NEurope
darksnowman

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

zlCfzRLm1b8NAo6VOg

"Pic of the day. We gave Marth a full makeover, giving him design elements from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and newer games."

I think I know who I'll be using.

What is your definition of veteran, Dem0, being in more than one prequel to the new instalment?

Pretty much. I just look at it as those who are still here from N64 & Melee are probably going to be staples from now on. Newcomers from Brawl wouldn't fall under that class IMO.

Other people often refer the original 12 characters from SSB on the N64 as the 'real' veterans, but yeah that's how I look at it.

Pretty much. I just look at it as those who are still here from N64 & Melee are probably going to be staples from now on. Newcomers from Brawl wouldn't fall under that class IMO.

Other people often refer the original 12 characters from SSB on the N64 as the 'real' veterans, but yeah that's how I look at it.

Haha, I thought so ;) Your list wasn't only N64 veterans, nor all, including Brawl veterans.

I sure hope they put in Lucas, Dedede and Rob next to those on your list though!

To weigh in on the FE character debate, I want Lucina!

That or your own Awakening avatar, although I'm not sure if that'd really be possible or not.

Haha, I thought so ;) Your list wasn't only N64 veterans, nor all, including Brawl veterans.

I sure hope they put in Lucas, Dedede and Rob next to those on your list though!

Can take or leave RoB and maybe even Lucas(tbh I'd rather Lucas over Ness essentially, but I recognise their cloneish nature) - Dedede however is an absolute must for me. He is/was unique in such a way and I love that; he's gotta be in it. I guess Rob's unique too but then...he feels less distinctive maybe? Iono.

Tbh I want to see the whole Brawl roster back(could drop a couple...sonic? snake - hes ok/unique but i wouldnt miss him in a placement sense, maybe drop lucario in favour of something/someone else - not neccessarily like him, poss drop meta knight(again he's fun etc but ended up banned from tourneys no?)...yeah my list could go on so maybe I'll stop)

Haha, It just crossed my mind we totally forgot Zelda/Sheik as veterans! Although I could never really get used to their fightingstyle they are too much of an icon to be left out...

Trust me Snake has ZERO chance of returning. Kojima gave us the middle finger last generation, now he can shove it up his @$$!

Haha, It just crossed my mind we totally forgot Zelda/Sheik as veterans!

Ah...

Probably because I don't like her :p

Namco Bandai?

Could be, although I can't think of anything off the top of my head in their back catalogue that assures me that they will do a better job.

Could be, although I can't think of anything off the top of my head in their back catalogue that assures me that they will do a better job.

Soul Calibur 5 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 have excellent net code although for some reason the Wii U version of Tekken lacks pair play (2 players on 1 system online) and lobbies but it's still very fast. I have no doubt that Namco will do a good job with Smash Bros online

Soul Calibur 5 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 have excellent net code although for some reason the Wii U version of Tekken lacks pair play (2 players on 1 system online) and lobbies but it's still very fast. I have no doubt that Namco will do a good job with Smash Bros online

Thanks for this update, I genuinely don't play Namco games that much so it's interesting to hear other people's experiences. I'm taking it that neither of those were running on a Nintendo console though?

I suppose the question is how much of an influence can Namco have on the situation? If Nintendo's server architecture is very behind the times then there is little that they could do to change that I would think. By comparison Xbox (from what I have heard) works very hard to make things easier for developers to create the back-end for this kind of online stuff.

Trust me Snake has ZERO chance of returning. Kojima gave us the middle finger last generation, now he can shove it up his @$$!

I don't think Sakurai thinks this way.

Thanks for this update, I genuinely don't play Namco games that much so it's interesting to hear other people's experiences. I'm taking it that neither of those were running on a Nintendo console though?

I suppose the question is how much of an influence can Namco have on the situation? If Nintendo's server architecture is very behind the times then there is little that they could do to change that I would think. By comparison Xbox (from what I have heard) works very hard to make things easier for developers to create the back-end for this kind of online stuff.

I've played Tekken Tag Tournament 2 online for Wii U and PS3. They performed similarly well with little to no lag. Most fighting games use peer to peer connections so Nintendo's servers will only be used for matchmaking, after that the amount of lag depends on the connection quality of the people playing. There may be a lack of features such as inviting friends to matches, setting private lobbies, voice chat, watching other people fight while you wait your turn etc. but at the very least there won't be lag.

Another thing to note is that the Wii U has much faster WiFi capabilities than the Wii. I can only get 3mbps on Wii but with Wii U I can get 15mbps, that's 5x faster.

Soul Calibur 5 wasn't, but Tekken Tag 2 is on the Wii U.

And to weigh in on the conversation, the Namco team working on Smash Bros. 4 is largely composed of Tekken veterans, so TTT2 is actually a pretty good precedent.

I've played Tekken Tag Tournament 2 online for Wii U and PS3. They performed similarly well with little to no lag. Most fighting games use peer to peer connections so Nintendo's servers will only be used for matchmaking, after that the amount of lag depends on the connection quality of the people playing. There may be a lack of features such as inviting friends to matches, setting private lobbies, voice chat, watching other people fight while you wait your turn etc. but at the very least there won't be lag.

Another thing to note is that the Wii U has much faster WiFi capabilities than the Wii. I can only get 3mbps on Wii but with Wii U I can get 15mbps, that's 5x faster.

Fair point about peer to peer.

Honestly though, 3mbps of bandwidth should be more than enough to process the data coming from either side. Latency is going to have a much bigger impact and I would think that the improvement will be due to the RF isolation built into the Wii U because of the relatively complex array of wireless cards that it has to contain. This will reduce the interference, frame collision issues and combined with better (read higher quality since the Wii was released) amplifiers then the symbols should spend more time being translated correctly at the other end and not have to be resent.

The Wii U is a 802.11n device so if it doesn't have the capacity to do 150mbps half duplex then there is something wrong (assuming it's 2x2 mimo working on a 20MHz channel which I would be very surprised if it's not).

I haven't clicked the link, but I'll check it out later.

zlCfzRL4SxAj7k0lds

"Pic of the day. Here are the familiar capsules--these guys deserve a prize for being in every single game. We gave them a cute redesign by shortening their length a bit."

I haven't clicked the link, but I'll check it out later.

zlCfzRL4SxAj7k0lds

"Pic of the day. Here are the familiar capsules--these guys deserve a prize for being in every single game. We gave them a cute redesign by shortening their length a bit."

Game fucking ruined. Fuck this shit!

It's a few months old, but I've just seen this and I think it's great :)

Ahhh, another BiTF classic. Recommend all smashers check out the comic if they haven't - he keeps it quite family safe and friendly but it's still awesome. Here's an embed of your video for you too.

Fair point about peer to peer.

Honestly though, 3mbps of bandwidth should be more than enough to process the data coming from either side. Latency is going to have a much bigger impact and I would think that the improvement will be due to the RF isolation built into the Wii U because of the relatively complex array of wireless cards that it has to contain. This will reduce the interference, frame collision issues and combined with better (read higher quality since the Wii was released) amplifiers then the symbols should spend more time being translated correctly at the other end and not have to be resent.

The Wii U is a 802.11n device so if it doesn't have the capacity to do 150mbps half duplex then there is something wrong (assuming it's 2x2 mimo working on a 20MHz channel which I would be very surprised if it's not).

Man I don't understand any of that last part :D

Man I don't understand any of that last part :D

kristoph1-glasses(a).gif

I don't wear glasses... but if I did, I'd do this all day.

The official FB posted some 3DS images.

I don't recognise some of them, but I was missing for a couple of weeks in October. Did some quick searches on Google and couldn't find anything for them.

1466242_732798690083277_1527211779_n.jpg1465181_732798713416608_1278371488_n.jpg1459929_732798743416605_1255740245_n.jpg528222_732798756749937_1829169566_n.jpg1453216_732798823416597_456979909_n.jpg1441590_732798820083264_1249353125_n.jpg1395400_732798856749927_1704304728_n.jpg1451523_732798873416592_1903225901_n.jpg1422614_732798880083258_1360122992_n.jpg574680_732798910083255_1066651474_n.jpg1470102_732798923416587_871573743_n.jpg1461004_732798930083253_2093991349_n.jpg

These haven't been shown on the official website either. They look really good.

My most anticipated game EVER!

I can't get over how awesome the 3DS version looks, I wonder if this can run in S3D?

If so they really are putting pokémon x and y to shame in the graphic department haha.

zlCfzRL9MH88bZr7t8

"Pic of the day. Marth's sword has a powerful tip! So we gave his sword slashes a sharp look with an emphasis on its edge."

I can't get over how awesome the 3DS version looks, I wonder if this can run in S3D?

If so they really are putting pokémon x and y to shame in the graphic department haha.

Yeah those 3DS shots make it look really nice, I think constantly seeing them besides the Wii U one reduces appreciation for it, but it really does look cracking. It'll be quite interesting having Smash in a portable format now too, oppurtunity for local meetups etc(yeah I've totes been watching the awesome Smash bros docu...)