N-Europe

Dillon's Rolling Western

daftada

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/e3_2011/03/rolling_western/index.html

I saw the logo pop up at the end of the conference, turns out it's a new 3DS title featuring an Armadillo sheriff in some wierd western locale. Looks like it a combination of a tower defense game with Goron-Link style rolling attacks. Come to think of it, the presentation looks a bit like the DS Zelda titles, could be from the same team maybe?

Oh and it's an eShop game by the looks of it.

Edited by daftada

Armadillos! Crunchy on the outside, smooth on the inside. :laughing:

I watched a short video of The Rolling Western last night before going to bed - expected it to be a Wii U demo game actually. I'm glad to see its an actual game instead of a demo because I needed a jolt of originality from somewhere at this years E3. I thought TRW looked kinda cool and I look forward to finding out more about it! The hearts and stuff on screen definitely give of a Zelda vibe, it'll be interesting to find out if its the Phantom Hourglass/ ST guys behind this one.

• 4 months later...
Armadillos! Crunchy on the outside, smooth on the inside. :laughing:

Classic!

It looks like they're trying something a little different to normal tower defense games, when you collide with an enemy on the battlefield you switch to a separate battle screen. I haven't seen any footage of how it controls yet, maybe gyro for steering left and right?

Oh, and the more I watch the new video the more I'm convinced this is from the DS Zelda team, that music is straight from Spirit Tracks and the presentation just screams Zelda!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting pricing on this one...

Japan, ¥1,000 (?7.94)

US, $9.99 (?6.35)

Europe, ?10.00 (?8.46)

Hmm... :blank:

I reckon this would do much better if it was at the US price everywhere.

?9 seems a bit steep considering that it's occasionally possible to pick up some retail 3DS titles for around a tenner.

What does everyone else think?

I think we are getting ripped off, especially as it seems to be a very average game according to the reviews.

What is more annoying is that there is no demo, and unlike PSN & XBLA, where they have sales every week, this will be stuck at that price.

It's a shame as I really wanted to try this out aswell.

I was really looking forward to this game but the ?9 price just threw me off. That's the reason why I was waiting for some reviews to help justify this price. I've seen quite a few impressions from other sites including neogaf (thanks byranne) and quite a lot them like it. here's me thinking that the premium price was ?5.40... it's been shattered! but if it's a really good game that's worth downloading then I might get it.

What I want to know is whether or not the price of future eShop titles are going to be more expensive than this! Mutant Mudds is $8.99 in the states, meaning that we could see an ?8.00 price tag. but I know Mutant Mudds is an awesome game, I've read countless reviews & impressions and they've been raving ever since, the same can be said for Sakura Samurai and I know that I'll be getting both. but Rolling Western is currently an unknown.

But in the end this all falls down to a pretty poor pricing strategy or lack of one.

Here's the moment that a lot of you (myself included) have been waiting for!

Nintendolife's review of Rolling Western:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3dsware/dillons_rolling_western

Make sure to read the entire review. the main gripes are same ones that I've been fearing; left-handed control (im left handed!) and the price!

IGN's Review: http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/121/1219223p1.html

Do you guys remember IGN's initial thoughts on Rolling Western?

ONM's Review: http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/35896/dillons-rolling-western-review/

Edited by -Dem0-

Yeah, I love tactical defence and tower defence games, but $9.99 is a horrible price. In fact, I think eShop games should have a price limit imposed on them, otherwise the eShop is nowhere near as competitive as the App Store.

Sure, devs want to make money, but some money is better than no money...oh, wait, that doesn't fit psychologically.

Here's the moment that a lot of you (myself included) have been waiting for!

Nintendolife's review of Rolling Western:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3dsware/dillons_rolling_western

Make sure to read the entire review. the main gripes are same ones that I've been fearing; left-handed control (im left handed!) and the price!

nooooo Curse my left handedness.

Alright! So I've got it and I've saved the first town. So far, loving it! :D

For the record, I hate Tower Defence games with a passion; nothing puts me to sleep faster than a TD game (Sorry Plants Vs Zombies & Starship Defence). This takes a different approach and is really an action game with light TD elements; never will you find yourself just sitting around watching the game play itself, you're always running around fighting and doing stuff. So if you don't like the Tower Defence genre (like me), this game was made for you.

Now, onto the nitty gritty stuff. The controls feel great, EAD never disappoint in this regard and this game is no exception. It's fast, it's responsive, it's multi faceted and fun. Circle Pad is used to move, touch screen is used to roll (the length of your pull back strokes determines how fast Dillon rolls) and the L button is used for other actions. Unfortunately it doesn't support the CPP for left handed controls, but it doesn't require extreme accuracy with the stylus (it's mostly tapping and flicking controls, so if you can handle Rhythm Heaven DS with your right hand, you can play this game) The maps are also interesting and brimming with secrets for you to scout out and find, such as items, secret caves and mines (which change position every day and end up being your main source of income) but the TD nature of the game brings in an element of time management so you can't necessarily search the whole place in time (fans of Majora's Mask will get a kick out of this!) The actual bottom screen map is cleverly done too. There's a "Fog of War" element involved (think Advance Wars) where parts of the map are greyed out until you build your tower, so enemies outside of your tower's field of view are rendered invisible (of course, if your towers get destroyed, you lose sight of the enemy!)

The game is split up into stages. Each stage has you defending a town for 3 days (each day features enemies more difficult than the last and the mines change position each day); after each day, you can save your game in progress (quitting back to the world map or title screen will undo all of your save progress during that 3 days stint though - Majora's Mask anyone?)

Combat is fairly simple so far, but promises quite a bit with lots of enemy types and more moves and abilities made available later on. There's also additional items and upgrades that you can buy and find for Dillon as well (hi Zelda!) but unlike most Zelda games, money is hard to come by - you really need to spend wisely since you have to spend money on towers, items/equipment and the town's defences! (that's where Vanpool's Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland influence can be seen!) You also have additional optional quests with an interesting risk/reward mechanic (you can choose to take on optional quests during your 3 day stint, things such as defeating certain numbers of enemies or finding lost items hidden on the map. If you succeed you get rewarded with money, but failure to complete a quest during those 3 days will actually cost you money - so there's a bit of a gambling element involved!)

Speaking of Zelda, the presentation is VERY Zelda esc (specifically Spirit Tracks). The music and visuals will instantly remind you of that game. Graphics aren't the most advanced on the 3DS but they're clean, stylish and good looking. Framerate is kinda low on the prairie map, but rock solid and never slows down throughout.

If there's any complaint to be had so far it's that it kind of just throws you into the deep end and doesn't really explain everything (oh how ironic, considering how the Zelda games get blasted for being too handholdy!), the fog of war map stuff isn't really explained and neither is the fact that you have to visit the enemy spawn points, before they'll appear on the map!

So TLDR, the game's great so far and Dillon is a badass! (instant Smash Bros Material :D)

Edited by Dcubed

People complaining about ?9 for a video game?

Christ.

End-times are near.

I think a lot of it is because of the fact that Pullblox was ?5.40, and this game really doesn't seem to be as fully fledged/polished as that was.

So yeah, it's like paying more... for less. ::shrug: And that's never gonna go down well, is it? Then you've got the added annoyance of US peeps getting the same game for a fraction of the Euro price, further reason to complain. :hmm:

I really do think the price on this in Europe will hurt sales.

I'd definitely have given it a spin (sorry :heh:) at ?5, and think a lot of people would have actually.

It's wrong to expect itunes style pricing on the eShop, but at the same time, Nintendo need to be careful not to take the piss.

Well, I decided to get the game. simply because I wanted it all along, the ?9 price tag did catch me off but in the end I wanted to have some fun with Jir... I mean Dillon. even though the controls are funky, especially for lefties like myself :heh: I'm enjoying this title.

I've only played about 25/30 minutes but I had fun! the controls are weird and my hand got a bit tired early on seeing as I was holding the handheld with my left and maneuvering the stylus with my right. The only different ways to play (that I could think of) are by putting it down, or using the CPP...and then putting it down, or better yet the stand that comes bundled with Kid Icarus.

at first it was awkward but I soon got to grips with it, and the view from on-top was slightly refreshing. since the 3DS was stationary, playing with the 3D on was much easier! no movement, meaning I didn't lose the sweet-spot meaning it added an extra feel to the experience. the graphics on display are simple and the colours in use vivid. and the sound in the background is very easy on the ears, I really enjoyed listening to the music as it really went well with not only the display but the entire feel of the game.

even though the controls were dodgy at the start, it's nothing to worry about later on as you only drag down on the touch-screen to start spinning, the longer you hold down your slide, the more powerful it becomes. apart from that the circle pad is used for steering during Dillon's spin and walking/skipping/running (depending on how much you tilt the circle pad) when your not rolling. however during battle scenes the circle pad is not needed as you can roll using the stylus & change direction aswell by moving the stylus around. I enjoyed the battling with the 'Grocks' even though I had initially thought that it would be repetitive, but this isn't the case as you are later introduced to other moves and combo's through 'Practice'

I have yet to build/repair any towers or arm them with weaponry as of yet, but im looking forward to it. (no views on Tower Defence ATM)

those were my initial thoughts on the game, however this was only after 1/2 hr of gameplay. All I can say is that I enjoyed it and I wouldn't recommend this yet simply because I haven't played enough, I will however provide some more opinions a bit later on.

I'm waiting for Dillon's (Jiro is a much cooler name IMO) inevitable inclusion in SSBU ::shrug: so that I can kick some virtual A$$ along with Snake (Please Nintendo PLEASE! keep this beast in!) and Krom.

Edited by -Dem0-

I think we are getting ripped off, especially as it seems to be a very average game according to the reviews.

What is more annoying is that there is no demo, and unlike PSN & XBLA, where they have sales every week, this will be stuck at that price.

It's a shame as I really wanted to try this out aswell.

Theatrhythm has come out with its DLC on sale in Japan so you never know, eShop promotions are definitely a possibility.

I think a lot of it is because of the fact that Pullblox was ?5.40, and this game really doesn't seem to be as fully fledged/polished as that was.

Not defending the price, or slagging the amazing Pullblox, but Bill Trinen mentioned in the Nintendo Direct the other day that The Rolling Western has a good 20h of content packed into it. If true, thats not too shabby at all for a downloadable game. :)

Speaking as someone who has happily paid ?12 for a downloadable game and loved every minute of it, I don't consider myself particularly tight, but I agree with those who think the price for this is just a little bit steep. The key is impulse buying. This game looks quite experimental and so no one really knows how much they'll like it. ?5 is just right for an impulse buy, but ?9 is just that bit much more off-putting. Some downloadable games are most definitely worth ?9 or more (perhaps including this one), but personally, I need to experience the "must have" feeling to spend that much on this type of download.