Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

Shorty

I'll just leave this link here. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_scat_283926_ln?rh=n%3A283926%2Ck%3Aone+piece+manga+uk&keywords=one+piece+manga+uk&ie=UTF8&qid=1361788394&scn=283926&h=1ded19947173d6812f9b5193a72d0388fd0acdd8

Seriously, people should buy them if you like One Piece since it as looking very unlikely we would get these at all for a long time.

I've never watched One Piece. In fact the anime I watch/watched is Naruto and FMA. Is it worth picking up the 1st box set when it's out?

One Piece is fantastic Ramar. Will make you laugh, make you cry, make you laugh some more. As long as you're getting the uncut one and not the 4Kids dub, you're gonna have a good time.

But £26 per season? For a show that started airing 13 years ago? To buy every episode at this price would cost over £550 and take up half my bookcase.

Nah, I'll start buying long-series anime when they start releasing it in a more sensible format at a more reasonable price.

Edited by Shorty

I've never watched One Piece. In fact the anime I watch/watched is Naruto and FMA. Is it worth picking up the 1st box set when it's out?

Yeah, I recommend you should check it out, it's my favourite anime/manga although I wouldn't say I was into many.

A lot of people don't get into it until the Arlong Park arc which would be the second set and the UK release isn't until July. It's a got a lot of comedy moments, some serious moments, emotional moments, bits of everything. has some great/odd characters and you often get a lot of back story on them, which is better than it sounds. Each of the main Straw hats have their own back story, dreams and motives which is pretty interesting.

Maybe try streaming a few episodes online first? FUNImation/Hulu streams them but you need to get around their IP block.

It's a massive series, mind. Japan is at episode 586 so it's a pretty big investment.

I'm not very good at explaining things like this so I'm probably not selling it very well. :P

But £26 per season? For a show that started airing 13 years ago? To buy every episode at this price would cost over £550 and take up half my bookcase.

Nah, I'll start buying long-series anime when they start releasing it in a more sensible format at a more reasonable price.

Yeah, at least we're not getting the 13 episode per set boxsets. Think you'll be waiting a long time for complete box sets.

Edited by Ike

I'm just happy that One Piece is finally being released here - the value is also amazing, anime releases in the west have come a long-ass way.

Put me down as day one for these new boxsets (money permitting) - it'll be great to finally watch this legendary series.

I'm just happy that One Piece is finally being released here - the value is also amazing, anime releases in the west have come a long-ass way.

Put me down as day one for these new boxsets (money permitting) - it'll be great to finally watch this legendary series.

Oh yes, been waiting for this. I've held back from watching any One Piece until I could get some sets. My Naruto collection is up to date as is my Bleach stuff so it'll be nice to start building another collection.

Dragonball Z Battle of the Gods Trailer 4:

Gotenks!

HORY SHETTT, FLOW COVERING CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA? Is it bad that I'm more hyped for that than the movie?

It looks.. kinda shit, but I think it's probably best I go and see it considering it's fucking Dragon Ball and I loved that shit as a kid. Would have blown my mind if I knew back then that I'd be in Japan and watching a new Dragon Ball movie, wouldn't be so hyped about how ugly I'd become though haha.

The Japanese fast food chain advertisements begin.

FmcKJkQ.jpg

The animation in the early commercial shots weep with the vile pus of the Dragon Ball Kai art team.

---

Not really sure how to feel about with Battle of the Gods. Is it okay to be excited as hell while still expecting (or knowing) it will be a huge disappointment? I still adore Dragon Ball (unlike most anime fans who turned their back on it after discovering more recent series) and I enjoyed the other Dragon Ball movies for what they were, so more of the same wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Hell, as a Dragon Ball fan you kind of have to roll with the repetition of it all.

The recent Jump Special was actually a lot more fun than I expected, so I guess it's okay to at least be somewhat excited.

I read a rumour there will be a new Super Saiyan form in this film that would serve to obliterate DragonBall GT's canonicity, so I'm glad the film is coming out for that reason alone. The only good thing about GT is the rad soundtrack.

My predictable story prediction is as follows:

Main cast doing something dumb or unusual at the start of the movie. New bad guy shows up wanting to destroy the Earth with a few minions, big fight with him and his minions. Everyone, especially Piccolo, Yamcha, Tien and Krillin get beaten up leaving only the goddamn SUPER SAIYANS to duke it out as always. Even the combined strength of Goku and co. can't beat this new super power but out of nowhere Goku then finds the strength to defeat the bad guy and everyone goes back to doing the dumb out of place thing they were doing at the start of the movie.

Edited by Guy

One Piece Chapter 700

1.jpg

Another amazing chapter. Great story progression, new revelations, new characters too!

Before Doflamingo stepped down as Shichibukai, all seven places were filled. Here's the page showcasing the pirates along with their titles:

k015.jpg

I had guessed that Buggy would become a warlord, but does that now confirm the letter that he received after Marineford was regarding this?

With Doflamingo relinquishing his position, there are now 5 warlords + the unknown character that was not yet shown.

How did Doflamingo get a hold of Ace's Devil Fruit? he couldn't have used 'smile' as that only produces Zoan type fruits. So did he use the same method that Blackbeard used during Marineford? Also I don't really see Luffy being forced to go after Doflamingo just because he now has Mera-Mera no mi.

Now we know that Kid, Apoo & Hawkins have aligned to take down an Emperor, the only question left is; which one? I doubt it'll be Big Mam, as they're already targeting the Straw Hats and that looks set to be a future Arc but at the same time I can see it happening as Eustass has already attacked some of their vessels and they may decide to finish it off.

What would be interesting to see is whether both alliances end up gunning for Kaidou, how would that pan out?

Finally, we see Fleet Admiral Sakazuki has already dispatched Fujitora, who is s/he? I'm guessing that they're one of the new Admirals as Akainu was confident that they would get rid of the new Straw-Heart alliance on their own, in a single day to boot. If that's the then they surely must be a considerable force in the Marines.

Another amazing chapter.

Anyone read it?

Edited by -Dem0-

I had guessed that Buggy would become a warlord, but does that now confirm the letter that he received after Marineford was regarding this?

Haha, can't believe they made Buggy a Warlord, he's a total joke. Shall be hilarious, can't wait to see him in future chapters.

It wasn't a special ability or anything, the Devil Fruit just comes back after the owner dies. Blackbeard's Devil Fruit Power allows him to gain more than 1 DFP, normally a person who already has a DF will die if they eat another.

Maybe he just managed to grab it during the confusion at Marineford? Blackbeard only got Whitebeard's Devil Fruit after he died, I don't think we saw anyone get Ace's. Luffy left the battle shortly after Ace's death so we don't really know what happened after that.

How did Doflamingo get a hold of Ace's Devil Fruit? he couldn't have used 'smile' as that only produces Zoan type fruits. So did he use the same method that Blackbeard used during Marineford? Also I don't really see Luffy being forced to go after Doflamingo just because he now has Mera-Mera no mi.

Edited by Ike
Spoilers ;P

Haha, can't believe they made Buggy a Warlord, he's a total joke. Shall be hilarious, can't wait to see him in future chapters.

Indeed! He's absolutely hilarious, love his "Flashy" personality.

It wasn't a special ability or anything, the Devil Fruit just comes back after the owner dies. Blackbeard's Devil Fruit Power allows him to gain more than 1 DFP, normally a person who already has a DF will die if they eat another.

Maybe he just managed to grab it during the confusion at Marineford? Blackbeard only got Whitebeard's Devil Fruit after he died, I don't think we saw anyone get Ace's. Luffy left the battle shortly after Ace's death so we don't really know what happened after that.

Oh right. Can't remember anything about DF's returning after their host has died, maybe I overlooked it.

Also about Blackbeard. I thought it wasn't due to his DF power that allowed him to take another, instead I thought it was like Marco said; Teach's makeup is different to others in a way that it allows him to have more than one DF power.

Was that in the Manga, becuase I have only been watching the episodes only until Fishman Island finished.

Btw, you should probably spoiler tag that, Ike.

Indeed! He's absolutely hilarious, love his "Flashy" personality.

Oh right. Can't remember anything about DF's returning after their host has died, maybe I overlooked it.

Also about Blackbeard. I thought it wasn't due to his DF power that allowed him to take another, instead I thought it was like Marco said; Teach's makeup is different to others in a way that it allows him to have more than one DF power.

Was that in the Manga, becuase I have only been watching the episodes only until Fishman Island finished.

Oh, not sure then, might have to re-read some stuff then, I might have assumed it was because of his DFP. I think I thought it was an extension of his power since he can nullify other people's Devil Fruit Power like when he fought Ace.

Btw, you should probably spoiler tag that, Ike.

Oops, missed that one. ;) Fixed. :)

Update:

Re-read chapter 557, so we don't actually see what Blackbeard did so could be anything. Maybe because he's a "D" he has some sort of special ability? Or Vegapunk invited some machine that allows it? Or maybe it was his Devil Fruit Power in the end? Who knows?

Edited by Ike

1. Can anyone actually stand Goku's Japanese voice? It is high-pitched beyond belief, not the voice of a man with muscles on his eyeballs.

Nope. Especially after watching the English Dub. Are there major differences between the JP original and the Eng Dub?

1. Can anyone actually stand Goku's Japanese voice? It is high-pitched beyond belief, not the voice of a man with muscles on his eyeballs.

I like his Japanese voice.

Nope. Especially after watching the English Dub. Are there major differences between the JP original and the Eng Dub?

English dub has major inaccuracies, for example Vegeta claims Goku's father is a scientist.

There was one important scene that I had the English voices on with subtitles for the Japanese version and they were completely different.

They fixed some stuff for Kai but I don't know how far they went.

The newer English dub for Kai is pretty damn good, but the original Japanese voices will always be superior. The dubbed background music is also awful. The original Z dub was killed for me when the show was being aired on Cartoon Network and they randomly switched from the Ocean Group episodes to the Funimation ones. I never liked Vegeta's Funimation voice actor.

The main issue I have with Kai is the inconsistent artwork. One minute you're watching a super nice shot from the old series in glorious HD, then suddenly you're watching a lazily re-trace scene that looks like something a 14 year old kid would unleash on Deviantart. I know why they had to redraw a lot of the flashing scenes, but they're so hard on the eyes.

I also hate how the music guy pretty much ripped off a bunch of western musical tracks in the Kai score so Toei fired his ass and replaced half of Kai's home video episodes with the original series background music. It's a very inconsistent series and the older BGM being inserted doesn't feel anywhere near as natural as it should.

That said, I'll probably buy Kai on Blu-ray sometime. I like the fact it has been created to adhere more closely to the original manga. The original series is great, but god damn does it hit you with a bunch of filler.

It actually hurts a little to hear how old the actress who does Goku is getting in the Battle of the Gods trailer.

Edited by Guy

Thanks for that. I should probably watch the original then. I watched the entire Dragon ball series dubbed and some of the movies too, but that was YEARS ago, I mean toonami days.

At the moment my definitive version of DBZ is a cheap set of Hong Kong bootlegs containing rips of the Dragon Box releases. Picture quality is great, but the subtitles are often atrocious. I really want to replace them with legit releases, but I'm not down with the orange brick UK releases which makes the region free Kai Blu-rays the only valid alternative.

This thread best sums up the horrors inflicted by Funimation on those sets.

I never liked Vegeta's Funimation voice actor.

Chris Sabat who plays like 90% of the DBZ characters? :P

The main issue I have with Kai is the inconsistent artwork. One minute you're watching a super nice shot from the old series in glorious HD, then suddenly you're watching a lazily re-trace scene that looks like something a 14 year old kid would unleash on Deviantart. I know why they had to redraw a lot of the flashing scenes, but they're so hard on the eyes.

Yeah, it was really jarring when the art style completely changes for a few frames.

Apparently Kai is being aired in the UK, but I don't think I get that channel.

At the moment my definitive version of DBZ is a cheap set of Hong Kong bootlegs containing rips of the Dragon Box releases. Picture quality is great, but the subtitles are often atrocious. I really want to replace them with legit releases, but I'm not down with the orange brick UK releases which makes the region free Kai Blu-rays the only valid alternative.

You didn't import the FUNI Dragon Boxes then? They are really good. Think they are out of print now.

It sucks we got the Oranges Bricks, if we got the Dragon Boxes I would have rebought them instantly, but the Oranges Bricks would have been a lot cheaper for Manga UK.

Saying that, they must have sold very well over here for Manga to be actually releasing One Piece, they had a lot riding on whether the Orange Bricks sold or not. Toei were charging up the wazzu for the One Piece licence and Manga didn't think it would sell enough to make any profit.

Kanzenshuu did an interview in one of their podcast with one of the marketing guys from Manga UK, I thought it was pretty interesting.

I'm excited for the new movie, mostly because Akira Toriyama is on board. Say what you will about the man, at least he knows how to keep things fun, and power levels logically consistent (like the way he played with characters' strength in the Buu Saga). In Toei plots, random aliens are stronger than Cell, instead.

Child voice. When Goku grew up, they tried to change it to a male voice, but viewers complained. In Portugal, it was roughly the same thing, except a man voiced him as a child from the beginning, so it worked.

It's still jarring, because Goku actually looks like a man, not a boy (like Naruto or Luffy).

Well I finally finished Code Geass R1, let me just say am i glad I never watched it whilst it was airing. That ending was just...Not even an ending of any kind.

Ho ho ho, same here man. I picked up Code Geass when it was 4 episodes into R2, the wait for the second season would have killed me if I watched it as it aired.

EVANGELION MUSIC MIND FUCKERY TIME

There was something about this track I thought was familiar but couldn't put my tongue on it, until last night..

And it's not just in the first track either!

Edited by Debug Mode

That reminds me, i've had NGE sitting on my shelf for years and still havn't watched it. I think i got a few episodes in then just stopped and left it for some reason....well might as well watch it now.

Edit:Ah now i know why i didn't watch it, because i foolishly bought a bootleg copy. Disappointed martins :(

Edited by martinist