N-Europe

Do a barrel roll

Debug Mode

I've noticed it doesn't work if you type 'do a barrel roll' but it does work if you type 'Do a barrel roll'

The capitalisation is irrelevant for me, but you can only do it from the main Google page, not the page displaying results.

Try "Z or R twice" too for the same effect.

That's even better! :D Acknowledging the source of the meme. :)

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane
Automerged Doublepost

I know that, but when I start typing, the automatic search happens and I get the display page automatically which updates as I type.

I get that too, but it still works for me. Just keep typing. As soon as I get to 'barrel' it starts doing its thing heh.

I know that, but when I start typing, the automatic search happens and I get the display page automatically which updates as I type.

That happens to me too but the effect still happens.

In fact I don't even have to finish typing it all, once I get to "do a" the drop down thing fills in the rest and it happens for me.

Though the ZZ or RR doesn't work for me

(on firefox)

We could talk about yesterday's front page news about Justin Bieber potentially being a dad if you'd feel better :p

I hope it is his so he loses his sqeeky clean image :heh:

You have to love some news sites.

Did the Earth move for you? The image in your browser should — well, it should have done a barrel roll. Is it a takeoff on Apple’s iPhones and iPads with their built-in accelerometers — those little gizmos that tell a device when it’s been moved, turned on its side, propped up with one end on top? One blogger suggested Google is invoking Nintendo’s “Star Fox.”

You have to love some news sites.

Even worse is the title of that article I thought

"‘Do a Barrel Roll’: Google Channels Apple and Nintendo" :heh:

Though odd that the quote they got from google seems to suggest (at least to ABC anyway) that it was a reference to neither....

No such notions, says Google, which sent us this explanation:

“Today’s fun query, ‘do a barrel roll,’ was created by a Google software engineer with the primary goal of entertaining users — while showcasing the power of CSS3, a presentation feature of modern browsers. The “do a barrel roll†query, which causes the search page to spin, will remain in place for a while.â€

which is silly as it's clearly a Staf Fox fan and Google Programmer mucking about

In the quote, Google never actually said that it wasn't a reference to Star Fox (which it clearly is).

Good point... though still finding hard to believe Apple has such a hold over its fanboys that "Do a barrel Roll" could be thought of as a reference to turning your iPhone around....GGGGRRRRRRRRR....:mad:

Edit:

Oh and I finally figured out the Z or R Twice... I was just typing "ZZ" and "RR".... didn't realise you actually had to type "z or r twice" :heh: