowing half the races aren't live on crap man's tv. Bloody Sky ruin everything.

I think the blame should largely be placed on Bernie Ecclestone, money grabber that he is.

The one weekend my family goes on holiday and the race won't be on the BBC, such rotten luck.

THERE ARE NO WORDS...

5Wxz5.gif

The Caterham CT01...

Aj_6btHCAAAjU_G.jpg

502998437.jpg

Just reading on Autosports, apparently this nose design is probably standard across all cars!!!

Nice one FIA!

In 4 years you've gone from some of the prettiest to the ugliest F1 cars ever!

God I hope the top teams find a way around the raised nose height design... F1 can't look like this!

Edited by Retro_Link

Everyone's complaining how "ugly" it is but a race car's beauty is directly proportional to success as a race car, because race car. Let it compete first, then we'll find out exactly how beautiful it is.

Besides, odder things have happened.

tumblr_lten8xWWeC1qfzs7zo1_500.jpg

Is that really how you see it though? The Red Bull 10/11 has been one of the most successful F1 cars ever... but I wouldn't call it a beautiful F1 car.

I don't mind the F1 cars we've had since '09, and I might say I like certain ones, but that's only because I've come to accept them as standard over the last few years.

Put an 2005/6 McLaren MP4-20/21 on the track amongst them, and there's no comparison!

Put an 2005/6 McLaren MP4-20/21 on the track amongst them, and there's no comparison!

See I prefer this....

vodafone-mclaren-mercedes-mp4-26-f1-2011-0.jpg?20110712-094958

to this..

Juan_Pablo_Montoya_Canada_2006_%28crop%29.PNG

Also while looking for the pictures on Google Images this caught my eye..

McLaren-F1-Black-Car-500x318.jpg

@Murr... OK that's a bad angle, that and the late 2006 cars had too many stick on parts.

mclarenmp421racetrack.jpg

alonso_05_auto_schu_424727p.jpg

mclarenmp420mercedes5.jpg

And importantly for me, they look like a step up from the other Formula's, the pinacle of car design.

mp421-lg.jpg

But OK, everyone's gonna have their favourites... I think we can all agree it won't be the 2012 cars though! :p

Edited by Retro_Link

Is that really how you see it though? The Red Bull 10/11 has been one of the most successful F1 cars ever... but I wouldn't call it a beautiful F1 car.

I don't mind the F1 cars we've had since '09, and I might say I like certain ones, but that's only because I've come to accept them as standard over the last few years.

But decades from now it'll be the Red Bull with pride of place in the museum, splashed across sports books and ogled in wistful sports articles and blog posts. So will the 2008 Mclaren '23, which looks like an Airfix kit threw up on it but it won the championship, and so it sits on it's own pedestal. The disastrous 2009 entry looked like a smooth sci-fi arrow but can't be forgotten quickly enough.

Aesthetics are all very well but beautiful looks and beautiful engineering aren't the same thing. You can appreciate form but in F1 function is the be-all and end-all. Your car can be sculpted like a lithe Greek goddess but if it's waddling around the back of the pack like an obese hippo it'll never look uglier. Conversely a car can have a bulbous nose, obtuse sidepods or obscene fin tail but if it wins it'll be the one everyone wants to get to know, to study, to pin on the wall and stare at. It'll be the car that people associate with victory, triumph and glory - a wonky nose won't change that.

Edited by gaggle64

That may all be true, but a cars success doesn't make it a beautiful car, it makes it just that... a successful one.

People remember the winning cars, but the fans also remember the beautiful cars... which is why discussions like these come up around car launches. People will always have a favourite era of design, or favourite cars, a favourite livery, a favourite helmet. They don't have to be winning ones.