NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Fire Emblem Awakening

Even though it was my least favourite FE (still a good game), I don't know why they're doing that.

Even though it was my least favourite FE (still a good game), I don't know why they're doing that.

It sold poorly, fans weren't pleased, and they aren't releasing the sequel (New Mystery of the Emblem).

I guess they somehow concluded that localising Akaneia was a mistake (when in reality, it was because that one game, Shadow Dragon, had several flaws).

Still a bit strange to remove it though even with poor sales.

Maybe this is just me being optimistic, but perhaps they have removed it because it might feature on a new website for Fire Emblem Awakening as part of a "history of Akaneia" piece - or if Awakening gets added just to the existing FE site, then it will be found in that section and its removal is part of a restructuring of the site.

To be honest, the only FE site anybody needs is Serenes Forest anyway since everywhere else just robs it's info from there - I guess the FE wikia isn't bad though.

Artbook is currently in Paris. So close, and yet so far...

What's the estimated arrival time?

Don't forget to post pics when you get it! :)

OK, it arrived today and it's huge. 320 pages, really nice feeling high quality paper.

I took some photos, but I'm not very at taking photos so they might not turn out great. May have my thumb in a few of them :P Tried to avoid spoilers where possible but if I missed anything then I apologize.

They turned out a bit grainy, sorry. Good excuse to buy the book for higher quality images :P

Haven't resized the images down, sorry 56k users.

Front cover, gets it's own spoiler tag because it's super spoilery:

IMG_20121217_210700.jpg

Inside page:

IMG_20121217_211741.jpg

First section is character art and some various other game artwork.

IMG_20121217_211759.jpg

IMG_20121217_211911.jpg

Interesting fact*: I thought Chrom was spelt Krom but I guess that was a fan name, saw the US version used Chrom and thought it looked weird. Not that Krom doesn't look weird.

* May not be interesting at all.

IMG_20121217_212000.jpg

DLC character artwork:

IMG_20121217_212027.jpg

Micaiah got a page to herself :P

Next section is concept sketches, and my thumb:

IMG_20121217_212100.jpg

It's very detailed. There's even a section about the costume designs.

Weapon designs, even shows the most legendary weapon in the game (it's the stick):

IMG_20121217_212146.jpg

Dotted throughout the book are "Lines of Characters". I'm guessing these are quotes from the game.

Next section is screens of the event cut scenes.

After that is the proposal scene character artwork.

Didn't photo these due to spoilers blahblahblah.

Story boards for cut scenes:

IMG_20121217_212234.jpg

Section 3 is "Player's Voice". Took me a while to work out what this was but I think it's a popularity poll of the Awakening characters. A Q&A section and some "4 Koma" comics

IMG_20121217_212303.jpg

Section 4 is character profiles (or Plofiles as they called it on the 2nd page, some nice Engrish there). Basically shows all the different types of profile images for each character (you know, the head shot image that shows during dialogue). Below shows the My Unit.

IMG_20121217_212344.jpg

Next sections just shows all the collect in game cards and then a section about the story.

At the end of the book is a huge section listing all the support conversations! :o

So yeah, it's a really nice book with loads of content, artwork is fantastic. Shame I can't Japanese but never mind. Worth an import if your a big Fire Emblem fan.

@Ike That looks awesome. I'd wouldn't mind a copy myself but I just find the fact I wouldn't be able to read just a bit too much off putting. It's almost as if my college course was a waste of time...

In other news, in the US, GameStop preorders come with a limited edition Character Art book. I sure hope we get something like that over here though ours will more than likely be a club Nintendo registration reward if we do.

@Ike That looks awesome. I'd wouldn't mind a copy myself but I just find the fact I wouldn't be able to read just a bit too much off putting. It's almost as if my college course was a waste of time...

Yeah, but it is mostly an art book so it's not too bad. Can still enjoy the artwork. Fire Emblem doesn't seem to get much stuff like this, even in Japan and there's no way we'll get an English version so I think it was worth importing.

I see the Yanks are getting a demo of the game this month!

*shakes angry fist*

Jealous. Plus it'll be out there in less than a month. :(

Here's the press release:

Nintendo has revealed new information about Fire Emblem Awakening, launching exclusively for Nintendo 3DS on Feb. 4. The story of Fire Emblem Awakening begins in the kingdom of Ylisse and centers on Lord Chrom, the brother of Ylisse's Holy Ruler. Chrom leads the Shepherds, a band of soldiers who defend the borders of Ylisse from Plegian bandits. Players create a custom avatar and play as Chrom's right-hand man who is deeply ingrained in the main storyline. In addition to an immersive storyline, Fire Emblem Awakening keeps the adventure going with StreetPass and SpotPass functionality, as well as downloadable content available for purchase. Newly revealed information includes the following:

Downloadable Content: Maps will be available to purchase and download starting on launch day, and others will be distributed regularly. The first downloadable map will be available for free for a limited time only and will serve as an introduction to the steady weekly stream of additional maps. The additional maps will be offered at different price points. Players with a copy of Fire Emblem Awakening and a broadband Internet connection will be able to access the downloadable content through the Outrealm Gate located on the in-game world map, which will be unlocked after the player completes the fifth mission in the main story mode. The content will include additional information about new class types, skills, playable characters, maps with new storylines and special maps that let players earn more experience points, gold or other rare items.

SpotPass: In addition to content that can be purchased from within the game, Nintendo will also distribute new content via SpotPass for free. SpotPass content will be distributed in the launch time frame and will feature new maps with new storylines, characters and items.

StreetPass: Fire Emblem Awakening players can set up a StreetPass Team and exchange certain game data with other players. The StreetPass Team is made up of 10 units from an existing team in story mode. Players can also edit team names and create custom messages for other players to see. StreetPass characters will randomly appear on the world map, giving players the option to recruit the team leader with gold, buy any weapons or items the team is carrying or battle and win to recruit the leader for free. Like the random battles in the main story mode, the player will have full control of battles in StreetPass mode. Players will also earn "renown" based on battles won. A players' "renown" is visible to other players through StreetPass.

Fans can also try out Fire Emblem Awakening prior to launch by downloading the free demo available in the Nintendo eShop. The demo will be available on Jan. 17. When the game launches on Feb. 4, shoppers can purchase the packaged game as usual at retail locations nationwide. Or they can simply purchase and download the game on their own from the Nintendo eShop using a wireless broadband connection. Regardless of their purchasing method, the game sells for a suggested retail price of $39.99. For more information about Fire Emblem Awakening, visit http://fireemblem.nintendo.com/.

First DLC will be free like in Japan. Didn't know it had Spotpass stuff though.

Not only are the Yanks getting a demo and the game first but now they are also getting the FE 3DS model as well!

Wonder if we get this treatment?

Aww hell naw! We had better be getting this 3DS model too (and preferably with the option to have a physical card version of the game instead of a pre-installed download)

SHIBATA PLZ!

Looks like the original 3DS model, I wanted an XL limited edition version. :P

I'm not too fussed about the demo really as I don't think you will be able to glean that much about the game from it as will only be a couple of tutorial chapters at best and for all it's changes, it's not like we are being presented with a completely different type of game although this one does seem to have more changes that most of the franchises sequels see (even if some are returning features).

I am glad to see Nintendo do the Limited Edition console though. Not because I would swap my ordinary blue one for it (despite it being quite sexy), but because it's a signal of intent to promote the franchise in a bigger way.

Fire Emblem sales had been falling in the East and West but with Awakening, NoJ gave it a massive push and presented it as a real system highlight. It since went on to be the best selling title since the Super Famicom days. I'd like to see a similar success story outside of Japan too.

I'm not gonna play the demo until the game comes out anyway. Don't want to spoil my first experience of the game! (and it's not like I don't know if I want it :p )

Fire Emblem Awakening is currently £27 on Zavvi. You have to use the voucher code which is under the release date.

I can't really recommend Zavvi if you want it on release though. I pre-ordered Paper Mario Sticker Star with them in March of last year and ended up cancelling the order a couple of weeks after release because they showed no intention of sending it.

I'm not too fussed about the demo really as I don't think you will be able to glean that much about the game from it as will only be a couple of tutorial chapters at best and for all it's changes, it's not like we are being presented with a completely different type of game although this one does seem to have more changes that most of the franchises sequels see (even if some are returning features).

I am glad to see Nintendo do the Limited Edition console though. Not because I would swap my ordinary blue one for it (despite it being quite sexy), but because it's a signal of intent to promote the franchise in a bigger way.

Fire Emblem sales had been falling in the East and West but with Awakening, NoJ gave it a massive push and presented it as a real system highlight. It since went on to be the best selling title since the Super Famicom days. I'd like to see a similar success story outside of Japan too.

Demo is good for people who haven't played the game and want to try it out.

NoA are certainly pushing the game, they are doing character profiles, the LE bundle, the demo which is a good sign after Shadow Dragon and the total lack of New Mystery of the Emblem.

Speaking of preorders, noticed Shopto have it up for preorders at last.

Demo is good for people who haven't played the game and want to try it out.

Oh I'm not denying it's good for that, I just meant me specifically - there is no way I'm not going to get it and so I don't need the demo. I still hope it comes this way for other people though and again, it ties into the sales push like the Limited Edition 3DS.

It seems this is the game that'll make me go back to the FE IP. :D

Not really sure why but I have no patience for SRPG games in home consoles, I couldn't get invested in Path Of Radiance (and never tried the Wii one), this is the type of game I love to play in bed! I didn't like Sacred Stones, but loved FE7, and it seems like this game will be the one to quench my FE thirst. :D

It seems this is the game that'll make me go back to the FE IP. :D

Not really sure why but I have no patience for SRPG games in home consoles, I couldn't get invested in Path Of Radiance (and never tried the Wii one), this is the type of game I love to play in bed! I didn't like Sacred Stones, but loved FE7, and it seems like this game will be the one to quench my FE thirst. :D

I'm not sure if it's for the same reason but I do feel strange playing the FE games on a console instead of a handheld. I think part of that is that with the general lack of onscreen action, it almost feels like a waste. Most of the time is spent reading text against static images or working out numbers were the only thing that changes graphically from one frame to another is the placement of shadows cast by clouds. Also, the gameplay feels slower in general meaning every time I play, I have to set aside a good hour or so to be sure of finishing a chapter - sometimes it's less but sometimes it's more too.

You don't need an all powerful machine to make these games great, as seen with Blazing Sword, but you sure as hell couldn't pull off a 3D Mario game on a GBA. And the shorter levels of the portable games feel easier to fit into my gaming schedule.

Don't know what your beef is with Sacred Stones though. No it isn't as good as it's predecessor was but then it was trying to bring back some old, forgotten ideas, and they were certainly less hated than before so they must have done something right with their implementation. Plus, FE8's soundtrack is much better than 7 - yeah, you read that right.