NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Fire Emblem Awakening

Fuck yeah, Elincia! :yay:

She forgot her pants, though...I'm going to be an optimist and believe this is because the models of Pegasus Knights in this game are also designed like that.

Gentlemen,

I would like to apologise deeply and sincerely for not having touched this series up 'till now.

Yesterday, I played the beginning of The Sacred Stones, and I got the impression that it goes deeper on certain levels than Advance Wars (one of my favourite series) and the fact that if a teammate dies, he dies, is as brilliant as it is awesome.

My backlog needs to start incorporating Fire Emblem games.

Any suggestions?

Depends if you want to play them in English or Japanese. The titles released in English are:

GBA:

Fire Emblem (7th game, also known as Blazing Sword, or Rekka no Ken)

Gamecube:

Path of Radiance

Wii:

Radiant Dawn

DS:

Shadow Dragon (remake of the first game)

GBA also has the Japanese only Sealed Sword (Fuuin no Tsurugi, the one with Roy :P) and DS New Mystery of the Emblem (Monshou no Nazo Hikari to Kage)

I'd say all the English ones are worth playing. Shadow Dragon is the weakest of the selection. Path of Radiance is pretty rare and expensive nowadays, but Radiant Dawn follows on from it. I'd recommend Fire Emblem and Path of Radiance.

Some pretty good recs there Ike, I've yet to play Path of Radiance myself. I did start Radiant Dawn during the Christmas holidays but haven't played a home console game since. do you think it would be worth some of the prices that are floating around, or should I just continue with Radiant Dawn?

Some pretty good recs there Ike, I've yet to play Path of Radiance myself. I did start Radiant Dawn during the Christmas holidays but haven't played a home console game since. do you think it would be worth some of the prices that are floating around, or should I just continue with Radiant Dawn?

Personally I'm hoping that the Wii U offers Gamecube games for download. The prices for Path of Radiance are crazy.

Edit: But then again, I'm not crazy about playing games on different controllers to which they were designed on.

Edited by V. Amoleo
Edit

Offering GCN games on the WiiU's VC service? if so then count me in. The possibility to have all of the Smash Bros. games on one console... Wowza!

It will give a LOT of people the chance to play some truly great games that they may have missed out during the GCN's lifespan. Some of my favourite games ever came from the Cube so I would definitely 'download' GCN games if they provided it.

Hmmm, that probably depends on how much you liked Radiant Dawn. RD carries on the story from PoR, RD answered some questions left over from the story from PoR so a few things may make sense from playing it first.

Quick search on eBay suggests your going to have to pay about £50+ for a copy. If you can find it for a reasonable price go ahead. I'm finding it a bit hard to justify for over £50 but that's just me :P

Mind you, I did buy it in both Japanese and English.

@Fused King: Here is a list (+important points) of the entire series:

Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light (NES) - Featuring Marth. Being the original, it lacks a lot of features introduced later. There are remakes on the SNES and the DS.

Gaiden (NES) - Featuring Alm & Celica, each with their own army. The "oddball" of the series, there's a world map, branched promotions, you can grind for experience... Sacred Stones is based off this one.

Mystery of the Emblem (SNES) - There's two parts to this game. Book 1 is a remake of the first game. Book 2 is a direct sequel (also featuring Marth). It's the most popular FE in Japan.

Genealogy of the Holy War (SNES) - Featuring Sigurd and a darker, grittier story. Introduced skills, among other more complex gameplay elements. Fans tend to consider it one of the best.

Thracia 776 (SNES) - Featuring Leaf, and set during the previous game. This is the hardest and most complex game in the series. Fairly obscure, considering it was released in 1999 (two years before the Cube).

Sword of Seals (GBA) - Featuring Roy, this game was back to basics. Introduced the "Support" system that's so adored by fans (FE4 had a similar concept, though). I hear it was inspired by the Marth games.

It should be noted, there are translation patches for every Japanese game (except New Mystery, which is in-progress).

Blazing Sword (GBA) - Featuring Lyn, Eliwood & Hector, it's set 20 years before Sword of Seals. First game to be released in English (it's just "Fire Emblem" here). Also considered one of the best (and my personal favourite).

Sacred Stones (GBA) - Featuring Eirika & Ephraim, it was inspired by Gaiden. Still a bit of an oddball.

Path of Radiance (Gamecube) - Featuring Ike, and introducing the Laguz. Brought back skills, and introduces several new features (Base Conversations and Bonus EXP being the most notable).

Radiant Dawn (Wii) - Featuring Ike & Micaiah, it's a direct sequel to PoR. Refined every gameplay element from PoR. Hardest game to be released in English. Lacks support conversations (its greatest flaw). It's still one of the best.

Shadow Dragon (DS) - Remake of the first game. Actually lacks many gameplay features from the series. Still, introduces the "Class Change" system. Considered to be weak.

New Mystery of the Emblem (DS) - Remake of Book 2 from the 3rd game. Only released in Japan. Supposed to actually be a lot better than Shadow Dragon.

Awakening (3DS) - This one :heh:

Blazing Sword and Path of Radiance are the best suggestions, really. Radiant Dawn is awesome, but it is best to play PoR first to follow the plot better (though I can give you a summary of PoR, if you wish)

Mind is blown.

It sort of looks like the Final Fantasy of Intelligent Systems in terms of mixed abroad/domestic releases, rereleases and whatnot :laughing:

I'll keep this in mind, and will ask you what to do next once I'd like to play another Fire Emblem game after Sacred Stones.

If that's considered the odd one out, I do wonder what a 'real' Fire Emblem game is like.

Yeah it sucks, we've only got 5 out of 13 games. Didn't quite realize until we listed them out :laughing: It's only because of Smash Bros Melee we even got Blazing Sword in the first place.

Blazing sword was absolutely awesome! it was the second Fire Emblem game I've ever played, it's definitely my favourite though, my best characters were Hector, Raven, Jaffar & Erk, they were my mini beast team, especially Raven as a Hero after his class change. my gosh!

I'm going to look for my cartridge...

I think I replay Blazing Sword once a year :heh: Normally to get the remaining supports, but I once also participated in a "Draft", a game where we can only use a small selection of characters, and then try to finish the game with the least turns possible.

Fire Emblem has so much replayability.

By the way, Fused King, Sacred Stones is an oddball because you can grind, and freely return to shops you visited before. Fire Emblem is all about limiting your resources (equipment, money, experience, characters, etc.), so this is seen as a bit odd. If you choose to not do those things, it's just like the others (maybe a bit shorter).

Edited by Jonnas

Right, so I've been meaning to buy Shadow Dragon at a low price, but it's been difficult. Seeing as my online shopping experience is limited to Ebay and Amazon, and that a search function leads me to dubious results, do you know of any place that could be selling it for a reasonable price? I really don't mind if it's used.

(Also, if there's a better place to be asking this, tell me)

Can't seem to find it anywhere that's not Amazon/eBay, not even second hand. Thought there would be more copies floating around.

Next DLC character is the lance wielding Lord, Ephraim! He gets some good artwork as well.

dlc0517b_img.jpg

Are the new artists you mentioned before drawing all character designs? Ephraim looks really close to his original SS art, minus the 'new' Armour. He's looking mighty icy.

EDIT: was just checking the JP site, noticed 4 stars underneath his profile... what are these stars for? I checked the other DLC characters; Elincia had 3, Micaiah, Alm & Leaf 2, Roy & Marth with 1.

Edited by -Dem0-

Are the new artists you mentioned before drawing all character designs? Ephraim looks really close to his original SS art, minus the 'new' Armour. He's looking mighty icy.

Different artists for each character. Their name is on the bottom right of the image. For example; Sachiko Wada (Did some art in Path of Radiance) did Roy, Wada Arco (Does art for Fate/Extra) did Micaiah. I don't know who drew Ephraim's though.

EDIT: was just checking the JP site, noticed 4 stars underneath his profile... what are these stars for? I checked the other DLC characters; Elincia had 3, Micaiah, Alm & Leaf 2, Roy & Marth with 1.

I think it's the difficulty of the DLC.

thanks for the clarification. Looks like Japan has only 3 more weeks to claim their 'free' Marth DLC (ends 31st May). I don't know if this was mentioned before but how long will DLC be provided.

Edited by -Dem0-

Hey, I know him!

I just did a mission with him. Chapter 6.

Awesome sauce:D

Ephraim has possibly the best artwork of all the DLC characters thus far. Marth is a close second.

Next up is Celice.

dlc0524b_img.jpg

Here's some more info:

- Celice from Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu will be available as DLC on 5/27 for 400 yen

- Silver Card DLC will be available for 300 yen

- this allows you to receive a Silver Card, among other goods

- you'll also fight against enemies on a special map

I knew these two characters looked alike, but I hadn't noticed Ephraim's new armour also resembled Geoffrey's...