N-Europe

Power Rangers and other shows...

Beast

Basically, this is a thread about old shows being updated for recent times or spin-offs or rip-offs or whatever. Two mornings ago, I made some porridge and I sat at the table and turned my television on. I was flicking through the channels when I saw Power Rangers Samurai on Nickelodeon and I'm pretty sure that there was a new Power Rangers show not so long ago, maybe a few months or something like that to do with cars (Power Rangers RPM or something?). Anyways, I thought I'd watch it for the lulz and everything about it was just...really bad. How many shows are there??? Just put the old ones back on, the monsters and the villain are loads better in Mighty Morphin'! The only good thing about the show is that they've used the old theme tune (updated of course) but yeah, they're just screwing with my childhood, lmao.

There are quite a few other shows that I watched that are now being remade. The new Dennis the Menace show is quite appauling. I prefered the old Pokemon and Digimon to the new ones but the new ones are okay but in saying this, I haven't really seen a lot of the new Pokemon shows. I think Drake and Josh are okay but they're just a white Kenan and Kel. So guys, any updated shows you like or dislike? Any updated shows you find better than the original? Any shows you think are rip-offs or whatever?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, this is a thread about old shows being updated for recent times or spin-offs or rip-offs or whatever. Two mornings ago, I made some porridge and I sat at the table and turned my television on. I was flicking through the channels when I saw Power Rangers Samurai on Nickelodeon and I'm pretty sure that there was a new Power Rangers show not so long ago, maybe a few months or something like that to do with cars (Power Rangers RPM or something?). Anyways, I thought I'd watch it for the lulz and everything about it was just...really bad. How many shows are there??? Just put the old ones back on, the monsters and the villain are loads better in Mighty Morphin'! The only good thing about the show is that they've used the old theme tune (updated of course) but yeah, they're just screwing with my childhood, lmao.

There are quite a few other shows that I watched that are now being remade. The new Dennis the Menace show is quite appauling. I prefered the old Pokemon and Digimon to the new ones but the new ones are okay but in saying this, I haven't really seen a lot of the new Pokemon shows. I think Drake and Josh are okay but they're just a white Kenan and Kel. So guys, any updated shows you like or dislike? Any updated shows you find better than the original? Any shows you think are rip-offs or whatever?

The Power Ranger shows change name/theme yearly now to match the Japanese show they take stock footage from.... though they are still (vaguely) linked/within the same Universe, as there always tends to be one episode each year that brings back the rangers from the previous years show.

Also we did have a Power Rangers thread a couple months back :wink:

But yeah I too have a bit of Nostalgia for the original Power Rangers, when they started messing with the name of the show is when I started to lose interest. Though I have to admit I have watched a few eps (and still do) as a guilty pleasure. Seeing some of the "team up" eps is always cool.... espcially the "Forever Red" ep... when I was skipping through channels and saw that for teh first time it was epic :D

And there was a series a few years back that brought back Tommy the original green ranger... I may have watched about 80% of that seasons eps :heh:

Basically, we lived during the best generation for Cartoons and Kids TV Shows in general

Nickelodeons offerings were great -

Argh Real Monsters

Doug

Rugrats

Rocko's Modern Life

Ren & Stimpy

Clarisa

Sister Sister

Keenan & Kel

Are you afraid of the dark?

Then slightly newer yet still awesome were the likes of Catdog, Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold.... it then got pretty shitty after the wild Thornberrys....

Spongebob is nothing compared to old Nicktoons..

and of course the cartoon network cartoons Dextors Lab, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, 2 Stupid Dogs, Cow & Chicken.

Older again were Killer Tomatoes, Denver the last dinosaur, Bike Mice from Mars, Street Sharks.

I just hope to god, none of the above get's a modern update... I don't like the new Thundercats look at all :(

I actually find myself flicking through the channels alot coming up to the kids ones, looking at my 6 month old and thinking "he'll never have anything half as awesome as I had growing up"

kids shows today just arent on the same level as they were 10-20 years ago

I know Freddie has his own thread here but it seems fitting to repost this vid here

that was my childhood, it was AWESOME, my son will never truely know awesome, sad fact :(

I actually find myself flicking through the channels alot coming up to the kids ones, looking at my 6 month old and thinking "he'll never have anything half as awesome as I had growing up"

kids shows today just arent on the same level as they were 10-20 years ago

I know Freddie has his own thread here but it seems fitting to repost this vid here

that was my childhood, it was AWESOME, my son will never truely know awesome, sad fact :(

I don't know about older kids but the younger ones have some interesting stuff at the moment. Octonauts is a good CBeebies show, and Peppa Pig is genuinely amusing.

When our kids were young we bought them some cool TMBG DVDs (Here come the ABCs, Here come the 123s and Here comes science). For anyone with young kids I heartily recommend them.

I like Drake and Josh but it's so Kenan and Kel, that's not a bad thing though. When I have a kid, I'm going to get the 90s shows and get him or her into those instead of raising it liking Hannah Montana and Sonny with a Chance and all that shit. It shall know of Dexter's Laboratory, Hey Arnold and other shows we loved as kids! haha.

Lots of nostalgia-rose-tinted glasses here :grin:

I did stick around Power Rangers a bit more than you guys, and I honestly believe some of the later series were better (In Space, Lightspeed Rescue, even Power Rangers Zeo). And yes, Dazz, there's a different Power Rangers team every season.

That said, cartoons from the 90s were the best. The 80s had catchy opening music, but that's it, 90s had the best animation and pretty good writing (as well as good music). Today's cartoons struggle to compare. Only Looney Tunes and old Disney shorts are as good as 90s cartoons, IMO.

Also, Freddie left this great song off that medley...

I hate the belief that cartoons were somehow better when we were kids. Now we just need a thread about how much better games were back in the day. :p

I doubt the latest Power Rangers series is any worse than the ones that came before it.

I hate the belief that cartoons were somehow better when we were kids. Now we just need a thread about how much better games were back in the day. :p

I doubt the latest Power Rangers series is any worse than the ones that came before it.

Despite the rose-tinted glasses, there has been a degradation of the effort put into shows on a general scale, I believe. Also regarding what children shows can get away with. A lot of shows seems to have become far too politically correct and painfully "clean" in their storytelling.

But again, it may just be the rose-tinted glasses talking. :heh:

Many of them really were unarguably better in the past, like Tom and Jerry, and Looney Tunes.

Undoubtedly some older cartoons were/are great, but I dislike when people act like there are no good cartoons anymore, while everything was oh-so-fantastic back in the day. A) You're only going to remember the cartoons you liked, and not the bad ones, and B) We all had terrible taste when we were kids, and we only remember Power Rangers and Biker Mice from Mars as great shows because we watched them when we were impressionable children.

So basically, I agree (even though I'm not a big fan of Tom and Jerry from any era). :p

But again, it may just be the rose-tinted glasses talking. :heh:

Probably. You're comparing the great shows of yesterday with the popular shows of today. I'm sure that ten years from now, we'll have a generation of people complaining about how much better cartoons were back in the early '10s.

Undoubtedly some older cartoons were/are great, but I dislike when people act like there are no good cartoons anymore, while everything was oh-so-fantastic back in the day. A) You're only going to remember the cartoons you liked, and not the bad ones, and B) We all had terrible taste when we were kids, and we only remember Power Rangers and Biker Mice from Mars as great shows because we watched them when we were impressionable children.

So basically, I agree (even though I'm not a big fan of Tom and Jerry from any era). :p

Probably. You're comparing the great shows of yesterday with the popular shows of today. I'm sure that ten years from now, we'll have a generation of people complaining about how much better cartoons were back in the early '10s.

There are a couple of good children's shows today that I like to watch such as Phineas and Ferb, Wizards of Waving Place (or something like that) and a couple of others like that. There were a few bad shows back then, there's no denying, but the quality in kids' television shows have decreased quite a bit and there are people older than me who even agree that 90s shows were better than today.

Just the other day, I watched an old episode of Dexter's Laboratory and just thought how awesome the show was and how kids will probably never know it. Same goes for Kenan and Kel, Ghostbusters, Mortal Kombat, Goosebumps and the likes. Instead they're brought up with iCarly, Hannah Montana and Sonny with a Chance (and yes I've seen all three and yes, I thought all three were quite crapness).

Saying that "there were a few bad shows back then" is an understatement if I ever saw one. I'm sure if we had a comprehensive list of all the cartoons little Dazz used to watch, it'd be 90% trash. ;)

And why would you like Hannah Montana or iCarly? They're aimed at children/tweens! Do you also watch Teletubbies expecting to enjoy it? If you'd watch Kenan & Kel for the first time today, you'd likely think that was terrible, too. You think anyone who grew up in the eighties thought Power Rangers was good?

I really don't buy that cartoons are so much worse today than they were back when we were kids, especially not when so many shows people remember fondly are so awful in retrospect. I think it's just us getting old and grumpy like our parents before us. :p

There are a couple of good children's shows today that I like to watch such as Phineas and Ferb, Wizards of Waving Place (or something like that) and a couple of others like that. There were a few bad shows back then, there's no denying, but the quality in kids' television shows have decreased quite a bit and there are people older than me who even agree that 90s shows were better than today.

Just the other day, I watched an old episode of Dexter's Laboratory and just thought how awesome the show was and how kids will probably never know it. Same goes for Kenan and Kel, Ghostbusters, Mortal Kombat, Goosebumps and the likes. Instead they're brought up with iCarly, Hannah Montana and Sonny with a Chance (and yes I've seen all three and yes, I thought all three were quite crapness).

Oh god Dazz. You're absolutely off your rocker.

You like the absolutely FUCKING appauling, cheap cheap laugh fest and immature Wizards of Waverly Place and then say how crap iCarly is..........Jesus man.

iCarly is one of the best shows recently, there is a reason it is such a wild success. The main characters are ALL fucking hilarious, especially Freddy and Gibby and the relationships in it are great. Gibby is such a comedic acting legend he is even turning up in films now (Bad Teacher).

Also Victorious is enjoyable. Not as funny or good as iCarly and a bit more annoying...but it is infinitely forgiven for the angel Ariana Grande.

Ariana+Grande+Long+Hairstyles+Long+Curls+v0jan7fqW3ul.jpg

Did you know MTV is doing an animated Ninja Turtles series featuring the voices of Jason Biggs and whatshisface (Sean?) Astin from LOTR?

And did you know Michael Bays is doing a live action film?

Madness.

Phineas and Ferb is quite funny. More so than I expected.

However...it just feels like it mildly captures the quirky magic of those old Cartoon Network shows. They were so dark. Dexter, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack etc.

Oh god Dazz. You're absolutely off your rocker.

You like the absolutely FUCKING appauling, cheap cheap laugh fest and immature Wizards of Waverly Place and then say how crap iCarly is..........Jesus man.

iCarly is one of the best shows recently, there is a reason it is such a wild success. The main characters are ALL fucking hilarious, especially Freddy and Gibby and the relationships in it are great. Gibby is such a comedic acting legend he is even turning up in films now (Bad Teacher).

Also Victorious is enjoyable. Not as funny or good as iCarly and a bit more annoying...but it is infinitely forgiven for the angel Ariana Grande.

Ariana+Grande+Long+Hairstyles+Long+Curls+v0jan7fqW3ul.jpg

Just putting it out there, I don't find Wizards of Waverly Place funny at all but I don't mind it so much.

I dislike iCarly because of that annoying girl (not Miranda Cosgrove but the one who plays her best friend), I can't watch the show without being irritated by her character at some point, she's too irritating for words (I think I've seen three episodes or something). I like the dude and Carly, they're okay, but I just hate her best friend, I think she wrecks the show for me, she's literally like a moaning old woman. Phineas and Ferb is probably the only recent cartoon I'd watch and laugh at though, I think that cartoon's great and very enjoyable.

I've not seen Victorious yet but I've been seeing a trailer for House of Anubis all over the place.

Saying that "there were a few bad shows back then" is an understatement if I ever saw one. I'm sure if we had a comprehensive list of all the cartoons little Dazz used to watch, it'd be 90% trash. ;)

And why would you like Hannah Montana or iCarly? They're aimed at children/tweens! Do you also watch Teletubbies expecting to enjoy it? If you'd watch Kenan & Kel for the first time today, you'd likely think that was terrible, too. You think anyone who grew up in the eighties thought Power Rangers was good?

I really don't buy that cartoons are so much worse today than they were back when we were kids, especially not when so many shows people remember fondly are so awful in retrospect. I think it's just us getting old and grumpy like our parents before us. :p

I doubt they'd be trash, really. Some shows I've seen may have been trash but I just liked a lot of animation. My favourite three cartoons used to be/are: Recess, Xiaolin Showdown and Samurai Jack (especially the first two).

I don't expect to like them but you know rubbish when you see it. Kenan and Kel's still funny, I showed my cousin last year or the year before an episode of Kenan and Kel and he laughed at it so I think it would stand today. Also, I'm not saying kids from the eighties would but there were more shows in the 90s than Power Rangers, lol.

However, I wouldn't exactly say 90s shows were crap...just really cheesy sometimes. I used to watch Disney movies a lot as a kid like Pinocchio, Hunchback, Beauty and the Beast and Toy Story (well, that's Disney Pixar but I still count it). But yeah, there were more good shows in the 90s than there are now in my opinion.

Phineas and Ferb is quite funny. More so than I expected.

However...it just feels like it mildly captures the quirky magic of those old Cartoon Network shows. They were so dark. Dexter, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack etc.

Yeah, I think that's why I like it. It reminds me a little bit of shows like that.

Edited by Animal
Automerged Doublepost