Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2011/2012

flameboy

Thing is with Terry, he shouldn't be captain because he's one of the most despicable men and players in the country. but he also shouldn't be playing for England because he's also over rated cack!

As for England, just hope Harry doesn't abandon Spurs.

Anyone who doesn't think Harry would be perfect and do extremely well is just a tad naive and/or knows nothing about football.

Going back to the Terry affair; did I read that Rio Ferdinand thought it was a joke that Terry had been stripped...? You'd haver thought he'd be pissed off with Terry considering it's all about his brother. Unless I'm missing something!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who doesn't think Harry would be perfect and do extremely well is just a tad naive and/or knows nothing about football.

I'd challenge that, 'Arry has very little experience in European football, has won comparatively [to Capello] very little and can't use his master wheeler dealer skills on the international stage.

I'll concede he's probably best man for the job, but he's far from perfect.

I'd agree that at the moment Redknapp is probably the best man for the job but his record isn't exactly sterling, he's won fuck all and before Spurs he barely managed side capable of a top 10 finish in the premiership, not exactly the normal fit for an England manager. Then again, perhaps that's what they need, something different.

Yeah because trophy successful managers has done us absolute wonders in the past hans't it. Because training doesn't happen day in day out; a man manager who picks there players for the best system; a much more simplified style would work perfectly. Someone who would get his players a few days before a match and get the best out of them.

He'll also pick a great squad aI reckon.

I hope we don't get to find out.

Yeah because trophy successful managers has done us absolute wonders in the past hans't it. Because training doesn't happen day in day out; a man manager who picks there players for the best system; a much more simplified style would work perfectly. Someone who would get his players a few days before a match and get the best out of them.

In fairness you've got to go back a long way to find an English England manager who was 'trophy successful'.

He'll pick the same 'great' squad as Capello did, the best English players. You're theorizing that it will all work out rosy as you're in love with Harry but it could easily turn out to be as successful as his spell at Southampton was. His 'man-management; is great for players like King and Parker etc I bet Pavlyuchenko and Kranjcar don't share that same theory.

More xenophobic than racist. I agree, but I'd also say they were borderline whilst he was in the job. The media dictate who runs England and it's been that way since Keegan got the job.

Ah yes, xenophobic is probably the right word.

I noticed that at the end of the Boro/Sunderland game (which ITV completely ruined by going on about this manager drama far too much, by the way) that Alan Pardew was one of the people who had odds of about 12/1 to become manager.

I want him to stay at Newcastle obviously, but I think he could do a solid job. He seems to really know how to build team spirit, which England are often in dire need of, plus he seems to get very good performances out of somewhat mediocre players.

Probably won't happen, but an interesting thought.

He'll pick the same 'great' squad as Capello did, the best English players. You're theorizing that it will all work out rosy as you're in love with Harry but it could easily turn out to be as successful as his spell at Southampton was. His 'man-management; is great for players like King and Parker etc I bet Pavlyuchenko and Kranjcar don't share that same theory.

What a ridiculous thing to say. Pavlyuchenko probably wouldn't agree, but he'd only have a point if Spurs were doing badly. He's a great man manager with the players he wants; with England he'll have this EVEN MORE than he does at Club level; he chooses every single one of those players. Your point is about as valid if he chose players for England he didn't want... or players not being happy because they're not chosen.

At least Bent won't get a look in!!

And again, Southampton point is cack. He'll have the pick of the players and he'll do very well with it. Like you think I'm in love with Harry (I'm not at all by the way) you clearly don't like him and coming up with the most inept arguments against him; but then that's all anyone could have against him.

I just can't believe people don't see the football tottenham play, how well he's done with them and not want this with England. Hope England are as silly as some football "fans".

And Capello picks the best squad of players? You're having laugh aren't you?!

What a ridiculous thing to say. Pavlyuchenko probably wouldn't agree, but he'd only have a point if Spurs were doing badly. He's a great man manager with the players he wants; with England he'll have this EVEN MORE than he does at Club level; he chooses every single one of those players. Your point is about as valid if he chose players for England he didn't want... or players not being happy because they're not chosen.

And again, Southampton point is cack. He'll have the pick of the players and he'll do very well with it. Like you think I'm in love with Harry (I'm not at all by the way) you clearly don't like him and coming up with the most inept arguments against him; but then that's all anyone could have against him.

I just can't believe people don't see the football tottenham play, how well he's done with them and not want this with England. Hope England are as silly as some football "fans".

I literally disagree with everything in this post. However, I am relatively sure that no matter what I say, dazzy will still bum 'Arry (even if you deny it, it's pretty obvious), so I'm not even going to bother putting together a proper response. All I will say is an international manager can be the best in the world, but if there aren't enough high-quality players who can work well together, they ain't going to win anything. It's been a problem before, and it's a problem now, and it's not something any manager can solve.

I've no problem with him, other than the obvious.

It's hardly inept. You're spinning things to suit your argument. You're hardly a good man-manager if it only works for certain players, the whole point is being able to get things out of players that haven't performed in the past or haven't had much of a chance. Again you keep banging on about the football Tottenham play, is that with 11 men? is it total football? I must be missing the revolution every time I watch Spurs. No one is arguing that they aren't playing well, but keep your trouser tent pitched, it's hardly groundbreaking stuff.

So who is better than the players Capello has picked? without naming everyone.

Hart - Best English Keeper.

Cole - Best Left Back.

Terry - Personal feelings aside, he might not be at his former best, he's still a first choice.

Richards - Not a massive pick of Right Backs, but he's done well.

Wilshere/Gerrard/Lampard/Parker -Perhaps Tom Huddlesone? Jake Livermore?

Rooney - Again, who's better?

And you're foolish enough to consider Bent not getting a look in as good, he's one of the best English goal getters there is. Hardly coincidence that he didn't fit too well with Harry and his 'man management' skill at Spurs. Still, he was your top scorer in 08/09.

So who are all these great players Fabio hasn't called up?

It's absolutely impossible to keep everyone happy; because if you're not liked/playing you're going to be unhappy; good man management is about keeping your squad happy and, as you say, getting the best out of players, and even the best out of players who have seemingly "lost it", but again, Harry has a history of this too - just look at what he did with Kanu at Pompey for example.

And Spurs play some of, if not the best football in the league. Bias I quite clearly am, but quite a lot of people and pundits agree.

As for the England squad; the fact that Walcott is picked is the first balls up. And I disagree about Terry, not only is he scum, but he's not that good either. Capello plays with much better balance than Eriksson ever did, but as a whole squad I feel there's some hideous mistakes. Centre backs being one of the prime ones.

As for bent, I'm sorry, he's a small club player it's as simple as that. (I know Villa aren't a small club in the grand scheme of things, but currently that's what they playing staff and finances dictate) - yeah he scored a few goals, scores a few goals, but you have to play a VERY specific way to get that out of him and it's not attractive football, Spurs fans didn't like him because he offers NOTHING else, and misses WAY more than he scores. You can say Adebayor does too but he offers SO much more. Same with England, Bent just doesn't fit and won't fit. hate to admit it, but I'd rather Crouch than Bent and I don't like him either.

Rooney, Defoe, Carroll and Sturridge should be our 4 strikers.

PS And Walker is Englands right back :P

It's absolutely impossible to keep everyone happy; because if you're not liked/playing you're going to be unhappy; good man management is about keeping your squad happy and, as you say, getting the best out of players, and even the best out of players who have seemingly "lost it", but again, Harry has a history of this too - just look at what he did with Kanu at Pompey for example.

And Spurs play some of, if not the best football in the league. Bias I quite clearly am, but quite a lot of people and pundits agree.

As for the England squad; the fact that Walcott is picked is the first balls up. And I disagree about Terry, not only is he scum, but he's not that good either. Capello plays with much better balance than Eriksson ever did, but as a whole squad I feel there's some hideous mistakes. Centre backs being one of the prime ones.

As for bent, I'm sorry, he's a small club player it's as simple as that. (I know Villa aren't a small club in the grand scheme of things, but currently that's what they playing staff and finances dictate) - yeah he scored a few goals, scores a few goals, but you have to play a VERY specific way to get that out of him and it's not attractive football, Spurs fans didn't like him because he offers NOTHING else, and misses WAY more than he scores. You can say Adebayor does too but he offers SO much more. Same with England, Bent just doesn't fit and won't fit. hate to admit it, but I'd rather Crouch than Bent and I don't like him either.

Rooney, Defoe, Carroll and Sturridge should be our 4 strikers.

PS And Walker is Englands right back :P

Walker and Richards have both played under Capello, I wasn't referring to the latest 11.

The less said about your Andy Carroll selection the better. What you've said about Bent could be applied to Defoe, he's not a skillfull player, he's a greedy bastard, who often passes up an obvious goal for personal glory himself. If you're going on who has scored the most goals of English strikers, next to Rooney and Sturridge, it's Bent. You could pick Defoe as the 4th but you'd have 4 players of similar build, and the English love a target man.

Why is Walcott in the line up? to play wide and provide assists. Oh look, which English player has the most assists in the Premiership? why it's Theo Walcott. Who incidentally is equal with your beloved Gareth Bale.

I'm guessing Dawson and King should both be Centre Backs? Pipe down, Terry is still a first pick, prick or not.

Haha, I know he's been a bit back for liverpool, but he's shown glimpses and he was very good at Newcastle; I just feel out of all the big hold up players he's still the best and I think it's good to have that option.

And Defoe is SO much better than Bent; he can create goals out of nothing, Bent latches on to passes/crosses; big difference. Defoe also works harder and adds to the team much more than people think. And Bent has scored ONE more goal than Defoe, Bent plays every game and Defoe has barely started int he league this season.

As for Walcott, I think he so average, I'd prefer Chamberlain than him. I really think he is unbelievably dodgy. Lennons WAY better ;)

And yeah I would have King and Dawson.

Why is Walcott in the line up? to play wide and provide assists. Oh look, which English player has the most assists in the Premiership? why it's Theo Walcott. Who incidentally is equal with your beloved Gareth Bale.

Lets be honest though, if Ada or Defoe were knocking in half as many as VP Bale would be miles ahead.

Enjoyed reading Glen Johnson's backing of Capello in the papers today - "Sad news to see Capello step down. Good man and a Good manager." End of his England career?

Pardew for manager!!

It'll be Harry though. It's a shame, I can't see anyone else doing as good a job at Spurs right now...

It's an "exciting time" when there's talk of new managers coming in. But, we should be careful not to make Harry out to be a miracle worker. He's not a miracle worker. To put it into some perspective, Capello has won the league with every club side he has managed. 3 Italian clubs and one Spanish. He has a wealth of Champions League experience and won the trophy whilst managing AC Milan.

And even he didn't "crack" the England job.

Harry has done great things at Spurs. If we're going to go down the "they must be English route", then he is the best there is. I'm not totally convinced an English manager is the right answer...and I'm not sure we should be making our Redknapp to be a mesiah.

If I were him, would I even want the job? It's very prestigious being England Manager, but it's also a looooooot of fucking hassle at the same time. Just ask Fabio Capello.

Also, can we please stop talking about Darren Bent? The man has been dire this season. As have Villa. Just checked up and found that he has scored 9 goals, which is a lot (surprised me actually), but his all-round play is just...no. He would not improve the national team.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

It's an "exciting time" when there's talk of new managers coming in. But, we should be careful not to make Harry out to be a miracle worker. He's not a miracle worker. To put it into some perspective, Capello has won the league with every club side he has managed. 3 Italian clubs and one Spanish. He has a wealth of Champions League experience and won the trophy whilst managing AC Milan.

And even he didn't "crack" the England job.

Harry has done great things at Spurs. If we're going to go down the "they must be English route", then he is the best there is. I'm not totally convinced an English manager is the right answer...and I'm not sure we should be making our Redknapp to be a mesiah.

If I were him, would I even want the job? It's very prestigious being England Manager, but it's also a looooooot of fucking hassle at the same time. Just ask Fabio Capello.

Also, can we please stop talking about Darren Bent? The man has been dire this season. As have Villa. Just checked up and found that he has scored 9 goals, which is a lot (surprised me actually), but his all-round play is just...no. He would not improve the national team.

Spot on. Especially about Bent.

It seems to me that now Capello has gone, it gives everyone commenting on it licence to be suddenly very racist indeed.

'We need and English manager now, so nothing gets lost in translation'

'Should never have had a foreign manager in the first place'

etc.

I don't think it's just unique to us. The italian press have apparently run with stories about how he never got us and we never got him and I think there is a case to be made for that. So I don't think its racism as such more people displaying views about what was a fractured relationship in perhaps the wrong way.

For me it's totally different to foreign managers taking charge of a club team where they are in that system and part of it day in day out. A foreign manager coming into a county he has never played or managed in it must have been a very lonely job at times.

As a Portsmouth fan my feeling for Redknapp has been on off for years haha. I'd love him to become England manager but I know how Spurs fans must feel. I've often look enviously at Spurs thinking if we had managed to sustain what we were doing we could have been up there (was never going to happen with shit heap stadium) but that could have been us, think the basis of a great team in James, Distin, Kaboul,Johnson, Muntari, Defoe, Crouch. If we had continued to have similar levels of spending instead of flat out running out of money!

Anyway I divulge for me...whats the harm in giving Harry the job for Euro 2012 and then deciding after Euro's whether or not to quit England... or hell let him do it part time, I'm still not 100% sure international jobs are full time...he can still scout and watch as much footie as he probably does now whilst maintaining that day to day contact he loves.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!