Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Star Wars

Paj!

I'd like there to be a Star War discussion thread, as I'm in the mood.

StarWarsWallpaper1024.jpg

As some of you may of noticed, I'm currently watching the series in canon-chronological order for the first time. But I've only seen most of the films once each, when they came out, and I never watched the originals as a child, so I don't have the nostalgic memories of them that millions seem to have. I have, however, always liked the universe/fact it exists.

So yeah, Phantom Menace was disgusting, truly an aweful film. Attack of the Clones was marginally better cause of more action (sortof), and Revenge of the Sith was the clear best of the trilogy, despite still actually being bad.

I don't understand how some people (I know) can say things like Daredevil are shit and then not want to kill themselves when Phantom Menace is mentioned.

I love General Greivous' concept, but which he wasn't done shitly. (this could be applied to every character in the prequels though tbf)

ANYWAY. It's not meant to be a purely negative thread - I'm looking foward to seeing the original trilogy again shortly!

MEMORIES/ THOUGHTS / OPINIONS ON THE SERIES? FAVE BITS? LEAST FAVE BITS?

I think Phantom Menace is the least offensive of the new trilogy. It has a pretty cool pod race scene, Darth Maul and the awesome Dual of Fates music. The rest had nothing except horrendous and now dated CG. Those film made special effects look mundane.

Phantom Menace gets far more grief than it deserves, I've always found Attack of the Clones to be worse. The Yoda v Count Dooku fight is absolutely ridiculous.

I won't go into the scene in Revenge of the Sith where several of my favourite Jedi Masters get owned within seconds. Seriously, wtf George!

Phantom Menace gets far more grief than it deserves, I've always found Attack of the Clones to be worse. The Yoda v Count Dooku fight is absolutely ridiculous.

Waddaya mean? It was one of the greatest story twists in film history. Yoda, a character who has been established as being old and slow, suddenly starts unleashing some pimpsmacking action.

If you skip the romance bullshit in Clones it's a much better film.

I won't go into the scene in Revenge of the Sith where several of my favourite Jedi Masters get owned within seconds. Seriously, wtf George!

I never understood why they decided to make Palpatine mega powerful and take out 3 powerful Jedi in under 10 seconds, before toning him down to have his shit ruined by Windu. Jedi are meant to be mega quick, yet Palpatine was able to jump over, crouch land, stand up, pull a dodgy face and then stab a Jedi Master. Fucking pussies.

For me Revenge of the Sith stands out because I actually think it has some genuinely great emotion behind it and some powerful scenes! The film may have flaws, but from start to finish it's extremely well paced and there isn't really a bad scene. I think it's pretty well acted too.

... oh actually I forgot about the scene with Obi Wan riding the lizard... that's BAD!

Attack of the Clones has terrible CGI... the intro Jango Fett chase, the robot factory, the arena battle etc... are just laughable! I don't even really like the look of the end battle. The only saving point of that film for me is Geonosis and the fight (plus the asteroid field bit before that)... but even then, the Geonosians[?], Boba Fett and all the clones kinda let it down a bit.

Phantom Menace may not be great as a whole, but for me it does a decent enough job of setting up the story. Yes Anakin may be annoying, and I really dislike the scene where he autopilots the ship and destroys the space station... but Darth Maul and the epic battle at the end, plus the incredible music, make up for the films shortfalls IMO.

Waddaya mean? It was one of the greatest story twists in film history. Yoda, a character who has been established as being old and slow, suddenly starts unleashing some pimpsmacking action.

I remember at the time thinking it was good, but in retrospect it's beyond stupid. I don't want to say it ruins, but puts a negative mark against Yoda's character. I'd have preferred him to have a more noble fighting style. How many times does Yoda teach patience to pupils, then when it's his turn to fight it's anything but patient.

That's a large part of what is wrong with the prequels, George Lucas already had his older generation sorted. He needed to throw things into the new films for kids. That fight being just one of those things.

I remember the cinema laughed all the way through the Yoda fight. Also when Anakin's mum dies and lets our her death fart groan. Just terrible.

I don't actually remember Revenge of the Sith, bar Anikin's bizarre logic that turning evil would save Natalie Portman...before he then starts strangling her. Just utterly terrible.

And General Grievous? The might as well called him General Bad-Guy.

I'm quite honestly done with the entire Star Wars franchise as universe I want to invest any time, money or energy in. George has butchered it completely beyond repair by now and he'll keep right it for as long as people still go out to by the "limited special edition" DVDs & toys. I have the unmolested original movies on VHS but I can't even be bothered with those anymore.

The final death knell for me was halfway through Attack of the Clones where Ewan McGreggor (still putting a brave face on it god bless him) walks off the mean streets of the republic capital into a New York diner car, complete with nasally West-Side robot waitress. The scene was pointless, idiotic and completely out of place in the Star Wars universe. So why put it in there? Well, here's the fucking action figure -

31SPH2BC14L._SS400_.jpg

And that's about it. Star Wars was always a giant toy commercial really but it at least tried to tell a story. But George has realized everyone's still buying into it anyway, and why would you bother with whole bunch of narrative bullshit when you can just cram as much plastic crap as you can down their throats for a couple of hours?

I don't actually remember Revenge of the Sith, bar Anikin's bizarre logic that turning evil would save Natalie Portman...before he then starts strangling her. Just utterly terrible.
Well yeah it wasn't quite like that though was it. He was promised the power to save her from her death, and it was his jealousy of Obi Wan that made him 'strangle' her.

Things is though, we all knew going into these films what to expect... Anakin would be swayed to the dark side, he'd betray everyone in doing so etc... so really the only option was to not make them (which I imagine many might prefer).

The first image is quite intriguing. I would like Lucas to explain it.
Yeah it's stupid really, it's the same as him not sensing Palpatine.

I think it's meant to be put down to Palpatine using his powers to screen everything that was happening, but really it's not the best!

I think it's pretty well acted too.

No. No scene of the original trilogy was well-acted. Whether that's the actor or the script's fault is up for debate (both). The only one who seemed to try was whoever played Palpatine.

That's ok.

---

Now let's celebrate the fierce Jedi women who were completely SHAFTED in the films. One dies in one of the worst death scenes ever, and one dies in a DELETED SCENE. NO ONE EVEN KNEW SHE DIED!!

4767610645655921.jpg

Shaak Ti, you were great.

aayla-secura.jpg

Aayla Secura, I've had your name stuck in my head for years.