NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Fire Emblem Awakening

I'm not sure if it's for the same reason but I do feel strange playing the FE games on a console instead of a handheld. I think part of that is that with the general lack of onscreen action, it almost feels like a waste. Most of the time is spent reading text against static images or working out numbers were the only thing that changes graphically from one frame to another is the placement of shadows cast by clouds. Also, the gameplay feels slower in general meaning every time I play, I have to set aside a good hour or so to be sure of finishing a chapter - sometimes it's less but sometimes it's more too.

You don't need an all powerful machine to make these games great, as seen with Blazing Sword, but you sure as hell couldn't pull off a 3D Mario game on a GBA. And the shorter levels of the portable games feel easier to fit into my gaming schedule.

Don't know what your beef is with Sacred Stones though. No it isn't as good as it's predecessor was but then it was trying to bring back some old, forgotten ideas, and they were certainly less hated than before so they must have done something right with their implementation. Plus, FE8's soundtrack is much better than 7 - yeah, you read that right.

I pretty much 100% agree.

As for Sacred Stones, I was salivating over it after finishing FE7, but bought it and just lost interest in it, it's waaaaaaaaaaaay too easy, not to mention that it was worse than FE7 in pretty much everything, so I kind of lost interest in it and decided to replay FFTA instead. :D

FFTA, FFT:WOTL, FE7, AW and TO are my personal SRPG elite. =D

I pretty much 100% agree.

As for Sacred Stones, I was salivating over it after finishing FE7, but bought it and just lost interest in it, it's waaaaaaaaaaaay too easy, not to mention that it was worse than FE7 in pretty much everything, so I kind of lost interest in it and decided to replay FFTA instead. :D

FFTA, FFT:WOTL, FE7, AW and TO are my personal SRPG elite. =D

It is a fair bit easier than 7, I will give you that. Even on Hard mode, it only just edges out 7's normal mode (Eliwood's only mind - probably on par with Hector's) but again, it's so easy to level up and... well, it's not cheating as such but the game certainly allows you to stack the deck in your favour.

I recently played through this game, half way through last year after finishing 7, I tehn wwent on to replay Shadow Dragon too, and on one side chapter, I managed to get my 8 people team from about levels 1-4 promoted, to levels 10-12 promoted because the high level enemies fell so easily... not that the zero luck based Morphs of 7 can't be swept aside easily enough with Killer weapons and SwordMasters/Berserkers in the later chapters though, providing they don't end up ganging up on you.

I've never played any of the FF Tactics games... but then I've never played any Final Fantasy game. Never played any Advance Wars either (I'm assuming that's what AW is but then I thought that was more straight up turn based strategy rather than RPG esque so I could be wrong here).

Huh, perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me, but I could swear Ephraim Hard Mode was trickier than a lot of stuff that FE7 throws at you.

(Granted you don't farm the tower for exp, of course)

Sacred Stones is a bit "meh" for me. Nothing in particular pops out about that game other than the great music, the branched promotions, a small handful of chapters and an even smaller number of characters.

Don't know what your beef is with Sacred Stones though. No it isn't as good as it's predecessor was but then it was trying to bring back some old, forgotten ideas, and they were certainly less hated than before so they must have done something right with their implementation. Plus, FE8's soundtrack is much better than 7 - yeah, you read that right.

The ideas it brought back came solely from FE2 (Gaiden). I tried it once (seeing as it's one of the few JP games with a full translation patch), and I can see why it was disliked. Instead of "Story Cutscene", then battle, then another cutscene, it instead went with "cutscene", 6-7 bare maps (comparable to Sacred Stones' tower and ruins) for padding, and then the story can move on again. It was just boring to trudge through, even if the other ideas it introduced had merit.

I've never played any of the FF Tactics games... but then I've never played any Final Fantasy game. Never played any Advance Wars either (I'm assuming that's what AW is but then I thought that was more straight up turn based strategy rather than RPG esque so I could be wrong here).

Well I have good news for you, then... they're completely unrelated to each other so you can (should) just pickup any of the FFT games and give it a go... FFT:WOTL (the psp remake of FFT) and FFTA are the best. FFTA2 isn't a bad game, either.

And Tactis Ogre... check it out. It's a must and people ignore it too much. Also, I completely forgot Disgaea, and it's a fucking must.

And Tactis Ogre... check it out. It's a must and people ignore it too much. Also, I completely forgot Disgaea, and it's a fucking must.

Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis for the GBA is pretty good, true. (I think you might be talking about the PSP game, but they do look very similar)

FFTA is addictive, and quite fun, but strategy doesn't matter as much as it should (if it wasn't for the laws, I'd consider it a bad game).

Disgaea goes even further. That game is more about grinding than actual strategy.

Also, you should definitely try Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (no previous knowledge of the series is needed). That's possibly the most underrated game on the Nintendo DS, imo.

Huh, perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me, but I could swear Ephraim Hard Mode was trickier than a lot of stuff that FE7 throws at you.

(Granted you don't farm the tower for exp, of course)

You're right and solely for the ridiculous Ghost ship chapter. That has got to be one of the most difficult Fire Emblem chapters.

Game confirmed to include dual (Japanese and English) voice overs which is an excellent move by Nintendo. Not something I considered before but it's great to have the option. Just goes to show how much Nintendo are pushing the game.

I think I'll have to give this a go, it's just that I don't normally get on very well with strategy RPGs (thinking particularly of Shining Force and Fire Emblem: the Sacred Stones). I normally get some way into them and get stuck. However, this does seem rather special, and I can always ask you chaps what to do!

I think I'll have to give this a go, it's just that I don't normally get on very well with strategy RPGs (thinking particularly of Shining Force and Fire Emblem: the Sacred Stones). I normally get some way into them and get stuck. However, this does seem rather special, and I can always ask you chaps what to do!

Firstly, since Fire Emblem has a lot of characters, there's no need to train everyone you get, limit yourself to a smaller group (10 or so characters).

Second, at the beginning of the game, you're likely to get someone who's far stronger than your other guys (usually a Paladin). He or she should kill as few enemies as possible, as experience is a valuable and limited resource, and you don't want a single character to get it all, or your army will be hurting in the long run. The weaker characters will catch up to this guy soon enough.

(Those are general tips that work for most Fire Emblems)

Ok so just finished playing the demo of this. Have to say really enjoyed it. Never played a Fire Emblem game (I thought I had and then realised it was Golden Sun on the GBA) Out next week so definitely going to look at picking it up if I can find it for a reasonable price. Not afraid to say I'll be playing on Casual mode purely because of the save anywhere, I get so few moments of gaming these days.

EDIT:

One other thing the cut scenes look fucking gorgeous!

It's actually mildly fortunate they decided to delay its release forever, will have money for a 3ds by the time it comes out :)

The Game Trailers review has Marth based spoilers from the outset - do not watch if you haven't already had some internet idiot spoil it for you!!

That's why I read the review instead. Even if there weren't any spoilers, I still wouldn't watch it, simply because I want to experience it ALL for myself.

Nintendolife Review (Summary):

"Fire Emblem: Awakening's masterful tightrope walk between luring in curious onlookers and appealing to the hardest of cores is a sight to behold. It doesn't matter whether you've been strategizing with Marth since the NES days or only know him as the weird blue-haired guy from Super Smash Bros: Fire Emblem: Awakening's tale of heroism, colorful cast of characters and richly rewarding gameplay are sure to sink their talons in for a very long time. Who knows, with practice a beginner might even come around to the whole perma-death challenge thing. While the multiplayer options may be a little iffy depending on your circumstances, the sheer amount of quality content and replay value make this one icon sure to spend a long time on your 3DS menu. Have no fear: Fire Emblem: Awakening is here."

9/10

Full review: http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/fire_emblem_awakening

if you haven't already had some internet idiot spoil it for you!!

EDIT: Just remembered my post showing the cover of the Knights of Iris... did I spoil you?

:woops:

That's why I read the review instead. Even if there weren't any spoilers, I still wouldn't watch it, simply because I want to experience it ALL for myself.

True, but the IGN footage is composed almost entirely of the opening cutscene footage which Nintendo showed off in the Nintendo Direct when they announced the game back in April time and a few battle animations and menu management that doesn't mean anything by itself. Nintendo's own recent trailers give more away than the IGN review does.

It kind of annoys me because even people in this thread have posted the exact same level of spoiler without so much as a second thought - and other websites have done the same too. It seems so many places have been trying to rob me of the pleasure that comes with self discovery.

EDIT: Just remembered my post showing the cover of the Knights of Iris... did I spoil you?

:woops:

I first had it spoilered by GoNintendo who posted a picture of that book on their site. It had kinda left my memory, or was sitting in the back at least (probably leading to an "oh yeah" moment rather than a "wtf?" moment), but then your recent posting brought the whole thing back tothe front and I've never forgotten since.

Edited by Captain Falcon
Automerged Doublepost

I know apologising won't wipe your memory...but I'm seriously sorry for that. I'll make sure I'm a LOT more careful from now on.

The Game Trailers review has Marth based spoilers from the outset - do not watch if you haven't already had some internet idiot spoil it for you!!

To be fair that happens extremely early in the game...

I know apologising won't wipe your memory...but I'm seriously sorry for that. I'll make sure I'm a LOT more careful from now on.

It's ok. You only stepped on toes that have already been driven over with a truck - the damage was already done.

I mean, a don't mind engaging in a bit of speculation, like with all the Black Knight stuff in PoR/RD but if someone had shown me a picture with his helmet off before I'd played the game, I'd be a bit miffed - especially if it was before its release.

And since there are very few games I've been looking forward to like this so it makes it worse. Fell free to go around spoilering games I don't care about mind :p

I kinda like the sound of the 'casual' mode :red: Being relatively unfamiliar with traditional RPGs, I do find Fire Emblem quite intimidating so this could be a great stepping stone for me :hehe: I never even really grasped Advance Wars: Dual Strike..

Well I didn't know that either but it really isn't the point.

Right, I'm leaving this thread now for my own safety - see you some time in April/May once I've beat it : peace:

I kinda like the sound of the 'casual' mode :red: Being relatively unfamiliar with traditional RPGs, I do find Fire Emblem quite intimidating so this could be a great stepping stone for me :hehe: I never even really grasped Advance Wars: Dual Strike..

Ironic, considering Casual Mode removes what makes the series unlike other RPGs :heh:

Well I didn't know that either but it really isn't the point.

Right, I'm leaving this thread now for my own safety - see you some time in April/May once I've beat it : peace:

Yeah I guess you right...but yeah it's in the demo...

I wish I had read this before going straight to the video... What kind of gaming review site would include such spoilers, jesus.

This makes it better though :)