Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

Hero-of-Time

For me and the fetch quests, and in this one, it's not about fetching stuff, it's how woven they are into the story, if it makes sense why you're doing it and feels like an actualy thing you would be doing then I'm all for it. I hate it when you do it, but you're thinking "as if iod have to do this to get this/open this" or whatever.

When you see the water dragon in ss and you've already proven yourself a hero as you've already done one fetch quest for her, but that was great as it made sense to the story. So you've proven yourself once, when you go back to her she says "you must be the hero" as you've got a souped up blade and elias has told you to get the song. But she STILL challenges you once again just to "make sure". FUCK OFF BITCH, I've proven myself many times, it didn't make sense. She could have led me to the best boss battle there's ever been andi t would have still felt cheap. Collecting the musical notes was actually quite fun and in such a beautiful location, but it was a cheap gaming device.

The fire temple fetch quest was the absolute opposite and didn't even feel like it, because it was so embedded with the story. You get imprisoned and have none of your items, so you have to get all your items again. Fantastic loved it!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me and the fetch quests, and in this one, it's not about fetching stuff, it's how woven they are into the story, if it makes sense why you're doing it and feels like an actualy thing you would be doing then I'm all for it. I hate it when you do it, but you're thinking "as if iod have to do this to get this/open this" or whatever.

When you see the water dragon in ss and you've already proven yourself a hero as you've already done one fetch quest for her, but that was great as it made sense to the story. So you've proven yourself once, when you go back to her she says "you must be the hero" as you've got a souped up blade and elias has told you to get the song. But she STILL challenges you once again just to "make sure". FUCK OFF BITCH, I've proven myself many times, it didn't make sense. She could have led me to the best boss battle there's ever been andi t would have still felt cheap. Collecting the musical notes was actually quite fun and in such a beautiful location, but it was a cheap gaming device.

The fire temple fetch quest was the absolute opposite and didn't even feel like it, because it was so embedded with the story. You get imprisoned and have none of your items, so you have to get all your items again. Fantastic loved it!

Yeah to me the only part of Skyward Sword that felt didn't feel needed was getting the musical notes for the Water Dragon. As you say, she requests you to prove yourself even though you've met her twice already and she recoginsed you as the hero.

With the other dragons it would have been different as you hadn't met them yet so they would be fully entitled to put you to any kind of challenge they see fit as proof.

To me that bit with the Water Dragon was the only "fetch quest" where I felt "this is pointless", any other "fetch quest" kinda moment as dazzy said was part of the story and made sense. I loved going to the Fire Dragon as the whole stealth bit was a nice change of pace/gameplay and reminded me of Wind Waker in that early part where you need to sneak around a fortress.

I think the 4th dungeon is the highlight of this game. Everything just works so well, and the boss made me grin for ages. Dungeon 5 and its boss is good as well.

By the way, there are some good tracks in this game. I particularly liked the "dungeon clear" music and...

The Bazaar. Best atmosphere in the game, and brilliant the way it blended from stall to stall. MIDI still has some use!

:)

I really don't get the dislike for the music @Burny posted a great selection there

@dazzybee got it right about the fetch quests though they are all integrated into the story and seem almost not noticeable except that 1

I think they are far different from WW "oh you know we said you're ready to finish your ques but,well actually now there is this tedious fetch quest that is very disjointed you must do"

Just done fourth dungeon, fantastic. It had a real Wind Waker vibe I thought. The boss was great fun, and the cutscene afterwards was very cool, finally a bit of epic-ness!

Adoring this game, really really loving it. Yes there are flaws and dodgy parts to it but because it's just so much FUN it's forgiven :)

Yeah, I wasn't feeling this game either until just before the third dungeon which totally blew me away.

It's really picked up for me now. Still gonna be a while before I finish it though

Same here. I LOVED the opening, then when it went to shit it felt too familiar (forrest temple), loved it, but too zeldy. Then the fire temple (weakest bot for me) I was thinking "oh no..." then as soon as the fire temple was over it grew and grew into a truly truly magnificent game!

Shame we have to wait another 4, 5 years for the next one... :(

I'm not sure what it is about Zelda games but I never manage to play the entire way through without having a massive break of weeks or months half way through :hmm: It happened with Ocarina of Time, it happened with Wind Waker, it happened with Twilight Princess, it happened with Phantom Hourglass, it happened with Spirit Tracks and I fear I'm slipping into that period again with Skyward Sword :sad:

I'm planning on putting it on for a couple of hours at some point today to take care of the 4th dungeon but I'm not actually sure how much of that is desire and how much is me feeling like I should play it ::shrug:

They've all been great games, including A Link to the Past that I've had on hold for a couple of years now, and Majora's Mask for even longer, but they never seem to keep me locked in for the duration. Heck, it has even happened to Okami and that definitely won't be returned to until Skyward Sword has reached its climax!

Other than Spirit Tracks, I've never really got to a point in any of the games where I'm just not enjoying it any more. I almost always enjoy my time with them when they're being played but I have never been able to put my finger on the reason for this reccuring theme..

Edited by nekunando

This thread seems to be getting less and less replies now that people are finishing the game :)

Loving the bit building up to the 5th dungeon. This game gets better and better. Although I wish they'd made the new area you navigate through a bit bigger! You literally spend 10 seconds going from point B to point C.

Edited by Ronnie

Right before the final boss, all side quests completed all heart pieces collected.

Bit annoying how it you still have 2 hearts missing and you have to use 2 medallions, I like having max hearts. Unless I am stilling missing heart pieces, but I don't think I'm missing 8 of them.

The final dungeon was rather interesting.

Interesting good?

Haha, haven't decided yet :P It certainly wasn't what I was expecting, not even sure if it can be classed as a dungeon. Don't think it's been done in a Zelda before though.

Can't say too much without spoiling it really.

I don't want to tread on any toes, but about this final dungeon thing:

I'd say there are six dungeons + one puzzle-heavy mini-dungeon along the lines of Ganondorf's Castle in OOT. No real "item" or boss.

As with much of this game, I didn't like it, but I think I'm in a minority!

This thread seems to be getting less and less replies now that people are finishing the game :)

Loving the bit building up to the 5th dungeon. This game gets better and better. Although I wish they'd made the new area you navigate through a bit bigger! You literally spend 10 seconds going from point B to point C.

Agreed.

Did anyone get a

Wind Waker-y vibe?

How do you pick up bugs that appear on the ground after picking up a pot or rolling into a tree? Swinging the bug net doesnt seem to work and I seem to be having trouble getting a prompt to press A to pick up. The bugs either run away from me, or I accidentally step on them...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!