NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

Well damn, is this all because of that Birthday card? :heh:

Me, I much preferred Brotherhood to the original. The plot felt more cohesive, more expansive, and it did a bit more of world-building and characterization on secondary characters.

The fact that the original series seemed to leave plot points unresolved (or with a rushed conclusion) always bugged me. Characterization for the main characters and villains was top notch, though, something I always appreciated. But half-explanations and plot points coming out of nowhere hurt it a lot, I think.

As for the "Führer" thing, that was something the English translation came up with in the first anime. King Bradley always had the title of "Supreme Commander" (or similar) in the manga, I think, changing to "Führer" because of the first anime.

I'm re-watching Brotherhood at the minute.

I agree with you Mokong about the two different endings. I feel Brotherhood delivers what the fans want. Everything ends up all right, the brothers re-united, Mustang gets his sight back etc. Where as FMA is very sad ending, if you ignore all the rubbish about passing through the portal and coming to our world (which when compared to Brotherhood is embarrassing story telling).

I'm probably going to re-watch FMA afterwards, this time I'm going to pay more attention to Scar. In Brotherhood I find myself constantly changing opinion on him, such a dynamic character portrayal. One minute the show wants you to hate him, then pity him, side with him.

Well damn, is this all because of that Birthday card? :heh:

Haha kinda, I guess it was a "catalyst", haha.

{EDIT: Actually yes it's all your fault, I spent 4 days basically doing nothing but eat, watch FMAB, sleep and repeat... Wife even gave out to me for continuing to watch while feeding the baby :heh:

But I thank you for it, the show was fully worth the watch :D}

I had always intended but kept forgetting and/or saying I'll get it "later". Seeing that card just reminded me and I said "damnit how have I left it this long" :heh:

It's a bloody shame Rapture TV didn't last long, that's where I watch the first show. No TV channels here anymore for good anime.

Me, I much preferred Brotherhood to the original. The plot felt more cohesive, more expansive, and it did a bit more of world-building and characterization on secondary characters.

There was also alot more secondary characters too like the people from Xing which really added something extra to the plotline.

The fact that the original series seemed to leave plot points unresolved (or with a rushed conclusion) always bugged me. Characterization for the main characters and villains was top notch, though, something I always appreciated. But half-explanations and plot points coming out of nowhere hurt it a lot, I think.

What in the first did you feel was a left unresolved or half explanation?

It's been ages since I last watched it but I don't recall ever thinking anything was left unresloved or anything coming from nowhere? Nor did I find the conslusion rushed as I mentioned in my previous post I loved the ending in FMA too, even if it was a fairly sad ending.

As for the "Führer" thing, that was something the English translation came up with in the first anime. King Bradley always had the title of "Supreme Commander" (or similar) in the manga, I think, changing to "Führer" because of the first anime.

Ah that explains a lot so, as I said never read the Manga so wouldn't have known that. Did the manga still use the same year dates though? Like the years of birth and death on grave stones?

Wonder why for Brotherhood then they didn't change it back to "Supreme Commander" so. It was because of the "Fuhrer" that I was expecting that part to remain similar to the first anime. The large emphasis on the blonde hair and blue eyes of Amestris soldiers during the Isvhal War didn't help either :heh:

I agree with you Mokong about the two different endings. I feel Brotherhood delivers what the fans want. Everything ends up all right, the brothers re-united, Mustang gets his sight back etc. Where as FMA is very sad ending, if you ignore all the rubbish about passing through the portal and coming to our world (which when compared to Brotherhood is embarrassing story telling).

Yeah giving an ending that the fans want is always good, though I do love it (maybe a little bit more) when you don't get the full happy ending. Just for the surprise/shock value in it.

FMA the ending was very much a combination of happy and sad elements. Al gets his body back but Ed gets lost in the process.

Thinking about it more maybe the FMA ending/story suffered a bit from not having that God/Truth character inside the gate like Brotherhood had.

In Brotherhood I was actually expecting Roy to not get his sight back so was surprised when everyone ended up happy :heh: Roy having his "vision" for a better world/country becoming Fuhrer but remaining blind I thought was a good way to go.

Was even more surprised then when the old guy Grumman actually became Fuhrer in the end :heh:

Though I guess as Roy didn't open the gate of his own free will it's prolly better for him to have his toll refunded :heh:

Edited by Mokong
Automerged Doublepost

FMA: Brotherhood is so much better than the original. :D The animation itself is great.

Not that I didn't enjoy the original especially the ending. :p

NOW!

I'm currently in the midst of watching a lot of new fall shows which is exciting. It's the first time I've kept up to date with a lot of them and kept going. It's much easier now though, as I've added it in to my life schedule. :)

Isla, finished Magical Lyrical Nanoha and Angel Beats.

One thing FMA stumps FMAB is the intro music. Brotherhood's apart from the first one are poor, where as FMA had several decent songs.

Haha kinda, I guess it was a "catalyst", haha.

{EDIT: Actually yes it's all your fault, I spent 4 days basically doing nothing but eat, watch FMAB, sleep and repeat... Wife even gave out to me for continuing to watch while feeding the baby :heh:

But I thank you for it, the show was fully worth the watch :D}

I had always intended but kept forgetting and/or saying I'll get it "later". Seeing that card just reminded me and I said "damnit how have I left it this long" :heh:

It's a bloody shame Rapture TV didn't last long, that's where I watch the first show. No TV channels here anymore for good anime.

Well, even if it was accidental, I'm glad I could be of service :grin:

And I don't know what "Rapture TV" is, but it seems we were introduced to FMA in the same manner: with a channel (which specializes in different, original programmes) airing the original FMA and getting us addicted.

What in the first did you feel was a left unresolved or half explanation?

It's been ages since I last watched it but I don't recall ever thinking anything was left unresloved or anything coming from nowhere? Nor did I find the conslusion rushed as I mentioned in my previous post I loved the ending in FMA too, even if it was a fairly sad ending.

Actually plenty of stuff:

-Envy tended to ruin scenes for no good reason. Hughes is about to be killed by Lust, but Maria Ross appears to save th-oh wait, that was Envy (and why did Envy save Hughes, only killing him when he was found out? I always thought that was fishy, but nothing ever came of it). And that sad moment where Sloth dies and Winry cries saying "If you don't cry, I will cry for you"? Yup, that was also Envy;

-Speaking of Hughes' death, besides Winry's angst, little came of it. It barely affected Mustang's characterization and side of the story, and even revealing his death to Ed was sudden and only served for Envy to taunt him later;

-The brothers learn a LOT of stuff from the 5th Lab incident. Why is their next course of action to visit their teacher? Now I know it was because, in the manga, not much happened in the 5th Lab, so that visit made more sense. But after such a radical change, why keep it loyal to the manga?;

-Scar's character development, which I was loving, was doing pretty well for his redemption, with him protecting the refugees... but when he finds out what his brother was doing, he just says "screw it" and decided that murdering several soldiers in order to create a dangerous artifact counts as redemption;

-The homunculi's biology. A homunculus can only be killed if they are near their original remains...so, Envy and Gluttony were effectively indestructible? Forever? And nobody mentions this?

-Who was Gluttony in life, really?

Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but I do think there were plot threads that were unpursued or badly explained.

Ah that explains a lot so, as I said never read the Manga so wouldn't have known that. Did the manga still use the same year dates though? Like the years of birth and death on grave stones?

I honestly don't remember if dates appeared clearly on gravestones or not, but I'm pretty sure that Ed's watch still had that date. I don't think the author intended the years to mean anything, though.

Wonder why for Brotherhood then they didn't change it back to "Supreme Commander" so. It was because of the "Fuhrer" that I was expecting that part to remain similar to the first anime. The large emphasis on the blonde hair and blue eyes of Amestris soldiers during the Isvhal War didn't help either :heh:

The version I watched alternated between the titles at first before settling on High/Supreme Commander (it was sloppy translation work from an official source, but the subtitles were released in PT-Portuguese days after airing in Japan, so I can't complain :heh:), but I'm guessing certain sources kept the "Führer" due to familiarity with the first anime.

The blonde hair illustrated the "racial purge" aspect pretty well, but personally I never saw any connections with the nazis (Probably because the nature of their "purge" was vastly different).

One thing FMA stumps FMAB is the intro music. Brotherhood's apart from the first one are poor, where as FMA had several decent songs.

Well, allow me to disagree. FMA's music is good, but Brotherhood is better. That fifth opening is fantastic.

Well, even if it was accidental, I'm glad I could be of service :grin:

And I don't know what "Rapture TV" is, but it seems we were introduced to FMA in the same manner: with a channel (which specializes in different, original programmes) airing the original FMA and getting us addicted.

Interesting, which channel did you watch it on if it wasn't Rapture? I thought they were the only ones who showed it?

Actually plenty of stuff:

-Envy tended to ruin scenes for no good reason. Hughes is about to be killed by Lust, but Maria Ross appears to save th-oh wait, that was Envy (and why did Envy save Hughes, only killing him when he was found out? I always thought that was fishy, but nothing ever came of it). And that sad moment where Sloth dies and Winry cries saying "If you don't cry, I will cry for you"? Yup, that was also Envy;

-Speaking of Hughes' death, besides Winry's angst, little came of it. It barely affected Mustang's characterization and side of the story, and even revealing his death to Ed was sudden and only served for Envy to taunt him later;

-The brothers learn a LOT of stuff from the 5th Lab incident. Why is their next course of action to visit their teacher? Now I know it was because, in the manga, not much happened in the 5th Lab, so that visit made more sense. But after such a radical change, why keep it loyal to the manga?;

-Scar's character development, which I was loving, was doing pretty well for his redemption, with him protecting the refugees... but when he finds out what his brother was doing, he just says "screw it" and decided that murdering several soldiers in order to create a dangerous artifact counts as redemption;

-The homunculi's biology. A homunculus can only be killed if they are near their original remains...so, Envy and Gluttony were effectively indestructible? Forever? And nobody mentions this?

-Who was Gluttony in life, really?

Ah good points guess I never really thought about them that much

I guess the Envy stuff you mention is pretty valid, though I would think Envy just likes messing with peoples heads

Though now that you mention it what you say about any after effects resulting from Hughes' death Roy's character didn't change/grow much based on it as much as it did in Brotherhood and made his death more meaningful.

On Evny and Gluttony, I think I did think about that at the time, but as they both survived and took part in the movie I figured that was intentional... though I would have loved to get some backstory on Gluttony too and find out who he was and who tried to bring him back

The version I watched alternated between the titles at first before settling on High/Supreme Commander (it was sloppy translation work from an official source, but the subtitles were released in PT-Portuguese days after airing in Japan, so I can't complain :heh:), but I'm guessing certain sources kept the "Führer" due to familiarity with the first anime.

Ah well I watched the official english dub so it was Fuhrer all the way.

The blonde hair illustrated the "racial purge" aspect pretty well, but personally I never saw any connections with the nazis (Probably because the nature of their "purge" was vastly different).

I always thought of it when they made a point of enphasising the blonde hair and blue eyes that it was meant to symbolise the "Aryan race" the Nazi's sought to create... maybe I just looked too far into it given that I had seen FMA already. Don't know if the similar scenes in FMA highlighted the hair and eyes as much and if they did I certainly didn't make any connection till the end

Well, allow me to disagree. FMA's music is good, but Brotherhood is better. That fifth opening is fantastic.

Yeah some of the Brotherhood music is pretty good though overall I love "Rewrite" and "Ready Steady Go" from FMA as still the best... hell I imported the first Ouenden game just because "Ready Steady Go" was on it, haha

Anyway, I started re-watching FMA just now, haha. Prolly won't watch as much to get through it all in 4days ... maybe in a week :heh:

Interesting, which channel did you watch it on if it wasn't Rapture? I thought they were the only ones who showed it?

It was a Portuguese channel, I was just making an observation. Sorry about that.

Ah right didn't think about us being in different countries, haha.

Actually one other thing at the end of Brotherhood that caught me off gaurd

Ed actually got TALLER :wow:

When he was saying goodbye to Winry at the train and they hugged then it gave a sideview of them both hugging. When he moved away and was now taller than her I actually had to rewind and watch again to make sure I wasn't seeing things

That's pretty much makes it a 100% happy ending, the Ed in the first anime never got taller, poor guy. Being short myself I know how he feels :heh:

We all knew what THAT was going to be though, let's be honest here =P

But good to see that Naruto has finally progressed to the stage to reveal it.

Actually one other thing at the end of Brotherhood that caught me off gaurd

Ed actually got TALLER :wow:

When he was saying goodbye to Winry at the train and they hugged then it gave a sideview of them both hugging. When he moved away and was now taller than her I actually had to rewind and watch again to make sure I wasn't seeing things

That's pretty much makes it a 100% happy ending, the Ed in the first anime never got taller, poor guy. Being short myself I know how he feels :heh:

Ed got taller earlier.

Tall+Ed+is+tall.jpg

128884629096334119.jpg

Still an awesome thing to see.

Ed got taller earlier.

Tall+Ed+is+tall.jpg

128884629096334119.jpg

Still an awesome thing to see.

Really...

I only noticed at the end, haha, is that screen from when Winry went home and found Ed in her room as she was about to change, man I laughed so hard at that scene, haha

I've 4 series from last season I haven't finished yet, yet with my mate have already started a few Autumn shows, Ika Musume season 2, CubeXCursedXCurious and Mashiro Iro Symphony. Also planning to start Un-Go and Mirai Nikki, Man having a job really made me cut back last season hence why I have a few left unfinished.

I finally mustered up the strength to watch the very original Gundam series this week, watched it all and fucking loved it. Probably the oldest anime tv series I've watched too..

But with this, I have taken a step into the massive Universal Century storyline. I cannot wait to star Zeta Gundam. Shame they haven't bothered licensing it here and my lust for the best quality has given me a torrent that is going to take ages to complete..

They've delayed the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya DVD and blu ray till the end of February next year, very disappointed.

so they only managed to go 1 entire episode without ichigo having his power return.... haha

I haven't watched the episode but are you just talking about his fighting skills? They're not supposed to be considered his power, just what he physically learned while training as a shinigami. He still can't see spirits etc

I haven't watched the episode but are you just talking about his fighting skills? They're not supposed to be considered his power, just what he physically learned while training as a shinigami. He still can't see spirits etc

but they are saying that they can sense his power coming back!!! :o

The end of this weeks Naruto manga....HELL YEAH! :yay:

Hopefully we will get to see Kakashi unleash, as promised when he was about to fight the 7 swordsmen.

I'm rewatching Death Note for the third time (I have all the manga volumes too) and must say again; nothing is on par with this. Absolutely nothing.

Such a brilliant anime/manga.

I'm rewatching Death Note for the third time (I have all the manga volumes too) and must say again; nothing is on par with this. Absolutely nothing.

Such a brilliant anime/manga.

I always preferred Code Geass over Death Note, probably because I watched CG first. It's not as dark, has ALOT more action in it ( giant mech fights FTW! ) but it still shares alot of similarities with Death Note.

I always preferred Code Geass over Death Note, probably because I watched CG first. It's not as dark, has ALOT more action in it ( giant mech fights FTW! ) but it still shares alot of similarities with Death Note.

Code Geass is good too but Death Note is in a different league entirely, sure it lacks the action Code Gearss has but the setting and mood it gives off is much better.

It's a class act!