NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Fire Emblem Awakening

So I've been spending a lot of time with this over the past few days (15 or so hours in) and am now able to win a battle losing only one or two guys, sometimes none. What a game this is though! I can't believe I hadn't given this series a go before and I'm now eagerly awaiting Fates. I think Awakening is the perfect introduction to the series and I'm not at all surprised it sold so well.

Permadeath being optional was just the right decision for this series, business wise.

It definitely helped to boost the sales.

Dark Horse Comics are publishing the Fire Emblem: Knights of Iris art book next year. I own the Japanese version and it's worth picking up.

It's available to preorder from Amazon.

It finally arrived today. The thing is massive! I think it's about the same size as the Hyrule Historia.

I had mine delivered to my parents, so I probably won't pick it until tomorrow. The digital version came out about a week ago so I bought that as well, thought it might be more convenient to read.

Checked my Amazon order, and I ordered it in December! :o

Checked my Amazon order, and I ordered it in December! :o

Yeah, same. Crazy that it's taken nearly a year to make it's way over here.

So, I finally got a 3DS, and this as my first game for it. I realise that, for a FE fan, I'm weirdly late to the party, but hey, better late than never :heh:

I decided to start with Classic Mode on Hard right off the bat (I'm hardcore like that), and I've been enjoying it very much. I'm currently on Chapter 5 (after recruiting Donny), and I have a few stray thoughts:

-I had to restart a chapter because Sully missed a 97% hit. Then had to do it again because a bandit with 11% hit managed to crit me. Classic Fire Emblem tactic;

-On a more serious note, this game looks to subscribe to the Binding Blade school of probability, as a lot of enemies keep hitting me with 40~60% chance to do so. There's no enemy I can underestimate;

-I'm still getting used to the Pair Up mechanic, but it's definitely a game-changer. This one time, I passed Vaike around four different allies in the same turn, simply because he provided them with +4 attack. He helped kill 3 enemies while getting 0 XP for his trouble :heh: But yeah, very good mechanic.

-The FMVs look absolutely gorgeous. It might be the smaller screen, but damn, they're so pretty.

-I've gotten used to the art style for the characters, but I don't think I'll ever get used to the armour/wardrobe designs. Whether it be Kellam's 80s sci-fi shoulders, Virion's side disks, Lissa's cage-dress, or Sully&Stahl's toilet helmets, I can't shake off how cumbersome they all look.

Anyway, I'm about to face some of the traditional Wyvern Riders of the "evil nation". Let's see how that goes.